2017 Honda Accord Hybrid EX-L???

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Agon

2017 Honda Accord Hybrid EX-L???

Post by Agon »

Is it ever worth it to buy a new car earlier than planned to get a great deal on a model year close out? Here's the scoop.

*Currently my wife and I own a 2011 Civic (119k miles great condition) and a 2012 CR-V (88k miles great condition).

*We weren't planning on replacing either until at least 150k miles.

*After inquiring about a Hybrid Accord during an oil change at the dealership (I had a coupon), and then going back and forth, they called this
morning and offered what I feel is a really great deal. They offered to sell a 2017 Accord EX-L for $25,900. ($27,833 out the door) This price is
considerably lower than the lowest person paid on truecar.com. This car stickers at $33k. I would have to finance it at 0.9% to get that deal.

*I understand that the dealers are trying to get rid of the 2017 Accords to make way for the 2018's. Also, hybrids are seemingly falling out of favor
with fairly low gas prices.

*I'm curious in your opinions. Is this too good of deal to pass up or am I thinking I'm saving money and in all actuality I'm spending it prematurely?
(like when my wife buys shoes that are on sale)

Thanks in advance for your help.
Compound

Re: 2017 Honda Accord Hybrid EX-L???

Post by Compound »

Your current cars are in good shape and should remain so for a while. Why even consider buying a new car unless the deal is staggeringly good. In my view, this deal isn’t even close. Pass.
H-Town

Post by H-Town »

It's never a good deal when you buy things you don't need, regardless of how much discount they give you. It will be 2-4 years down the road when one of your cars hit 150k and you need to replace.
Time is the ultimate currency.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

The same deal will be there a year from now, when you have 12k more miles on each of your vehicles. If you really like the new car, plan for it for a year from now. Both of your cars have relatively low miles for how many miles I'd expect they'd last (they're both near their half lives).

The longer you keep both cars, the less expensive they are for you to own.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

I think you have two pretty good cars that will go a long way.

I've learned you can never "save" money by spending it. Even on a really good deal.

.9% is a good rate, but it doesn't sound like you saved anything/much for a new car purchase.

Insurance will be more, license/taxes each year more. I like cars. Don't get me wrong. But going from a Civic to an Accord is not much of an upgrade in size. So no real change for trips in the car.

I would pass. There is always the next great deal when you are more ready/needing to buy.
z91

Post by z91 »

thangngo wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:51 am It's never a good deal when you buy things you don't need, regardless of how much discount they give you.
I disagree. If they offer me a superstar discount I'd bite. This isn't one of those cases though.

OP: Consider the headache of trying to sell either of your current cars. Why complicate your life. Drive your cars until they have serious issues and you are truly ready to buy a new car. At that point it may even be electric..
crit

Post by crit »

Not a screaming deal, no. I would not bite.

Two things about the 2017 hybrid accord: the back seat does not fold down due to the placement of the battery (this was a dealkiller for me), and the controls are ALL touchscreen. Even the volume "knob" is virtual. I did not like that very much, and I read somewhere that they're going back to physical dials/buttons somewhat in future models.

The 2017 was the first come-back year for an accord hybrid, and while I believe in accords and in hybrids, this wasn't a great version imho. Our test rode saw ~36 mpg, which is just not ... really worth the premium.
wolingfeng

Post by wolingfeng »

The main questions you have to ask yourself are, do you need it? Do you want it? Can you afford it? Do you like the 2017 hybrid accord?

Personally I like hybrid accord, the plus side is if you do lots of city driving, you will benefit from gas saving and brakes wearing a lot slower. Also new cars you don't have to spend as much money and time to maintain your car.

The down side is money... do you think accord can bring you additional/irreplaceable features and convenience that Civic can't? It's a bigger and nicer car, but if only you use to commute to work, that might be kind of unnecessary?

If you can afford the cost, and you believe the new accord can bring you value in your life, then that's good, otherwise you should just say no thank you to the deal.
sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal »

It's a great deal if you were in this market for a new car.
thangngo wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:51 am It's never a good deal when you buy things you don't need, regardless of how much discount they give you. It will be 2-4 years down the road when one of your cars hit 150k and you need to replace.
^^^ This
Beehave

Post by Beehave »

The 22% discount is impressive. Honda dealers used to refuse to discount and even wanted to charge higher than list. Toyota dealers, in my experience, have been willing to deal aggressively -- at least with similar-type sedans. Assuming you can normally get a 15 to 18% discount off of list for a similar sedan, the 22% off the Accord hybrid deal is a savings of about $1200 to $1800 beyond normal. You will also achieve gasoline savings and possibly get some free oil changes and tire rotations and 3 year warranty.

However, you'll be taking out a loan you don't need (at $250-300 interest per year I'd guess), buying a car that you may not like as much as what you give up, you'll need collision insurance that you may be able to cancel if you keep the older car long enough, and you'll forego the huge safety (and maybe fuel efficiency) increases you likely can easily get if you wait another 3-4 years before purchasing.

I'd say best bet is not to purchase now.
WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima »

If you dont neet it, don't buy. car is a consumption item. Even you get 22% off MSRP, once it drive off the dealer lot, it already loss 20% of MSRP value. Plus tax and fees. Wait until your old die then buy.
roflwaffle

Post by roflwaffle »

I'd run the numbers before you do anything else.

Which vehicle would you replace?
How much could you get for that vehicle? (I'd just ask carmax for an offer)

Over the next however many years..

How much would you save on gas (fueleconomy.gov)?
How much would you save in brake maintenance/repairs (This is usually as much as the gas savings)?
How much would you save in reducing the frequency of other repairs by having a newer car?
How much will you pay in interest on the loan for the Accord?
How much more would your insurance be?

If you've considered all that and the Accord is still more expensive, is that extra yearly cost worthwhile to you given any differences in the Civic/Accord?

That's going to give you an idea of whether you should think about selling/buying.
Topic Author
Agon

Post by Agon »

Thank you for your thoughts. It looks like it's almost unanimous. I shouldn't buy it. That was where I was leaning too. Maybe I will shove the offer back over the desk another time to see if they get desperate with the 2018's coming out. Just looking at the dealer's inventory over the last couple months they haven't moved any hybrid accords.
One boglehead above mentioned he'd do it for a 'rock star deal'. What would you consider a unreal deal that would be too good to pass up?
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

Technology in cars specifically in the accident avoidance area is changing and improving very rapidly. If you currently have a car that you can keep driving and live with, do everything you can to wait 3-4 or more years before buying a new car. Buying last year's car (a holdover 2017) means being stuck with end of an era safety technology, even though it is a hybrid, not a good idea.
Countermoon

Post by Countermoon »

I would drive your car(s) for another 3-4 years and then purchase one of the new model Accord Hybrids. The reviews are generally glowing - better fuel economy, quieter, upscale interior, etc. I believe the 2018 hybrid goes on sale in January or February and will have the exact same trunk space and 60/40 split folding seats as the gasoline models.

I imagine a 2018 Accord Hybrid EX-L at 3 or 4 years old will be pretty affordable. Of course, that may change if gas prices skyrocket in the interim.
Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 »

I wouldn't bother with the Hybrid personally. The gas Accord gets 38 mpg highway and you can get it for even less.