Motiv Ring

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
retire14

Motiv Ring

Post by retire14 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:20 pm

I read an article on WSJ yesterday about a product called Motiv Ring-a device you wear on your finger to continuously keep track of your activities, sleep pattern and heart rate--sort of a small and more sophisticated fitbit.
Any BH has this? What do you think? Is there a better equivalent?

blueblock

Re: Motiv Ring

Post by blueblock » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:27 pm

This looks interesting, so I'm giving it a bump, in case any BHs have tried it.

Here's the website: https://mymotiv.com

And here's one review: https://www.pcmag.com/review/356274/motiv-ring

Slacker

Post by Slacker » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:43 pm

Looks great, until I go to bench press, or do pullups, or anything with a barbell, dumbbell, or handle. Any idea if this device can stand up to weightlifting abuse? I read on their website that it has a titanium shell - not sure if that is good enough.

I wouldn't put too much force on it while doing most dumbbell exercises. Pullups would be only 100lbs (1/2 of my 200lb bodyweight), but barbell would have to stand up to ~202lbs for multiple reps (half of my 5 rep max of 405lbs deadlift and I plan on getting stronger).

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:00 pm

A quick read of the website shows that they compromised performance to fit in a small package with limited contact area. Both the review (first post) and the website state this device is not as accurate as the wrist mounted products.

- The inside surface is "medical grade" plastic. That doesn't mean much to me.

Heart Rate Tracking With Motiv Ring - Motiv has most of the limitations.

- If the fit is so critical that they need to send you a sizing kit, you can't switch fingers and expect it to work as well. The contact area between the ring and finger varies constantly, especially when you flex your fingers. This is emphasized in the "Factors that can impair signal quality" section. Weightlifting is explicitly problematic.

Any exercise in which you use your hands will cause inaccurate readings, which is most exercises. Consider that you always flex your hands, even when running. The "Optimizations" section of the article flushes this out. I should change my technique so the ring works? Not a chance.

The article directs you to avoid gripping treadmill handrails or sidebars in order to provide more signal. Your hands aren't moving. OK, but telling someone to create a safety issue (fall risk) to get better signal is asking for a law suit.

The end of the article says that a ring is better than a wrist mounted product if you have a tattoo or too much hair in the way. That's quite a stretch, as you can put the wrist product on the other arm. You can't do that with a custom sized ring that's meant for one finger only.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.