OOMA home security users out there?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Chicken lady

OOMA home security users out there?

Post by Chicken lady » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:18 am

I've read through past posts about DIY home security preferences but am particularly interested in users satisfaction/opinions of the OOMA home security system vs SimpliSafe and others. We have several homes in which we would like to install a security system that is reliable and does a good job of protecting our properties. Our preferences are:

1. No monthly fee for monitoring
2. DIY installation for reasonably handy people
3. Allows for remote oversight for different homes which I recognize would likely entail separate OOMA accounts for each residence
4. Ideally we would like 24/7 camera access of our residence - something that would have to be separate from the OOMA system. I am under the impression that this may not be an issue if not having a fully integrated system with this component isn't a show stopper and a separate video/image access system is used that delivers a high quality image.
5. Remote alarm of intrusions
6. Remote control of system

I am attracted to OOMA's system because I'm already a premier OOMA user so other than the cost of the window/door, etc. devices, the service would be FREE. It also allows the user to call their 911 directly if an alarm is triggered regardless of where a person is located - very handy for traveling.

So, how about it? Any OOMA security users out there? Are you satisfied? Why or why not?

Thanks,
Linda

DelcoEE

Re: OOMA home security users out there?

Post by DelcoEE » Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:38 am

I am a premier user also and I think I will be getting the startup bundle. I like the remote 911 calling feature. The only problem I see is that not everyone can monitor their cell phone 24/7 for beak ins.

It would be nice if OOMA added a feature/option that allows a 911 call whenever a break in is sensed.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:59 am

If OOMA uses wifi, your network setup needs to be fortified with backup power. If OOMA uses cell, make sure cell service is available throughout your home and or where the equipment resides.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:08 pm

I have been using OOMA for several years and based on my experience with their customer service regarding incorrect billing and problems with my block list being deleted by them, I would not even consider using them for a security system.

Chicken lady

Post by Chicken lady » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:27 pm

Gee Pajamas - I too have had Ooma service for quite a few years now and have zero problems. Sorry to hear about yours though it does make me cautious. Am still looking at other options. The direct 911 call has been the hook for me.

Thank you.