Roof shingles do not match - Neighbor sent notice

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
kamikazekid

Roof shingles do not match - Neighbor sent notice

Post by kamikazekid » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:02 pm

Dear Bogleheads,

A few weeks ago a general contractor replaced some of the roof shingles and our starlight window. The new shingles (about 20) placed near the star light do not match the original color of the roof. The contractor said that he got the closest possible shingle color and that the companies that make these change colors every few years and its very very hard to find an exact match. He also said that my roof is 15 years old and therefore the older shingles have been faded due to light and snow and that is another reason why the brand new ones will never match the existing ones.
We explained our position to our neighbor with whom we share the roof.

My neighbor wasn't too happy about this and sent me a legal letter. The letter states that we should restore the roof to the color of the original shingles to avoid legal/ financial complications. It appears to be a vague sort of a threat but doesnt mention what specific law I have broken.

Have I broken any law? What are my options in this case? Please suggest some advice. I am an immigrant in a white collar job and have never ever been involved with this kind of stuff. I live in Mass.

Rupert

Re: Roof shingles do not match - Neighbor sent notice

Post by Rupert » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:10 pm

Have you told him what your contractor said about not being able to find exactly matching shingles? I would ask the contractor to write a letter to that effect and then submit that to the neighbor.

Have you broken a law? No. There may be something in your neighborhood association regulations about the materials you can use during renovations and repairs and/or about consulting a neighbor with whom you share a roof, etc., or the association before undertaking renovations or repairs. So read those carefully if they exist.

nedsaid

Post by nedsaid » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:12 pm

My first thought when I saw the headline was that you live in a Home Owners' Association. But as I read your post, my suspicion seemed incorrect.

My guess is that you are not in violation of any law, just a difficult neighbor. I saw too that you share a roof, you must live in a duplex or townhouse. Hard to say if there really is a legal issue, you might have to consult an attorney. If it happens that you live in an HOA, I would talk to your HOA Board at their next meeting.
A fool and his money are good for business.

kamikazekid

Post by kamikazekid » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:18 pm

Yes, the contractor said he would write a letter to that effect. He is an experienced home builder that know what he is doing. We do not have a HOA. We do live in a duplex.

I have been nothing but good to my neighbor. For example - I mow the common part of the lawn since she doesn't have a lawnmower and is a single lady. I have been doing this for last 7 years. A few years ago, we did get into argument over splitting the cost of cleaning the fall leaves. I dont mind mowing lawn, but I cant do the fall leaves on my own. I requested her to split the cost - she said no - I eventually insisted on it and got my way. I suspect she has been rather cranky since that incident a few years ago.

Not sure what's prompted the latest round of irritation from my side to her. Its a hassle and waste of time for me.

nedsaid

Post by nedsaid » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:23 pm

Was the letter from an attorney?

Sounds to me like you have a cranky neighbor as this isn't your first issue with her.

Curlyq

Post by Curlyq » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:28 pm

Not sure this would work, but when I replaced some cement roof tiles on a house, the new tiles did not match. I brought an old tile into a paint store and got matching paint to paint the new tiles. They matched and look good for several years until I sold the house.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:46 pm

Your neighbor may have a brain tumor, but medical advice is off limits for this forum.
This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

btenny

Post by btenny » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:49 pm

I had a similar problem back when we had a tree fall on my roof. We had to replace some tiles with ones that did not match. My contractor went to the store and bought 2-3 colors of caned spray paint. He tried them and picked the one that matched our old tiles. Then he painted 4-5 new tiles to match and used those to repair my roof. It is now 7 years or so later and I cannot find the painted tiles. Everything blends perfectly.

So I suggest you talk to your contractor about this fix. It will make your home look a lot better. And I agree your neighbor has no legal reason for anything but to keep peace it might be best to try the paint thing.

Good luck.

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:55 pm

I don't have an HOA either but still have covenants and have received similar communications. Enforcement without an HOA would be problematic, but she's probably right - ours specify allowed brands and colors of shingles from the 1980s! Ugh. But my house isn't attached to anyone. What is the process to replace your entire roof in your situation, when one homeowner wants to or has to but can't match the color?

SimonJester

Post by SimonJester » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:16 pm

Wow since restoring the roof to the original shingle color is not an option I would get a quote to replace the entire roof break down the cost for both halves of the roof. Present this to the neighbor as what it will cost to make the entire roof uniform again. Insurance will not cover this so it would be out of pocket for both. You might even be able to get your builder to highball an estimate real quick along with the statement he is going to provide.
I suspect she will back down after see how much it will cost her.

Of course you are not going to replace the roof, just use this to show how much both parties will loose. Unless there is a HOA or other covenants in place I doubt she has ANY legal standing to dictate what color shingles you put on your side of the duplex.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

tainted-meat

Post by tainted-meat » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:34 pm

Ignoring an unreasonable request is always an option.

Not every request or demand deserves a response.

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:49 pm

SimonJester wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:16 pm
Wow since restoring the roof to the original shingle color is not an option I would get a quote to replace the entire roof break down the cost for both halves of the roof. Present this to the neighbor as what it will cost to make the entire roof uniform again. Insurance will not cover this so it would be out of pocket for both. You might even be able to get your builder to highball an estimate real quick along with the statement he is going to provide.

Of course you are not going to replace the roof, just use this to show how much both parties will loose. Unless there is a HOA or other covenants in place I doubt she has ANY legal standing to dictate what color shingles you put on your side of the duplex.
But that's my question - there has to be a provision for when homeowners don't agree on the roof.

kamikazekid

Post by kamikazekid » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:59 pm

nedsaid wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:23 pm

Sounds to me like you have a cranky neighbor as this isn't your first issue with her.
Yes, it was from an attorney. Quick Google research suggests that they are a general practice law firm. Her father is associated with the real estatte business here in Mass and I suspected she is using his contacts to pressurize me.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:02 pm

tibbitts wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:49 pm
SimonJester wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:16 pm

But that's my question - there has to be a provision for when homeowners don't agree on the roof.
This, whether there is such a restriction, would depend upon how the properties are owned.

At least where we live, there can be attached homes that share a roofline (sometimes many in a row), and there are no restrictions on the roof or any trim. It can indeed look a bit odd when the trim just below the roof changes dramatically and abruptly in style and color from one attached house to another. There are no "rules" in this case.
In other cases, such as attached townhouses that are owned as condos, the roof is not owned by the owner of the condo under it, but the entire roof is owned by the association. There are very strict rules in this case!

It sounds like OP might have something sort of in between, or perhaps it's like the first case, where there are no rules at all, depending upon whether there is a Home Owners' Association of some sort or not.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:11 pm

I would ignore the letter and the neighbor.

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:15 pm

whodidntante wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:11 pm
+1

You have already wasted more time on this than it deserves.

mouses

Post by mouses » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:17 pm

OP, it sounds like you actually fixed something that she might have been obligated to partly pay for.

However, what I would do now is what has been suggested higher up in the thread, see if the shingles can be painted. I would also explain to the neighbor why they are a different color and how you are trying to fix that. If you can fix the color problem, it will benefit you as well.

She doesn't sound like a pleasant person, but it's always a good thing to keep on good terms with a neighbor, even if it means tolerating their less than wonderful behavior.

kamikazekid

Post by kamikazekid » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:18 pm

whodidntante wrote:
But would that leave me at the mercy of the next steps that the lawyers could take? I mean what's the worst case I am looking at here. ? Is it Ok to ignore a letter sent by a law firm ? I am so naive in this area, I dont even know where to begin. APpreciate all the advice received so far.

staythecourse

Post by staythecourse » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:22 pm

munemaker wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:15 pm
whodidntante wrote:
+1

You have already wasted more time on this than it deserves.
Normally, my answer would be this, but not when dealing with a neighbor of ANY sort especially in a duplex situation. Your lives will ultimately tangle and it behooves BOTH of you to get along. There is NOTHING worse in life then having a BAD relationship with the neighbor. I would go over and just talk with them and tell the the situation and let them know your contractor who is LICENSED wrote a letter verifying why a perfect replacement could not be done. This is NOT because you have to legally, but just ignoring something that some neighbor finds important is setting yourself up for confrontation on some issue down the road.

If I have learned one thing in life is that the ONE thing that can not be remodeled in life is a bad relationship with a neighbor. I make sure I always get along with our neighbors not because I want to be friends, but inevitably a situation will arise you need their help.

Good luck.

p.s. If they are not satisfied with your explanation then it is up to them to continue to legal proceedings, i.e. let them pay an attorney to get the answer they have no legal basis.
"The stock market [fluctuation], therefore, is noise. A giant distraction from the business of investing.” | -Jack Bogle

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:26 pm

kamikazekid wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:18 pm
whodidntante wrote:
But would that leave me at the mercy of the next steps that the lawyers could take? I mean what's the worst case I am looking at here. ? Is it Ok to ignore a letter sent by a law firm ? I am so naive in this area, I dont even know where to begin. APpreciate all the advice received so far.
What is the type of ownership?

Are these attached homes "condos"? If not, is there a HomeOwner's Association of some sort?
Or are the homes each totally separate legally, even if not physically.

This should all be specified, at least in general, in the documentation you have from the closing.
Given that you are dealing with a "nasty neighbor situation", which can become increasingly unpleasant/contentious, if you are not *sure* about your legal obligations, perhaps a quick consult with a real estate attorney would be warranted.
And if you do contact one, then she/he can also respond on your behalf, regardless of the future level of involvement. Be sure to point out to attorney about her use of an attorney from the start plus her "family" link to local "real estate", which might make her more inclined to continue to be aggressive (as it sounds thus far).

"Neighbor situations" can become really unpleasant, and affect everyday life, unfortunately. So first, understand your legal obligations. Then, figure out how you want to try to interact with Nasty Neighbor :annoyed

Good luck.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:38 pm

Lawyer up. It is the American way. Skip the polite conversations, just lawyer up. :shock:
Kidding. :shock:

Seriously and actionably.
Do not ignore the letter.
You can confer with a lawyer. First consultation is no charge.
Take the letter from the contractor about the impracticality of color matching old to new tile, even if the same brand and color.
Have the lawyer draft a response letter. Review that letter. Have it sent "from the lawyer direct to your neighbor".
It should cost no more than a few hundred dollars.

Your neighbor has chosen to be the bully and the aggressor. Thus, you have no obligation to be neighborly at this point.

If you try to talk, take over a cake or pie, smooth relations as some non-American cultures might do without limit, you may just be further taken advantage of and not taken seriously. Furthermore, as an immigrant, your personal boundaries have already been established "by your neighbor" and not you. I am stating this to bring in the additional difficulties that cultural divides can sometimes bring to effective communication since you brought up that topic. You should consider this aspect also. As per forum guidelines I shall go no further that that helpful advice.

The larger issue here is human relations. Obviously the roofing tiles are an inconsequential thing if relations between neighbors were pleasant and understanding. Consider that your neighbor is using this roofing issue to remove you from the premises. If this is true, then the roofing tile issue is just the beginning. There will be other issues in the future.

Strongly suggest also looking for another place to live if you are renting. This is not going to go away. A bully is a bully. This is not going to go away. Yes, everyone in a multi unit housing, duplex, etc, has a legal right "to quiet enjoyment" of the premises. But not everyone feels that way.
Last edited by Sandtrap on Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:19 pm, edited 4 times in total.

nedsaid

Post by nedsaid » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:08 pm

kamikazekid wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:59 pm
nedsaid wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:23 pm

Yes, it was from an attorney. Quick Google research suggests that they are a general practice law firm. Her father is associated with the real estatte business here in Mass and I suspected she is using his contacts to pressurize me.
Keep in mind lawyer letters are often shots across the bow. I am on the Board of a Home Owner's Association and we will have our lawyer send a letter in hopes that it will cause a problem homeowner to back down and cease bothersome behavior. A letter doesn't mean the law is behind them, it can be a good scare tactic. In the case of our HOA, each time we have sent the letter we had the law behind us and the attorney would cite the law. In your case, it might be a scare tactic.

What I would do is consider the paint option and see if you can get the shingles to match. Second, I would consult with an attorney and find out what the law really is. I would also do research on the attorney who wrote the letter, hopefully he/she is not a nasty lawyer. Nasty attorneys can cause a lot of trouble because they know it takes time and money to contest them even if the law isn't on their side.

I don't think you can just ignore the letter.

mrc

Post by mrc » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:13 pm

What is the supposed damage here, and what is the proposed remedy? You cannot exactly match 15 year-old shingles for color. Any letter should have come before: when the shingles needed replacing!

Do you each own half of this building?

Why does neighbor care about shingle colors?

Are there any problems (rotten trim, peeling pain, cracked windows) on the other side?

This is crazy.
A great challenge of life: Knowing enough to think you're doing it right, but not enough to know you're doing it wrong. — Neil deGrasse Tyson

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:14 pm

Did the letter refer to any law, regulation, city code, contract, deed, home owner's association rule, etc. that would require you to do what is being asked? Are you aware of anything? An exact match is basically impossible, and the contractor did as well as is possible. Forcing you to replace the entire roof for a color match when making repairs is very extreme and seems unreasonable, even for a home owner's association.

If there is no basis for the request, I would ignore it, and I would also stop mowing her lawn.
Last edited by Pajamas on Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:15 pm

Regardless of the outcome I'd say it's time to let her get a new lawn guy.

Post by 123 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:16 pm

If your neighbor with whom you share the roof does not like the replacement shingle color you should tell him/her that your contractor did the best that he could but if the neighbor would prefer to have the entire shared roof re-shingled at his expense so that it will all match that is okay with you.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

Gill

Post by Gill » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:48 pm

I don't believe you've explained yet how you own this property. You said it is a duplex but is there separate ownership of the attached buildings? Who owns the roof that was repaired?
Gill

BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:11 pm

tibbitts wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:55 pm
I don't have an HOA either but still have covenants...
I'm unclear about how you can have "covenants" without a legal body (HOA) to enforce them.
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect

tim1999

Post by tim1999 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:42 pm

Where I live there are a lot of older twin homes and rowhouses with no HOA and no other rules governing them. It is quite common to see on a duplex two roofs of completely different colors. Unless both units are owned by the same person, the roofs on both are rarely replaced at the same time, and people seem to choose whatever roof color they want regardless of what the neighbor has. If you don't like your neighbor's roof color, you have no realistic legal recourse.

I can only guess that the OP's unit is subject to some kind of deed restrictions regarding the roof color and who knows what else.

I once looked at a house for sale around here that did not have a HOA, but the deeds of all the lots/houses in the subdivision prohibited detached garages from being built. Since there is no HOA to enforce rules, and the municipality does not get involved in these types of things, if your neighbor builds a garage and you don't like it you pretty much would have to sue them to enforce the deed restriction. Though I'd guess you'd also have to prove that its existence is somehow detrimental to you at the same time.

Watty

Post by Watty » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:06 pm

It would have been much better if the neighbor has just come over and talked to you instead of going through a lawyer.

I would just write a polite letter back asking for the details of the law they were refering so so that if you check with your contractor to see what can be done to comply with the law correctly.

If they respond then you can figure out what once you have more additional information.

Given that the letter did not cite which law they were talking about I suspect that they were bluffing.

As another poster suggested you can look into painting at least part of the roof if that is possible.

Nate79

Post by Nate79 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:41 pm

What does your contract say?

littlebird

Post by littlebird » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:54 pm

BolderBoy wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:11 pm
tibbitts wrote:
I'm unclear about how you can have "covenants" without a legal body (HOA) to enforce them.
Whoever the covenants are intended to benefit can sue to enforce them. It should be clear from the deed who those parties are. There used to be deed covenants against selling to people of certain races and religions. I once had a deed covenant against practicing a profession in the home. Any other homeowner could claim to be aggrieved by a violation of the covenant and sue. Both were declared invalid, the former everywhere in the U.S., the latter at least in the state I lived in.

HurdyGurdy

Post by HurdyGurdy » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:04 pm

kamikazekid wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:18 pm
I have been nothing but good to my neighbor. For example - I mow the common part of the lawn since she doesn't have a lawnmower and is a single lady. I have been doing this for last 7 years. A few years ago, we did get into argument over splitting the cost of cleaning the fall leaves. I dont mind mowing lawn, but I cant do the fall leaves on my own. I requested her to split the cost - she said no - I eventually insisted on it and got my way. I suspect she has been rather cranky since that incident a few years ago.
:oops:

Did you consider to mow over the leaves? That is actually very good for the soil, no need to pay to rake and take them away. I'd be cranky myself to have to pay for something that is not needed and wasteful.

http://turf.umn.edu/news/good-question- ... ose-leaves
Mulch the leaves with a mower (i.e. chop them into small pieces so they will fall into the canopy). This is my preferred option because the nutrients and organic matter will benefit the lawn and soil. Some leaf types have been shown to reduce weed seed germination when mulched into a lawn canopy (maples, others). The leaves of some particular tree species (legumes like honey locust, others) might actually add a significant amount of nitrogen to lawns because these species fix nitrogen from the atmosphere just like soybeans, so higher leaf nitrogen contents in these leaves is possible. Additional resources for these two concepts are here:

Successfully mulching leaves into a lawn canopy requires more frequent mowing in the fall and possibly several passes with the mower to mulch the leaves sufficiently. Specialized mulching mowers can also be purchased, and these mower types will also be beneficial year-round to mulch grass leaves into the canopy. Chopping leaves into small pieces is important.

Cheyenne

Post by Cheyenne » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:57 am

As another poster suggested you can look into painting at least part of the roof if that is possible.
Rather than that I think I would lean towards getting some chickens for the yard and offering her free eggs.

oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:44 am

I would first go back over the papers you signed when you bought in. Make sure of exactly what your obligations are.

That being said, I don’t think you broke any laws.
Anybody know why there's a 20-pound frozen turkey up in the light grid?

WhyNotUs

Post by WhyNotUs » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:35 am

If the painting shingles seems like a reasonable exercise I would try it if nothing else as a sign of good faith.

Given the lack of citation in the letter and your lack of info it is hard to assess your liability. It does not seem like you believe that you are in an HOA.

Did you save your closing documents from purchase? If so, look for a "party wall agreement" or other similar agreement that has been recorded and was established to run with the land. If no such document exists, then I would ask the person to provide me with documentation. Depending on where you are n the US, the documents can be called different names. but they typically deal with or exclude such issues.

A great chance to better understand your property.
I own the next hot stock- VTSAX

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:00 am

And are these standard asphalt shingles? Because if so, painting them would be very unusual. You should be cautious about painting the shingles because if there is some restriction that requires them to be exactly the same color, the same restriction may dictate the color and the use of unusual finishes like paint.

Something I'm not clear on is if your neighbor's roof and your roof match or if she is just upset that the shingles on your side only don't match.

Regardless, the key to a solution is finding out if there is some regulation of your roof or if your neighbor is just being obnoxious without any external justification.
Last edited by Pajamas on Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

Katietsu

Post by Katietsu » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:01 am

My first step would be to respond to the neighbor in writing and to include the documentation from the contractor. Personally, I would even agree to replace the new shingles if the neighbor can identify acceptable shingles.

I had about 20 shingles replaced on a 15 year old roof. The roof seemed to me to be a totally boring mainstream color. I thought the first contractor was being lazy or incompetent when they showed me that a certain color was the best match they could make. Turned out to be true. It has bothered me every time I see the mismatched tiles for 5 years now even though it is a pretty close match. Fortunately, it is on a part of the roof that I rarely see. Otherwise, I would have looked into better solutions. Just saying I empathize with the frustration the neighbor feels even if jumping to a lawyer letter so quickly seems unnecessary.

cutehumor

Post by cutehumor » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:20 am

Op,

I wonder if the old lady thinks she can get a complete new roof out of you, since you share the roof. She gets you to mow her side if the lawn and do leaf cleanup every fall. It's worth a shot.

likegarden

Post by likegarden » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:17 pm

Your 15 year old roof might need to be cleaned anyway. Mine had algae and moss growing on it. There are roof cleaning companies, read up on that. How would that agitate your neighbor with you cleaning your part of the roof only as part of required maintenance?

In case you decide to paint the 20 new shingles, note that the color selected at the paint store under store lights might not show to be the same as that of the old shingles under sun light. You might have to go back to the store.

Barefoot

Post by Barefoot » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:08 pm

I did the paint the shingles thing once. I bought several close shades and picked the best one. Inspector never said a word about it when we sold the house a few years later.

hille141

Post by hille141 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:06 pm

I have had to replace a few shingles over the years that were torn off in high winds. When they built the house they put an extra couple bundles of shingles in the attic. Even though I used EXACTLY the same shingles that were put up originally, they still don't match. Shingles fad in the sun over time and lose some of the colored rocks.

My mismatched shingles bug me every time I look at them. Really nothing I can do though. Others brought up painting them. I have no experience with that and don't know how it would hold up.

Insurance companies often limit the amount they will pay to replace mismatched shingles and siding. It's a common problem but something you really can't do anything about.

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:13 pm

littlebird wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:54 pm
BolderBoy wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:11 pm
tibbitts wrote:
Whoever the covenants are intended to benefit can sue to enforce them. It should be clear from the deed who those parties are. There used to be deed covenants against selling to people of certain races and religions. I once had a deed covenant against practicing a profession in the home. Any other homeowner could claim to be aggrieved by a violation of the covenant and sue. Both were declared invalid, the former everywhere in the U.S., the latter at least in the state I lived in.
There might have been intended to be an HOA when the neighborhood was new, but by the time I moved in (10 yrs later) there was none. But the covenants are registered with the city. There are all kinds of restrictions - what you can park in your driveway, color/models of shingles, etc. Since there is no body to enforce them, it would be up to an individual, and at least the city has said they are enforceable.

staythecourse

Post by staythecourse » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:00 pm

nedsaid wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:08 pm
Nasty attorneys can cause a lot of trouble because they know it takes time and money to contest them even if the law isn't on their side.
My experience with lawyers are they are not good if they are NOT nasty. The real issue with lawyers are they doing what is right by their clients or just trying to go to litigation with every case despite knowing they don't have a good case. Litigation= MONEY. Simple as that. A good one will remind their client if they don't have a good case not to proceed as it is a waste of client's dollars and a bad one will have no problem going to litigation knowing they will get paid MORE win or lose.

Good luck.
"The stock market [fluctuation], therefore, is noise. A giant distraction from the business of investing.” | -Jack Bogle

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:30 pm

This thread has run its course and is locked (legal advice). See: Acceptable Topics and Subforum Guidelines
This is an investing and personal finance forum. We also maintain a subforum that allow our members to discuss consumer goods and services and recreational activities. Anything else is considered "Off Topic" and is not acceptable on this forum.
Also see the disclaimer at the bottom of every forum page:
No guarantees are made as to the accuracy of the information on this site or the appropriateness of any advice to your particular situation.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.