Checking VIN numbers on a new car

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
CWRadio

Checking VIN numbers on a new car

Post by CWRadio » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:48 pm

I was at a Toyota dealer looking at a new RAV4. The car I liked was made in December 2016 and had 10 miles on it. I also noticed some dirt in the tail gate truck area.
I called Toyota customer service and they checked the VIN numbers. They told me the car was sold June 30 2017 and the selling dealer is the same dealer I am at.
I am trying to understand what this all means. I did not buy the car. Thanks. Paul
Last edited by CWRadio on Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bloom2708

Re: Checking VIN numbers on a new car

Post by bloom2708 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:53 pm

Do you have the VIN?

https://www.vehiclehistory.com/

This site is kind of carfax light.

Cars on dealer sites are complicated. They could start out on a floorplan with Toyota and then have to move to the dealer inventory. That could be considered a title transfer. If the dealer has a floorplan, they can only be on so long.

Inventory can sit out in grass/field lots if there are too many cars to fit on a lot. Might be no way to find out.
"We are here not to please but to provoke thoughtfulness" Unknown Boglehead

denovo

Post by denovo » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:54 pm

Sometimes dealers can unwind transactions and consider the cars new still.

mmarreco

Post by mmarreco » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:04 pm

CWRadio wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:48 pm
I was at a Toyota dealer looking at a new RAV4. The car I liked was made in December 2916 and had 10 miles on it. I also noticed some dirt in the tail gate truck area.
I called Toyota customer service and they checked the VIN numbers. They told me the car was sold June 30 2017 and the selling dealer is the same dealer I am at.
I am trying to understand what this all means. I did not buy the car. Thanks. Paul
Sometimes dealers report vehicles sold in order to get paid incentives from manufacturers earlier or in anticipation of a phaseout of a fat incentive. That's a practice that can result in the dealership being punished, but that I seen happening a lot during my days in the auto industry.

What a buyer needs to be careful with is the start date of the warranty, it is typically the sale date, which would mean that whoever buys that vehicle would not get the full warranty period.

mega317

Post by mega317 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:54 pm

I'd think a -900 year old car shouldn't have any dirt in the trunk.

There are enough RAV4s out there that you should be able to get what you want without having to worry about dirt and warranty dates.

CWRadio

Post by CWRadio » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:42 pm

bloom2708 wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:53 pm
Do you have the VIN?

https://www.vehiclehistory.com/

This site is kind of carfax light.
Thanks all for your replies.
I plug in the VIN into vehiclehistory.com and no problems shown except a recall for spare tire. I tried using CarFax and it showed 4 record, but to view them it will cost $40. Paul

silverlitegs

Post by silverlitegs » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:21 pm

carfax has a mycarfax where some records are visible, login here https://www.mycarfax.com/ . If you search around www.reddit.com/r/carfax, you can find $5 carfaxs