Citi Price Rewind iPhone 7 Did They Pay You?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
TLC1957

Citi Price Rewind iPhone 7 Did They Pay You?

Post by TLC1957 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:58 am

Purchased a iPhone 7 60 days ago, filled out the form on Citi web site knowing the iPhone 8 would be released resulting in a $100 drop in price on the iPhone 7. A few days ago I get an email from Citi indicating they could not find a lower price. What ?if you visit the Apple Store you can buy an iPhone 7 for $650 not the $750 I paid. I called them and the customer service representative indicated they could not find a lower price!

So my first and last experience with the Citi Price Rewind is a complete failure. I think given how many folks who recently purchased and iPhone 7 and were looking for that $100 must have been significant hence they just said they could not find a lower price. What poor marketing on Citi part.

Oh why did I buy the iPhone 7 knowing the 8 would be out soon? Well the hearing aids I purchased from Costco did not work with my old 4S phone. I had a follow up visit with the audiologist who indicated if I had a new phone he could set up my new hearing aids.

So did Citi send you a check when the iPhone 8 came out? Should I just write it off or write them a letter?

LiveSimple

Re: Citi Price Rewind iPhone 7 Did They Pay You?

Post by LiveSimple » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:00 am

I would write off and enjoy life. What you got was a medical necessity.

denovo

Post by denovo » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:02 am

My understanding is they have a claim form you can file if you find a lower price they did not find. Surprised the rep didn't mention it.

C4NT

Post by C4NT » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:04 am

denovo wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:02 am
My understanding is they have a claim form you can file if you find a lower price they did not find. Surprised the rep didn't mention it.
Yes, there is a form if you found a lower price.

I've submitted about 5 purchases for rewind, and for all but 1 they found a lower price. I think I've gotten back over $100 in all.
$75 came from a washer this past summer.

Another advantage of using credit cards instead of debit cards.

brajalle

Post by brajalle » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:01 am

The paper form for Citi Rewind works great. We don't even use the tracking website honestly.

Angelus359

Post by Angelus359 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:46 am

I did one price rewind, and I had to use the PDF form
IT-DevOps System Administrator

TLC1957

Post by TLC1957 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:33 am

brajalle wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:01 am
The paper form for Citi Rewind works great. We don't even use the tracking website honestly.
It is not hat they did not get my request the problem is they indicated they could not find a cheaper price. Again how can that happen since it is listed on the Apple Store at a lower price?

I am thinking of calling again and ask to speak to a supervisor....??

Satin

Post by Satin » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:33 pm

The form submission doesn't just tell them about your request, you also submit proof of the lower price so they can credit you even if their tracker doesn't find it.

I usually go to the web page showing the lower price, like the Apple Store in your case. Then print to PDF and include the header/footer showing the date and website URL.

Normally they are great with crediting via the form, if I find a price that beats the tracker. One time I had to call to follow up. The rep located my form and credited my card right away.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:56 pm

I always do price rewind on everything and have been pretty happy. A pair of pants, phone case, video game—I would say I have a >50% success rate.

I also do strategic price rewinds to avoid shipping fees or capitalize on known upcoming sales. On a strategic purchase with intent of a price rewind I fill out the manual form For example, I would always fill out the manual form when buying something with the intent of securing a Black Friday sale price.

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:57 pm

TLC1957 wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:33 am
brajalle wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:01 am
It is not hat they did not get my request the problem is they indicated they could not find a cheaper price. Again how can that happen since it is listed on the Apple Store at a lower price?

I am thinking of calling again and ask to speak to a supervisor....??
Sounds like they made a mistake. I'd pursue it. Call them and have them go to the apple website where it shows a lower price. Also, you can take a photo of the product and email it to them. Then definitely elevate the matter to their manager and above until you get it resolved.

If it's as black and white is it sounds, I'd walk into a branch and talk to a manager there and threaten to cancel my business with them if they couldn't help me out (and do it if necessary). Have them call the credit card department from the branch for you and have them intercede on your behalf. Heck, if they can't resolve the matter for you, I'll cancel one of my accounts in sympathy (already on the chopping block) and when they ask me why, I'll tell them about their credit card incompetency. Usually, when they ask you why you're closing an account, it's boilerplate Q&A, often used to generate positives statistics, but I've used it as an opportunity to air out all my other grievances with the company, related or otherwise. I'm guessing I'm usually talking into a vacuum, but if it makes it to someone who matters, and they can do something about it, all the better. On the plus side, I find it reduces or speeds up the other boilerplate questions.

BTW, it's not surprising they're treating the retail customer poorly, because it's no longer a priority for them.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-citig ... F020150113

Nate79

Post by Nate79 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:18 pm

Fill out the form and send it in. No need to waste time calling, complaining, etc. Maybe their searching mechanism can't search Apple's site. Who knows.

TLC1957

Post by TLC1957 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:07 am

I called back and got another person,so helpful this time. She opened a new case and sent it to a manager to review. The manager asked for details via email which I provided,they will provide an answer with 14 days... fingers crossed 2nd time will work. I will report back what happens, thanks for those who responded.

TLC1957

Post by TLC1957 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:23 am

$100 deposited into my account 😀

Calling back worked. Lesson learned submit via paper and provide documents.

student

Post by student » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:18 am

Congratulations on the success. I just learned that they have updated the rules.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/changes- ... on-policy/

BW1985

Post by BW1985 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:43 am

Sounds like a lot of hassle. They advertise these benefits and they sound great until you have to spend so much time and effort to actually get the benefit.
"Squirrels figured out how to save eons ago. They buried acorns. Some, they dug up, for food. Others, they let to sprout, in new oak trees. We could learn from squirrels." -john94549

brajalle

Post by brajalle » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:18 am

TLC1957 wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:23 am
$100 deposited into my account 😀

Calling back worked. Lesson learned submit via paper and provide documents.
BW1985 wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:43 am
Sounds like a lot of hassle. They advertise these benefits and they sound great until you have to spend so much time and effort to actually get the benefit.
They really don't take much time to do. You really just get the form & proof and send it in. I see a yearly benefit of between $1-2k every year doing this - it lets me get black friday deals a month in advance without the hassle or limited quantities. It lets me buy from local retailers to help support them, I can pick an online retailer that doesn't have sales tax, better return policies, & offers free shipping for example, etc.

kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:07 am

I once purchased an expensive stroller at Kohl's, got a boatload of Kohl's cash and rewards points, 2% cc reward.

Then I price matched it to the lowest online retailer available to get an additional $90 off. They claimed to have not received my paperwork, though I had a confirmation e-mail receipt. The woman told me to try re-creating my PDF attachments as JPG files and re-sending. I asked her how to do that and she told me to Google it. I double checked my original e-mail, it was valid with proper attachments. I finally resubmitted the packet with the receipts and identical PDF attachments. Today they asked me to further submit my credit card billing statement for the period. Why don't they have that? They seem to be trying to dodge the claim, for whatever reason.

BW1985

Post by BW1985 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:42 am

kjvmartin wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:07 am
I once purchased an expensive stroller at Kohl's, got a boatload of Kohl's cash and rewards points, 2% cc reward.

Then I price matched it to the lowest online retailer available to get an additional $90 off. They claimed to have not received my paperwork, though I had a confirmation e-mail receipt. The woman told me to try re-creating my PDF attachments as JPG files and re-sending. I asked her how to do that and she told me to Google it. I double checked my original e-mail, it was valid with proper attachments. I finally resubmitted the packet with the receipts and identical PDF attachments. Today they asked me to further submit my credit card billing statement for the period. Why don't they have that? They seem to be trying to dodge the claim, for whatever reason.
Yeah this is the kind of crap I was talking about. They have everything they need but they still want to make you jump thru hoops hoping that you'll just quit. I'm not a fan of Citi to begin with.
"Squirrels figured out how to save eons ago. They buried acorns. Some, they dug up, for food. Others, they let to sprout, in new oak trees. We could learn from squirrels." -john94549