Driver's License Number in regards to Equifax Breach

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Post Reply
User avatar
flamesabers
Posts: 1546
Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:05 pm
Location: Rochester, MN

Driver's License Number in regards to Equifax Breach

Post by flamesabers » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:07 am

Hello all,

Has anyone done anything specific to protect their driver license number in light of the Equifax breach? I've been seeing some articles stating the driver license numbers for up to 11 million Americans may have been leaked.

http://www.businessinsider.com/equifax- ... es-2017-10

http://www.foxbusiness.com/features/201 ... icans.html

Since I haven't obtained the Real ID driver license yet (my state hasn't made it mandatory), I'm considering whether I should get it now to better protect myself against the threat of identity thief.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

User avatar
Pajamas
Posts: 2816
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:32 pm

Re: Driver's License Number in regards to Equifax Breach

Post by Pajamas » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:13 am

How does getting a "Real ID" driver license protect you from identity theft? My understanding is that it is just a driver license issued to minimum security standards. It might be more difficult for an identity theft to get an official driver license by impersonating you, but it doesn't prevent them from creating one fraudulently or using your driver license number for something. An organization would have to require use of the Real ID license to protect you.

Here's more information about them:

https://www.dhs.gov/real-id-public-faqs

I haven't worried about it because my state was not issuing them when I last renewed my driver license. (It will be shortly.) I plan to use my passport any time Real ID is required until I renew the driver license again, which will be many years.

User avatar
flamesabers
Posts: 1546
Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:05 pm
Location: Rochester, MN

Re: Driver's License Number in regards to Equifax Breach

Post by flamesabers » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:29 am

Pajamas wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:13 am
How does getting a "Real ID" driver license protect you from identity theft? My understanding is that it is just a driver license issued to minimum security standards. It might be more difficult for an identity theft to get an official driver license by impersonating you, but it doesn't prevent them from creating one fraudulently or using your driver license number for something. An organization would have to require use of the Real ID license to protect you.
1. I'm not sure whether I would get a new number when I get the "Real ID" driver license. I believe when I turned 21 and got a new license, I got a brand new license number. I'm curious to see if this is the case for those who have obtained the "Real ID" driver license.

2. Hypothetically if someone did try to make a fraudulent copy of my driver license, I imagine it would be more difficult with the "Real ID" version then what I currently have. This wouldn't make a difference if the fraudulent copy wasn't ran against a database (i.e. a thief uses the license as proof of identity to withdraw money from my checking account). However, it might make a difference if the thief was pulled over for speeding and gave my license to the police officer to check for previous traffic violations. I'm not familiar with the ins and outs of such a database, but I would imagine there would be an alert that my valid driver license complies with "Real ID" standards which in turn would tell the police officer that the license in hand isn't a legitimate driver license.

Rupert
Posts: 2712
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:01 pm

Re: Driver's License Number in regards to Equifax Breach

Post by Rupert » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:52 am

flamesabers wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:29 am
Pajamas wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:13 am
How does getting a "Real ID" driver license protect you from identity theft? My understanding is that it is just a driver license issued to minimum security standards. It might be more difficult for an identity theft to get an official driver license by impersonating you, but it doesn't prevent them from creating one fraudulently or using your driver license number for something. An organization would have to require use of the Real ID license to protect you.
1. I'm not sure whether I would get a new number when I get the "Real ID" driver license. I believe when I turned 21 and got a new license, I got a brand new license number. I'm curious to see if this is the case for those who have obtained the "Real ID" driver license.

2. Hypothetically if someone did try to make a fraudulent copy of my driver license, I imagine it would be more difficult with the "Real ID" version then what I currently have. This wouldn't make a difference if the fraudulent copy wasn't ran against a database (i.e. a thief uses the license as proof of identity to withdraw money from my checking account). However, it might make a difference if the thief was pulled over for speeding and gave my license to the police officer to check for previous traffic violations. I'm not familiar with the ins and outs of such a database, but I would imagine there would be an alert that my valid driver license complies with "Real ID" standards which in turn would tell the police officer that the license in hand isn't a legitimate driver license.
My DL number didn't change when I got a Real ID license. I suppose you could ask for a new number when you get the Real ID, but I'm not sure if they'll give you one (may depend on the state, of course). My Real ID license looks exactly the same as my old license except that it has a little gold star in one corner. I do think the Real ID process will make it more difficult for an identity thief to get a real DL issued in your name. I had to show a passport, my social security card (heads up to those of you posting on the social security card thread earlier this week), and a couple of utility bills with my address on them to get the Real ID.

User avatar
Pajamas
Posts: 2816
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:32 pm

Re: Driver's License Number in regards to Equifax Breach

Post by Pajamas » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:53 am

I don't think you are issued a new number. The government is just confirming your identity under stricter standards before issuing a license that is harder to forge.

I still don't see how you getting one would prevent identity theft, although it might reduce identity theft if organizations require their use.

DiggleRex
Posts: 168
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:17 am

Re: Driver's License Number in regards to Equifax Breach

Post by DiggleRex » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:08 pm

I'm not 100% sure about this but I read in 1 or 2 articles, that driver license #s are (potentially) an issue for people who specifically gave that info to Equifax as part of trying to resolve a dispute or prove their identity, etc, which is why it may be 11 million out of 145 million. One example:

http://mashable.com/2017/10/11/equifax- ... 8_Z5ympmqx

*This is why I hate that all these companies--when something doesn't work online--want more info, including a copy of a driver's license! I realize it's in theory to prove that we are who we say we are--but they clearly don't protect this sensitive info well.

User avatar
flamesabers
Posts: 1546
Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:05 pm
Location: Rochester, MN

Re: Driver's License Number in regards to Equifax Breach

Post by flamesabers » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:34 pm

Rupert wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:52 am
My DL number didn't change when I got a Real ID license. I suppose you could ask for a new number when you get the Real ID, but I'm not sure if they'll give you one (may depend on the state, of course). My Real ID license looks exactly the same as my old license except that it has a little gold star in one corner. I do think the Real ID process will make it more difficult for an identity thief to get a real DL issued in your name. I had to show a passport, my social security card (heads up to those of you posting on the social security card thread earlier this week), and a couple of utility bills with my address on them to get the Real ID.
Thank you for the information. I did some more research and your statement about the little gold star made me realize that the enhanced driver license is a separate item from the Real ID driver license. :oops: (All of the MN articles I read said the standard driver license isn't compliant with Real ID requirements and if I wanted to avoid this issue I would have to get an enhanced driver license).

Even though the enhanced driver license complies with Real ID standards, my state will continue to issue it alongside the Real ID driver's license (which is expected to be first issued in October 2018).
Pajamas wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:53 am
I don't think you are issued a new number. The government is just confirming your identity under stricter standards before issuing a license that is harder to forge.

I still don't see how you getting one would prevent identity theft, although it might reduce identity theft if organizations require their use.
Ok. I was hoping that the state government would give a new number when you "upgrade" your driver license to the more high-tech version.
DiggleRex wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:08 pm
I'm not 100% sure about this but I read in 1 or 2 articles, that driver license #s are (potentially) an issue for people who specifically gave that info to Equifax as part of trying to resolve a dispute or prove their identity, etc, which is why it may be 11 million out of 145 million. One example:

http://mashable.com/2017/10/11/equifax- ... 8_Z5ympmqx

*This is why I hate that all these companies--when something doesn't work online--want more info, including a copy of a driver's license! I realize it's in theory to prove that we are who we say we are--but they clearly don't protect this sensitive info well.
I know I never had to file any disputes with the credit bureaus but I can't remember if I ever gave them my driver license number to prove my identity. :(

User avatar
Phineas J. Whoopee
Posts: 6690
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:18 pm

Re: Driver's License Number in regards to Equifax Breach

Post by Phineas J. Whoopee » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:58 pm

Earlier today I wrote about the REAL ID Act of 2005 (that's how Congress wrote its name). The post may help shed light.
PJW

DiggleRex
Posts: 168
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:17 am

Re: Driver's License Number in regards to Equifax Breach

Post by DiggleRex » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:10 pm

flamesabers wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:34 pm
I know I never had to file any disputes with the credit bureaus but I can't remember if I ever gave them my driver license number to prove my identity. :(
One thing I don't understand is why these companies aren't implementing a form of two factor, instead of asking for more sensitive info that none of us are too keen on giving at this point. I'll give one example. One company I deal with, when I call their customer service, they ask me to confirm some basic info, name/address, email (but nothing like last 4 of social etc), but before they will help me with anything or make changes, they send a one-time text to my phone number while I'm on the phone with them (a number already associated with my account with them), I read them the code, and then they help me. I don't expect any fast changes (sadly), but it seems to me the technology to protect us much better (and make the hackers' job harder) already exists.

User avatar
flamesabers
Posts: 1546
Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:05 pm
Location: Rochester, MN

Re: Driver's License Number in regards to Equifax Breach

Post by flamesabers » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:26 pm

Phineas J. Whoopee wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:58 pm
Earlier today I wrote about the REAL ID Act of 2005 (that's how Congress wrote its name). The post may help shed light.
PJW
From what I understand, MN residents will not be mandated to "upgrade" to the enhanced driver license or the Real ID driver license even after the October 1, 2020 deadline. The standard driver license will not be phased out but MN residents who continue to have the standard driver license will need a passport or other acceptable form of ID to board a plane and such.

Rupert
Posts: 2712
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:01 pm

Re: Driver's License Number in regards to Equifax Breach

Post by Rupert » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:38 pm

flamesabers wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:26 pm
Phineas J. Whoopee wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:58 pm
Earlier today I wrote about the REAL ID Act of 2005 (that's how Congress wrote its name). The post may help shed light.
PJW
From what I understand, MN residents will not be mandated to "upgrade" to the enhanced driver license or the Real ID driver license even after the October 1, 2020 deadline. The standard driver license will not be phased out but MN residents who continue to have the standard driver license will need a passport or other acceptable form of ID to board a plane and such.
That's right. In my state you can still get an ordinary DL as well. If you never fly and you object to Real ID on principle, just stick with what you have.

Edited to note that you can, of course, still fly without a Real ID if you have a passport. But if you have a passport, I don't see why you would find Real ID objectionable. A passport is also a "national ID" (actually, an international ID).
Last edited by Rupert on Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nate79
Posts: 1427
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:24 pm
Location: Portland, OR

Re: Driver's License Number in regards to Equifax Breach

Post by Nate79 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:48 pm

DiggleRex wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:10 pm
flamesabers wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:34 pm
I know I never had to file any disputes with the credit bureaus but I can't remember if I ever gave them my driver license number to prove my identity. :(
One thing I don't understand is why these companies aren't implementing a form of two factor, instead of asking for more sensitive info that none of us are too keen on giving at this point. I'll give one example. One company I deal with, when I call their customer service, they ask me to confirm some basic info, name/address, email (but nothing like last 4 of social etc), but before they will help me with anything or make changes, they send a one-time text to my phone number while I'm on the phone with them (a number already associated with my account with them), I read them the code, and then they help me. I don't expect any fast changes (sadly), but it seems to me the technology to protect us much better (and make the hackers' job harder) already exists.
The credit agencies already have all of the information on you. They collect this information from their various customers when providing credit reports to companies wishing to provide you credit. We as a consumer are not the customer target of the credit agencies. We are their data that they are already collecting. The information you provide to the credit agency is used to validate to them you are who you are because they have all that information already. The right to be forgotten is not law in the US so we do not have any control over this process to prevent the credit agencies from collecting all of our information (and then losing it to hackers) unlike in Europe.

DiggleRex
Posts: 168
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:17 am

Re: Driver's License Number in regards to Equifax Breach

Post by DiggleRex » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:15 pm

Nate79 wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:48 pm
The credit agencies already have all of the information on you. They collect this information from their various customers when providing credit reports to companies wishing to provide you credit. We as a consumer are not the customer target of the credit agencies. We are their data that they are already collecting. The information you provide to the credit agency is used to validate to them you are who you are because they have all that information already. The right to be forgotten is not law in the US so we do not have any control over this process to prevent the credit agencies from collecting all of our information (and then losing it to hackers) unlike in Europe.
I understand your point. I guess for me, even if they already have this info on me, I'm still very uncomfortable sending it to them again (via mail or online upload). Also, I feel that using tech that already exists, our identities could be confirmed in an easier, less invasive way.

Post Reply