Where/when to get good deals on athletic shoes

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
azurekep

Where/when to get good deals on athletic shoes

Post by azurekep » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:34 pm

In preparation for Black Friday or "the holidays", I usually look at Best Buy for any deals on electroincs.

Is there an equivalent site for athletic shoes? Or other kinds of shoes?

Do shoes have "seasons" where they go on sale... like the way there are January Sales on household linens?

I have a couple of links to places like Fat Wallet, but they're cumbersome since they cover everything but the kitchen sink.

I'd just like an easy way to look for bargains on shoes. Especially STEEP bargains (shoe costs have gotten way out of hand.) The main focus is athletic shoes, but others would be of interest as well.

nalor511

Re: Where/when to get good deals on athletic shoes

Post by nalor511 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:43 pm

I don't like buying shoes online, so in-person I like Ross, Marshall's, Burlington Coat Factory, and less so Nordstrom Rack. If you put a keyword alert on Slickdeals, you will be alerted to deals on random sites/brands if you wish. I've done all of the above

LifeIsGood

Post by LifeIsGood » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:01 am

I buy my running shoes from Joe's New Balance - https://www.joesnewbalanceoutlet.com/
They frequently have sales and free shipping offers. I've been buying from them for years. I like New Balance because I can buy a size 11D and it fits perfectly every time even though it may be a new or different model shoe.

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:27 am

I buy running shoes from Zappos (they have every brand as far as I know). If you aren't fussy about colors sometimes the less popular colors drop in price drastically.

indexonlyplease

Post by indexonlyplease » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:47 am

For years I have been buying my sneakers at Finishline. I usually buy shoes that are on sale. Also, for every $200 you spend they send you a $20 voucher for any sneaker. With 2 kids I get to $200 real easy.

This also allows me to buy the sneakers I want. Good to protect the only pair of feet you have.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:30 am

I learned about bargains with my older son who was a serious skateboarder. At the indoor skate park with attached store, they had the usual 6 month old or less shoes for sale for $100+. Find something that's over a year old, $20. I bought a number of pairs of all black shoes with no logos. They work find for my job as they look like suede nondescript shoes. My customers are all engineers, half of which are in jeans and T shirts, so nobody cares that I'm not wearing fancy pants shoes that I'd save for funerals.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

Perkunas

Post by Perkunas » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:41 am

I'm not sure what you mean by athletic shoes, but I've been buying used running shoes from eBay for the past few years. I know the exact brand/model/size that I wear, so it is just a matter of finding a pair that has only been used minimally.

My Saucony's MSRP is around $120-130. I typically buy the previous model. I've bought some for under $20 and the most I've spent is approx $35. At these prices, if I find a good deal, I can buy an extra pair even if I don't need them immediately.

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:51 am

DaftInvestor wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:27 am
I buy running shoes from Zappos (they have every brand as far as I know). If you aren't fussy about colors sometimes the less popular colors drop in price drastically.
Athletic shoes are like cars. The mfrs release a new version of each model once a year. When the new version comes out, last year's version will be steeply discounted. Amazon, which also owns Zappos and 6pm.com, which is where Zappos offloads last season's shoes, is the best place to buy IMHO.I just keep my preferred running shoe on my Amazon shopping list so I can monitor the price. You may not get the exact color shoe you want that way, but if you don't care about color, it's a good way to get the best price. I typically buy my kids' athletic shoes at 6pm.com and have been pleased with their service so far. But again, it's all Amazon.

Edited to note: I'm speaking of general athletic shoes here. If you're a serious tennis player, then buying from an outfit like Tennis Warehouse is the way to go because they warranty their shoes, and you can trade them in for a new pair after wearing them a while. If you're a serious runner who wears out shoes after a particular mileage, then going with a local running shop is the way to go because they will have discount programs for repeat customers.

cjhud32

Post by cjhud32 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:05 am

If you don't mind ordering online, Eastbay, Final Score. If it is sport-specific footwear, order after the season if you can wait. For example, try to avoid purchasing basketball sneakers before or during basketball season. Try to hold off and get those in the spring.

I'm 39 now and have been doing this since since I was in high school. It gets too expensive purchasing sneakers before or during season.

Toons

Post by Toons » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:12 am

Zappos or
Amazon :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:18 am

I get my shoes online at (often offer free shipping):

www.holabirdsports.com

www.tenniswarehouse.com
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:24 am

Perkunas wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:41 am
I'm not sure what you mean by athletic shoes, but I've been buying used running shoes from eBay for the past few years. I know the exact brand/model/size that I wear, so it is just a matter of finding a pair that has only been used minimally.

My Saucony's MSRP is around $120-130. I typically buy the previous model. I've bought some for under $20 and the most I've spent is approx $35. At these prices, if I find a good deal, I can buy an extra pair even if I don't need them immediately.
I admire the frugality but to me buying used shoes is kind of like buying a used mattress... No thank you.

Carson

Post by Carson » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:27 am

I generally the kids' from 6pm.com.

However, I am ridiculously picky when it comes to my athletic shoes. It has to be a good price/deal, as well as a perfect fit. This last time around, I bought a couple pairs from Dick's tent sale, tried them around the house and took back what didn't work. IIRC, I paid about $45 for a pair of $150 Asics.
30-something personal finance enthusiast, just get getting started on this whole portfolio thing.

HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:40 am

Not exactly high performance but do the job $13/pair

Kirkland Signature Men’s Athletic Shoe, White

Free shipping (assuming you are a member)

Mr.BB

Post by Mr.BB » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:44 am

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."

mxs

Post by mxs » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:03 am

My experience has been with running shoes. I got fitted at a local running specific store and chose the Asics GT-3000 shoes, which retail for close to $130. Somewhere in the December to February time frame, Asics retail website sells last years models for half price. Around that time, online vendors have close to the same price as well. I imagine other brands have similar trends, so look for when the new models come out and see what last years model costs then.

If you are looking at running shoes, I highly suggest going to a specialty store to get fitted with a shoe that works well for you, as the extra ~$50 or so is worth saving foot or other discomfort problems.

Braumeister

Post by Braumeister » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:21 am

A consideration many people are not aware of:
Running (athletic) shoes begin to lose their cushioning ability as soon as they leave the factory. The sophisticated forms of rubber in their various layers begin deteriorating and eventually become fairly useless.

I've learned (the hard way) to avoid buying more than one pair at a time, no matter how good the sale price is. That spare pair sat in the closet unused until I was ready for it, only to discover that it was nowhere near as good as an actual new pair. Cushioning is important for me, so keep this aspect in mind.

Jamieson22

Post by Jamieson22 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:32 am

Shoes.com

They usually have a 20-30% off coupon if you Google for it and eBates offers 6-12% cash back on top of it.

parsi1

Post by parsi1 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:37 am

Costco

bluebolt

Post by bluebolt » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:45 am

Braumeister wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:21 am
Running (athletic) shoes begin to lose their cushioning ability as soon as they leave the factory. The sophisticated forms of rubber in their various layers begin deteriorating and eventually become fairly useless.

I've learned (the hard way) to avoid buying more than one pair at a time, no matter how good the sale price is. That spare pair sat in the closet unused until I was ready for it, only to discover that it was nowhere near as good as an actual new pair. Cushioning is important for me, so keep this aspect in mind.
It is typically recommended to replace running shoes after 300-500 miles. So, I don't mind picking up a pair or two extra if they are on sale, since I will be swapping out my pair within a few months. Obviously YMMV depending on how much you run.

Also, I do like supporting my local running store. I ask for a discount and they always give it to me without any hassle. Especially helpful when I want to try out different pairs of shoes if my old shoe has a model change or isn't working for me anymore.

onourway

Post by onourway » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:53 am

As noted, previous models are typically priced at a deep discount, provided you can find your size.

I have also had surprisingly good luck buying shoes on Amazon. Often their prices are only slightly cheaper than other places, but for some reason I've found no less than 3 pairs of shoes in the last 18 months or so that were approximately 1/3 of the price I could find them anywhere else - but only that price in the size I was looking for. I suspect there is some loss-leader web tracking stuff going on there, but I'll take it when I'm offered it!

azurekep

Post by azurekep » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:38 am

Rupert wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:51 am
Amazon, which also owns Zappos and 6pm.com, which is where Zappos offloads last season's shoes, is the best place to buy IMHO.I just keep my preferred running shoe on my Amazon shopping list so I can monitor the price.
I'm not familiar enough with Amazon to know what is meant by a "shopping list". However, I have saved certain items on ocassion in my cart and the price immediately went up.

The other downside of Amazon is you can't get a straight price out of them on shoes. Right now, I'm looking at a shoe which they list as $32.00-$139.00. You have to drill down to size and color to get an exact price. That's way too much work if you want to do some power comparison shopping.

I haven't looked yet at Zappos or 6pm.com. I hope they're not into gaming the prices.

azurekep

Post by azurekep » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:45 am

Braumeister wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:21 am

I have a pair of Nike Air Zooms that sat unused for several years. I recently started wearing them and the sole started falling apart. It seems the sole has several layers that are glued on, plus some cushioning material that breaks off into little pieces. I'm using Crazy Glue to keep the peeling layers stuck on, but I can't control the little black things that are falling off. I only use the shoes inside now.

I did have some Adidas, however, that lasted forever. When they did fall apart, it was the upper material, not the sole.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:00 pm

If you know the brand, model and size/width, the shoe world (web) is your oyster to shop.

I check eBay, Amazon, Google search, Bing search and then go from there.

Running shoes have versions, so if the current version is 12, then the 10 or 11 might be heavily discounted.

If Brooks Adrenaline GTS 17 is the current/new model, then I shop for 16.
"We are here not to please but to provoke thoughtfulness" Unknown Boglehead

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:19 pm

Try Kohl's. I have purchased a low cost sneaker there for years and have had no complaints.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs