Care by Volvo

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Post Reply
Chims77
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:58 pm

Care by Volvo

Post by Chims77 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:40 pm

Curious what the forum's thoughts are on the recently announced Care by Volvo program.

They're touting it as a subscription service as opposed to a leasing plan, fancy words ! I guess the major disadvantage here is that you can't negotiate on the price so i'm sure that will set many BH's hair on fire !

My wife and I drive fairly old vehicles which we own outright ( 2010 Kia and a 2012 VW Passat). Between the windscreen replacements, new tires and really having no idea what the garage is going to find wrong next, i'm tempted to look into this program a little more. I realize you're paying a premium for this concierge type of leasing, but i really am fed up with dealerships and independent garages who are trying to gouge me every time i bring the car in for a service.
I'm sure there will be many more manufacturers following suite with their own version of Care by Volvo so i don't feel like i will be limited to Volvo

t60
Posts: 106
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:19 pm

Re: Care by Volvo

Post by t60 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:58 pm

They offer new cars every two years. IIRC most new cars offer free maintenance the first 2-3 years; let's be honest, it's mostly just oil changes, tire rotations and filter replacements anyway. If it's electric, you're just looking at tire rotations.

"Pricing will be €699/month across Europe for the base XC40 small premium SUV. Pricing for the US will be announced at the LA motor show in November."

JMHO, but holy cow that's expensive..IMO you'd be better off just straight up leasing for 2-3 years.

btenny
Posts: 4187
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:47 pm

Re: Care by Volvo

Post by btenny » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:59 pm

I suspect they are just trying to compete with the Lexus dealers. I have friends who absolutely love the Lexus brand due to the hand holding and free stuff they get from the dealer. They drive two Lexus, his and hers. They like that the dealer lets them park in their back lot when they travel for days or week at a time. They like the clean showroom and service area during quick oil changes and free car washes. They like not having to drive all the way to the dealer (30 miles) to get work done. The dealer meets them part way with a loaner car. Plus they just love the car quality and reliability and fit and finish. They lease a new car every year or so (his one year, hers the next) and are not bothered by the price.

So Volvo has long way to go to compete.

barnaclebob
Posts: 2294
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:54 am

Re: Care by Volvo

Post by barnaclebob » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:02 pm

Don't buy cars like VW's and you will be a lot less likely to go into the dealer or mechanic for repairs in the first place. And when you do have to go in it won't be so expensive.

Chims77
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:58 pm

Re: Care by Volvo

Post by Chims77 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:24 pm

btenny wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:59 pm
I suspect they are just trying to compete with the Lexus dealers. I have friends who absolutely love the Lexus brand due to the hand holding and free stuff they get from the dealer. They drive two Lexus, his and hers. They like that the dealer lets them park in their back lot when they travel for days or week at a time. They like the clean showroom and service area during quick oil changes and free car washes. They like not having to drive all the way to the dealer (30 miles) to get work done. The dealer meets them part way with a loaner car. Plus they just love the car quality and reliability and fit and finish. They lease a new car every year or so (his one year, hers the next) and are not bothered by the price.

So Volvo has long way to go to compete.
I heard from a colleague that the Lexus dealership who sold him his car has a golf simulator in the dealership !

Chims77
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:58 pm

Re: Care by Volvo

Post by Chims77 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:26 pm

barnaclebob wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:02 pm
Don't buy cars like VW's and you will be a lot less likely to go into the dealer or mechanic for repairs in the first place. And when you do have to go in it won't be so expensive.
You missed my point. Regardless of whether there is anything wrong with the car, dealerships etc will find something wrong and charge you a small fortune. It's not limited to VW

User avatar
whodidntante
Posts: 2321
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:11 pm

Re: Care by Volvo

Post by whodidntante » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:10 pm

Chims77 wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:26 pm
barnaclebob wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:02 pm
Don't buy cars like VW's and you will be a lot less likely to go into the dealer or mechanic for repairs in the first place. And when you do have to go in it won't be so expensive.
You missed my point. Regardless of whether there is anything wrong with the car, dealerships etc will find something wrong and charge you a small fortune. It's not limited to VW
This is one reason I do my own maintenance and repairs. My health will eventually fail, but when it does, hopefully my mouth will still work well enough to utter "no" to unnecessary repairs.

User avatar
bottlecap
Posts: 5064
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:21 pm
Location: Tennessee

Re: Care by Volvo

Post by bottlecap » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:49 pm

Whether paying $10,000 a year for a $35,000 subcompact SUV with mileage restrictions is a good deal is a value judgment.

Me, I'll do some repairs myself, find a good mechanic that doesn't upcharge me, and save $8,000 a year.

JT

daveydoo
Posts: 956
Joined: Sun May 15, 2016 1:53 am

Re: Care by Volvo

Post by daveydoo » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:57 pm

Chims77 wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:26 pm

You missed my point. Regardless of whether there is anything wrong with the car, dealerships etc will find something wrong and charge you a small fortune. It's not limited to VW
+1. Just found a good indy shop for our BMW. Not cheap, but no "gotchas" -- so far...

emoore
Posts: 347
Joined: Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:16 pm

Re: Care by Volvo

Post by emoore » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:00 pm

barnaclebob wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:02 pm
Don't buy cars like VW's and you will be a lot less likely to go into the dealer or mechanic for repairs in the first place. And when you do have to go in it won't be so expensive.
Zero unscheduled maintaince from my VW. I must be doing something wrong.

Chims77
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:58 pm

Re: Care by Volvo

Post by Chims77 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:48 am

I've gone through a few shops over the years and it's almost like these guys see you coming from a mile away, frothing at the mouth at the opportunity to upcharge you. It's an uncomfortable experience hence me thinking it's time to jump into the lease game.

Jack FFR1846
Posts: 5878
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:05 am

Re: Care by Volvo

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:00 am

It has become a huge advantage to be able to DIY maintenance and repairs. I recently talked with someone who brought their car to the dealer for a tire rotation on a Saturday. It's their busiest day and the vast majority of cars come in for oil changes. Well, while the car was up in the air, the monkey who does the oil changes drains the oil. Since the repair tag doesn't have oil change on it, nobody bothers to put in new oil. He drives away with rotated tires and no oil in the car.

There's also the huge rip off of the 30k, 60k, 90k services. I look at what's included in those services. For 30k, for example, what does my $399 buy me? An oil change and a bunch of check this and top off that. If they're good, an air filter. I'll go to auto zone and pick up my own synthetic oil and filter and they'll then have a discount on the air filter as an incentive to buy it. I'll go home and do the work and lubricate my own damned door hinges, check the brake fluid, wiper fluid and coolant and then maybe stand there and look at the car wondering where the other $350 goes towards.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

bloom2708
Posts: 2938
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:08 pm
Location: Fargo, ND

Re: Care by Volvo

Post by bloom2708 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:45 am

Chims77 wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:40 pm
My wife and I drive fairly old vehicles which we own outright ( 2010 Kia and a 2012 VW Passat).
This gave me a smile. 5 years old isn't too old yet. I drive a 2001 and don't think that is too old. :wink:
"We are here not to please but to provoke thoughtfulness" Unknown Boglehead

ncbill
Posts: 115
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:03 pm

Re: Care by Volvo

Post by ncbill » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:03 pm

Chims77 wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:40 pm
Curious what the forum's thoughts are on the recently announced Care by Volvo program.

They're touting it as a subscription service as opposed to a leasing plan, fancy words ! I guess the major disadvantage here is that you can't negotiate on the price so i'm sure that will set many BH's hair on fire !

My wife and I drive fairly old vehicles which we own outright ( 2010 Kia and a 2012 VW Passat). Between the windscreen replacements, new tires and really having no idea what the garage is going to find wrong next, i'm tempted to look into this program a little more. I realize you're paying a premium for this concierge type of leasing, but i really am fed up with dealerships and independent garages who are trying to gouge me every time i bring the car in for a service.
I'm sure there will be many more manufacturers following suite with their own version of Care by Volvo so i don't feel like i will be limited to Volvo
why don't you just lease, via a broker if you don't want to negotiate the lease terms yourself?

see leasehackr [sic] dot com for tips & whatever models are currently leasing well from Volvo or your preferred automaker.

Chims77
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:58 pm

Re: Care by Volvo

Post by Chims77 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:07 pm

ncbill wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:03 pm
Chims77 wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:40 pm
Curious what the forum's thoughts are on the recently announced Care by Volvo program.

They're touting it as a subscription service as opposed to a leasing plan, fancy words ! I guess the major disadvantage here is that you can't negotiate on the price so i'm sure that will set many BH's hair on fire !

My wife and I drive fairly old vehicles which we own outright ( 2010 Kia and a 2012 VW Passat). Between the windscreen replacements, new tires and really having no idea what the garage is going to find wrong next, i'm tempted to look into this program a little more. I realize you're paying a premium for this concierge type of leasing, but i really am fed up with dealerships and independent garages who are trying to gouge me every time i bring the car in for a service.
I'm sure there will be many more manufacturers following suite with their own version of Care by Volvo so i don't feel like i will be limited to Volvo
why don't you just lease, via a broker if you don't want to negotiate the lease terms yourself?

see leasehackr [sic] dot com for tips & whatever models are currently leasing well from Volvo or your preferred automaker.
Thanks, i'll look into them

Post Reply