Costco kitchen Cabinets and design service....

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Broken Man 1999

Costco kitchen Cabinets and design service....

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:04 pm

We are starting the process of doing a bit of remodeling of our home, largest portion is kitchen.

I have noticed that Costco has a design group and sells a line of real wood cabinets, not particle board that seems to be in certain lines.

Given our satisfaction thus far with Costco's products, including their private label goods, I think there might be some value to at least give them a shot.

I'm wondering if anyone has had any experiences with using Costco for remodeling?

In the past we used a kitchen and bath company, and they did an OK job, but I think it was overpriced.

We have remodeled two bathrooms, using a big box for the cabinets/vanities, but using an installer who has done much work for us thru the years. We were very satisfied as we purchased high quality products and the and the installation was great, as we knew it would be using a familiar tradesman.

Any experiences that anyone is will to share concerning such activities?

I'm mainly interested in the quality of the cabinets, but would be interested in the quality of installation if used as well.

I would think (hope) Costco would have very vetted installers if their installers were used.

Thanks in advance!

Broken Man 1999 (soon to be Broke Man 1999 :( )
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

millewk

Re: Costco kitchen Cabinets and design service....

Post by millewk » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:57 pm

As a serious woodworker who has done many custom cabinet jobs I always tell people that 50% of a cabinet's quality is in the hinges and drawer slides. If the hardware is Grasse, Blum, or Havle and the cabinet boxes are 3/4" you are off to a good start. I noticed you made a "particle board" comment and I agree with you in most cases. I have never looked at Costco cabinets so I can't judge them, however several years ago I stumbled across Ikea cabinets and after a through look I was impressed. All Hardware is Blum under mount ball bearing slides and hinges which are all soft close Yes, the carcasses are MDF however it is thermo fused Formica type interior which is bullet proof. Take a look.

curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:54 am

We have been looking at the cabinets ordered through Costco, and will probably go with them. Ikea and the big box stores were other options we considered. In our case, it's not a full kitchen, but an area of supplemental cabinets. A few thoughts:

1) I strongly prefer "no particle board" for my cabinets, but I'm not an absolutist. The big box stores semi-custom cabinets often default to PB, but offer an option for plywood construction (about 25% more).

2) If you want custom sizes ("reduced depth", or "increased depth"), there may be limitations on some features.

3) For the most part, the Costco cabinets offered a range of reduced depths, but not quite as many variations in drawers etc.

4) The Ikea cabinets had only two depths available (15" and std 24"). I know folks who have been quite happy with Ikea cabinets (for the price), but see point 1.

5) In my HCOL area, Home Depot seemed to have almost given up on selling their semi-custom cabinet lines; reduced display space, and no staffing of anyone who can actually help with orders.

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:31 pm

millewk wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:57 pm
As a serious woodworker who has done many custom cabinet jobs I always tell people that 50% of a cabinet's quality is in the hinges and drawer slides. If the hardware is Grasse, Blum, or Havle and the cabinet boxes are 3/4" you are off to a good start. I noticed you made a "particle board" comment and I agree with you in most cases. I have never looked at Costco cabinets so I can't judge them, however several years ago I stumbled across Ikea cabinets and after a through look I was impressed. All Hardware is Blum under mount ball bearing slides and hinges which are all soft close Yes, the carcasses are MDF however it is thermo fused Formica type interior which is bullet proof. Take a look.
My best friend recently remodeled his kitchen, and used Ikea. Although I didn't examine them closely, they were very attractive to my eyes. I think some people, including my wife, unfortunately, who dismiss Ikea too quickly. Some believe they only sell the knock together cheap stuff for newlyweds on a tight budget, or poor college students. I know that isn't the case, but some folks can't be convinced when presented with facts that show their knowledge to be incorrect. Frankly, it would take a lot of effort to convince my wife to consider Ikea. I think I'll save my powder for other battles I will surely face. The cabinet selection will be just one skirmish in a long battle campaign, I'm afraid. Though, I will go with her to Ikea under the pretense of looking at various kitchen designs. She has been known to occasionally change her mind...... :happy
curmudgeon wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:54 am
We have been looking at the cabinets ordered through Costco, and will probably go with them. Ikea and the big box stores were other options we considered. In our case, it's not a full kitchen, but an area of supplemental cabinets. A few thoughts:

1) I strongly prefer "no particle board" for my cabinets, but I'm not an absolutist. The big box stores semi-custom cabinets often default to PB, but offer an option for plywood construction (about 25% more).

2) If you want custom sizes ("reduced depth", or "increased depth"), there may be limitations on some features.

3) For the most part, the Costco cabinets offered a range of reduced depths, but not quite as many variations in drawers etc.

4) The Ikea cabinets had only two depths available (15" and std 24"). I know folks who have been quite happy with Ikea cabinets (for the price), but see point 1.

5) In my HCOL area, Home Depot seemed to have almost given up on selling their semi-custom cabinet lines; reduced display space, and no staffing of anyone who can actually help with orders.
Are you considering having Costco (their subcontractors) do the installation work as well?

I would appreciate any feedback you are willing to provide once you have your cabinets in hand.

I have yet to be disappointed with any dealings I have had with Costco over the years I have been a member, and I would hope these type activities would be completed with their normal attention.

Thanks to both of you who responded, I appreciate your time and comments.

:sharebeer

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:37 pm

If you don't like the look of Ikea cabinets, you can have semi-custom fronts made for them and still come out way ahead of anything comparable. As millewk said above, the hinges and cabinets are good quality and an excellent value. I can't recommend a particular company:

https://www.google.com/search?q=buy+cus ... inet+doors

curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:46 pm

So I have received the Costco cabinets (from "All-Wood Cabinets"). I have mixed feelings about them. They aren't bad, but the construction quality doesn't impress either. We'll see how it looks when everything is installed and adjusted. If I were doing it again, I might choose to go with Ikea (but these are cabinets that will have no water exposure, so I'm less worried about particle board construction). Some thoughts:

1) manufacturer was fairly easy to deal with (they are in Florida). Responsive to questions but not pushy.
2) shipment was packed well, though delivery was annoying because of mistakes at local UPS Freight center.
3) finish was generally good, though there were a few places that needed cleaning/polishing.
4) We were able to get custom depths to the cabinets (about 25% surcharge)

5) drawers have about 4" of dead space at the back. Wouldn't have been a big deal with 24" depth, but we lost more space than we expected with our shallower cabinets.
6) Many of the drawers were not adjusted correctly on arrival. Maybe the result of traveling cross-country in the freight trucks, but a nuisance.
7) A few aspects of the construction seem a little lightweight; the bookshelf corner unit in particular.

I think they will look fine when they are installed and have a countertop.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:11 am

I can't remember if it was this forum or another I frequent but someone earlier this year bought cabinets from Costco and had them installed. However the ceiling/walls weren't level or plumb and they ended up having large ugly gaps showing. After investigating it further, they found out they should have signed up for the "design" service for more money which sends someone out and measures the ceilings/walls/floor for plumb and level as well as dimensions. Since they didn't, the installers just made them level and the gap became the owners responsibility. I would read the fine print.

health teacher

Post by health teacher » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:25 am

millewk wrote:
I have never looked at Costco cabinets so I can't judge them, however several years ago I stumbled across Ikea cabinets and after a through look I was impressed. All Hardware is Blum under mount ball bearing slides and hinges which are all soft close Yes, the carcasses are MDF however it is thermo fused Formica type interior which is bullet proof. Take a look.
We redid our kitchen 6 years ago. We went with IKEA. Solid oak doors, birch particle board cabinets. Cabinets came with 25 year warranty. I put all cabinets together with a screwdriver. We don't regret the cabinets at all. We did have them do the counter as well, but we would have received a better deal if we went straight to the source.

As for Costco, they have a strong reputation so while it may not be the best price, it'll probably be good quality. You probably already know that though.

As previous poster noted, very good chance your kitchen walls aren't perfect (ours weren't) and you'll need some customization. We ended up using kick board as "filler" pieces on the end and it looks great. You'd never know the walls weren't plumb.

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:21 am

millewk wrote:
As I may do a kitchen soon I have a question about this. Is an MDF carcass (I assume this refers to the sides and back) intrinsically superior to plywood?

In the past I had a kitchen done with Woodmode that did seem to be MDF but which I found highly satisfactory.

beachteen

Post by beachteen » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:32 pm

MDF is more stable and less likely to warp, but it is not as resistant to moisture and it is very heavy. MDF can be stripped more easily with screws if you are not careful. Plywood is usually more expensive and can require more prep work to paint.

millewk

Post by millewk » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:27 pm

adamthesmythe wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:21 am
millewk wrote:
As I may do a kitchen soon I have a question about this. Is an MDF carcass (I assume this refers to the sides and back) intrinsically superior to plywood?

In the past I had a kitchen done with Woodmode that did seem to be MDF but which I found highly satisfactory.
As far as Ikea cabinets go , yes their carcasses are MDF, however they are very stable and the laminate interiors are absolutely bullet proof. My cabinets went in in 2003 and the interiors/exteriors are as still good as knew. The other advantage is the drawers. They have a powder coated drawer box with a 3/4 inch bottom and integral bottom mounted ball bearing soft close blum drawer slides. Also, my cabinets on each side of my dishwasher have not been effected by the moisture. The best feature is the track system for mounting the uppers and the adjustable legs which make leveling a snap. Installation can easily be done by one person.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:43 pm

adamthesmythe wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:21 am

Woodmode offers a very high quality product. No issue whatsoever with getting MDF cabinets through them. We have their product in our current kitchen and it is great. We have Blum hardware and a modern slab front design that we love and is unique to our home. Everyone who walks into our kitchen drops their jaw and says "wow". High end imported European cabinets are almost all MDF.

At a lower price point Ikea is very popular.

MDF is not intrinsically inferior. There are different grades of MDF, different ways to finish it, and different ways of assembling it. Sometimes MDF is used as a cost cutting measure along with low quality hardware.

Woodshark

Post by Woodshark » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:09 am

You have more options for cabinets than just the big box stores. There are specialty online cabinet suppliers that offer very nice pre-finished cabinets in stock sizes. Many offer design services also, often free. We recently finished our basement and installed a bar/kitchen area as part of the process. We looked at Ikea, Home Depot and Lowes but frankly, I was not impressed with the particleboard core of the cabinets. Yes, we could upgrade to plywood but it seemed cost prohibitive for what it was.
With some research I found an online cabinet re seller that offer several lines of better cabinets (Plywood, not particleboard. Soft close hardware, etc.) at significantly lower prices than any big box store. Using email and phone calls, we worked with their designer to come up with cabinet layout that worked. For small additional cost, they even modified a couple of cabinets for us.

Once the order was placed, the cabinets arrived by truck about three weeks later. Installation is not provided so you will have to arrange that separately. (I installed ours our self). I had one problem with a drawer and a replacement was sent out immediately.

The whole process was simple. We are very happy with the results and we saved a considerable amount of money.

MindTheGAAP

Post by MindTheGAAP » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:48 am

Pajamas wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:37 pm
If you don't like the look of Ikea cabinets, you can have semi-custom fronts made for them and still come out way ahead of anything comparable. As millewk said above, the hinges and cabinets are good quality and an excellent value. I can't recommend a particular company:

https://www.google.com/search?q=buy+cus ... inet+doors
I can strongly recommend Semihandmade Custom Doors for the IKEA cabinets (https://www.semihandmadedoors.com/) I know people that have used them throughout their kitchen and bathrooms on a full gut-and-start-over remodel and they've been absolutely thrilled with them.
"One of the funny things about the stock market is that every time one person buys, another sells, and both think they are astute" - William Feather