Do you want your receipt?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
investorpeter

Do you want your receipt?

Post by investorpeter » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:22 pm

Seems like I am asked this question whenever I make small puchases with my credit card, like coffee at Starbucks, and it always causes me to pause and think for a moment about the best answer. I usually say no, but I always have a millisecond of doubt in my mind whether I should have kept it for some reason. Perhaps I'm afraid that somehow the receipt will have my credit card number on it and will be used for fraudulent transactions, though I know the receipts do not have the CC number on them. The cashier usually just throws it away immediately if I say no. If i say yes, or if they just hand it to me, I usually just crumple it into the deepest recess of my front pocket only to be found by my wife when she does the laundry (or if I'm doing the laundry, it will not be found until the next time I wear those pants and find a little ball of paper at the bottom of my pocket). What do Bogleheads do? Is there a reason to keep the receipt, assuming its not an item that you would ever return, or use for tax deduction / reimbursement?

ResearchMed

Re: Do you want your receipt?

Post by ResearchMed » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:34 pm

investorpeter wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:22 pm
Seems like I am asked this question whenever I make small puchases with my credit card, like coffee at Starbucks, and it always causes me to pause and think for a moment about the best answer. I usually say no, but I always have a millisecond of doubt in my mind whether I should have kept it for some reason. Perhaps I'm afraid that somehow the receipt will have my credit card number on it and will be used for fraudulent transactions, though I know the receipts do not have the CC number on them. The cashier usually just throws it away immediately if I say no. If i say yes, or if they just hand it to me, I usually just crumple it into the deepest recess of my front pocket only to be found by my wife when she does the laundry (or if I'm doing the laundry, it will not be found until the next time I wear those pants and find a little ball of paper at the bottom of my pocket). What do Bogleheads do? Is there a reason to keep the receipt, assuming its not an item that you would ever return, or use for tax deduction / reimbursement?
I usually say "yes" even for small amount purchases, in part out of lack of trust these days.
I guess at some level, I'm figuring that if the perp I mean clerk thinks I keep track of all receipts, then she/he would be less likely to use/misuse my card information, even for a small purchase again.
IF they might have done that, the vague hope is they'll do it to someone else who seems less careful about "keeping track".

My level of overall suspicion/wariness/vigilance has certainly increased over the past several years, and also perhaps days, thanks to situations described right here on this forum.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

nbseer

Post by nbseer » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:37 pm

Since I use my Citi cashback card for just about every purchase, I always get a receipt and keep it until I go online and make sure the proper amount has been charged. Seems like the receipt is the only proof you have if a charge is wrong. Just a habit of mine!

Fclevz

Post by Fclevz » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:38 pm

More and more often it seems that the printed receipt isn't automatic; the cashier has to hit a key to initiate printing. In those cases I'm more likely to say no, but if it already printed, I'll take it.

Helo80

Post by Helo80 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:40 pm

I usually say "yes" and keep it for a few days to make sure the amount that posts is correct.

That being said, if you do not sign for the purchase (common at grocery stores under a certain amount or fast food restaurants), I do not think you can be held liable for the charge if you contest it --- that's why merchants have you sign for it (and the merchant is supposed to check the credit card receipt with the signature on the back of the card).

Most places like Starbucks or the grocery stores that do not have you sign under a certain amount realize that (likely) 99.9% of CC transactions are legit and it's faster to just cede a fraud charge of $10 back to VISA (or whomever) than to store and organization millions of receipts.

mouses

Post by mouses » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:22 pm

I like the fact that receipts are not printed now at some places unless the customer asks for them. I think of this as saving a tiny twig each time.

Places that locally do that in my area are 7/11 at the gas pumps, the local supermarket chain, and Trader Joe's. Instead of a printed receipt, the supermarket chain emails the receipt, thus not only saving paper but giving a record that I can use to see if I am wasting money on something. Once you have signed up for this, their system remembers via your credit card number, so you just slide in the card and presto.

mickeyd

Post by mickeyd » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:35 pm

I always demand a receipt and check them against the monthly statement. How else can you check for fraud accurately?
Part-Owner of Texas | | “The CMH-the Cost Matters Hypothesis -is all that is needed to explain why indexing must and will work… Yes, it is that simple.” John C. Bogle

azurekep

Post by azurekep » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:42 pm

mickeyd wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:35 pm
I always demand a receipt and check them against the monthly statement. How else can you check for fraud accurately?
Exactly.

Though I also like ResearchMed's idea of demonstrating to a clerk that one is on top of all their receipts, indicating a degree of vigilance.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:45 pm

I get an e-mail confirming the details of any credit card transaction I make, and that's enough of a receipt for me for most small transactions. The exception is if I leave a tip post authorization, then I'll keep a receipt until the amended charge posts. Outside the USA, the tip normally needs to be declared prior to the authorization, and occasionally this is practiced in the USA also. Then I don't need a receipt.

zaplunken

Post by zaplunken » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:52 pm

mickeyd wrote:
Exactly! I'm shocked anyone would say no. I guess they just pay whatever the cc statement says or the minimum.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:52 pm

I always take the receipt, check it against the posted charge, and then shred and recycle it.

That not only protects me from incorrect charges and fraud, but also helps protect merchants from employee theft.

prudent

Post by prudent » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:54 pm

I always take the receipt, look at the total right there, put it in my pocket. Wouldn't put it past some clever people to recognize the regular customer who never takes his receipts then overcharges them. I think you at least have to verify that the total is right.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:05 pm

We always take the receipt and clear it on the next credit card statement.

This is one additional reason why we never use our Debit card. We want the widest moat possible around our cash.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

mouses

Post by mouses » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:07 pm

zaplunken wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:52 pm
mickeyd wrote:
Exactly! I'm shocked anyone would say no. I guess they just pay whatever the cc statement says or the minimum.
No. I know the places I normally shop. Perhaps people who spend a lot can't keep track.

BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:07 pm

nbseer wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:37 pm
Since I use my Citi cashback card for just about every purchase, I always get a receipt and keep it until I go online and make sure the proper amount has been charged. Seems like the receipt is the only proof you have if a charge is wrong. Just a habit of mine!
I quit thinking that way 30 years ago when my buddy pointed out (as I questioned his tossing a receipt) that in a dispute, the CC company has to prove the charge, you do not.
“Where you stand, depends on where you sit” - Rufus Miles | "Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities"

staythecourse

Post by staythecourse » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:15 pm

mouses wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:07 pm
zaplunken wrote:
mickeyd wrote:
No. I know the places I normally shop. Perhaps people who spend a lot can't keep track.
Same. Having a receipt for a small charge for lunch just is not worth trying to keep track of. I know the normal charges.

I will say the BIGGEST headache is not keeping receipts, but confirming with my credit card statement refunds when returning online purchases AND/ OR no fraudulent activity on my amazon prime account which we use a TON. on Amazon prime the charges don't always equal up to statement as some of the purchases are broken down to separate charges even if they are all purchased together. For example, product X and product Y is purchased on 10/7/2017 for $100. On the statement sometimes they are recorded as a charge for $25 and $75 instead of a total of $100. That is a pain to reconcile and requires going back to the "order" page and doing some random math. Anyone have an answer for that one?

Good luck.
"The stock market [fluctuation], therefore, is noise. A giant distraction from the business of investing.” | -Jack Bogle

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:22 pm

zaplunken wrote:
How often have you discovered fraud or mistakes when reconciling your paper receipts with the credit card statement?

I used to do that for many years. Entered every transaction into MS Money or Quicken, then later reconciled. Found exactly one fraudulent transaction, and that was one I would have caught anyway because it was a large amount from a store I had never heard of (a bridal store in Texas, thousands of miles away from me).

I stopped doing the Quicken thing because it was just becoming too much work for no gain at least in the fraud department (my monthly number of credit card transactions has probably quadrupled since those days 15 years ago).

I still review my statements, of course, and have caught another large fraudulent purchase (again, a merchant I don't ever buy from).

I ask for a receipt if I am in a store where I feel there is a risk of fraud, which is rare. I should probably just use cash if it's a small purchase. But more and more transactions go through Square terminals and other automated ways. I doubt the coffee shop clerk has any way to alter my purchase total after I leave if I don't ask for a receipt. I also set up my credit cards to send me a text and/or email for every purchase, so I get a confirmation of the amount that way.

knpstr

Post by knpstr » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:30 pm

In these instances: I don't for personal purchases, only for business-related purchases
Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking. -Marcus Aurelius

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:37 pm

I forgot to mention that regardless of whether we take/keep a receipt, we make *certain* that any empty fields (e.g., "tip", and especially some sort of grand "total") are not left empty.
Otherwise, that's just asking for trouble, sooner or later.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

investorpeter

Post by investorpeter » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:54 pm

So the "yes"'s have it by a significant margin. I guess I am in the minority. This is why I love this forum - so many thoughtful answers to a simple thing that most people probably never give a second thought.

I agree with ResearchMed and others that the major risk is that some teenager at the drive-thru will quickly snap a photo of your card while they are getting your big mac and fries, and later use that info to purchase a Nintendo Switch for themselves. And even though the receipt doesn't actually have any information that would allow you to track the fraudulent purchase back to that transaction, not asking for the receipt could make you seem like an easy target because they will assume you don't track your expenses so closely. Perhaps a convincing scowl would have a similar effect. Actually, I sometimes carry cash in my car just for this specific purpose of drive-thru fast food purchases, which is probably the only time I use cash for a transaction, unless required by the merchant.

The other primary reason that people cite is to cross-check with the statement to catch overcharging. But this can be done easier on-line within minutes-hours when the purchase is still fresh in your mind, instead of waiting for the monthly statement. Also, I don't see a strong incentive for the cashier of a fast food joint to intentionally up-charge a transaction since the cashier is almost never the owner of the establishment. I suppose there could be an accidental overcharge, but I do not ever recall catching one, and I check my charges daily. The amount is always stated to you at the time of purchase, and they are all tied to the items you purchase, so you could get overcharged if they added an item you didn't order. But if the amount doesn't seem right then I do ask for the receipt to check the items charged.

And as Pajamas mentioned, checking the accuracy of the receipt protects the merchant from internal theft. I remember back in the day some of the movie theaters in my neighborhood used to post signs stating to customers that if they did not receive a receipt, they could go to the manager and get a free drink. Apparently, there was some sort of scam where the cashier workers would collect old popcorn buckets from the theater, wash them out, and re-sell them for cash without ringing up the register, thereby allowing them to pocket the cash.

zaplunken

Post by zaplunken » Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:14 pm

TravelGeek wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:22 pm
zaplunken wrote:
How often have you discovered fraud or mistakes when reconciling your paper receipts with the credit card statement?

A few times but it has been very infrequent. I save the slips and when I get my statement I check each line on the statement against the slips. It works for me, YYMV.

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:22 pm

I always say no - who needs the extra trash in their pocket. They haven't printed credit card numbers on receipts in a long time so even if they print it and throw it away there is no problem. Plus with zero liability in an unlikely case where something to happen it wouldn't much matter. If they rang through something incorrectly I would notice it online when looking at my statement.
I used to reconcile but since there was never a problem it was wasted time.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:42 pm

Pajamas wrote:
I always take the receipt, check it against the posted charge, and then shred and recycle it.

That not only protects me from incorrect charges and fraud, but also helps protect merchants from employee theft.
++++1
All receipts go into a bin on DW's desk. Old school paper trail. :D

tim1999

Post by tim1999 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:46 pm

DaftInvestor wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:22 pm
I always say no - who needs the extra trash in their pocket. They haven't printed credit card numbers on receipts in a long time so even if they print it and throw it away there is no problem. Plus with zero liability in an unlikely case where something to happen it wouldn't much matter. If they rang through something incorrectly I would notice it online when looking at my statement.
I used to reconcile but since there was never a problem it was wasted time.
This is exactly how I look at it.

enebyberg

Post by enebyberg » Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:00 pm

I usually take the receipt, but I have a backup. My Capital One app on my iPhone shows me every time my card is used. Time, date, amount and which store. Nobody could use my card or number without me knowing right away.

Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:00 pm

I would jot down how much you spend on your phone (Google Docs) especially at places with a tip line. I have had a couple instances of extra tips being added for carryout or at the bar. Then I just dispute the transaction. I hate carrying receipts unless it's something I might return like at the grocery store. Mint.com is great for doublechecking transactions and creditkarma for credit monitoring.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:01 pm

Yes, I always ask for one. Each purchase is logged into Google Sheets, the receipt makes it easier.

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:06 pm

mickeyd wrote:
We do this also.
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:40 pm

No receipt has a credit card number these days. You are not responsible for purchases you did not make on a credit card (generally). I don't see the point of taking the receipt unless you really have another reason to. They ask because most don't want the receipt for a non returnable item.

chabil

Post by chabil » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:02 pm

zaplunken wrote:
mickeyd wrote:
I say no for small purchases, under 10 bucks, particularly groceries, coffee. Others I take in case I need to return items. I look over carefully my statements and know if there are odd charges. If I doubt I will call the CC company and get details.

Carter3

Post by Carter3 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:19 pm

nbseer wrote:
Agreed. It's also my proof to the police (when I walk out of the store) that I didn't steal said item.

AlohaJoe

Post by AlohaJoe » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:28 pm

zaplunken wrote:
mickeyd wrote:
I get an SMS instantly from my bank whenever someone makes a credit card transaction. 99.99% of the time I get the SMS before the server even had a chance to look up from the terminal.

Doesn't every modern bank work this way?

(I also have the choice of getting an email instantly and being notified in the bank's mobile app.)

Why would I need a piece of paper?

(A piece of paper that, if you want to be paranoid, has absolutely no actual relationship to what they charged your credit card and is easy to fake.)
Last edited by AlohaJoe on Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flamesabers

Post by flamesabers » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:30 pm

Carter3 wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:19 pm
nbseer wrote:
Agreed. It's also my proof to the police (when I walk out of the store) that I didn't steal said item.
Every department and grocery store I've been to have always given me a receipt without asking me first. It's usually only at gas stations and some fast food places that ask me if I want a receipt or not.

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:41 pm

No, and I try to avoid touching then when automatically printed out.

The ink on these thermal printers is a known carcinogen.

Unless there's a chance I'll be returning the item I just ask the cashier to throw away the receipt.

tomd37

Post by tomd37 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:41 pm

I live in a state where I can, under current federal tax law, deduct state and local sales tax on Schedule A in those years I choose to itemize deductions on my federal tax return. We purchased a new car in 2018 so that alone will add $2,700+ to my other state sales tax paid total. I charge virtually everything to credit cards and keep all credit card receipts for tax purposes. With online visibility to all credit charge charges I no longer compare receipts to the monthly billing but do review my data online often. I can only think of one time that my billing was off, and that was only by one cent.
Tom D.

drk

Post by drk » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:38 am

staythecourse wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:15 pm
For example, product X and product Y is purchased on 10/7/2017 for $100. On the statement sometimes they are recorded as a charge for $25 and $75 instead of a total of $100. That is a pain to reconcile and requires going back to the "order" page and doing some random math. Anyone have an answer for that one?
You're charged as things ship. If an order is split into different shipments, you'll get different charges. It may be inconvenient, but it's more correct. There is no question of being charged for an item that hasn't actually been shipped to you, and there is no reason for Amazon to deal with the headache of payment on delivery.

As for making it less inconvenient, I think that's on the banks. If their systems allowed for linking separate charges as part of the same transaction, then this would just be a question of how to present the data. In effect, we need a similar concept to covered shares.

jhfenton

Post by jhfenton » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:59 am

1. Yes, if it's a purchase of a kind that might be returned.
2. No, if it's a small purchase at a retail establishment (non-restaurant or fast-food restaurant) where there is no tipping.
3. No, if it's a small purchase at one of the places downtown near my office where I regularly eat lunch.
4. Yes, if it's a restaurant check at a place where they don't know my name and order by heart.

I no longer manually compare receipts to statements at month end. Through ApplePay and the related credit card apps, all charges immediately show up on my iPhone/Watch through a push notification, often before I have the card back in my hand (if the cashier swipes it). The only real opportunity for shenanigans is with the tip, since many restaurants authorize the credit card for the pre-tip amount. So I take those receipts if the place isn't Cheers to my Norm.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:50 am

Carter3 wrote:

Not only that, but having a receipt also allows for easy returns.

A problem that I encounter on a regular basis is at the grocery store with single items ringing up twice because of an overly-sensitive scanner. I try to watch the register display carefully but sometimes don't catch it until after paying. Having the receipt means I can check more carefully before leaving the store or even at home if I bought a lot of groceries. It is easy to get a refund the next time I go to the store since I have the receipt.

amd2135

Post by amd2135 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:55 am

Always, for any purchase of any price. I need it to log purchases against the appropriate budget item. That results in much less confusion when I reconcile against the budget every other week or so.

If no receipt is available I'll take a picture of the price or enter a note in my so-called "phone".

msk

Post by msk » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:11 am

AlohaJoe wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:28 pm
zaplunken wrote:
mickeyd wrote:
I get an SMS instantly from my bank whenever someone makes a credit card transaction. 99.99% of the time I get the SMS before the server even had a chance to look up from the terminal.

Doesn't every modern bank work this way?
+1
I get both an sms and an email. Works world wide. Perhaps it's just a matter of asking one's bank to activate this free service?

staythecourse

Post by staythecourse » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:53 am

drk wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:38 am
staythecourse wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:15 pm
For example, product X and product Y is purchased on 10/7/2017 for $100. On the statement sometimes they are recorded as a charge for $25 and $75 instead of a total of $100. That is a pain to reconcile and requires going back to the "order" page and doing some random math. Anyone have an answer for that one?
You're charged as things ship. If an order is split into different shipments, you'll get different charges. It may be inconvenient, but it's more correct. There is no question of being charged for an item that hasn't actually been shipped to you, and there is no reason for Amazon to deal with the headache of payment on delivery.

As for making it less inconvenient, I think that's on the banks. If their systems allowed for linking separate charges as part of the same transaction, then this would just be a question of how to present the data. In effect, we need a similar concept to covered shares.
Does that mean if there is a charge it is always accurate and can not be fraud? I found a charge that did not match any of my Amazon purchases which is why I now check my statement every month.

Good luck.
"The stock market [fluctuation], therefore, is noise. A giant distraction from the business of investing.” | -Jack Bogle

cutehumor

Post by cutehumor » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:54 am

Is this about saving paper and ink costs? Kinda how cc companies want to do online statement. They save ink, paper, and mailing costs for the "environment". Phoey, it's about saving dollars

Downtown

Post by Downtown » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:54 am

In recent years, I decided not to get receipts for anything under $50. It just wasn't worth the trouble and over the years I've never caught an error. That said, I track my electronic transactions closely, so I would notice if something was amiss.

I'd be curious if anyone has seen something like this: receive a receipt for say a $50 CC transaction that later posts for $500? I suppose it might happen once in a rare while.

KlingKlang

Post by KlingKlang » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:07 am

There is no such thing as a "small purchase".

I get a receipt for everything paid for by cash or credit card. Then I write the details in a notebook and enter the amounts into my 32 year old double entry accounting software. This works well at discouraging me from making impulse purchases as it takes me more time to process them than to enjoy the purchase.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:08 am

investorpeter wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:22 pm
Even if I do not keep it, I always ask for a receipt. Seems to me that a cashier "error" or fraud is more likely if no receipt is given.

MulesFan

Post by MulesFan » Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:16 pm

unclescrooge wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:41 pm
No, and I try to avoid touching then when automatically printed out.

The ink on these thermal printers is a known carcinogen.

Unless there's a chance I'll be returning the item I just ask the cashier to throw away the receipt.
Our library recently changed to a system that enables us to print receipts on thermal paper. I was shocked when my staff raised a concern about handling the paper. After investigation I learned that a lot of thermal paper has PCBs, which can easily be absorbed through the skin. Alternative non-PCB paper is available (which we now use).

Thermal paper with PCBs should not be recycled (another thing I learned while researching).

Nova1967

Post by Nova1967 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:04 pm

I wouldn't keep a $2 receipt from Starbucks but would keep a receipt for a major purchase like a refrigerator or for something I might need to return

Miakis

Post by Miakis » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:42 pm

I take my meals receipts only if it's a business expense. If it is, I document the business purpose on the receipt and put it in my big manila envelope of business meals.

I do not spend time checking any receipts against my credit card statements.

If something seemed out of line during routine scans of my CC statements, I would dispute the charge. I don't need a receipt to do that.

Kalo

Post by Kalo » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:42 pm

Here is my vent. I use my receipts to record the transaction in my MS Money program. I'm surprised at how often I'm not given the receipt unless I ask, and even more so by the response, "it will be in the bag.". Problem is, it may not be, so I won't wait until I get home to find out. Instead I hold up the line while I fish out the receipt. Seems idiotic. The receipt prints either way, so my not taking it won't save paper. And they just stand around waiting for the food, sometimes with my receipt in their hand. Then they put it in the bag and give me the bag. I don't blame the employees but I do blame their managers. It's perplexing to me.

I guess I don't have a master's degree in restaurant management. If I did I would probably understand.

Kalo
"When people say they have a high risk tolerance, what they really mean is that they are willing to make a lot of money." -- Ben Stein/Phil DeMuth - The Little Book of Bullet Proof Investing.

OnTrack

Post by OnTrack » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:51 pm

Carter3 wrote:
nbseer wrote:
^^^^^^
This, with regard to proof that item is paid for.