MoviePass-Too good to be true, but it's legit.

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Cycle

Re: MoviePass-Too good to be true, but it's legit.

Post by Cycle » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:36 pm

This sounds like a fantastic deal, unfortunately the only theaters within biking distance of us are 2nd run movie or live theaters so I guess its not meant to be.

Post by 123 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:14 pm

It can be an absolutely fantastic deal for the right group of customers. I have one but only go to one movie a week, depending on if it's in compatable location and showtime. We got a six month gift MoviePass for our recently graduated student who is back home with us. It works great for her, we've got lots of theaters/screens that are easy to get to and the "student" likes a lot of movies including foreign language and artsy that are included in the MoviePass theaters. She often stops at a compatible movie on the way home from her part-time jobs. The last two months she's seen 15 or 20 movies with the MoviePass each month. Otherwise I don't think she'd pay $12 to $14+ for each ticket. It's great while it lasts.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

anonenigma

Post by anonenigma » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:41 pm

munemaker wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:23 pm
SEAworld9 wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:43 am
if you see the same movie 10 times on 10 different days it does get recorded by moviepass.
MoviePass does not allow you to see the same movie more than once.
Not in my experience. Saw one movie twice with no problem.

denovo

Post by denovo » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:44 am

malabargold wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:10 pm
As a bonus, if your cinema offers live streaming of performances
of things like the Bolshoi Ballet, it will work for those, too.

It does NOT cover the full price, but does pay up to the customary movie charge toward the price.

Surprised I skipped over this post, but this is wrong. This service is only for standard 2d films. Not 3d films, Imax, or special events like Fathom. If you use MoviePass for any of these events and pay the difference yourself, your account will be banned.

https://www.moviepass.com/terms/

2.14. You may use MoviePass Card to purchase a 2D movie ticket at a theater kiosk. You may not use MoviePass Card for any other purpose, including but not limited to, unauthorized purchases or purchases exceeding the value of a single movie ticket.

2.3. A valid MoviePass subscription to the Service entitles you to: (1) see one (1) 2D film per calendar day through MoviePass; and (2) a single seat, depending on availability, for a 2D film showing open to the general public. The Service excludes premium showings such as: 3D films, IMAX, 4D, XD and specialty theaters.
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

malabargold

Post by malabargold » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:42 am

It was correct at the time posted

They showed up as supported viewings and we did it
multiple times

Since new terms of service, it is no longer an option

BlueCable

Post by BlueCable » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:25 pm

MoviePass working out well for me. Pays for itself if I see one movie a month at my preferred theater.

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:46 pm

anonenigma wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:41 pm
munemaker wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:23 pm
SEAworld9 wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:43 am
if you see the same movie 10 times on 10 different days it does get recorded by moviepass.
MoviePass does not allow you to see the same movie more than once.
Not in my experience. Saw one movie twice with no problem.
In the past, MoviePass did have a restriction on viewing a movie more than once. This was changed some time ago and you can now view movies multiple times.

denovo

Post by denovo » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:16 pm

malabargold wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:42 am

multiple times

Your post was from Jan 2018. From the outset it was well established you could not use MoviePass for Fathom, 3d tickets, etc. This is a Reddit thread from 4 months ago with the relevant links.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MoviePassClub/ ... _content=5

We currently do not support (in part or entirety) any enhanced or special screenings that involve an up-charge at the theater. Examples of these would include 3D, IMAX, Fathom Events, DBOX, ETX/RPX, film festival screenings, etc.
MoviePass has been aggressive about auditing accounts and triggering the banhammer lately.

acunn

Post by acunn » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:43 pm

app is tracking before and after- just an fyi:

https://lifehacker.com/moviepass-is-tra ... ehacker%29

Helo80

Post by Helo80 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:54 pm

I relented in signing up for MP after Costco announced the deal. Costco added legitimacy to the service.

All in all, the service has worked and continues to work as described. It has not failed me once.

Helo80

Post by Helo80 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:13 pm

malabargold wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:42 am

multiple times

I'm going to be blunt --- special events (Fathom, 3D, Imax, RPX, etc.) have never been supported under the $10/month or $8/month options. The TOS have not changed. Even if Black Panther is $8 and the Fathom event is $8 --- MP will ban you if they find out as a TOS violation. The app is getting better, but sometimes erroneously pulls movie-data feeds including the way you described the event you saw. Fathom events are known to be buggy where MP will let you "Check In". How are customers following the rules supposed to know this? I have no idea.

At one time, MP had a $100/month option that allowed for 3D, Imax, etc. as MP has existed for the last five years. I am not sure if people are still grandfathered on the $100/month plan. If you are on the $100/plan, my apologies for this note as you fall under a unique set of rules.

I would try to stick to standard 2D movie showings. In early February, MP began banning people, and not surprisingly, MP did not have a business workflow process for people whom followed the rules to get un-banned.

Right now, there is a beta test going on to "re-introduce" the requirement that you snap a photo of the ticket stub you bought to weed out more scammers from the system ---- people buying 3d, imax, rpx, premium events, fathom, and future dated shows (next day and beyond). Just to be clear, prior to the September $10/month price announcement, snapping a photo of the stub was a requirement, but they took said requirement off the table for now.

URSnshn

Post by URSnshn » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:25 am

Maybe it might be a bit too good to be true ...
Lisa Vaas at on Sophos writes, " At first blush, MoviePass, the subscription that lets you see a movie a day at participating theaters for $9.95/month (now on sale for $7.95), sounds like a great deal.

But like so many too-good-to-be-true deals nowadays – Google, Facebook, et al. – subscribers are forking over far more than they might imagine. In fact, you and all the juicy personal data that can be squeezed out of you are the marketing-gold product."

Rest here:

https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2018/0 ... ing-users/

LiterallyIronic

Post by LiterallyIronic » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:32 am

URSnshn wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:25 am
Lisa Vaas at on Sophos writes, " At first blush, MoviePass, the subscription that lets you see a movie a day at participating theaters for $9.95/month (now on sale for $7.95), sounds like a great deal.

But like so many too-good-to-be-true deals nowadays – Google, Facebook, et al. – subscribers are forking over far more than they might imagine. In fact, you and all the juicy personal data that can be squeezed out of you are the marketing-gold product."

Rest here:

Couldn't you simply sign up for their service but don't put the app on your phone until you get to the movie theater, then install the app, use it to make the ticket purchase, and then uninstall the app until the next time you're at the theater?

Post by 123 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:40 am

LiterallyIronic wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:32 am
Couldn't you simply sign up for their service but don't put the app on your phone until you get to the movie theater, then install the app, use it to make the ticket purchase, and then uninstall the app until the next time you're at the theater?
Sure you could uninstall or disable it. You can also have it on another cheap smartphone that you only turn-on at the theaters or use in another limited manner (isolate all the evil apps). Those are not too convenient so few people will likely use those options.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

anonenigma

Post by anonenigma » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:02 pm

I have the privacy set to allow location use only while using the app. Have they defeated that?

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:21 pm

anonenigma wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:02 pm
I have the privacy set to allow location use only while using the app. Have they defeated that?
It looks like IOS considers the app "in use" even when it is running in the background. From https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203033:
Some apps will ask to use your location only while the app is in use. An app is considered "in use" when you're actively using it in the foreground, or when it's in use in the background, which the status bar will indicate.

Looking further, this means you have to open the app after booting up the phone before it will be considered "in use", but then it could still be considered "in use" even when it is not the app you're currently interacting with on the screen. Theoretically, it's only considered "in use" in the background while it finishes a task that was started while you were using the app, but it's easy enough for a developer to come up with an endless task that will continue to track location data in the background.

So it's relatively easy to get around the "while using the app" setting in IOS. The app can't start tracking you from the minute you boot your phone, but it can start tracking you from the minute you open the app.

More recent versions of IOS have more prominent status bars about which app is accessing location data. Here's an article on the location changes in IOS 11: https://www.macworld.com/article/320336 ... -ipad.html

anonenigma

Post by anonenigma » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:20 pm

Mudpuppy wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:21 pm
anonenigma wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:02 pm
It looks like IOS considers the app "in use" even when it is running in the background. From https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203033:
Some apps will ask to use your location only while the app is in use. An app is considered "in use" when you're actively using it in the foreground, or when it's in use in the background, which the status bar will indicate.

Looking further, this means you have to open the app after booting up the phone before it will be considered "in use", but then it could still be considered "in use" even when it is not the app you're currently interacting with on the screen. Theoretically, it's only considered "in use" in the background while it finishes a task that was started while you were using the app, but it's easy enough for a developer to come up with an endless task that will continue to track location data in the background.

So it's relatively easy to get around the "while using the app" setting in IOS. The app can't start tracking you from the minute you boot your phone, but it can start tracking you from the minute you open the app.

More recent versions of IOS have more prominent status bars about which app is accessing location data. Here's an article on the location changes in IOS 11: https://www.macworld.com/article/320336 ... -ipad.html
So best to not use the app until I arrive at the theater and then turn off the phone (rather than silence it) during the movie?

Add: Just checked settings in my iPhone, and "Background App Refresh" is greyed out - can't be deactivated. Does this mean that I can be tracked whenever the phone is on?

Ketawa

Post by Ketawa » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:56 pm

URSnshn wrote:
If I can effectively sell my location data to see movies in theaters at ~20% of the market price, I'll gladly do it. I'm a happy MoviePass customer and have used it to see 12 movies in the last 3 months.

denovo

Post by denovo » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:26 pm

Ketawa wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:56 pm
URSnshn wrote:
If I can effectively sell my location data to see movies in theaters at ~20% of the market price, I'll gladly do it. I'm a happy MoviePass customer and have used it to see 12 movies in the last 3 months.

+ a million

Helo80

Post by Helo80 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:54 pm

URSnshn wrote:

Rest here:

MP was bought out by a data analytics company. When MP dropped the price to $10/month for one 2D movie at most any theater per day, I think MP was always upfront that they would use subscribers viewing habits to sell back to Hollywood, marketers etc.

I don't get why people think they have much privacy on their smartphone. You are literally carrying a little Unix computer in your pocket that is phoning home to cell towers continuously while powered on. If you genuinely do not want to be tracked, don't touch technology. Stop posting on BH, quit using the internet for browsing, do all your business by telephone or mail. Go back to your habits pre-1995. Facebook has data analytics and tracks users whom have never registered on Facebook. We seem to like FB stock in our S&P500 and TSM index funds.

BTW -- Mitch Lowe later retracted his comment that they're tracking users.

AntsOnTheMarch

Post by AntsOnTheMarch » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:58 pm

Just because your smartphone is a powerful computer does not mean it automatically tracks you wherever you are and that you have no say in your privacy. Not all phones, services, apps, companies are the same. That’s like saying “it doesn’t matter if I invest my savings with Vanguard or Slimy Joe’s Investment Emporium. It’s all the same.”

Btw, check your uber location settings while you’re at it. Another “most excellent” company. :annoyed

msi

Post by msi » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:24 am

Ketawa wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:56 pm
URSnshn wrote:
I wish there were 12 movies I've wanted to see in the last 3 months. MoviePass would be perfect, but as it is now we don't even see one a month.

Chicago60

Post by Chicago60 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:41 pm

In under 3.5 months, we have used MoviePass 16 times. However, we likely will use it sparingly the next few months as the quality of films released after the Oscars do not hold up to the ones released late in the year.

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:51 am

anonenigma wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:20 pm
Add: Just checked settings in my iPhone, and "Background App Refresh" is greyed out - can't be deactivated. Does this mean that I can be tracked whenever the phone is on?
According to the following Apple support article, enabling parental controls is one reason this option could be greyed out: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201304. Try going into the Restrictions menu (parental control customization), enter your code to alter restrictions, then make sure the setting for Background App Refresh is "Allow changes". See this article for screenshots: https://corecoders.zendesk.com/hc/en-gb ... esh-Denied

denovo

Post by denovo » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:55 am

Chicago60 wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:41 pm
In under 3.5 months, we have used MoviePass 16 times. However, we likely will use it sparingly the next few months as the quality of films released after the Oscars do not hold up to the ones released late in the year.
Feb-May is always a sucky time to see movies, the quality of films coming out stink.

Chicago60

Post by Chicago60 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:24 am

denovo wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:55 am
Chicago60 wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:41 pm
Feb-May is always a sucky time to see movies, the quality of films coming out stink.
“Get Out” last year was a rare exception.

rpfmd

Post by rpfmd » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:25 am

I have been using this for months now. I initially bought one just for myself, then subsequently bought one for my wife and my four children. All have worked flawlessly, at multiple theaters around the country, although I do realize that there are some theaters that do not participate.

As an added level of "safety", I bought it through Costco. If there would be any significant hiccups, or if they would fold, I'm confident that Costco would refund my money via their outstanding customer service.

Clearly this has appeared to be "too good to be true", but it has paid for itself many times over in my family, and I highly recommended for anyone who's interested in going to the movies more than rarely.

denovo

Post by denovo » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:56 pm

rpfmd wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:25 am
I have been using this for months now. I initially bought one just for myself, then subsequently bought one for my wife and my four children.
Moviepass is only for adults (18+).

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:59 pm

rpfmd wrote:
I do realize that there are some theaters that do not participate.
Actually there is no participation.

wilked

Post by wilked » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:50 pm

Price just dropped to $7.95 a month

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:03 pm

wilked wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:50 pm
According to news reports, it's down to $6.95 a month today for new subscribers as a "limited time offer". But the benefits have also been scaled back since the initial offering of the service. And you have to keep a close eye on what data it is collecting from you (the primary owner is a big data company).

malabargold

Post by malabargold » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:02 pm

What good quality data do they expect to harvest when the game is different for MoviePass users vs. the general public?

We’ve seen multiple films that we would never have paid
$15 a shot to see since we’ve had MP

travellight

Post by travellight » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:35 pm

Mudpuppy wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:03 pm
wilked wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:50 pm
According to news reports, it's down to $6.95 a month today for new subscribers as a "limited time offer". But the benefits have also been scaled back since the initial offering of the service. And you have to keep a close eye on what data it is collecting from you (the primary owner is a big data company).
Other than a few theaters that have been deleted (only one in my city), what benefits have been scaled back?

Sockpuppet

Post by Sockpuppet » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:05 pm

malabargold wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:02 pm
What good quality data do they expect to harvest when the game is different for MoviePass users vs. the general public?

Knowing what kind of films you’ll leave the house for to see in theaters would be data highly desirable by movie studios.

tryingmybest

Post by tryingmybest » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:25 pm

Sockpuppet wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:05 pm
Knowing what kind of films you’ll leave the house for to see in theaters would be data highly desirable by movie studios.
I have seen this written a number of times by a number of authors. I hope these questions are taken as genuine:
  • Are you connected in any way with the movie industry?
  • How would that information be monitised?
  • How much would each data point (movie viewing), be worth?
Last edited by tryingmybest on Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:55 pm

Sockpuppet wrote:
malabargold wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:02 pm

If you go back to the CEO's statement about tracking users' locations, it's not just the movies that you watch. It's also what you do before and after the movies that could be valuable marketing data. Everything from routes taken to places visited could yield some trend that could be turned into a marketing opportunity.

Sockpuppet

Post by Sockpuppet » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:57 pm

tryingmybest wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:25 pm
Sockpuppet wrote:
I have seen this written a number of times by a number of authors. I hope these questions are taken as genuine:
I have an interest in this field since I wrote the Netflix recommendation system.
1. No, but have close contacts that are. But this info is all public knowledge. Moviepass has said data is their business model.
2. I don’t think Moviepass knows exactly. I never said they had a great business plan just that this is it and that the data is valuable. I think what they really want is for studios to pay them to recommend movies to members with a high match rate. This would help pump opening box office and initial real viewer reviews. Studios would probably pay a pretty penny for that.
3. No idea, which is why a number of chains strongly dislike Moviepass. AMC has said they don’t think this model is sustainable and that it has the potential to train consumers to expect flat all you can eat movie prices that are being subsidized with investor money and once Moviepass fails people will start avoiding theaters because “it’s too expensive.”

My contacts (who are all mid-level folk) think that both Moviepass pulling this off and failing and taking down the movie industry with them are both possibilities. But I think overall there is a sense that the model for delivering movies is antiquated and there is a huge opportunity for some major disruption in the movie industry.
Last edited by Sockpuppet on Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

denovo

Post by denovo » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:00 pm

madbrain wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:18 am
Not so sure it's really legit.

Some people have reported that MoviePass who used the service to see many movies a month had MoviePass raise their price even before the one year contract was up.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/122-great ... st54650246

I think it's a scam, and it's clearly operating at a loss, and won't last.
Just an update, I've been a power user going 6 months strong, and have not had my prices raised (I am on a monthly subscription). Nor have I heard of anyone forced to pay more than 9.95. People have been banned for violating the terms of service though.

GuyInFL

Post by GuyInFL » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:11 pm

Price just dropped to $6.95 per day.
I've been using it since Mid January and it works very well.
Not sure how sustainable it is, but they've got smarter people than me working that out. :?

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:18 pm

travellight wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:35 pm
Other than a few theaters that have been deleted (only one in my city), what benefits have been scaled back?
I'm not a MoviePass user, but I have seen complaints about wording in the terms that could penalize a user who uses the service too frequently (and a few reports of people getting emails about prices going up due to excessive use) and about users being kicked off the service without warning if they use their MoviePass in a way the company has decided is a bug. I'm all for a business deciding things are a bug and kicking out repeat offenders, but it's common decency to warn users that the action violates the terms on the first offense rather than cancelling their account. What if the movie theater employee rang up the transaction wrong and the user didn't notice until after running their MoviePass card?

denovo

Post by denovo » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:28 pm

metrunt wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:53 am
You can also get tickets for other people of your own card (but only 1 per day). So you can buy a ticket and give it to your kid as you drop him off with friends. For example.
No, this is incorrect. You can't give your tickets to your kids or anyone else and will be banned if MoviePass finds out.

Slacker

Post by Slacker » Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:35 am

denovo wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:28 pm
metrunt wrote:
You can also get tickets for other people of your own card (but only 1 per day). So you can buy a ticket and give it to your kid as you drop him off with friends. For example.
No, this is incorrect. You can't give your tickets to your kids or anyone else and will be banned if MoviePass finds out.
Agreed. If you were to do anything of the sort I'd suggest turning off your phone for the duration of the movie or at the least turn off location services immediately after purchasing the tickets and restart your phone.

anoop

Post by anoop » Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:40 am

This is another beneficiary of ZIRP. It will be gone some time in the next 2 years.

Aside from that, the quality of movies being released nowadays is so bad that I have trouble finding more than 1 movie per month, on average, that I would actually care to see.

AntsOnTheMarch

Post by AntsOnTheMarch » Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:22 am

anoop wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:40 am
…the quality of movies being released nowadays is so bad that I have trouble finding more than 1 movie per month, on average, that I would actually care to see.
+1

Helo80

Post by Helo80 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:32 am

Mudpuppy wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:18 pm
I'm not a MoviePass user, but I have seen complaints about wording in the terms that could penalize a user who uses the service too frequently (and a few reports of people getting emails about prices going up due to excessive use) and about users being kicked off the service without warning if they use their MoviePass in a way the company has decided is a bug.

BLUF -- if you follow the rules, MP is not raising the price nor are they kicking off users.

I beg to differ on the excess part. I do not think a single person whom has followed the rules with MP has been kicked off or seen a price increase for excessive usage. Lots of people will claim that, but if you browse r/moviepassclub on reddit, several people have seen 20+ films in a 30 day time period, followed the rules, and zero issues. There are others that have 800+ films under their belt for the last 4 years and again, zero issues.

Yes, MP is kicking people off the service without warning, but the culprit has always been people fraudulently using the cards (concessions or premium experiences) or split transactions. A split transaction done properly, is unlikely to flag MP's fraud detection. Unfortunately, sometimes overzealous cashiers think they know how to do a split transaction, and they do not. If a couple with two MPs has the first card maxed out and the second card pays the remaining balance... it's low hanging fruit for an account ban. Now, MP is getting a bit better about reversing split transaction bans and will sternly tell you that "Don't do this again." They want you to buy one ticket at a time in each transaction.

I do take issue with some of MPs business workflows and logic in the ticket buying process... but if you follow the rules, you aren't going to get banned.

Chicago60

Post by Chicago60 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:18 am

PSA:
Back a few months, Moviepass' negotiations with AMC affected its users in a handful of theaters: Moviepass pulled out of 10 theaters across the country, including RiverEast in Chicago. A minor inconvenience for me and other users. Apparently, for now, the dispute has been resolved at AMC RiverEast and reportedly the other AMC theaters are back allowing MoviePass patrons at their theaters.

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:42 am

Slacker wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:35 am
denovo wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:28 pm
metrunt wrote:
Agreed. If you were to do anything of the sort I'd suggest turning off your phone for the duration of the movie or at the least turn off location services immediately after purchasing the tickets and restart your phone.
Or you could just follow the rules and only use the card for yourself.

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:46 am

denovo wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:56 pm
rpfmd wrote:
I have been using this for months now. I initially bought one just for myself, then subsequently bought one for my wife and my four children.
Moviepass is only for adults (18+).
Yes, I was wondering how you legitimately bought movie pass for your four children:
https://moviepass.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/ ... MoviePass-

anil686

Post by anil686 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:55 am

Sockpuppet wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:57 pm
tryingmybest wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:25 pm
Sockpuppet wrote:
I have an interest in this field since I wrote the Netflix recommendation system.
1. No, but have close contacts that are. But this info is all public knowledge. Moviepass has said data is their business model.
2. I don’t think Moviepass knows exactly. I never said they had a great business plan just that this is it and that the data is valuable. I think what they really want is for studios to pay them to recommend movies to members with a high match rate. This would help pump opening box office and initial real viewer reviews. Studios would probably pay a pretty penny for that.
3. No idea, which is why a number of chains strongly dislike Moviepass. AMC has said they don’t think this model is sustainable and that it has the potential to train consumers to expect flat all you can eat movie prices that are being subsidized with investor money and once Moviepass fails people will start avoiding theaters because “it’s too expensive.”

My contacts (who are all mid-level folk) think that both Moviepass pulling this off and failing and taking down the movie industry with them are both possibilities. But I think overall there is a sense that the model for delivering movies is antiquated and there is a huge opportunity for some major disruption in the movie industry.

I have listened to a few podcasts address this from movie studio producers/executives as well as this article about data in screenplays. Essentially, it is studios giving people more of what they clamor for - and less of what they don't in efforts to generate more revenue...

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/ho ... creenplay/

fmhealth

Anyone here use "MoviePass"??

Post by fmhealth » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:14 pm

[Thread merged into here, see below (next page). --admin LadyGeek]

This idea has really caught on with consumers. I'm uncertain if this concept truly has legs. What peaked my interest is that Verizon has recently taken a sizable stake. I'm attaching an article that gives a good overview of the positives as well as downside. The comments at the end of this really gives a balanced perspective.

Any actionable thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Be Well,
fmhealth

[OT link removed by admin LadyGeek]