Costco kitchen Cabinets and design service....

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Broken Man 1999

Costco kitchen Cabinets and design service....

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:04 pm

We are starting the process of doing a bit of remodeling of our home, largest portion is kitchen.

I have noticed that Costco has a design group and sells a line of real wood cabinets, not particle board that seems to be in certain lines.

Given our satisfaction thus far with Costco's products, including their private label goods, I think there might be some value to at least give them a shot.

I'm wondering if anyone has had any experiences with using Costco for remodeling?

In the past we used a kitchen and bath company, and they did an OK job, but I think it was overpriced.

We have remodeled two bathrooms, using a big box for the cabinets/vanities, but using an installer who has done much work for us thru the years. We were very satisfied as we purchased high quality products and the and the installation was great, as we knew it would be using a familiar tradesman.

Any experiences that anyone is will to share concerning such activities?

I'm mainly interested in the quality of the cabinets, but would be interested in the quality of installation if used as well.

I would think (hope) Costco would have very vetted installers if their installers were used.

Thanks in advance!

Broken Man 1999 (soon to be Broke Man 1999 :( )
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

millewk

Re: Costco kitchen Cabinets and design service....

Post by millewk » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:57 pm

As a serious woodworker who has done many custom cabinet jobs I always tell people that 50% of a cabinet's quality is in the hinges and drawer slides. If the hardware is Grasse, Blum, or Havle and the cabinet boxes are 3/4" you are off to a good start. I noticed you made a "particle board" comment and I agree with you in most cases. I have never looked at Costco cabinets so I can't judge them, however several years ago I stumbled across Ikea cabinets and after a through look I was impressed. All Hardware is Blum under mount ball bearing slides and hinges which are all soft close Yes, the carcasses are MDF however it is thermo fused Formica type interior which is bullet proof. Take a look.

curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:54 am

We have been looking at the cabinets ordered through Costco, and will probably go with them. Ikea and the big box stores were other options we considered. In our case, it's not a full kitchen, but an area of supplemental cabinets. A few thoughts:

1) I strongly prefer "no particle board" for my cabinets, but I'm not an absolutist. The big box stores semi-custom cabinets often default to PB, but offer an option for plywood construction (about 25% more).

2) If you want custom sizes ("reduced depth", or "increased depth"), there may be limitations on some features.

3) For the most part, the Costco cabinets offered a range of reduced depths, but not quite as many variations in drawers etc.

4) The Ikea cabinets had only two depths available (15" and std 24"). I know folks who have been quite happy with Ikea cabinets (for the price), but see point 1.

5) In my HCOL area, Home Depot seemed to have almost given up on selling their semi-custom cabinet lines; reduced display space, and no staffing of anyone who can actually help with orders.

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:31 pm

millewk wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:57 pm
As a serious woodworker who has done many custom cabinet jobs I always tell people that 50% of a cabinet's quality is in the hinges and drawer slides. If the hardware is Grasse, Blum, or Havle and the cabinet boxes are 3/4" you are off to a good start. I noticed you made a "particle board" comment and I agree with you in most cases. I have never looked at Costco cabinets so I can't judge them, however several years ago I stumbled across Ikea cabinets and after a through look I was impressed. All Hardware is Blum under mount ball bearing slides and hinges which are all soft close Yes, the carcasses are MDF however it is thermo fused Formica type interior which is bullet proof. Take a look.
My best friend recently remodeled his kitchen, and used Ikea. Although I didn't examine them closely, they were very attractive to my eyes. I think some people, including my wife, unfortunately, who dismiss Ikea too quickly. Some believe they only sell the knock together cheap stuff for newlyweds on a tight budget, or poor college students. I know that isn't the case, but some folks can't be convinced when presented with facts that show their knowledge to be incorrect. Frankly, it would take a lot of effort to convince my wife to consider Ikea. I think I'll save my powder for other battles I will surely face. The cabinet selection will be just one skirmish in a long battle campaign, I'm afraid. Though, I will go with her to Ikea under the pretense of looking at various kitchen designs. She has been known to occasionally change her mind...... :happy
curmudgeon wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:54 am
We have been looking at the cabinets ordered through Costco, and will probably go with them. Ikea and the big box stores were other options we considered. In our case, it's not a full kitchen, but an area of supplemental cabinets. A few thoughts:

1) I strongly prefer "no particle board" for my cabinets, but I'm not an absolutist. The big box stores semi-custom cabinets often default to PB, but offer an option for plywood construction (about 25% more).

2) If you want custom sizes ("reduced depth", or "increased depth"), there may be limitations on some features.

3) For the most part, the Costco cabinets offered a range of reduced depths, but not quite as many variations in drawers etc.

4) The Ikea cabinets had only two depths available (15" and std 24"). I know folks who have been quite happy with Ikea cabinets (for the price), but see point 1.

5) In my HCOL area, Home Depot seemed to have almost given up on selling their semi-custom cabinet lines; reduced display space, and no staffing of anyone who can actually help with orders.
Are you considering having Costco (their subcontractors) do the installation work as well?

I would appreciate any feedback you are willing to provide once you have your cabinets in hand.

I have yet to be disappointed with any dealings I have had with Costco over the years I have been a member, and I would hope these type activities would be completed with their normal attention.

Thanks to both of you who responded, I appreciate your time and comments.

:sharebeer

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:37 pm

If you don't like the look of Ikea cabinets, you can have semi-custom fronts made for them and still come out way ahead of anything comparable. As millewk said above, the hinges and cabinets are good quality and an excellent value. I can't recommend a particular company:

https://www.google.com/search?q=buy+cus ... inet+doors