New mattress

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
MP173

New mattress

Post by MP173 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:50 pm

It is time for a new mattress.

Any suggestions for either:

1. Brand and style.
2. How to shop.

I was kinda blown away with all the changes since the last purchase. Now there are so many options.

Looking for a good mattress without breaking the bank, but will pay for value.

Ed

Inverted Pyramid

Re: New mattress

Post by Inverted Pyramid » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:37 pm

Start by reading the forums and the articles herehttps://www.themattressunderground.com/ ... forum.html the user Phoenix is the most knowledgeable owner/member on a subject on any forum I've seen he knows more about mattresses than any one person should know, he breaks down the memory foam density in most mattresses that's deep.

My input I went with a 100% latex mattress. I've had a memory foam the main difference is you sleep in a memory foam aka sink in, and you sleep on a latex mattress aka it supports you. Memory foam reacts slowly and was hot to me, Latex is springy and very cool. Also Pure latex is very durable and will last a long time.

Klmsilver

Post by Klmsilver » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:43 am

I did extensive research on this topic about a year ago. You’re right, there are so many choices these days.

After a few missteps for us, here are the most important things I learned:

1) you are unique, what feels good for you to sleep on may not be the “highest rated” mattress. So ratings for comfort are of limited usefulness. Ratings for quality and longevity are useful, however.

2) sleeping on something for 8 hours isn’t even remotely the same as laying on something for five minutes in a mattress store. Therefore...

3) buy something with a zero obligation, 60-100 night return policy. Do not, under any circumstances, buy from a mattress store that allows ONE exchange. Most brick and mortar stores are like this.

We ended up trialing a Tuft and Needle mattress (after losing money on other mattresses that didn’t work for us) with the intention of exchanging it for a Casper if it didn’t fit our needs, and on from there trialing different online (free return) mattresses until we found the right fit. This worked because we’d already determined we didn’t want an innerspring mattress ever again. However, we ended up loving the Tuft and Needle. We’ve bought several since (for daughter, vacation home).

Good luck, and I agree with the previous poster, Mattress Underground is an excellent resource.

Angelus359

Post by Angelus359 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:09 am

I bought a leesa mattress
It's a hybrid foam mattress so it doesn't have the heat issues that memory foam has

After I bought it, I stopped waking up in pain

Sleepopolis has coupon codes to make them cheaper

A lot of of my coworkers love their purple mattresses
IT-DevOps System Administrator

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:18 am

We just bought a Nectar https://www.nectarsleep.com/. I literally spent most of my life sleeping directly on concrete and wood floors, a mattress makes zero difference to me, but my wife loves it. She spent nearly a year researching and laying on different mattresses and Nectar is what she chose.

FWIW, Purple is kind of the new hip mattress, at least in my circle. Yet, of the several people I know who have recently bought them, I know at least 4 that returned them. My wife also did not like it when she laid on it.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:33 am

A lot of it is personal preference based on body size, shape, existing aches and pains, and sleeping position. Also the best mattress for sleeping might be different than the best mattress for other bedroom activities.

I would avoid a "pillow top" especially if the top layer is poly foam. The poly foam will sink much faster than the rest of the mattress. Buy a firm base and put 1 or 2 latex or memory gel toppers on it. Replace the toppers if you need to. There's a lot of information on the internet about DIY mattresses including on the Mattress Underground site.

What I have right now is a 20 year old extra firm innerspring mattress that has no sagging. It can be flipped but by itself it is like sleeping on a board. I have a 3" latex medium topper on it. I'll eventually need to replace the innerspring but for now its still working great. I'll stick with latex for the top layer since I prefer laying on top of the mattress rather than sinking in.

Leemiller

Post by Leemiller » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:48 am

We looked at many options and ended up at Macy's for their premium in-house brand, which was one of the more expensive options we looked at. It does feel firmer to me than it did in the store. I saw some of the same brand on EBay for less but my husband veto'd taking that risk. I also thought Room and Board had some good options. I hated the feel of the laytex mattresses we tried, partially because they seemed to sink in the sides. We really wanted something more natural, but compromised by getting at least something with less foam and that was made in the US.

Raryn

Post by Raryn » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:55 am

I found Sams Club to have the best price on a decent mattress. You can get comparable Serta and similar brands for a fraction of the price as the mattress store, delivered to your home for free.

Mimmz

Post by Mimmz » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:08 am

Another 100% latex fan here. Has made a world of difference on my lower back.

We assembled our own with seperately sourced latex cores (there are both different densities and different manufacturing processes in use today) and a zippered case, and probably saved some money doing so, but the aggravation of trying to get the three layers into the case and onto the bed nearly led to a divorce.

harrychan

Post by harrychan » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:30 am

Best is to go and try it yourselves. Don't blindly go with the hype of say foam mattress without really trying it. Two of my close friends recently got foam mattress. One was temperpedic which can go $2500 and another from Costco for $700. Both swear by how amazing it is. DW and I tried it at sears and macys but didn't like foam. We ended up getting Stern and Foster but Kirkland branded hybrid foam / spring. It was probably a good $500 cheaper through Costco.com.
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.

3feetpete

Post by 3feetpete » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:39 am

I bought a Casper mattress and both wife and I love it. My wife's back doesn't hurt anymore and she has noticed I snore less. You really can't go wrong with them. The price is right and you get to try it for 100 days. If you don't like it they give you a full refund and come pick the mattress up from your house.

MP173

Post by MP173 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:01 am

Thanks for replies.

We went out last night and surveyed one store. Beautyrest Black was the initial mattress....expensive. Another brand was about 50% of the cost. The problem is not being able to sleep on it.

We are both above average in size....I am 6'7" and my wife nearly 6'0. At our ages (62/61) sleep is becoming a valued commodity and more difficult to achieve.

We are going out again today and will report back.

Ed

rocket354

Post by rocket354 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:08 am

There are dozens of bed-in-a-box companies out there and that might be your best bet. A poster above mentioned Casper, and there are a ton of others (Purple, Tuft&Needle, Amerisleep, Ghostbed, Leesa, etc, etc, a google search will give you a bunch of options). Most of these companies have a similar business plan: delivery to your house (included in the price you pay) and you typically get a 100 day trial. If you don't like it at any point in those 100 days you call them up and they arrange to have it picked up at no cost to you, and you get a full refund.

That might be your best bet because then you are not making a somewhat big money decision based on at most 15 mins lying on it in the store. I've been cycling through some of them and I know at least one (the aforementioned Casper) that felt perfect the first time I laid down on it, but by night three I found it wasn't great for my lower back, and it kept getting progressively worse. All I had to do was call them up and it was picked up within a couple days, and my refund was processed a day later. FWIW, I now have a Purple and I like it quite a bit.

Hayden

Post by Hayden » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:25 am

We're going through this now. Miserable process.
One of the salesmen convinced us to get an adjustable base. The ability to raise head/feet seemed to us to have more to do with the overall feel than the sometimes minute differences between mattresses.
I think we're going with a latex top over a foam core, on an adjustable bed.

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:25 am

Agree about avoiding a "pillow top" at all costs. They feel great for a couple of months, then you find yourself sleeping in a permanent dent. I did mattress surgery on mine - cut off the pillow top - and replaced it with a later topper. That has worked well for me for several years.

dewey

Post by dewey » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:31 am

We’re having a new Pure 100% latex mattress delivered next week. My research led us to latex. Our current foam mattress has worked well but we’re excited for the latex upgrade.
“The only freedom that is of enduring importance is freedom of intelligence…”

mrc

Post by mrc » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:41 am

MP173 wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:50 pm

1. Brand and style.
2. How to shop.

I was kinda blown away with all the changes since the last purchase. Now there are so many options.

Ed
Read up on the sites others have posted. After you rule out most, choose one that seems the best fit, and one with a long return policy, and try it. That's the best way to know. Sleeping on a mattress for months is way better than 5 minutes in a showroom.

I've had a twin size waterbed for over 30 years. The most recent, over 20 years, had individual tubes. The enclosure and foam top deteriorated to the point that everything was spreading out. I decided to try a newfangled foam mattress comforted mainly by the long return times. I settled on a Casper ($500) and it's working great. When it arrived and I carefully tore down the waterbed (in case the new mattress didn't work out), I found the foundation slats too far apart and somewhat broken down. I ended up buying Casper foundation (another $200) to go underneath. There's a 10 year warranty which is comforting (if the company is still around then that's a plus). I would have rather paid $350 for the lot, but I'm also glad I didn't pay $2K as well.
People often hate what they fear

topper1296

Post by topper1296 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:00 am

I never thought about latex mattress, but will check it out if the "heat" issue isn't an issue with them. Sleeping hot is my biggest issue with my memory foam mattress.

Teague

Post by Teague » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:21 am

Mattress showroom stores make car dealers look like saints. Educate yourself before you buy, as others have advised.
This is by design. You will never be able to compare a model from retailer X with one from retailer Y. They intentionally make sure the model numbers are different so you cannot make an informed decision. It is a high mark-up industry.

There are some newer business models, mostly online retailers, that are better.
Semper Augustus

Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:09 pm

I would suggest getting one at Costco. They have a generous return policy if you don't like it. You can even order 2 or 3 online and return the ones you don't like to a warehouse.

Snapper

Post by Snapper » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:17 pm

+1 Leesa. They pick it up if you do not like. No risk. Just be sure to buy directly from Leesa. Not Amazon. If you use Amazon you are subject to their return policy which is much less generous than Leesa.

Sleeps cool, very supportive.

Toons

Post by Toons » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:21 pm

Personally,
Most Comfortable Mattress I have experienced. :happy
https://www.amazon.com/LINENSPA-Inch-Me ... tress+king
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

SpaceCowboy

Post by SpaceCowboy » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:59 pm

topper1296 wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:00 am
I never thought about latex mattress, but will check it out if the "heat" issue isn't an issue with them. Sleeping hot is my biggest issue with my memory foam mattress.
Latex sleeps much cooler than memory foam. I have a Brooklyn Bed, tried Tuft & Needle and Costco memory foam before settling on it.
Think you're crazy to buy from showroom these days. As others have said the try for 30-100 no risk trial is definitely the way to go. The mattress you end up with is pure personal preference.

limeyx

Post by limeyx » Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:10 pm

We got a Tuft&Needle
Bought online. Dead easy

No more back pain.
Best mattress I've owned

Only issue is its not as tall as what we replaced so we needed a taller box spring

ccieemeritus

Post by ccieemeritus » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:12 pm

I’ve found it impossible to test a mattress in a store. There’s just not enough time to know whether you are comfortable. We ended up giving away an expensive queen mattress to my son as a result.

A few years back my wife and I were staying at a hotel and liked the mattress. We bought that mattress and bedding set from Hilton to Home.

Expensive, and not recommended by mattress underground, but staying in a hotel for 3 nights was the best possible test. We are happy with it.

Have you stayed in a hotel where you were happy with the bed?

Chims77

Post by Chims77 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:57 am

I realize mattress preferences are all very subjective but has anyone purchased a good , firm latex mattress recently ? On a scale on 1-10 i'd say i'm after an 8 + in firmness.

Most of these online websites only seem to offer 1 choice of firmness.

Thanks !

ETadvisor

Post by ETadvisor » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:34 pm

MP173 wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:50 pm

1. Brand and style. Research the type that do not off-gas toxins. Think organic or wool or latex. I had one that smelled up the entire house and caused headaches.
2. How to shop. Make sure has return policy and not just exchange.

Ed

p14175

Post by p14175 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:40 pm

A couple of years ago we purchased a hotel firm innerspring mattress then topped it with 2" memory foam and then a 1.5" fiber topper on top of that. The two different densities work really well together. In fact, we did the same thing to the mattress in our RV.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:20 pm

Chims77 wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:57 am
I realize mattress preferences are all very subjective but has anyone purchased a good , firm latex mattress recently ? On a scale on 1-10 i'd say i'm after an 8 + in firmness.

Most of these online websites only seem to offer 1 choice of firmness.

Thanks !
Buy a latex mattress that can be built in layers. Savvy Rest is the "gold standard" ($$$) but they have a dealer network and an informative website that explains the process. Sleep EZ is less expensive without the dealer showrooms. Mattress Underground has a lot of information on latex mattresses. For example you could get a 3" medium top, 3" firm middle, and 3" firm base. If you decide you want it a little firmer just swap the top 2 layers or if its too firm send one of the medium layers back for a soft layer. Another latex advantage is that you can build a queen or king bed with different firmness on each side.

Vanrnr

Post by Vanrnr » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:30 pm

We love our Loom & Leaf, and I am ordering another one for a guest bed (which I get to use sometimes for snoring).

marc515

Post by marc515 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:36 am

Are any of you guys concerned with the "Gassing Off" of a Memory Foam mattress? My concern is breathing the chemicals omitted from a Memory Foam Mattress every night.

I've been reading about the Zenhaven Latex mattress, which touts to be a more healthy alternative, but I'm not sure any mattress is 100% healthy.

Very difficult choice to say the least.

M

stan1

Post by stan1 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:36 am

marc515 wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:36 am
Are any of you guys concerned with the "Gassing Off" of a Memory Foam mattress? My concern is breathing the chemicals omitted from a Memory Foam Mattress every night.

I've been reading about the Zenhaven Latex mattress, which touts to be a more healthy alternative, but I'm not sure any mattress is 100% healthy.

M
Some people are more sensitive to off gassing than others. If you are worried about it latex may be an alternative for you. You'd want to get a pure/natural latex mattress (some are latex blended with petrochemical based foam). The Zenhaven is advertised as 100% latex.

The Zenhaven is reversible so it has both medium and firm hardness levels. If neither of those work you could add a 2-3" topper on it. It has a 120 day trial period.

likegarden

Post by likegarden » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:01 am

For the last 25 years we sleep happily on a King size Englander springs mattress - we do not sink in. Before that we had a locally manufactured (profitable for that store) Sealy spring mattress with not enough springs which created backaches. After one year we returned that, but then after another year we got that Englander. Before all that we slept happily on a foam mattress bought at Montgomery Ward which then fell apart. As the very minimum you have to try out until your body does not ache! My wife likes it softer, so she sleeps on additional blankets.

mrc

Post by mrc » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:05 am

marc515 wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:36 am

M
I'm finding difficult to let that one go ... :wink:

I cannot stand off-gassing: I avoid going into automotive parts stores (tires), and clothing departments because when I do, my chest tightens up and my eyes burn. That said, I can't smell anything with the Casper I got 10 days ago. It seems inert to me.
People often hate what they fear

Dave bricoleur

New mattress reviews

Post by Dave bricoleur » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:50 am

Silly me, I was surprised to learn that mattress review sites are simply (mostly?) marketing.
(see: www.fastcompany.com/3065928)

It's not like I was surprised to find gambling at Rick's, but how can a consumer choose a mattress if the review sites are mere commercials?

-Dave
not yet sleepless in VaBch

njdealguy

Post by njdealguy » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:08 am

I also have plans to purchase a memory foam style Queen mattress in the next couple weeks and assessing the brands Loom and Leaf, Amerisleep AS3, and also Tuft & Needle. The first two cost around $1000-$1200 and the Tuft & Needle is around $575 on Amazon.

Reading lots of online reviews but still wondering which is better and if the first two are really significantly better in costing approximately twice as much as the third option.

discman017

Post by discman017 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:11 am

We used sleeplikethedead.com for information. They appear to be more trustworthy than other mattress review sites: http://www.sleeplikethedead.com/bed-mat ... html#trust

They have very informative webpages on different types of mattresses. We learned that foam mattresses (Tuft & Needle, Casper) are very different from memory foam. With a foam mattress, you sleep on top, rather than sinking into the mattress, which leads to overheating. Off gassing is also much less of a problem with foam than memory foam.

Here's their page on foam mattresses: http://www.sleeplikethedead.com/mattres ... -foam.html

After having slept on traditional inner-spring mattresses our whole lives, we ended up getting a Tuft & Needle. We slept terribly the first night. By the third or fourth night, we were getting used to it and thought it might have potential. Now a month later we absolutely love it.

So you definitely have to sleep on a mattress for a few weeks before making a decision. The money-back guarantee / free trial period is critical.

We found ours at a good price on Craigslist, so our "free trial" was basically the knowledge that if we didn't like it, we could likely resell it for what we paid for it.

EHEngineer

Post by EHEngineer » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:27 am

discman017 wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:11 am
We used sleeplikethedead.com for information. They appear to be more trustworthy than other mattress review sites: http://www.sleeplikethedead.com/bed-mat ... html#trust
<snip>
They're all suspect. https://www.fastcompany.com/3065928/sle ... tress-wars

Edit: Someone posted the same link above.
Or, you can ... decline to let me, a stranger on the Internet, egg you on to an exercise in time-wasting, and you could say "I'm probably OK and I don't care about it that much." -Nisiprius

arcticmonkey

Post by arcticmonkey » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:52 am

You are right, there are really lots of mattress companies arised in the last decade.
Many people here advised to look at review websites – it is right suggestion however there is something you need to know. Casper company purchased both sleepopolis and mattress clarity some time ago and since then reviews there changed especially for casper (which became top mattress according to their opinion. I don’t mean that you shouldn’t trust them anymore, just keep in mind that the original creators of the websites no longer write those reviews. They are being written by professional salesmen.
So, let’s get back to the point. I looked through many options available, my main factor was mattress good for side sleeping so I sticked to Leesa because as I found here it is one of the most appropriate for side sleepers in terms of support. I like this mattress and if we talk only about materials – it is much better than my old innerspring mat. The best idea is to test at least 2-3 of mattresses and find out which material is good for you. At least try Avena foam, classic memory foam and latex so you can compare. Hope my advice helped you.

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:26 am

We bought a Leesa king about 4 years ago and love it. It still sleeps and feels like brand new 4 years later. The only downside is that sleeping anywhere else but home we badly miss the Leesa and never sleep nearly as well.

ny_knicks

Post by ny_knicks » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:37 am

Loom and Leaf makes a great mattress. Delivery service is top notch. No off gassing as it comes delivered fully expanded unlike other companies which deliver in a box. Very hot sleeper and the mattress stays cool. It has kept its shape and firmness over last 2 years. Highly recommend it.

f35phixer

Post by f35phixer » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:01 am

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best- ... uy-online/

i use these guys for alot of purchases,

Heres a question, can you keep your old boxspring from your mattress from 15+ years ago and just replace the top?

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:11 pm

Great information here and I think ill only try casper as a last resort now and not take any professional looking online reviews into account.

Edit: We have a Leesa Sapira on the way. Didn't spend much time researching because it seems like all of the reviews are suspect and well just keep trying them until we find one we really like.
Last edited by barnaclebob on Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

czeckers

Post by czeckers » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:37 pm

f35phixer wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:01 am

Heres a question, can you keep your old boxspring from your mattress from 15+ years ago and just replace the top?
Absolutely!

It's amazing how much confusion salesmen can generate about such a decidedly low tech product. I just bought a bunch of twin mattresses for my kids at Big Lots for $149 a piece. They are probably the most comfortable mattresses I have tried out. Firm support but a good foam layer on top.
The Espresso portfolio: | | 16% LCV, 16% SCV, 16% EM, 8% Int'l Value, 8% Int'l Sm, 8% US REIT, 8% Int'l REIT, 20% Inter-term US Treas | | "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."

mckstpat

Post by mckstpat » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:54 pm

We were tempted to buy a Temper Pedic Mattress, at around 4K, and boy are we glad that we didn't. We ended up going with a well reviewed Mattress on Amazon and took a risk. We Love it even a couple of years later.

https://www.amazon.com/Sleep-Innovation ... tress&th=1

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:09 pm

f35phixer wrote:

You can, but if my memory is correct, Wirecutter recommends you get a new foundation.

El Greco

Post by El Greco » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:42 pm

No one has mentioned a Sleep Number mattress. We've been thinking about one. At least the concept seems sound. Any opinions?

blmarsha123

Post by blmarsha123 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:14 pm

UpperNwGuy wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:09 pm
f35phixer wrote:

You can, but if my memory is correct, Wirecutter recommends you get a new foundation.
When I was recently looking at a Leesa, I was told that not using a new foundation (or a flat board, platform) would void the warranty.

Drovor

Post by Drovor » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:37 pm

blmarsha123 wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:14 pm
UpperNwGuy wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:09 pm
f35phixer wrote:

When I was recently looking at a Leesa, I was told that not using a new foundation (or a flat board, platform) would void the warranty.
Sounds similar to what I read about the Brooklyn Bedding we just got. In our case, you can use a box spring but needs to have a certain spacing. For example, no more than 3 inches apart with no actually springs.

We've only had our medium firm bed a few days. A little firm for my side sleeping but will see over a couple weeks how it goes.

aqan

Post by aqan » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:27 pm

Inverted Pyramid wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:37 pm
Start by reading the forums and the articles herehttps://www.themattressunderground.com/ ... forum.html the user Phoenix is the most knowledgeable owner/member on a subject on any forum I've seen he knows more about mattresses than any one person should know, he breaks down the memory foam density in most mattresses that's deep.

My input I went with a 100% latex mattress. I've had a memory foam the main difference is you sleep in a memory foam aka sink in, and you sleep on a latex mattress aka it supports you. Memory foam reacts slowly and was hot to me, Latex is springy and very cool. Also Pure latex is very durable and will last a long time.
great info. I will check out the forums. out of curiosity which latex mattress did you go with?