Refinish hardwood or new carpet

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Determined

Refinish hardwood or new carpet

Post by Determined » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:42 pm

My fiance had to relocate a few months ago. He bought a house that he currently lives in, and the intent is to turn it into rental once I can relocate (hopefully next summer).

He pulled the carpet which was in dismal shape. The hardwood needs refinished, but now he is wondering about getting a quote for carpet for two rooms. Neither of us have had rentals before. We are trying to keep costs down because the point is to eventually rent it. Experienced advice?

renue74

Re: Refinish hardwood or new carpet

Post by renue74 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:54 pm

If you put carpet back in, expect to change it out after one to two tenants. In my experience, it's toast after one tenant usually.

If you refinish hardwoods, the going rate in my area is $2.50 per square foot to sand, patch any minor defects, and 3 coats of polyurethane. (Southeast) Prices could be higher in other geo areas.

If you eventually sell the property...either you will sell it to other landlords or owner occupants. If the neighborhood you are in has many rentals, than most likely you'll end up selling to a landlord who doesnt care that much about the carpet, etc.

Whatever you do, expect tenants to not respect it as much as you do. There will be defects.

MrNewEngland

Post by MrNewEngland » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:08 pm

I'd look into luxury vinyl hardwood if it's going to be a rental. It's fairly inexpensive, and super tough. It looks good.

That's what I just did when I sold my house and moved back into my rental. I only plan to live here for a few years and then rent it out again. It was a no-brainer for me...

hightower

Post by hightower » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:41 pm

If it's an older, historic home, then no question you should use what's there and refinish the hardwood. It's healthier for indoor air quality anyway (allergens get trapped in carpet and very quickly build up). Hardwood floors can be swept clean. Refinishing is cheap, quick, and easy to do yourself.
Go to the local tool rental place and ask for the "U-Sand" 4 disc floor sander or a similar "random orbit disc sander." You can't screw it up with this machine. I refinished my entire house with one. All you do is hook it to a shop vac and turn it on. Once it's all sanded clean, go buy some good oil based poly urethane and apply 3 coats with a brush (wear a mask). Done. I actually bought a used machine from the tool rental shop, then sold it on craigslist when I was done. The sand paper and polyurethane is the only cost (a lot cheaper than carpeting or paying someone else).

Do not try refinishing the floor with a belt type sander. You will ruin your floors.

squirm

Post by squirm » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:14 pm

Go with Hardwood.

hoops777

Post by hoops777 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:29 pm

If they are bedrooms,consider inexpensive carpet,otherwise refinish the hardwood.
K.I.S.S........so easy to say so difficult to do.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:50 pm

For rentals, consider carpet a disposable item. Don't spend too much on it.
Hardwood floors for rentals? Be prepared for damage. Burns, furniture scrapes, boot prints after a day at the service station, funny smells from pets or guest pets that just won't go away plus the yellow stains, warpage from water damage, and so forth.
As an option, you can refinish the hardwood if it doesn't cost too much then after several tenants put carpet down if it gets too bad.
When renting, consider that anything that can be soiled, stained, or damaged, will be -- whether it be walls, floors, doors, cabinets, etc.
Yes, there is a security deposit to maybe cover damages, etc, but it is best to get into the business of landlording with an open eye.
Yes, there are wonderful exceptions of long term tenants who keep the unit in pristine condition. But they are lucky exceptions.

I hope this single perspective is helpful to you.
j :D

MrNewEngland

Post by MrNewEngland » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:54 pm

hightower wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:41 pm

Do not try refinishing the floor with a belt type sander. You will ruin your floors.
I will second this notion, particularly if they're engineered hardwoods. I really screwed my floors up attempting to refinish them.

That's why I went with the vinyl flooring.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:42 pm

MrNewEngland wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:54 pm
hightower wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:41 pm

I will second this notion, particularly if they're engineered hardwoods. I really screwed my floors up attempting to refinish them.

That's why I went with the vinyl flooring.
+1
Even if they are true hardwood floors, there is proper machine for it (large pad vibrating) and an exact technique to doing it without messing it up.