Using recent Quicken versions standalone

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
gd

Using recent Quicken versions standalone

Post by gd » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:28 am

I've got Quicken 2015 for Windows. I don't use any downloading features, and there will be no more bug fixes for it. I just want to use it as a static, standalone PC program. I've unfortunately let it get updated recently, and now receive nags to set up a new account and receive "critical upgrades" every start and close. I don't need or want to set up an account with the new owners, and don't trust them to do any more updates out of concern they may increase pressure to buy upgrades. Does anyone know of any tactics to break the link and ideally stop the nags, either within Quicken or Windows (e.g. block internet access).

BTW, I've investigated other financial tracking programs, they do not meet my needs.

Silk McCue

Re: Using recent Quicken versions standalone

Post by Silk McCue » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:42 am

I use Quicken 2015 and recently setup my ID on the new server. Easy Peasy. I also applied the updates. Everything works fine. It will be less painful for you in my opinion to simply perform the setup that they are requesting. Or you can dig your heels in and spend more time on this than you need to. Good Luck.

meebers

Post by meebers » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:45 pm

I would do a backup of your quicken file, save it on a flash drive away from the computer. Update with quicken and if you don't like the results, delete/uninstall your current version of Quicken and reinstall Q15 again. Point to your data file that you just saved and move on. If you got the machine connected to the internet, and you run quicken again, it will want to update. Option #2, use a spreadsheet.

gd

Post by gd » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:42 am

OP here. Thanks for the two suggestions. I agree this is stretching and usually don't dig in my heels about this stuff, but the new owners have tried unsuccessfully to do this with newer versions already in Canada (ref: previous threads in BH). It's a good time to step off the slippery slope. Reinstalling from DVD will protect me from a lockout, and I don't think there were any necessary-for-me bug fixes from my DVD version (but am not positive). But I'll have the same problem as now-- it'll immediately want to connect and update the new install, perhaps not so obnoxiously. No clue what will happen if it does so with the old account system inop, a disquieting idea in any case.

What I did just try was setting up Windows (10) Firewall to block Quicken's internet access. Started and stopped it twice, no nags.

Edit: still get the occasional starting splashscreen, but nothing like before. So far, recommend the firewall trick if wanting to break free and regain complete control of your Quicken purchase, although without transaction and price download capability.

obgraham

Post by obgraham » Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:13 pm

I would have a look around internet for a downloadable old version of Quicken.

Mrs O recently purchased Quicken 2017 "to get her checkbook on a register". What a wreck, with all the upgrading, going online for this and that. I've been using Quicken 2009 since, well, 2009, with no issues whatsoever. I convinced her to install 2009 instead, and it is working fine. The old versions work well on Win 8 and Win 10, despite all the claims that you have to get a new version.

Now, all of this is predicated on not wanting to download transactions or use any Cloud functioning of Quicken.

earlyout

Post by earlyout » Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:50 pm

I've used Quicken at least weekly for the past 12 years for tracking household expenses and reconciling credit card and bank accounts. I have never downloaded anything and do not store anything on their "cloud". About a year ago, for support reasons, I migrated from Quicken 2013 to 2016. Then suddenly about a 6 weeks ago Quicken started to request that I sign-in to my Quicken account when I started the program. I found that if I just cancelled these sign-in windows, Quicken would go ahead and run anyway. A couple of weeks ago Quicken requested I open a new quicken account. I put in an ID and a password for Quicken and proceeded to use Quicken. Since then I have started the program several times and have not been asked to sign-in. I have not had to use my new ID/PW for Quicken. Creating the id/password for Quicken was almost painless and I have seen no change in my use of the program.