What to do with unused paint?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
ved

What to do with unused paint?

Post by ved »

Hi,

We got our house painted this past summer. To select the colors, we bought a lot of samples (quart size) from Sherwin Williams.
What do we do with all those samples? Can we donate them somewhere?
stan1

Re: What to do with unused paint?

Post by stan1 »

In my city you take it to a local paint store for recycling. Stores take up to 5 gallons of paint in one visit. Easiest thing to do would be to call the store you bought it from and see what the procedure is in your city. http://www.paintcare.org operates in some states (when required by law).
Warning: I am about 80% satisficer (accepting of good enough) and 20% maximizer
tim1999

Post by tim1999 »

This will make some people angry, but I make sure the lids are on properly then put it in thick contractor-style black trash bags and put it in the trash can for pickup. Where I live, the trash folks will take anything as long as they can't see what it is.
Gill

Post by Gill »

tim1999 wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:37 pm This will make some people angry, but I make sure the lids are on properly then put it in thick contractor-style black trash bags and put it in the trash can for pickup. Where I live, the trash folks will take anything as long as they can't see what it is.
Yes, it does make some people angry. Do you have no regard for the environment?
Gill
Cost basis is redundant. One has a basis in an investment | One advises and gives advice | One should follow the principle of investing one's principal
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

My local Sherwin Williams person said they give un-used paint samples to local schools. I suppose they use them for sets in plays or whatever.

Our land fill will take paint that is either dry or mixed with sand or dirt or kitty litter.
dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron »

Theater groups may be able to use them for painting sets. Contact the high school drama club or local community theater.

If worse comes to worse, my understanding is that an environmentally safe way to dispose is to paint scrap wood (e.g. used pallets), let it dry, and throw out the wood.
white_water

Post by white_water »

We gave ours to the local Boys and Girls club for art projects after checking to see if paint donation was welcome. They said they'd use it painting stage scenery.
motorcyclesarecool

Post by motorcyclesarecool »

My local solid waste district has a drop-off center. They filter it and re-sell the paint in a few colors in 10 gallon batches. If I owned rental real estate, I'd buy it.
Understand that choosing an HDHP is very much a "red pill" approach. Most would rather pay higher premiums for a $20 copay per visit. They will think you weird for choosing an HSA.
latexman

Post by latexman »

For water based latex paint, leave the lid off, let it dry out, then throw it in the trash. It is not hazardous.
fposte

Post by fposte »

Gill wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:46 pm
tim1999 wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:37 pm This will make some people angry, but I make sure the lids are on properly then put it in thick contractor-style black trash bags and put it in the trash can for pickup. Where I live, the trash folks will take anything as long as they can't see what it is.
Throwing it in the garbage is actually approved in my municipality, though you're supposed to let it dry out first. ved, do you have a city waste/recycling webpage that might guide you?
fnmix

Post by fnmix »

Tim - is it legal to do this where (State, county) you live?

States/Counties have various guidelines for paint. In California, putting paint in household trash is illegal - at least as I understand the rule (http://www.calrecycle.ca.gov/homehazwaste/info/). In Maryland, at least in some counties, there are special handling provisions (http://www2.montgomerycountymd.gov/DepH ... ial_key=31)

J295

Post by J295 »

For latex mix in kitty litter. It hardens overnight and then put in trash.
minesweep
Location: 27,000 light years from the Galactic Center of the Milky Way Galaxy (the suburbs)

Post by minesweep »

Gill
Latex is considered non-toxic. Oil base paints are another matter.

How to dispose of paint cans
Time is your friend; impulse is your enemy - John Bogle | Learn every day, but especially from the experiences of others, it's cheaper! - John Bogle
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

It depends upon the type of paint.
For oil based you need to bring it to a household hazardous waste disposal facility.
For latex based pains you can wash it down the drain and throw away the containers.
At least these are the guidelines where I live.
minesweep
Location: 27,000 light years from the Galactic Center of the Milky Way Galaxy (the suburbs)

Post by minesweep »

DaftInvestor wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:32 pm It depends upon the type of paint.
For oil based you need to bring it to a household hazardous waste disposal facility.
For latex based pains you can wash it down the drain and throw away the containers.
At least these are the guidelines where I live.
Never pour paint into a drain. It can damage your pipes and it isn't good for the water supply.
Don't pour paint into the ground. This is hazardous to the soil
If you need to get rid of a lot of latex paint you may want to consider purchasing waste paint hardener. A cup or so of this powder mixed in with a gallon of paint will cause it to harden up within hours.
Disposing of Latex Paint
Time is your friend; impulse is your enemy - John Bogle | Learn every day, but especially from the experiences of others, it's cheaper! - John Bogle
Beth*

Post by Beth* »

My local dump takes unused paint and makes it available to non-profits within the community.
Topic Author
ved

Post by ved »

Thanks for all the replies.

My local paint store will not take it back. I even asked if I can leave them in a corner of the store and let their other customers take it if they want to sample it, but they won't allow that.

I am told by local township that either I should dry it (mix it with kitty litter), and then throw it in the trash. Or, take it to a hazardous waste recycling - and we have one coming end of October, but I will not be in town on that day :-(

But, I was hoping that someone can use the paint - seems such a waste to dispose of it. I called the local schools and they wouldn't take it.
I will try boy scouts/ girl scouts, or habitat for humanity of they would take it.
BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy »

latexman wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:23 pm For water based latex paint, leave the lid off, let it dry out, then throw it in the trash. It is not hazardous.
Right. This is the recommendation I got from a house painter.
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect
cashmoney

Post by cashmoney »

ved wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:24 pm Hi,

We got our house painted this past summer. To select the colors, we bought a lot of samples (quart size) from Sherwin Williams.

List in the Free section of Craigslist.
birdy

Post by birdy »

In our city, we call the waste disposal department. They will pick it up at the curb at a time they will determine. They also do this for any other hazardous materials.

birdy
InMyDreams

Post by InMyDreams »

in my city, the dump will take almost all hazardous chemicals (including paint) and electronics at no cost to residents - they don't want the nasty stuff in their waste stream. You do have to take it to them.

There are also paint hardeners:
"HDX Paint Hardener is used to harden latex paints. The superabsorbent powders encapsulate the liquid component of the paint, forming a solid block of material. The hardened paint is acceptable for curbside disposal. Solidifies 2/3 gal."

https://www.google.co.ve/search?dcr=0&s ... vS1uiQFIdU

Craig's list is a great idea, too.
Yooper16

Post by Yooper16 »

There are mixes you can buy as a hardener, or as was suggested to mix with kitty litter. The shelves in our basement and garage get periodic painting with the leftovers. It uses the paint and keeps things looking fresher.

Takes a bit of time, but is a relaxing way to spend a couple of hours and have a beer or 2 while listening to some tunes. :sharebeer
LeeMKE

Post by LeeMKE »

I would mix all the remnant paint and use it to paint the inside of the garage on the next move. It would be a sickly color, but a painted garage is better in any color than an unpainted garage.
Last edited by LeeMKE on Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
The mightiest Oak is just a nut who stayed the course.
mouses

Post by mouses »

minesweep wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:32 pm
Gill
Latex is considered non-toxic. Oil base paints are another matter.
In my state you cannot put liquid paint of any type in the trash. If you don't care about the environment, care about the trash people and their trucks when the lid comes off one of these things.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

latexman wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:23 pm For water based latex paint, leave the lid off, let it dry out, then throw it in the trash. It is not hazardous.
This is what I recently did and trash collection company said was ok. Around here the paint stores won’t take it.
Hayden

Post by Hayden »

We took ours to the Habitat for Humanity donation site.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I would keep some of the paint for touch ups.
ralph124cf

Post by ralph124cf »

Paint stores in my area recycle oil based paint, but you are on your own for latex.

Ralph
BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy »

Hayden wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:26 am We took ours to the Habitat for Humanity donation site.
I tried to do that at the HfH in Farmville, VA. They refused it and said that they only accept donations of brand new, unopened cans of paint.

I guess it is a YMMV issue...
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect
jimmo

Post by jimmo »

We've been working on some major house remodeling over the last year. Anything from old vanities and sinks to appliances, doors, and leftover paint, we list on the Free section of Craigslist. Usually get multiple responses within hours. They come pick-up and find a use for it (a lot seems to go to guys fixing up rental properties). Anyhow, I don't have to deal with disposing of it and can feel good that it's not being dumped in the landfill. And if I don't even want to hassle with arranging for pick-up, I list it on the Free section of Craigslist the night before trash comes and just put it out to the curb. "Curb alert" free stuff.

To the person putting the lid on tight and hiding in a trash bag, that's as you know probably know the worst way to get rid of it. At least take the lid off and let it dry out first if you want it disposed of and don't want to put in any effort. Cat litter or sawdust will quicken the process, but even the lazy man version of just taking the lid off and letting in the garage a couple days will work too.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

I'm surprised I haven't seen anyone mention this but I just keep it, combine similar types and for small projects, take it to the store to have them retint them. It isn't precise since they don't have a code that goes from say orange to red, but they generally can get pretty close. To know which types you can combine, my store has a guide that shows which base they start with. Any color that started with that base can be combined and tinted to any other color that starts with that base. Lighter colors start with a different base than darker colors, matte base differs from glossy bases, etc.

For odds and ends that I don't have enough quantity to retint, I donate to the local rehab store where they have more quantity and retint it before reselling it at a steep discount.
open_circuit

Post by open_circuit »

My previous city of residence provided household hazardous waste collection upon demand at no cost a couple times per year. When I moved, I called to have them collect a bunch of unused paint, solvents, oils, and similar. They told me specifically how to prepare the items and mark them. It was easy. Maybe your city or trash company provides a similar service?

Like other posters said, for latex paint, my old city permitted disposal in the trash as long as it was dried out. They recommended leaving the lid off for the paint to dry for a few days before you dispose of it.
knightrider

Post by knightrider »

cashmoney wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:09 pm List in the Free section of Craigslist.
+1 . I give away all my junk this way. 90% gets picked up in a day! Here's a template I use for my ads to minimize work:

First-come, First-served. Just email me a few specific times you can come. Please also read this information below, otherwise I will ignore your email.

1) Is it available? Yes, I will delete ad once it is gone
2) Where are you located? See map with this ad. I will give exact address once you are ready to pick it up
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Our local municipal transfer station has bins and areas for proper disposal of latex paint, oil based paint, solvents, flammables, tires, batteries, recycled materials, etc.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

ved wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:24 pm Hi,

Even a full quart is not enough to paint anything of significant size.

Maybe use them to paint basement and attic furniture, or the garage walls, possibly in a highly creative color scheme.
DetroitRick

Post by DetroitRick »

Latex paint - I never have significant quantities left over: take lid off can, let it dry out thoroughly, toss it in trash.
Oil based - only use oil-based primers and only rarely, so I just use them up any way I can (2nd coat on project, typically).
Watty

Post by Watty »

Our neighborhood has a private facebook group an you can post stuff like that for free and someone will almost always want it.
Rocco Sampler

Post by Rocco Sampler »

My county recycles paint. They mix what people bring them and offer it for free.
Luke Duke

Post by Luke Duke »

Use this and it is safe/legal to put it in the trash.

http://www.amazon.com/Krud-Kutter-Waste ... 0044UWSPW/