Outback Vs Forester Vs CR-V ??

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
marc515

Outback Vs Forester Vs CR-V ??

Post by marc515 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:36 am

Looking for a new car and have it narrowed down to the Outback, Forester, and CR-V.

The Outback seems to have a better ride than the Forester and the CR-V, but interior is shorter.

Concerns: Have read the Subaru engines burn oil; Honda's 1.5L Turbo engine is small, new, and only holds 3-1/2 Its of oil.

Just the wife and I, and our 90Lb Lab.

Hoping you guys who have been down this road can provide some insight as to why you picked the one you did.

Thank you
m

fsrph

Re: Outback Vs Forester Vs CR-V ??

Post by fsrph » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:27 am

All three are good choices. I went with the Forester because I wanted a manual transmission with the large sunroof. The Forester seemed to have more head and hip room. Also the Forester was less expensive than the Outback. Had the Forester for 7 years with no complaints. Service has just been maintenance like oil changes and tires.

Francis
"Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get." | Dale Carnegie

dbr

Post by dbr » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:41 am

There is no evidence Outback's still burn oil. It can be difficult in evaluating car reliability to not skate where the puck was.

An interesting board is this one (and also one's for Forester, CR-V, etc.: http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/138 ... 5-present/

You can read this thread: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=229657 and there are several others recently that discuss small SUV choices where the three cars you ask about are discussed among others.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:30 am

We used to have a CR-V that we really loved but traded it a couple years ago for a RAV4 which we like even better. We use it with five people on occasion but for four it is plenty roomy and I'm 6'2" tall. It also has a sunroof though I don't know if it is considered large or not. I figured all sunroofs were about the same. It has more than enough get up and go, especially when driven in sport mode.

blaugranamd

Post by blaugranamd » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:34 am

We have a 2016 Forester and it's been solid for 24k miles now. Feels very roomy. Gets 34mpg highway if you drive 65-70. Great visibility. Eyesight is great.
-- Don't mistake more funds for more diversity: Total Int'l + Total Market = 7k to 10k stocks -- | -- Market return does NOT = average nor 50th percentile, rather 80-90th percentile long term ---

dbr

Post by dbr » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:43 am

Oh, and to answer your question, I picked Outback over Forester because it is a quieter less "buzzy" car than the Forester. I guess the Outback is a little more "uspscale." We did like all the "top of the line" features, especially Eye-Sight. I looked at the two as a choice because I had been looking at sedans to replace my 16 year old LeSabre and I found modern sedans impossible to see out of and did an internet search on what cars are easiest to see out of and Forester and Outback rated 1-2 on that. So I went to the dealer, checked out both, and decided on balance I liked the Outback. A second criterion is that Subaru has what many think is the choice of AWD system. I didn't bother looking at anything else because I didn't need to and I don't put much of a premium on trying to make the "best" choice. It turns out also that the dealer I used has been very good, especially in their service department. My car is a 2015 I have had for about 2 1/2 years now. It does not burn oil.

As an aside, if you let this thread run long enough you will get at least one suggestion from someone for each and every make/model vehicle that is on the market.

Also as an aside, I looked at Volvo as well, and while those were really nice cars I couldn't find anything to justify the much higher cost. One might have some concern about Volvo repair reliability as well. Having once owned 122 and 144 models Volvo has always seemed attractive. The 122 is kind of a classic.

sixtyforty

Post by sixtyforty » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:47 am

Before we purchased our 2015 Subaru Forester, I called our local dealer and talked with one of the mechanics regarding the oil burn issue. He said that it was primarily with the Crosstreks in manual configuration... and even then they didn't see a lot of them. We've got about 24K on our Forester now and it has been solid. My suggestion would be to test drive the three you mentioned (I would add the RAV4 to your list) and select the one you liked driving the most.
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" - Leonardo Da Vinci

topper1296

Post by topper1296 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:59 am

I don't know how tall you are, however I'm 6'5 and the Forester has amazing headroom even with the sunroof. When I was car shopping a couple years ago, I sat in about 15 vehicles and drove about 6-8 and the Forester is a great car if you're tall and don't want to drive a massive SUV (especially in a city where parking can be tight).

FCM

Post by FCM » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:02 am

We have a 2014 4 cylinder engine Outback that now has about 10,000 miles on it. It doesn't burn any oil.

aqan

Post by aqan » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:05 am

I've had a forester for 5 years now. awesome car, plenty of room, handles really well in wet/snow conditions.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:19 am

Only Subaru FB engines are affected by the oil burning extended warranty. Why the FA isn't is beyond me, but ok. This includes both FB20 and FB25, so Outback, Legacy, Crosstrek, Impreza 2 cylinder non turbo models, from what my letter reads. A test is available where the dealer changes your oil and in 1200 miles checks to see if it has dropped 10 ounces. If so, you get a new short block (they reuse the heads and accessories). The engine warranty is also extended to 8 years or 100k miles, whichever is first. In our Crosstrek, I've noted that we use about a quart every 5k miles, so not enough to trigger an engine replacement.

The other problem point is the CVT transmission in any Subaru. The warranty has been voluntarily extended by SOA (Subaru of America, not Sons of Anarchy) to 10 years and 100k miles. We've had our crosstrek CVT fail and be replaced at 53k miles. We were able to drive it for the week that it took to get an appointment with a loaner car. The replacement took about a week and was zero cost.

Other brands have their issues. Since we have a couple Subarus in the family, I'm always trying to stay on top of any news. A friend of mine was a business manager at a Toyota dealer, maybe 6 or 7 years ago and I remember talking with him one day and him telling me that in that particular year, Toyota had more cars recalled in the US than any other brand. So no manufacturer is perfect. I've seen reports of nightmares in CVTs in both Nissan (very long term problem) and Hondas.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

jtnprogram

Post by jtnprogram » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:25 am

I just bought a new CRV last week. I was very impressed with how roomy it is compared to last years model. I really enjoy it and am impressed with Honda Sensing and how it makes driving on the Interstate a little less stressful. I've also been getting around 30MPG in the city with AWD.

TylerS7

Post by TylerS7 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:39 am

I have a 2013 Outback, 77k miles now, bought it used in 2015 with about 30k miles. It started burning oil around 60-70k miles and after a couple 1200mile tests showed oil consumption, they will be replacing the engine (the short block?) next week. It's all covered under warranty, so I don't really see it as a big deal. I plan on driving it until it's not worth much for resale anyways.

WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:14 pm

Oil burning is not good. CVT has longitivity issue. SUV CG is too high and easy to roll off. As a boglehead, I will just go for a Honda Civic hatchback with 6MT. Drive it 200k and sell it.

mervinj7

Post by mervinj7 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:55 pm

WhiteMaxima wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:14 pm
Oil burning is not good. CVT has longitivity issue. SUV CG is too high and easy to roll off. As a boglehead, I will just go for a Honda Civic hatchback with 6MT. Drive it 200k and sell it.
Is the oil burning/longevity an inherent problem of the CVT? We've had our CRV for a couple of years and haven't seen any problems.

dbr

Post by dbr » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:03 pm

mervinj7 wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:55 pm
WhiteMaxima wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:14 pm
Is the oil burning/longevity an inherent problem of the CVT? We've had our CRV for a couple of years and haven't seen any problems.
Oil burning is an engine problem but CVT is the transmission. I have never heard of the two being related.

WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:16 pm

Engine problem, transmission problem. I would avoid any car has these problems.

tomd37

Post by tomd37 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:20 pm

Concerning the two Subaru models, Planet Subaru in Hanover, MA has a great online comparison of the two 2018 models with many details and comments. I went to Google and entered 2018 Subaru Forester vs. Outback.

I am considering both but then happened to hear about the new 2018 Buick Regal TourX which is due to be introduced in dealerships later this quarter. It is a station wagon which is what I want. It's worth looking at online. :thumbsup
Tom D.

obgraham

Post by obgraham » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:34 pm

I made the exact same choice this time a year ago -- Forester, Outback, or CRV. To replace an '06 CRV. Any of the 3 is a good choice.

Settled on the Forester primarily because of the seating position and exterior view, especially the rear quarter. Just don't like the CRV shape, I guess. And then since we were interested in the low end rather than the high end, the Forester made a lot more sense cost-wise.

Haven't regretted the choice. The CVT transmissions are bad, but that's become the choice now.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:30 pm

Let the 90 lb labrador decide :D
That's a big fellow, indeed.

ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:38 pm

If you're driving on any snow, ice or sand the Outback will be tough to beat. Also, last I checked (a few years ago) Subaru had some of the top safety tech within it's class.

blevine

Post by blevine » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:26 pm

Why choose ? I bought an Outback AND a Forester !

My teen loved driving th Forester, he got one later when he was ready for a car. Wife prefers the Outback. I like both.

Bastiat

Post by Bastiat » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:56 pm

Where do you live? If you get inclement/snowy weather I think that makes it easy to narrow down to Subaru.

We have a new Forester and the room and visibility are hard to beat. I've done a few road trips in a new outback and they're very nice as well. The ride is probably better in the outback but the room in the Forester makes it more comfortable to me.

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:54 am

I wanted an Outback. Wife liked the higher seating position in the Forester better. I agreed. We are very happy with our 2017 Forester.

marc515

Post by marc515 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:21 am

Thanks for the comments, went with the Outback
m

ilovedogs

Post by ilovedogs » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:04 am

I've owned both an Outback and the Forester and agree with nearly all the comments above. I purchased the Outback after driving and comparing it with Forester and Impreza, and the main difference was the drive. The Outback has a nice drive, very smooth. I drive a Forester now and have what I believe is an oil burn issue with a regular highway commute and always needing oil. I wanted the Forester because it is a little taller and mattered for moving things. With Subarus, you have to watch the towability -- when you want to hitch something to it. You really can't. Subarus don't have the power to tow.

CULater

Post by CULater » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:54 am

Hard call. I just bought a CR-V Touring and am favorably impressed so far. The ride and noise level much improved over previous generations of CR-V. Of course the 1.5 turbo engine is relatively new (I think it was introduced in last year's Civic) and transmission is CVT. The tranny is smooth and non-intrusive. Car has very good pickup. Brakes very good. You do get the turbo growl under acceleration when driving. I prefer the taller vehicle to the Outback station wagon profile. Very good cargo room. Haven't looked at the Forester or Outback in awhile, but would have picked one of those over the previous generation CR-V, but not now. Hard to imagine a better-designed and performing vehicle than the new CR-V in that price class. I drove the Acura RDX when shopping cars, and I think it even compares favorably to that (except for the V-6 engine in the RDX). Much better infotainment system than the RDX. Can nitpick but I think Honda is finally starting to get the infotainment right. Has Android Auto and Apple Carplay if you want to forego the Navi option.
May you have the hindsight to know where you've been, The foresight to know where you're going, And the insight to know when you've gone too far. ~ Irish Blessing

tcassette

Post by tcassette » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:24 pm

ilovedogs wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:04 am
I've owned both an Outback and the Forester and agree with nearly all the comments above. I purchased the Outback after driving and comparing it with Forester and Impreza, and the main difference was the drive. The Outback has a nice drive, very smooth. I drive a Forester now and have what I believe is an oil burn issue with a regular highway commute and always needing oil. I wanted the Forester because it is a little taller and mattered for moving things. With Subarus, you have to watch the towability -- when you want to hitch something to it. You really can't. Subarus don't have the power to tow.
My Outback is rated to tow 2700 pounds.

Rashen

Post by Rashen » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:54 pm

If performance is important to you, definitely go with Honda (or Toyota).
Subaru's solution to lower the mpg is to throttle the engine.
Honda's turbo will outperform the Outback and the Forrester in no time.

chuppi

Post by chuppi » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:19 pm

TylerS7 wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:39 am
I have a 2013 Outback, 77k miles now, bought it used in 2015 with about 30k miles. It started burning oil around 60-70k miles and after a couple 1200mile tests showed oil consumption, they will be replacing the engine (the short block?) next week. It's all covered under warranty, so I don't really see it as a big deal. I plan on driving it until it's not worth much for resale anyways.
I have a 2013 outback and currently close to 60K miles. Oil change is every 7500 miles but around 5000 miles, I get the low oil light and I add half a quart. Its been fine so far.
I asked the service person at the dealership and I was told it was normal. The owners manual say that that burning some ridiculous amount of oil is normal.
I am fine with adding half a quart of oil every once in a while. But if goes beyond that, it is going to be a problem. Did you purchase additional warranty with the car? How is it still covered after 6 years.

TylerS7

Post by TylerS7 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:28 am

chuppi wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:19 pm
TylerS7 wrote:
I have a 2013 outback and currently close to 60K miles. Oil change is every 7500 miles but around 5000 miles, I get the low oil light and I add half a quart. Its been fine so far.
I asked the service person at the dealership and I was told it was normal. The owners manual say that that burning some ridiculous amount of oil is normal.
I am fine with adding half a quart of oil every once in a while. But if goes beyond that, it is going to be a problem. Did you purchase additional warranty with the car? How is it still covered after 6 years.
I'm sorry I never got back to you about this. I honestly didn't look into my warranty they just told me it would be covered so I agreed to let them fix it. The test involved them topping me off, having me go 1200 miles and checking it again. The first time this test was done after an oil change it didn't show any drop in oil level. They had me go another 1200 miles and my oil was 1/3 low, which is their threshold.

This all became a problem for me when I went to get my oil changed, it had only been about 6000 miles, and the oil was empty. I wish I had better info for you, maybe if it keeps becoming a problem then ask your dealer again!

Calli114

Post by Calli114 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:23 pm

I'm on my 2nd Outback; I like the shape of it and I can fit my bike in the back without having to put on a rack.
I test drove a Forester (and had them as loaners) and thought it felt more cheaply made. I haven't had a CR-V but one of my friends just got one and she seems quite ambivalent about it.
My old 85# German Shepherd is gone, but he used to own the back seat.
It is not unusual for me to add a quart of oil shortly before an oil change is due, but I don't consider that excessive. I've got almost 50K miles on this one, 100 K on the last one.
So comfortable in snow.

emoore

Post by emoore » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:28 pm

I have no idea why Subaru is considered reliable. They have major engine issues and I don’t see that being fixed with the new cars. I’d go Honda over Subaru any day.

chuppi

Post by chuppi » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:16 pm

TylerS7 wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:28 am

I'm sorry I never got back to you about this. I honestly didn't look into my warranty they just told me it would be covered so I agreed to let them fix it. The test involved them topping me off, having me go 1200 miles and checking it again. The first time this test was done after an oil change it didn't show any drop in oil level. They had me go another 1200 miles and my oil was 1/3 low, which is their threshold.

This all became a problem for me when I went to get my oil changed, it had only been about 6000 miles, and the oil was empty. I wish I had better info for you, maybe if it keeps becoming a problem then ask your dealer again!
[/quote]

Thanks for you comments. For now I am doing oil change else where. It takes synthetic oil and the dealers charge close to a 100$ for oil change and tire rotation. I stopped going to them long ago. If it comes to that I will take it to the dealer and have it checked.
I don't have any other problem other than this. I think you can expect most vehicles to be reliable these days up to 100K miles. It is good in snow and has good safety rating. Otherwise it is a piece of crap. I don't regret buying it but wouldn't buy again.

emoore

Post by emoore » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:34 pm

chuppi wrote:
TylerS7 wrote:
By the time you get the low oil light you are doing damage to the engine. No car these days should be burning that much oil after 60k. I’d dump the car as quick as possible.

goodlifer

Post by goodlifer » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:35 pm

emoore wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:28 pm
I have no idea why Subaru is considered reliable. They have major engine issues and I don’t see that being fixed with the new cars. I’d go Honda over Subaru any day.
From my experience, it is because Subaru owners are willing to put up with a lot of screw ups. I own a 2015 Outback. I will never buy another Subaru again. If I had read the Outback forums before purchasing, I would have chose a different car. I'm not exaggerating when I say that someone was told that they were expecting too much from the GPS because they kept being redirected away from parked cars on the street that their car thought was traffic. They were told by other users that GPS should not be expected to work on city streets. I kid you not. Just google "2015 Outback GPS problems". The consensus seems to be to just buy a Garmin and go on loving your defective car. Nine times out of ten, the GPS gives me wrong directions. Other people with older cars laugh at me. And that is just one of the many problems I have with the car. The dealership gets around the lemon laws by claiming either they can't replicate the problems or that the problem is within their normal parameters.

chuppi

Post by chuppi » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:23 am

emoore wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:34 pm
chuppi wrote:
TylerS7 wrote:
By the time you get the low oil light you are doing damage to the engine. No car these days should be burning that much oil after 60k. I’d dump the car as quick as possible.
I agree that the cars shouldn't be burning oil. I don't think there is any engine damage if you top off the oil once you see the light. It just takes 1/2 quart. car technology is changing rapidly. my next car is going to be a electric or a long electric range plug-in hybrid and I need 3rd row seats. I think I have to wait at few years.

goldensam

Post by goldensam » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:50 am

I just purchased a 2018 Outback after wanting one for a few years. So far, I really like it. I feel safe, I like the ride, and it's very functional for my lifestyle (hauling big dogs around).

pshonore

Post by pshonore » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:24 pm

goodlifer wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:35 pm
emoore wrote:
From my experience, it is because Subaru owners are willing to put up with a lot of screw ups. I own a 2015 Outback. I will never buy another Subaru again. If I had read the Outback forums before purchasing, I would have chose a different car. I'm not exaggerating when I say that someone was told that they were expecting too much from the GPS because they kept being redirected away from parked cars on the street that their car thought was traffic. They were told by other users that GPS should not be expected to work on city streets. I kid you not. Just google "2015 Outback GPS problems". The consensus seems to be to just buy a Garmin and go on loving your defective car. Nine times out of ten, the GPS gives me wrong directions. Other people with older cars laugh at me. And that is just one of the many problems I have with the car. The dealership gets around the lemon laws by claiming either they can't replicate the problems or that the problem is within their normal parameters.
I'm told that Subaru "reliability" is dropping quickly. After spending $1K to replace the electric parking brake assembly at 70,000 miles on a 2013 Outback, I think I would agree. And like most parking brakes, it was probably used two or three times in that period. I will not buy another Subaru product.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:41 pm

emoore wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:34 pm

With an older Subaru (or STi) with an EJ engine, if the oil light comes on, the engine is toast. With the newer F engines, that's not the case. It simply indicates you're a quart down (4 quarts instead of 5) and no damage occurs if you get some oil in there soon.

On the warranty side, to clear things up with Subaru FA and FB engines.....

The settlement of the class action suit for oil burning extends the engine warranty to 8 years or 100k miles, whichever comes first. The dealer can perform a test. They change the oil (free) and have you return in 1200 miles. If the oil is down 10 ounces, you get a new short block (that means the engine is removed and the block with pistons, crank, etc is replaced. The heads are reused. The accessories are reused.

Subaru voluntarily added a 10 year, 100k warranty to all CVT transmissions. I know our Crosstrek had it's transmission replaced before this happened, but we were at 53k miles so still under the 5/60 drivetrain warranty.

Other brands who have had pretty bad CVT issues: Nissan, Honda. Honorable mention is the Ford Focus, which does NOT have a CVT transmission, but a dual clutch auto shift. It is essentially an auto shifting manual like Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche, BMW, Audi, Mitsubishi Evo, Maserati, VW. Unfortunately, the Ford transmission takes the all time worst problem award in automotive history.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

open_circuit

Post by open_circuit » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:51 pm

pshonore wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:24 pm
After spending $1K to replace the electric parking brake assembly at 70,000 miles on a 2013 Outback, I think I would agree. And like most parking brakes, it was probably used two or three times in that period. I will not buy another Subaru product.
That's interesting and a little frightening. My outback has a manual transmission, so the electronic parking brake gets used every time I park, except in cold weather (why did they design a parking brake that they warn you in the owner's manual can freeze up in low temperatures!?) *knock on wood* My electronic parking brake has had no problems in 65k miles (2012 outback).

WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:19 pm

How reliable is the CVT? Box engine burn oil. All these need to be cleared from Subaru.

ShortInSeattle

Post by ShortInSeattle » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:40 pm

We were very happy with our Forester, kept it for eight years until we no longer needed a car and sold it at that point. Solid, good traction, easy to drive, lots of space, and reasonable gas mileage for such a roomy vehicle. We never had oil or engine problems, it only needed routine maintenance. My only (small) complaint was that it wasn't terribly soundproof; we got a lot of road noise particularly on the freeway.

When we comparison shopped, we liked the Outback but we preferred the form factor of the Forester. The CR-V felt plasticky and clunky to us, kind of like a minivan. But those were mostly aesthetic distinctions, it was a tough call between those three models.

One more anecdote for the pile. :)

SIS

blevine

Post by blevine » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:55 pm

I had one very minor problem that Subaru could not easily reproduce therefore not fix, but after reporting it a few times, SOA sent me coupons and a gift that would be more valuable than the non functioning option that I did not need to start with.

So far a perfect 2015 Outback, almost perfect 2014 Forester and a perfect 2015 Forester in my family. Any manu will have some issues, Subaru no worse than others, and in fact statistically better. I will consider a 4th one when the need arises.

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:18 pm

Have had both outback's and CRVs. We had less problems with the Outbacks and the drive is much better. We are sticking with Subarus and Toyota's for the foreseeable future.

finite_difference

Post by finite_difference » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:32 pm

WhiteMaxima wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:19 pm
How reliable is the CVT? Box engine burn oil. All these need to be cleared from Subaru.
Subaru is offering an extended warranty that covers several of the CVTs including the 2015 Forester: CVT warranty extension: CVT is covered up to 100,000 miles or 10 years.

I read it was recommended to do a drain and fill of the CVT fluid at the dealer every 60k miles.

I think the Subaru oil burning issue that affected one of their engines has been fixed for several years now.

Another car to check out is the Mazda CX-5.

I think all these cars (Subaru, Honda, Mazda) will all be reliable, especially if properly maintained, so just pick the one you like best.
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh

philpill

Post by philpill » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:51 pm

I have 2006 turbo forester and can accelerate better than any .car on the road .minimal repairs and a delight to drive. Never oil problems. Anti Subaru people, check consumer reports where forester always top of pack.

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:21 pm

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:19 am

Other brands have their issues. Since we have a couple Subarus in the family, I'm always trying to stay on top of any news. A friend of mine was a business manager at a Toyota dealer, maybe 6 or 7 years ago and I remember talking with him one day and him telling me that in that particular year, Toyota had more cars recalled in the US than any other brand. So no manufacturer is perfect. I've seen reports of nightmares in CVTs in both Nissan (very long term problem) and Hondas.

My Honda was recalled. The fix was change a sticker. All recalls are not remotely equal:)

These are all solid cars (along with the Rav4 and Mazda CX-5 and a bunch of others). They are slightly different (outback is more of a lifted wagon and is a bit bigger. Forrester is more of a crossover) but they are pretty minor in the grand scheme of things. Subaru used to be slightly ahead on safety tech but that time has passed. Honda Sensing and Eyesight are very,very close. You aren't going to get drastically different AWD experiences. And so on.

You have to go drive these cars and then pick the one that you find most comfortable. Things like seats, road noise, and accelleration profile all differ between people. There are general trends but there is also a ton of individual difference. Pretty much everyone I know is happy with either of those cars

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:00 pm

dsuttr wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:51 pm
I have 2006 turbo forester and can accelerate better than any .car on the road .minimal repairs and a delight to drive. Never oil problems. Anti Subaru people, check consumer reports where forester always top of pack.
You really think your turbo forester can accelerate better cars than like the Telsa p100d, Porsche 911 turbo, and a zillion of the other performance cars out there? Heck the modern accord could probably take you.:) Now that says more about how overpowered modern family sedans are (the 2018 accord is being measured at 5.7s 0-60. That is like 1990 BMW M3 range ). The forresters are nice vehicles but lets not get totally delusional:) And it is great you don't burn oil. That doesn't really help the Subaru owners that had to file a class action lawsuit to get resolution to their problems in the 2011-2014 model years.

Subaru is a top 1/3 brand for reliability. They tend hang out in the 5-10th spot where there tends a very minor difference between 5th and 10th and those companies shuffle around every year. And I am suspect of CR reliability ratings since the last ones have BMW in the top 5:). A lot of times the reliability ratings just show how old a given fleet is. Cars start off with problems (often various electronics things like pairing phones or some whatever other new component they have) that get worked out over a couple of model years and then they come back with the next big upgrade. Read CR opinion on the Imprezza for an example of that cycle.

I know CR awarded the forrester best car of the year but you have to remember there are like 10 best cars:) Other rating agencies look at the same cars and put it towards the middle/end of the list (caranddriver for example really hates it for some reason ranking it pretty much dead last in its category). You need to decide if the criteria that the ranking agency use matches yours in terms of the value of ride quality, mpg, driving experience, cargo hauling, reliability, and the rest.

I personally prefer the CRVs ride to the Forrestor but we are talking minor differences. I could certainly live with either.

marc515

Post by marc515 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:31 am

pshonore wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:24 pm
goodlifer wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:35 pm
emoore wrote:
I'm told that Subaru "reliability" is dropping quickly. After spending $1K to replace the electric parking brake assembly at 70,000 miles on a 2013 Outback, I think I would agree. And like most parking brakes, it was probably used two or three times in that period. I will not buy another Subaru product.
I can understand a $1K repair on a parking brake is frustrating, but one must realize as these vehicles, regardless of brand, get more technical, the more costly the repairs will be.

However, deciding not to buy a vehicle on one particular incident can only lead you down a rat hole, as every car brand out there has a similar story.

Additionally, statements like "I'm told that Subaru "reliability" is dropping quickly" are useless without facts to back them up.

I'm told a lot of things every day, and if I ran with all that goodly-gook, I'd be in real trouble.

But hey, if that helps you make an "informed" decision, good luck.