Moving from Northern California to New Ipswich New Hampshire.

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
gypsyman

Moving from Northern California to New Ipswich New Hampshire.

Post by gypsyman » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:57 pm

From New England, but have lived in Northern California the last 40 years. Looking for a small New England town for retirement. Flying out tomorrow to look at some properties in and around New Ipswich New Hampshire. No sales tax or state income tax is appealing. Moderately elevated property taxes compared to where I am now. 5% tax on dividends and interest. Population about 5000 people. Can anyone share their experiences in or around this town? Any comments are greatly appreciated.

Re: Moving from Northern California to New Ipswich New Hampshire.

Post by 123 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:06 pm

Don't rush out to buy property if you've been away for many years. Rent/lease for a year to get your current bearings on the areas and find what appeals to you now. Real estate mistakes are expensive.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:41 pm

New Ipswich is in the SW corner of Hillsborough County on the Massachusetts border. I live in the E central area of that county. It is about halfway between Keene (the largest city in Cheshire County) and Nashua (the second largest city in Hillsborough County). Neither of those is saying much. Nashua has more population than all of Cheshire County and it is still < 100,000. Think of this like mini flyover country. New Ipswich is drive over country between Nashua and Keene.

I have never lived there or in any of the surrounding towns, but I have had friends who lived there. New Ipswich is a typical New Hampshire small town. The population of roughly 3/4 of NH towns are between 1,000 and 10,000. For the first seven years I lived in NH, I lived in a truly small town of 400 people.

I don't know the population density of where you live, but it could be quite a shock. There is not likely to be much in the way of commerce nearby. There are unlikely to be much in the way of stores, restaurants, healthcare, etc... There maybe some more options in surrounding towns, but it wouldn't surprise me that you would need to go 1/2 hour either way.

However, if you want low key small town life it is definitely a possible option.

psychoslowmatic

Post by psychoslowmatic » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:21 pm

You’ll get slightly colder and snowier winters there than if you were closer to the ocean. I second renting for a year, you won’t really understand right away how features in prospective houses will interact with the weather. Steep vs shallow roof pitch, southern facing windows, insulation, detached garages, heating methods, steep driveways when it’s icy out, ect. I’m assuming you moved away before being responsible for a house, if you were then I still wouldn’t recommend it but your odds of being happy with your purchase are better.

grok87

Post by grok87 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:03 am

I would second the advice to rent first

Nh has been hit pretty hard by the opiod epidemic

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.usnews ... ontext=amp
"...people always live for ever when there is any annuity to be paid them"- Jane Austen

fishmonger

Post by fishmonger » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:31 am

Why New Ipswich? I was born and raised in Keene and moved back 5 years ago after living elsewhere (40 mins from New Ipswich).

What are your interests? A place like that can be very isolating with not much to do. Many would feel the same way about Keene, but it's a great place to raise a family, and being a college town there are a bunch of good restaurants, cultural opportunities, etc. Keene is 5x the size of New Ipswich

nativenewenglander

Post by nativenewenglander » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:14 pm

I lived in SWNH for 30 years until recently. New Ipswich is a nice town, however, I'd take my time and look at Peterborough, Hancock, Dublin, Harrisville as more attractive towns to consider. Keene was our shopping hub when we lived in the area. Peterbough is a nice town, lots of shopping, arts and restaurants. Property taxes are town specific in NH, so do your homework. It's a great, quiet part of the state.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:31 pm

New Hampshire is the state the Free State Project chose. It's interesting to read about and since you are moving there anyway, the resources section on their website might be useful even if you aren't in synch with their beliefs.

https://freestateproject.org/

gypsyman

Post by gypsyman » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:01 pm

Lot of great information. Thank you everyone who took time to reply. Homework indeed. I will do some more due diligence.

Raymond

Post by Raymond » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:54 am

"You can never go home again."

Agree with the recommendations to rent the first year, in case it doesn't work out.

If you have a house in California, you may consider holding on to it until you know where you're going to settle down.
"Ritter, Tod und Teufel"

Keepcalm

Post by Keepcalm » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:42 am

Southern NH is turning into trash from Mass....and the lakes region is full of meth heads. You want to hit decent NH living you better be Plymouth or north.....and there's no jobs up there besides logging and trucking. More of a place to have a camp you can escape to.

Seriously reconsider staying in the PNW.