Happy Consumer Story (Backpacking Tent)

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Carefreeap

Happy Consumer Story (Backpacking Tent)

Post by Carefreeap » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:31 pm

We're a harsh bunch when it comes to consumer products so I wanted to share a good story about my recent experience with a back packing tent. About 15 years ago I bought a Big Agnes Seed House 1 (a 1 person tent) from REI. About a year ago I noticed that the seam sealer was flaking off. I had higher equipment priorities for replacement at the time and put it off for a while. In the meantime I heard from a girlfriend who had a similar problem and Big Agnes replaced her tent. I also contacted them and recently sent back mine. Earlier this week I got a new Seed House 1 tent. This tent retails for about $300 at REI.

To keep this item actionable, please share your "Company did me right" stories.

ETA: No I don't own stock in this company but maybe I should! :wink:

hightower

Re: Happy Consumer Story (Backpacking Tent)

Post by hightower » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:33 pm

Good to know! I have a newer Big Agnes tent of some sort (a two person lightweight backpacking tent). I'll have to remember this if it ever develops problems. It's great to hear a company sticking by it's products like this.

furwut

Post by furwut » Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:41 pm

REI has a very liberal return policy. Makes me wonder how they stay in business. :shock:

Theseus

Post by Theseus » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:07 pm

furwut wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:41 pm
REI has a very liberal return policy. Makes me wonder how they stay in business. :shock:
They have a loyal following. Their prices are usually on par with other big companies or slightly higher. But I would never shop anywhere else if I can get what I need from REI.

Extremely knowledgeable sales staff. Great return policy. And great service. I will pay premium for that anytime.

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:14 pm

I bought a North Face tent in about 1978. Over the next several decades, they replaced my poles twice and repaired the door zipper at least once, maybe twice. They even sent me a complimentary tent bag once because mine had a hole in it.

As I recall I paid postage for shipping, but nothing else for all these things. The thing that makes it even more interesting is that I bought the tent used, not new. I expected to pay for all my issues since I was not the original customer, but that was not the case.

Quality companies give quality service. :happy

Theseus

Post by Theseus » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:17 pm

We have Delta faucets when we got the house built 10+ years ago. And I didn't know they come with a lifetime warranty. So our kitchen soap dispenser was broken, I was looking to replace it. A friend told me about the warranty. I called them, they help me identify the discontinued model. And shipped the parts first time around. Second time (just two months back)..they sent the whole new soap dispenser.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:26 pm

I don't think this guy has the same opinion of REI.
This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Carefreeap

Post by Carefreeap » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:32 pm

livesoft wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:26 pm
I don't think this guy has the same opinion of REI.
LOL, foiled by an REI #. Couldn't resist that 10% rebate! :D

StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:21 pm

Bennett trim tabs on my boat, I bought the boat used and had no clue when they were installed.

I had a problem with the control module and they sent me a new one.

They have a solid reputation for taking care of their customers.
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.

bluebolt

Post by bluebolt » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:25 pm

Lutron - the faceplate on a dimmer in my house broke. It was there when I moved in and I had no idea who bought it or when.

I called up their customer service. They sent me the current version of that dimmer with a return shipping label for the original one.

I was so impressed, I ended up replacing most of the rest of the switches in my house with new Lutron switches/dimmers. :happy

Tycoon

Post by Tycoon » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:42 pm

One of my Carver amplifiers stopped working. At the time it died I learned Carver had gone out of business. However, Bob Carver made an agreement with some outside repair shop to complete warranty work on Carver components. This third party repaired my amplifier and all it cost me was shipping cost to ship it to their shop. Return shipping was paid for by Mr. Carver.

Even though he was pushed out of the company he founded, and the company went out business, he honored the warranty on the amplifier (It might have even been out of warranty. I can't remember).
...I might be just beginning | I might be near the end. Enya | | C'est la vie

drk

Post by drk » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:56 pm

Carefreeap wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:31 pm
Adding this just in case that :wink: is not the knowing variety: REI is a consumer co-operative, so investing is a pretty low-risk endeavor.
furwut wrote:
Four years ago, they actually revised the return policy from life to one year because of abuse.

chuppi

Post by chuppi » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:10 am

They may not be around for long if they feel obligated to replace tents sold 15 years ago. :D
I work in customer service myself. I would have offered to sell the latest tent of customers choosing at 50% OFF in exchange for the old tent.

I had a very good experience with REI. Things seem expensive at REI but I will likely shop with them.
In September, I went on a 5 day, 250 miles solo bike-packing trip in Oregon. Before the trip, I got my bike ready at REI.
When I reached Crater lake, my bike already had problems with tubeless tires. There was a biking event at Crater lake and REI folks were there. They went out of the way to help me with the problem. They gave me some spares and didn't want to take any money for it.

Carefreeap

Post by Carefreeap » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:34 am

drk wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:56 pm
Carefreeap wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:31 pm
Adding this just in case that :wink: is not the knowing variety: REI is a consumer co-operative, so investing is a pretty low-risk endeavor.
furwut wrote:
Four years ago, they actually revised the return policy from life to one year because of abuse.
To clarify, all my communication was with the manufacturer, Big Agnes, not REI.

drk

Post by drk » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:33 am

Carefreeap wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:34 am
Ah, great. I'm glad you had a positive experience with them!

Carefreeap

Post by Carefreeap » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:14 am

drk wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:33 am
Carefreeap wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:34 am
Ah, great. I'm glad you had a positive experience with them!
REI is great too. Several years ago I returned a pair of boots I had bought on sale about a year before. I didn't actually try using them (being a Boglehead I had to finishing wearing out the old ones first!) and for whatever reason they didn't fit right. I still had the receipt and got a full refund.

REI is always my go-to for things like boots and backpacks. They have wonderful customer service and if I take the time to get the right person who checks the fit I'm always happy. I get myself in trouble when I'm in a hurry and just buy what's on sale. :oops:

LeviMama

Post by LeviMama » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:18 am

Simple Human. Happily sent replacement foot pedal mechanisms for both of my kitchen trash / recycle cans ($50 retail cans) when only one had failed. And this was about 4 years after the original date of purchase on the failed one. Works like new.

Bugaboo. Generous 3 year warranty on their premium stroller product. Replaced the seat frame on our Cameleon stroller after a stuck recline button issue two years into ownership. Replaced the chassis at some other time due to some other issue, can't even recall what but it was handled efficiently and with no fuss, so zero points lost from a customer service perspective. They even sent us a set of rough terrain wheels for the trouble! Rides like new almost 4 years into ownership, and we will be sad when our kid no longer fits or wants to ride.