New mattress

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
msk

Re: New mattress

Post by msk »

Hmmmnnn. Nobody seems to have mentioned the age of the user? IMHO most people can solve their mattress issues by shopping around till age 70. Beyond that we all seem to have issues no matter what choices we make. I had access to a mattress factory. Visited the place and talked to the engineer in chief. Their popular mattresses are made to sit on solid platforms, not box springs and came in 3 degrees of firmness, ranging in price from firm, firmer and to orthopedic. Before age 70 I settled on firm+ a 1.5" thick layer of foam that he cut for me (if I recall correctly 20 Newton/sq m or whatever units they use for firmness) but you can also use those ready made tops that you throw on a bed from Ikea, etc. just to make you feel cuddly. Beyond age 70 it seems all my acquaintances are having a very hard time finding something that works. Does not matter much even when they have spent $20+k on a bed. Solution? Hospital bed! My 90 year-old mother was hospitalised for heart surgery 3 years ago and when she came out of the hospital she said that after many years that was the first time she woke up without aches and pains. I contacted the hospital and ordered her the exact same bed for her home. Expensive, but happy mother. I also got hospitalised for heart surgery and in the same hospital; and told DW to buy me the exact same bed for when I came out of hospital. I am still using it 18 months later. Offered to get DW one for herself but she is not yet ready to resign to fate. So complains of aches and pains each morning... As the Borg said, "Resistance is futile". Hospital beds are expensive and ugly and they keep reminding you of your fate, but they are comfortable and infinitely adjustable. If you are over 70, do consider resigning to fate. This is what they had in the cardiac surgery wing and what keeps me aches-free:
https://www.hill-rom.com/usa/Products/C ... gical-bed/
When DW resigns to fate, she will also get one next to mine :shock: We'll retain the double bed for cuddling up if and when since we have a very large bedroom :twisted:
victorb

Post by victorb »

Take your time on this one. It is a very very personal decision and some people love the Sleep Number Beds with the separate inflation bladders on each side. Some love the foam, latex, etc. etc. etc. I personally get too warm with the foam type mattresses. Put on your most comfortable clothes and visit the stores. So many now have remote controls and position you in a zero gravity mode. There are so many mattresses through mail order and with long trial periods (90-120) days. We are also in the market and we have looked at Original Mattress Factory and they have some good features. Sealy also had some nice products for us. It seems like so many manufactures have gone away from the two sided mattress and only one side is made for people to sleep on it. Original Mattress Factory still makes two side mattresses and a true working box spring with wood and springs. Some are just bases made from high density plastic and are a solid base. That doesn't seem right to me. Do your research and be willing to spend some time finding what works for you and your sleepmate.
Dan-in-Virginia

Post by Dan-in-Virginia »

I recently bought the top of the line Tempur Pedic Cloud Luxe Breeze. Despite it’s cooling technology, it gets hot.

My current recommendation:

https://www.saatvamattress.com/the-mattresses.html
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

El Greco wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:42 pm No one has mentioned a Sleep Number mattress. We've been thinking about one. At least the concept seems sound. Any opinions?
Sleep Number's concept is appealing, but for me there are two drawbacks:
— The presence of an electric pump that could break
— The air sac that could develop a leak
harrington

Post by harrington »

I love my Saatva......
fishboat

Post by fishboat »

There's lots of previous threads on this topic..might be worth some searching to find them.

Everyone's experience-needs is-are different.

I went through the mattress-replacement drill a couple years ago..after a high-end box-spring/inner spring set became less and less comfortable over the last few years of it's 11 year run. Toward the end it looked and felt fine, but was un-usable in practice. I don't doubt many could continue to sleep on it for years without issue. I have a good/no-issues back. I've been through the "need new mattress" drill 4-5 times in my life..it's a designed-in 8 year treadmill.

Two years ago I researched every option there is..the major (conventional) companies in this space intentionally make the comparative shopping process as much of a quagmire as possible. Under that mattress cover is all claims & snake-oil. Phooey...see ya.

My takeaways:

>Box springs are dead..along with buggy whips. Innerspring mattresses sit on solid platforms..and feel like it. They're (the good ones are) expensive and have lots of potential pitfalls ("pillowtops", sewn-in polyurethane toppers that both degrade much too soon). If they get uncomfortable a few years in..few limited-investment options are available. The "need new mattress" treadmill never stops. Put up with discomfort, buy a topper, or buy a new mattress..though some can be 'rebuilt' for a small-large roll of the dice fee.

>Air beds (Sleep Number, Comfortaire..) ugh.. Waay too much money goes into sales & marketing..they live on the push to new sales more than the pull of a high-quality product. I'd rather have that marketing money go into the product itself and lower the price overall. (for me)The most uncomfortable beds on the planet. Tried one and sent it back. A $20 Coleman air mattress is infinitely more comfortable..I use one regularly when camping and like it. High-end air mattresses "hammock" when adjusted softer and feel very hard-surfaced. When adjusted harder they feel like sleeping on the floor. Very pricey for air bags.

>"I'm all about my Leesa"..or "Casper" or "Purple"...slick-new-age "one-name' marketing on conventional polyurethane foam. Purple is new to me..cute purple pigment compounded into PU foam..undoubtedly the secret to a good night's sleep. PU foam..can be hot, certainly is expensive, and has limited service life. I do sleep on a Tempurpedic two nights a week..and it's comfortable, but PU still suffers from high cost and limited service life. The "need new mattress" threadmill never stops.

>I ended up with a latex mattress. Sleepez.com had the best overall package. I bought four layers in half-bed-slabs. I built my own platform, though they can be purchased in many places. Easy to assemble. You can design & buy half slabs in different densities to make half the bed harder or softer, as required by you and your partner. If you need adjustments in the future..just buy a single harder or softer half slab and replace a lower or upper level in your current bed. Limited investment rather than buying a whole new, "one size hopefully fits all" mattress for you and your other. Very comfortable, sleeps cool, hypoallergenic, long service life (20-25 years+). Can be pricey, but worth it I think. I looked local at bricks and mortar stores and what they wanted $4500 for, I bought online for less than $2k.

ymmv
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

blmarsha123 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:14 pm
UpperNwGuy wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:09 pm
f35phixer wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:01 am https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best- ... uy-online/

i use these guys for alot of purchases,

Heres a question, can you keep your old boxspring from your mattress from 15+ years ago and just replace the top?
You can, but if my memory is correct, Wirecutter recommends you get a new foundation.
When I was recently looking at a Leesa, I was told that not using a new foundation (or a flat board, platform) would void the warranty.
Here is what the warranty actually says. Were you told this by a customer service person?

In the what is covered section of the warranty:
Normal wear requires that a purchaser’s mattress be continuously supported by a matching, solid foundation, base, or frame substantial enough to support the mattress and occupant(s).

In the what is not covered section:
Damage from using an improper bed frame, foundation, platform bed, or adjustable base.
How they decide what is improper is not defined but it doesn't say it has to be a new support. If you are using an old saggy box spring or something like that its probably no good but my bed is just wood slats that the mattress sits on, no way for that to really go bad over time. https://support.leesa.com/hc/en-us/arti ... -warranty-
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

El Greco wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:42 pm No one has mentioned a Sleep Number mattress. We've been thinking about one. At least the concept seems sound. Any opinions?
Slept one several dozen times while visiting the in-laws. Without a shadow of a doubt the most uncomfortable bed I have ever slept on that isn't filled with water, and it is not like we didn't have enough opportunity to try all the settings. Just my one data point, but my in-laws hated the one they bought for their room as well and were pretty upset that they didn't bite the bullet in time to get a refund.
Drovor

Post by Drovor »

Drovor wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:37 pm
Sounds similar to what I read about the Brooklyn Bedding we just got. In our case, you can use a box spring but needs to have a certain spacing. For example, no more than 3 inches apart with no actually springs.

We've only had our medium firm bed a few days. A little firm for my side sleeping but will see over a couple weeks how it goes.
Just to clarify about Brooklyn Bedding's warranty, it was actually more than 4" apart. I could see similar warranties from other companies.

https://www.brooklynbedding.com/warranty

Brooklyn Bedding mattresses have been designed to be used on foundations with solid support with little or no give. This includes slatted wood or metal foundations with slats no more than 4″ apart, wood or metal box foundations, and solid wood or metal platforms. Substitution or use of improper foundations such as old box springs (5+ years or more) without solid support, slatted wood or metal foundations with slats more than 4″ apart, will void your mattress warranty, and all other warranties expressed or implied. In the event of a warranty claim, you may be required to provide proof of the quality and suitability of the mattress foundation. If you have any more questions on what type of foundation is acceptable before purchasing, get in touch with us, we’re happy to help.
rocket354

Post by rocket354 »

fishboat wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:48 am Purple is new to me..cute purple pigment compounded into PU foam..undoubtedly the secret to a good night's sleep. PU foam..can be hot, certainly is expensive, and has limited service life. I do sleep on a Tempurpedic two nights a week..and it's comfortable, but PU still suffers from high cost and limited service life. The "need new mattress" threadmill never stops.
I have an enjoy a Purple mattress. According to their website, the top layer is what they call hyper-elastic polymer, and only the base layers are PU foam. I slept on a Tempurpedic for years, and have tried many mentioned in this thread for multiple nights (Casper, Amerisleep, Tuft&Needle, Ghostbed) and the Purple mattress sleeps as cool as any mattress I've ever tried.

It is heavy (although not as heavy as a Tempurpedic) and it is costly (again, not compared with a tempurpedic, but it is a bit above many of its competitors).
anoop

Post by anoop »

I recently got one of these. It's working OK.
http://somniumbeds.com/
It is unique in that it uses plastic springs instead of metal ones.
fishboat

Post by fishboat »

rocket354 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:07 am
fishboat wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:48 am Purple is new to me..cute purple pigment compounded into PU foam..undoubtedly the secret to a good night's sleep. PU foam..can be hot, certainly is expensive, and has limited service life. I do sleep on a Tempurpedic two nights a week..and it's comfortable, but PU still suffers from high cost and limited service life. The "need new mattress" threadmill never stops.
I have an enjoy a Purple mattress. According to their website, the top layer is what they call hyper-elastic polymer, and only the base layers are PU foam. I slept on a Tempurpedic for years, and have tried many mentioned in this thread for multiple nights (Casper, Amerisleep, Tuft&Needle, Ghostbed) and the Purple mattress sleeps as cool as any mattress I've ever tried.
I'm a retired polymer chemist..."hyper-elastic polymer" could describe any polymer used in this product-space. Natural latex is a hyper-elastic polymer as is PU foam. There are many others (elastic polymers), but, in total, there are few elastic polymers that can be processed as, or into, foams...at least at an affordable cost and perform as needed in a mattress application. Purple uses a pigment to try to set themselves apart from other PU mattress suppliers. They may make a good mattress, as does Tempurpedic, but my tack on mattresses is a combination of "initial cost, service life, adjust-ability in use after purchase, sleep quality, hypoallergenic(no dust mites building up over time..google down pillows and dust mites..yikes..)..". For that reason, in my purchase, I opted to pass by PU foams. Other people value things differently, or have different needs..such is life..
blmarsha123

Post by blmarsha123 »

barnaclebob wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:32 am Here is what the warranty actually says. Were you told this by a customer service person?

Normal wear requires that a purchaser’s mattress be continuously supported by a matching, solid foundation, base, or frame substantial enough to support the mattress and occupant(s).

Damage from using an improper bed frame, foundation, platform bed, or adjustable base.
How they decide what is improper is not defined but it doesn't say it has to be a new support. If you are using an old saggy box spring or something like that its probably no good but my bed is just wood slats that the mattress sits on, no way for that to really go bad over time. https://support.leesa.com/hc/en-us/arti ... -warranty-
Yes, I was told that by a customer service person. I was told that if I wanted to use my existing box springs, I would need to place a piece of plywood on top of the box springs, and then lay the mattress on top of that.
DrakeSRT

Post by DrakeSRT »

harrington wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:33 am I love my Saatva......

We hate ours it is going back and is being picked up Thursday.
ThePrince

Post by ThePrince »

The wife is keen on purchasing a new Purple mattress.
Voluble2

Post by Voluble2 »

We bought the latex "toppers" on Amazon and constructed our own mattress. My wife and I agree it is the best thing we have ever slept on. We have a king size box spring so we got six toppers, each of which cover half the bed so that we each have three layers. She got a hard layer, a medium layer and a soft layer. I got a hard layer and two medium layers. I also bought some hardboard at Home Depot, cut it to size and put it between the box spring and the latex layers so that the pressure would be spread out more evenly over all of the springs. That seems to work very well as long as you don't leave a hard edge peaking out anywhere.

It does not sleep hot like I feared it might. It did not have any odor. And we do not wake up sore anymore. Also there is plenty of edge support. I had feared it might just roll us downhill, but that hasn't been a problem at all. It is really odd how even after months of sleeping on the mattress, it still feels luxurious to slip into bed.

The one drawback that no one has mentioned though is that a spring mattress gives you more bounce for intimate relations, especially if you like to use the edge of the bed. So keep that in mind if it is important to you.

I think it was also good advice that someone gave upthread to have a base that allows you to adjust the height. I wish I had raised ours just a bit when I had the opportunity. It is a lot harder to take everything back off and do it later. The latex is heavy so it was much more practical to buy segments and assemble them. No way we could have lifted the whole thing as one unit and placed it properly. And it also allows you to just replace a layer now or then if your sleeping requirements change.

I hope that helps!
rocket354

Post by rocket354 »

fishboat wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:17 pm
I'm a retired polymer chemist..."hyper-elastic polymer" could describe any polymer used in this product-space. Natural latex is a hyper-elastic polymer as is PU foam. There are many others (elastic polymers), but, in total, there are few elastic polymers that can be processed as, or into, foams...at least at an affordable cost and perform as needed in a mattress application. Purple uses a pigment to try to set themselves apart from other PU mattress suppliers.
I can barely spell chemistry, and I'm definitely willing to believe that the stuff Purple is made of is not all that different, chemically, from other polyurethane foams. However, in practice, it is very different. It has a very different feel and consistency from any foam mattress I've tried. Some may like it, some may hate it, but it's definitely a much stronger difference than just a pigment.
ThePrince wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:13 pm The wife is keen on purchasing a new Purple mattress.
I wasn't expecting to become a shill for Purple (where's my check, Goldilocks??), but I definitely recommend giving it a try. I'm a believer--it's as comfortable as my Tempurpedic was at less than half the cost and without sleeping hot at all. We'll just have to see about durability, but as long as it lasts five years I'll have gotten my money's worth; I'm currently four months in.
jbuzolich

Post by jbuzolich »

Highly recommend the Chateau Collection from Stress O Pedic. [url]http://www.stressopedic.com/chateaucollection.html /url]. Funny name but we have two of the cashmere model and they have been very comfortable. Claim to have a twenty year warranty. The one I'm lying in right now is 10.5 years old and still very solid and comfortable. The one we have at our cabin often receives compliments in reviews by occasional vacation renters.
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

blmarsha123 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:04 pm
barnaclebob wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:32 am Here is what the warranty actually says. Were you told this by a customer service person?

Yes, I was told that by a customer service person. I was told that if I wanted to use my existing box springs, I would need to place a piece of plywood on top of the box springs, and then lay the mattress on top of that.
So you don't need to have a new foundation, you just need to have one that doesn't give like a box spring.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

rocket354 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:01 pm
fishboat wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:17 pm
I'm a retired polymer chemist..."hyper-elastic polymer" could describe any polymer used in this product-space. Natural latex is a hyper-elastic polymer as is PU foam. There are many others (elastic polymers), but, in total, there are few elastic polymers that can be processed as, or into, foams...at least at an affordable cost and perform as needed in a mattress application. Purple uses a pigment to try to set themselves apart from other PU mattress suppliers.
I can barely spell chemistry, and I'm definitely willing to believe that the stuff Purple is made of is not all that different, chemically, from other polyurethane foams. However, in practice, it is very different. It has a very different feel and consistency from any foam mattress I've tried. Some may like it, some may hate it, but it's definitely a much stronger difference than just a pigment.
ThePrince wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:13 pm The wife is keen on purchasing a new Purple mattress.
I wasn't expecting to become a shill for Purple (where's my check, Goldilocks??), but I definitely recommend giving it a try. I'm a believer--it's as comfortable as my Tempurpedic was at less than half the cost and without sleeping hot at all. We'll just have to see about durability, but as long as it lasts five years I'll have gotten my money's worth; I'm currently four months in.
I personally have no experience with Purple, but I have a good friend who works for them and have had several friends and family members purchase them. They seem to be extremely polarizing, confirmed by my friend who handles a lot of the company's PR and marketing. I have a SIL who loves hers, then I have a handful of friends who were so dissatisfied that they returned theirs.
Cody

Post by Cody »

Sleep EZ orgainic latex mattress! We love it. My wife is a "hot momma" and never complains about heat retention in the bed. I never think about the bed being too warm (doesn't enter my mind). Great customer service. Best latex prices we could fine.

Cody
sixtyforty

Post by sixtyforty »

ny_knicks wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:37 am Loom and Leaf makes a great mattress. Delivery service is top notch. No off gassing as it comes delivered fully expanded unlike other companies which deliver in a box. Very hot sleeper and the mattress stays cool. It has kept its shape and firmness over last 2 years. Highly recommend it.
+1. We really like ours.
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" - Leonardo Da Vinci
linenfort

Post by linenfort »

arcticmonkey wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:52 am ...
Many people here advised to look at review websites – it is right suggestion however there is something you need to know. Casper company purchased both sleepopolis and mattress clarity some time ago and since then reviews there changed especially for casper (which became top mattress according to their opinion
I just discovered this myself while looking for sheet reviews. I had already bought a Casper before I found sleepopolis and then noticed he gave their mattress a C or C+. He mentioned a pending lawsuit from Casper. He = Derek Hales, an excellent and dedicated reviewer. In the end, my wife was happy with the mattress and didn't want me to return it. I was just looking at pillows at sleepopolis at the time.

Now, looking at sheet reviews, I couldn't help notice that all things Casper have good reviews.
So the Better Business Bureau is pay-to-play these days, and a mattress company now owns mattress review sites. :confused

more here: https://nonbiasedreviews.com/sleepopoli ... to-casper/
fourwheelcycle

Post by fourwheelcycle »

aqan wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:27 pm
Inverted Pyramid wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:37 pm Start by reading the forums and the articles herehttps://www.themattressunderground.com/ ... forum.html the user Phoenix is the most knowledgeable owner/member on a subject on any forum I've seen he knows more about mattresses than any one person should know, he breaks down the memory foam density in most mattresses that's deep.

My input I went with a 100% latex mattress. I've had a memory foam the main difference is you sleep in a memory foam aka sink in, and you sleep on a latex mattress aka it supports you. Memory foam reacts slowly and was hot to me, Latex is springy and very cool. Also Pure latex is very durable and will last a long time.
great info. I will check out the forums. out of curiosity which latex mattress did you go with?
My wife and I bought a brand name (Serta) "Latex" mattress from a local chain store ten years ago. It felt firm at first, but over the years it got softer and softer. I did some research on the model we bought and discovered it is really part latex and part foam.

We recently replaced it with an extra firm 100% latex mattress from https://spindlemattress.com. I learned about the company on https://www.themattressunderground.com/ ... forum.html. We are very happy with it and I expect it will last a long time. Sleeping hot or sinking into the mattress is not a problem. Latex does not soften with your body heat and you do not sink in. Our mattress had no off-gassing and no odor.

One note - latex mattresses do best on a flat platform, not a spring-type mattress foundation. The latex will not sag, but a spring mattress foundation may sag under it.
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

barnaclebob wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:11 am Great information here and I think ill only try casper as a last resort now and not take any professional looking online reviews into account.

Edit: We have a Leesa Sapira on the way. Didn't spend much time researching because it seems like all of the reviews are suspect and well just keep trying them until we find one we really like.
Well We've been sleeping on our Leesa Sapira for a couple weeks now and its been fine. Definitely cooler than the tempurpedic knock off we had before. I wont say its life changing but I do seem to be having more vivid dreams and it is more comfortable.
Topic Author
MP173

Post by MP173 »

OP here...

We purchased a Restonic brand California King firm spring mattress. Working like a dream (pun intended) so far (3 nights in).

Not an experience that we wish to revisit. Hopefully this will last 10 years or more.

Ed
head gamez

Post by head gamez »

We have been in the market for a few months as well. Back in late December we finally replaced our 14 year old Sams club mattress with another from Sams. This one was great for a week or so but has been terrible since then. It is a single sided pillow top, but we have found the most comfort in flipping it over and sleeping on the non pillow top side.

We researched sleep number, but decided against it. I had some experience with them in hotels, and never really liked them. Perhaps it was the novelty of changing the number all the time.

I knew that I wanted an adjustable base - I have kyphosis (has been mostly corrected with surgery and rods), so having the ability to adjust the head to watch TV, read, etc has always been appealing. Yesterday, we were in Costco and saw a Reverie Road Show. We tested it out in store, went home and talked / researched a bit, and then went back and made the purchase. The Latex coils and the latex topper are an interesting concept, one that I was willing to give a chance. Their adjustable base was nice as well. It looks to be about a 4 week lead time, but I will try to remember to report back after a few weeks of (hopeful) good sleep.

I know that we have already purchased (but can return or cancel), but curious if any BH users have any experience? My research led me to believe that the bed received above average reviews, but the order / shipping process can be a pain.

Thanks
fourwheelcycle

New mattress

Post by fourwheelcycle »

Deleted - repetitive post.
lhwerdyt*1791c

Post by lhwerdyt*1791c »

Inverted Pyramid wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:37 pm Start by reading the forums and the articles herehttps://www.themattressunderground.com/ ... forum.html the user Phoenix is the most knowledgeable owner/member on a subject on any forum I've seen he knows more about mattresses than any one person should know, he breaks down the memory foam density in most mattresses that's deep.

My input I went with a 100% latex mattress. I've had a memory foam the main difference is you sleep in a memory foam aka sink in, and you sleep on a latex mattress aka it supports you. Memory foam reacts slowly and was hot to me, Latex is springy and very cool. Also Pure latex is very durable and will last a long time.
Where did you buy your latex mattress from?
Thx!
gpburdell

Post by gpburdell »

I just ordered an Avocado Green mattress which is a hybrid with coils and latex. Should have it by end of month. My brother bought a sleep on latex bed a couple weeks ago. He got the soft version and I thought it was too soft.
lhwerdyt*1791c

Post by lhwerdyt*1791c »

gpburdell wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:24 pm I just ordered an Avocado Green mattress which is a hybrid with coils and latex. Should have it by end of month. My brother bought a sleep on latex bed a couple weeks ago. He got the soft version and I thought it was too soft.
If possible, let us know what you think of the Avocado Green mattress. Thx!
itsgot8

Post by itsgot8 »

Another satisfied Saatva customer here. We went with the "Luxury Firm" and have been quite happy with it. 14" tall mattress with the 4.75" base.
PrettyCoolWorkshop

Post by PrettyCoolWorkshop »

stan1 wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:33 am A lot of it is personal preference based on body size, shape, existing aches and pains, and sleeping position. Also the best mattress for sleeping might be different than the best mattress for other bedroom activities.

I would avoid a "pillow top" especially if the top layer is poly foam. The poly foam will sink much faster than the rest of the mattress. Buy a firm base and put 1 or 2 latex or memory gel toppers on it. Replace the toppers if you need to. There's a lot of information on the internet about DIY mattresses including on the Mattress Underground site.

What I have right now is a 20 year old extra firm innerspring mattress that has no sagging. It can be flipped but by itself it is like sleeping on a board. I have a 3" latex medium topper on it. I'll eventually need to replace the innerspring but for now its still working great. I'll stick with latex for the top layer since I prefer laying on top of the mattress rather than sinking in.
I can corroborate that the firm mattress + memory foam topper is a good idea. I just got done purchasing this combo and I really like it. See linked thread below.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=249597
Be greedy and fearful. All the time.
harrington

Post by harrington »

itsgot8 wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:37 am Another satisfied Saatva customer here. We went with the "Luxury Firm" and have been quite happy with it. 14" tall mattress with the 4.75" base.
Love our Saatva also
Joylush

Post by Joylush »

Re: Saatva

Bought a Luxury Firm. Too hard, put arms and hips to sleep/numb when side sleeping. Best for back or stomach sleepers. Exchanged for their soft plush. It's not soft, more of a medium and arm/hip pain issue solved so happy with it.

Also have their Zenhaven all latex mattress. It's flippable. Soft side is too soft. Medium side is just right.

Two 160lb adults sleep on these. No rolling into each other problems. Both mattresses sleep cool/not hot.
need403bhelp

Post by need403bhelp »

gpburdell wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:24 pm I just ordered an Avocado Green mattress which is a hybrid with coils and latex. Should have it by end of month. My brother bought a sleep on latex bed a couple weeks ago. He got the soft version and I thought it was too soft.
Any updates re your Avocado Green mattress? We are thinking of getting one based on Consumer Reports...
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

need403bhelp wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:04 pm
Any updates re your Avocado Green mattress? We are thinking of getting one based on Consumer Reports...
I have the same question.
gpburdell

Post by gpburdell »

UpperNwGuy wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:30 pm
Sorry forgot to update. I like it. The first few weeks I thought it was too firm but have gotten used to it now. I probably would like it a bit softer but it's probably better for my back.
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

gpburdell wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:56 pm
Sorry forgot to update. I like it. The first few weeks I thought it was too firm but have gotten used to it now. I probably would like it a bit softer but it's probably better for my back.
Does yours have the pillow top?
gpburdell

Post by gpburdell »

retiredjg wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:03 pm
gpburdell wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:56 pm
Does yours have the pillow top?
Yes it does. Fwiw, Also I remember the delivery guy saying that he delivered alot of them and never been called back for a return after the trial period.
krafty81

Post by krafty81 »

Consumer Reports just did a great article on mattresses. They compared store and mail order. Take a look at that.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

krafty81 wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:03 pm Consumer Reports just did a great article on mattresses. They compared store and mail order. Take a look at that.
October issue?
CrossOverGuy

Post by CrossOverGuy »

Re: Avocado mattress -- here's what I posted a while back:

"I recently bought an Avocado Mattress with pillow-top. It had been highly recommended in Consumer Reports, especially for side sleepers, which I primarily am, though I also sleep on my back. These were very highly rated non-foam mattresses. I live not too far from their showroom in Hoboken, so I went there, tried out one without the pillowtop (firm but nice) and another with the pillowtop and it was terrific, a combination of softness on top but with a good support underneath. It's all-natural made of latex, wool and cotton with underlying inner springs. I was told to get rid of my box spring or it would be too springy, so I bought a very nice fairly inexpensive, but pretty bed frame including a lovely headboard from Zinus on-line at Amazon.

The Avocado mattress is hand-made in California so it takes a while for it to be delivered. It's also not cheap (in the $1000-2000 range), though there are on-line discounts. They actually had a deal and gave me a code for 10% off and another code for 2 free pillows for visiting their showroom. I've had the mattress and pillows for over a month now and highly recommend it. It's natural, so unless you're allergic to latex, there's no off-gassing from synthesized foam. You don't sink into the bed, but feel more like you are floating on top of it, but are also supported by it. It also sleeps cool and allows for ventilation in its natural materials. You're spending a good deal of time in bed, so I saw this as an investment worth spending a significant amount of money, though I didn't want to spend too much.

My old Stearns & Foster was picked out over 20 years ago with the help of my parents. It was sturdy until recently when I decided I needed a new mattress, but I think I felt I wanted support but more softness after all these years as well. I tipped two porters in my building to help me dispose of my old mattress and box spring. The new mattress comes compressed in a box, and boy does it expand when you follow the directions on how to unbox it! It's free delivery, unless you want them to unbox it for you and take away your old bed, then it's extra. Avocado has a 100 day trial period and will pick it up and refund your money if you're not satisfied. They also have a 25-year guarantee - 10 years for any problems in its construction and so forth, and years 11-25 are pro-rated; this is more than most mattress places give you. So I would recommend you check out www.avocadogreenmattress.com if you are interested."

Updated: Avocado changed the 100 day trial period to a 1-year trial period (for new purchasers). I still like the mattress a lot. I have the pillowtop; it feels soft as you lie in it with a bit of give but without really sinking into it, though underneath the softness you feel very supported, and it doesn't sleep hot. The Avocado company also tells you to use breathable sheets and also mattress covers so as not to defeat the latex's cooling properties.
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

CrossOverGuy wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:31 am I still like the mattress a lot. I have the pillowtop; it feels soft as you lie in it with a bit of give but without really sinking into it, though underneath the softness you feel very supported, and it doesn't sleep hot. The Avocado company also tells you to use breathable sheets and also mattress covers so as not to defeat the latex's cooling properties.
Several years ago, I had trouble with a pillowtop mattress developing a dent where I slept. It got so bad, I finally had to cut the pillow top off the mattress. :oops:

How long have you had your Avocado and have you seen any "denting" in your pillowtop?
junior

Post by junior »

gpburdell wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:29 pm Fwiw, Also I remember the delivery guy saying that he delivered alot of them and never been called back for a return after the trial period.
Some companies ask you to donate the mattress yourself with a company that picks it up and send them a receipt and don't want to pick it up again. So if this is one of those companies the delivery guy should never expect to be sent in for a return...
CrossOverGuy

Post by CrossOverGuy »

"How long have you had your Avocado and have you seen any "denting" in your pillowtop?"

I have had my Avocado mattress about 8 months now, and no, there's no dent. They tell you to rotate it every month for the first 6 months and then every 2-3 months, and I've done that.
gpburdell

Post by gpburdell »

retiredjg wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:37 am How long have you had your Avocado and have you seen any "denting" in your pillowtop?
I've had mine over a year and no denting so far.
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

I don't think this was posted yet, but Wirecutter has an article on Black Friday mattress deals:

How to Find Black Friday Mattress Deals

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best- ... c-90005045
TxAg

Post by TxAg »

A couple months back we bought a king size mattress from costco for under $500. It is firm, but that's what we wanted. We love it.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

I (and several family members) just bought from Costco. It is a pretty good quality mattress for a pretty good price. I really didn't want to go to one of the stores (that are every 3 blocks here) and lay on mattresses people have already laid on and figure out who has the best price on a good mattress and go through all that. One thing I will say is we got my 92 year old Grandma the same one we all liked from Costco and it was too high for her (combined with her bed frame).