Dish network

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
maria00200

Dish network

Post by maria00200 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:58 am

I've never had any kind of satellite service for tv and have been contemplating it. Dish network seems to be cheaper, but my question is how reliable is Dish as far as weather? Does it go out during rain, wind, snow? I really don't want something that won't work any time the weather is not so good.

boater07

Re: Dish network

Post by boater07 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:15 pm

Have not had weather related issues with them in last 5 years

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:17 pm

We would have some issues if it rained very hard or had those very cloudy/heavy rain patches.

It was not very often. We had an OTA antenna at the time we had Dish. I prefer DirecTV over Dish. We now use Playstation Vue.

Are you a Costco member? Their DirecTV offer is probably better.
"We are here not to please but to provoke thoughtfulness" Unknown Boglehead

Cheyenne

Post by Cheyenne » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:19 pm

We had Dish for two years a few years ago then went back to cable due to cost. Now were back with Dish as they are price competitive. The image quality is excellent but it does experience service interruptions during heavy rain and snow. It comes back on after the precipitation lightens up.

rgs92

Post by rgs92 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:37 pm

DISH was good over the many years I had it. But all satellite TV loses the signal, mainly in snow.
But these days with DVRs, you can usually find it later, so it's less important since you may not be watching live much.
But it depends on your viewing patterns.

The regular cable companies have more powerful bandwidth with boxes that can tune to many more channels simultaneously though, like 20.
So you can record many things at once without much restriction. It seemed like magic to me after I finally dropped dish for modern cable.
This is very convenient. The Dish box just had 2 tuners (per box), so it's relatively primitive.

Ha-ha, now I have it but I got bored with TV and don't watch much personally. The choice is so overwhelming it can leave you paralyzed from indecision so you turn it off and read or surf.

oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:51 pm

Heavy enough rain or snow will take out any satellite service. That's the nature of satellite.
Anybody know why there's a 20-pound frozen turkey up in the light grid?

maria00200

Post by maria00200 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:15 pm

Thanks for the input! It never occurred to me that I could always watch DVR recorded shows or on demand (I think) during a service interruption! Haha.

prudent

Post by prudent » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:26 pm

Topic moved to Personal Consumer Issues.

KSOC

Post by KSOC » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:27 pm

I had DirecTV for many years before switching to OTA (w/TiVo) & Playstation Vue. Satellite picture was way better than cable. Yes, rain & heavy clouds do affect signal. However it was never as frequent as the cable people would tell you. And if you're in a hurricane zone & the dish hasn't blown away, as long as you have a source of power you've got 100% TV while cable subscribers wait for the lines & power to be re-strung.
Too soon old, too late smart.

jazman12

Post by jazman12 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:33 pm

ever consider Dish's internet TV 'Sling' it is more versatile and provides "ala carte service" ? much better bang for your dollar

maria00200

Post by maria00200 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:05 pm

Yes I tried Sling tv but it doesn't have animal planet or Discovery :-(.. Otherwise I would have stayed with them.

GW208

Post by GW208 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:21 pm

I don't know about snow because we don't get any here, but wind, rain and clouds have never caused any signal losses for us. The new Dish receivers are advertised as being capable of recording 16 channels if that is important.

Rocco Sampler

Post by Rocco Sampler » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:36 pm

I have Direct TV.
Con: It goes out momentarily during a heavy rain.
Pro: It was still functioning after Hurricane Irma while friends' cable didn't work for a week (power was restored to the neighborhood the morning after the hurricane). Proved very valuable for post-hurricane information and entertainment. However, an antenna would have done the same, but with less channels.
Last edited by Rocco Sampler on Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rgs92

Post by rgs92 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:39 pm

Wow, Dish has 16 tuners? I guess I didn't keep up with it. In that case, I would vote for Dish then.
I found that their customer service and installation services were very professional and high quality.
They would come in for something and offer to replace or redo my wiring for free sometimes.
They would take the initiative to see if my cabling was worn, especially outside the the house, and fixed it up for no charge. And they always came on time. I had them for 15 years. They would swap receivers at my request for almost any reason. I felt they really wanted to keep me as a customer.
I felt kind of guilty when I dropped them.

(Yep, Animal Planet is pretty good.)

Ruger

Post by Ruger » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:52 pm

I've had both Dish and Direct and didn't see any difference between them. During heavy rain downpours and snow the signal would sometimes be lost.
But that seldom happens and I have been happy with both. I currently have Direct and called them up to cancel and move to Dish because it was much cheaper, but Direct price matched them.
I love recording everything on the DVR and then watching it later, zooming by the commercials. It's nice to have the On Demand feature too.

ERISA Stone

Post by ERISA Stone » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:03 am

I've had cable for the last 3 years. I had Directv for approximately 5 years prior to that. The loss of signal between the two is about the same for me. The bigger issue is typically power loss, which affects both the same. Maybe my experience is different, but I'm inclined to think the weather issue for satellites is exaggerated by the cable industry.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:16 am

Like others, I only briefly lost reception during intense rain or after a wet snow. The later was easily fixed with a quick brooming off of the snow but with the rain, you had to wait and watch recorded shows until reception returned. (On Demand can't be used while reception if off as well.) If you happened to be recording a show, there would be a gap in the recording during the time it was off. Sometimes I could watch the missing part online, other times catch a repeat and sometimes I was just out of luck.

One item that really bothered me about satellite television was watching local channels. In my area, the ONLY channel I can get over the air was FOX and their local news station was a comedy show (nothing political, just quality of it). Because it was OTA, it also doesn't function with the DVR so you have to watch it in real time. In most places in the U.S., they will give you regional options for satellite local stations so you can see them via the satellite and record them. However, in my region, we were in a deadzone (their term) and my options were local stations in either New York or Los Angles which are neither local when I live in the rural middle of the country. Even to get them, I had to apply for a waiver and wait three months after my satellite system was set up. They eventually turned on three months later but when it came to local news, I was completely out of the loop and had to rely on newspapers and weather forecasts online.

Eventually the satellite company had one of their many disputes and I lost several channels that I watch regularly and after two months of dealing with them, they told me I had to reapply for a waiver and wait another three months. I went back to cable.

Info_Hound

Post by Info_Hound » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:40 am

I've had DISH for years, both on the East Coast and now in my home in the Rocky Mountains.

Yes, when the rain/snow rate is very heavy you will lose signal until the worst of it has passed, but it's only when it's very heavy, not for normal intensity storms. I keep several shows stored/recorded on the box as a backup choice just in case.

Back East I discovered if I was watching TV and lost signal, I had about 10 minutes to go outside and tie down or bring in loose yard items before the storm arrived. Often I could not see the pending storm clouds due to the tree canopy, but loss of signal was always right on.

I'm still getting the timing of storms arrival to signal loss figured out at my current home. I look at it as my very own personalized Weather Channel. :D

obgraham

Post by obgraham » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:24 pm

I've had Dish for 19 years now. Never had a signal loss due to weather. I live in a windy, but not very rainy/snowy area.

I can get all 4 of the networks OTA. I run these through the Dish receiver/DVR. That way their programming shows up on the Dish listing, and I can record the OTA channel on the DVR. Gives me one more choice of "record this one while watching this other one".

Bfwolf

Post by Bfwolf » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:53 pm

Echo what others have said about performance--outages occasionally but rarely due to weather. Not a dealbreaker IMO.

I'll also add that the customer service I've received from Dish has been outstanding. I've had lots of receiver issues over the year and have probably had to have the receiver replaced 5 times, so I've interacted with them a bunch.

Of course, the fact that I've had to have the receiver replaced 5 times isn't exactly a feather in their cap.

meebers

Post by meebers » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:05 pm

I had Direct TV for a while, moved and now on cable. The differences if any are minor in picture quality in my case. I also have an antenna on a different hdmi port on the tv and switching between OTA and my cable feed (same channel) see no difference. Does not mean some cable companys dont have a poor signal, mine does not. I have also seen the cable channels fade similar to satellite fade because some channels are transmitted from a direct satellite feed, not very often, the cable antenna dishes are quite large. My main reason, for my cable company, is there is no contract, I can cancel tomorrow if I want with no fee/penalty BS. If a box breaks, I can change it out or have it changed without a fee. Putting a sat box in the mail for repair is just nonsense and have to pay $8/month to do that. It's insane to sigh up with a 2 year contract, 1st year low prices, 2nd year out of control. Bait and switch comes to mind. I have a bundle, TV, internet and home phone. If going to satellite and including internet and home phone (fax and alarm requirement) all in one price, still having an equivalent channel line up, Satellite would cost me more. I do the analysis about every 6 months, even thru the pesky Costco guy :sharebeer. Now if I happen to move to an area with poor cable or no cable the I would probably become a satellite user

boater07

Post by boater07 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:58 pm

In an earlier post someone said you could watch program on DVR after power outage. How does that work if it wasn't recorded?
What am I missing?