Suggestions for organizing bookmarks

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Trice

Suggestions for organizing bookmarks

Post by Trice » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:06 am

I'm looking for ideas/suggestions on what people do to organize bookmarks. I currently use XMarks, a bookmark sync tool, as an extension in my Firefox browser and app on my smart devices. While it is a fairly robust tool, XMarks has gotten little development love since Lastpass saved it from shutting down nearly seven years ago. It can be clunky at times; about once a year its syncing messes up my set of bookmarks (for example, replacing my current set with a previous set that is days or weeks old) and it takes a few days of working with their support team to get it straightened out. For that reason I've never been able to fully trust it. More recently, it's not playing nice with the newer versions of Firefox, and there are rumors it may not function at all when Firefox 57 hits next month.

Bookmarks are a huge part of my workflow. Of course, I save frequently visited stuff like financial accounts, news sites, etc. But I'm also one of those people that will open 30 tabs to research something for work, a home improvement project, etc. and then needs a place to store those tabs so they don't clog up my browser and I can pull them up later.

So I'm shopping for a new solution. Here's what I'm looking for:
- I have about 3,300-3,500 bookmarks in total.
- I frequently save and delete a bunch of bookmarks, so reliably frequent or near-instant syncing is helpful
- Needs to be easy to save and access...whether a dedicated web page that I can leave up in my browser, or a browser extension
- Can sync and be used across multiple devices, platforms, etc.

FYI on other, similar products I use...I use Pocket for saving articles to read, etc. but I don't consider that a bookmarking solution. Usually I dump stuff in Pocket and someday revisit it, and if it's good it graduates to a bookmark. Likewise I use Feedly as a big source of news/information but there's no mechanism there to store other bookmarks there. I also use a Firefox extension called OneTab that allows you to offload tabs into one tab and store them there, similar to bookmarks. I'd like to convert these to bookmarks and discontinue my use of OneTab.

So fire away, suggestions are welcome. And thanks in advance.

rgs92

Re: Suggestions for organizing bookmarks

Post by rgs92 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:15 am

Well, this may sound inconvenient, but when I find a bookmark I like, I save the URL in a gmail email to myself and label the email (using gmail labels) bookmark and any number of additional categories I want.

And I can use these bookmarks with any browser at any time.

And I can click it right from the email.

So Bogleheads would be labeled with Bookmark and Finance and Favorites and Forum.

Then I just go into my always-open gmail, click on one the labels or search for them, and find the email and click on the link.

And they are never lost since they are in the cloud .
Last edited by rgs92 on Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:23 am, edited 3 times in total.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:17 am

I synch my FF bookmarks across devices. I use bookmark folders and tags.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

mrb09

Post by mrb09 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:25 am

I use https://pinboard.in/about/. It is an extremely simple (like craigslist simple) paid ($11 a year) service. It doesn't have a browser plugin per se, but they have a javascript snippet you can bookmark that acts like one, so you can do "bookmark this page with the following tags". You can organize by time and tags, and you can do a free text search. There's no sync, you go to their bookmarks page and click on links. I have their bookmark javascript snippet and site bookmarked on all my browser toolbars.

Basically, all I need and nothing more.

I just looked and pinboard acquired Delicious, which I had not realized.

The stats say I've been using it since 2012, and I have 398 bookmarks.

tractorguy

Post by tractorguy » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:39 am

I use the Chrome browser on all my devices and it reliably synchronizes my ~4000 bookmarks everywhere pretty much instantly. They are available on my Pc, Chromebook, tablet or phone. I can even log on to a walk up PC at the public library and my bookmarks are there. I used to use Firefox but migrated to Chrome because of its native ability to synchronize.

For organization, I have 9 sites I go to every day plus a Financial and an Other folder on my bookmark bar. In the financial folder, I subdivide it as needed so that I don't have more than 10 bookmarks in each folder and don't have more than 10 folders. In my "other" folder, I categorize things by subject such as Travel, various hobbies, etc. and sometimes have duplicate bookmarks in different folders so that I can find them under that subject heading. If I get more than 10 bookmarks in a folder, I'll generally start creating subfolders or try to re-organize.

Some of my bookmarks are probably dead but it's kind of like having stuff in the attic of a house you've lived in for 50 years. Until you need to clean it out for other reasons, there isn't really any motivation to clean out old folders of bookmarks as there is no cost to keeping them around.
Lorne

simple man

Post by simple man » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:46 am

I added the Pocket add on to my FF. It has worked great so far. Of course, it is just a bookmark also and thus you run the risk of your page not being there when you want to reference it again. For really important stuff, I may save it as a pdf...

DiamondplateDave

Post by DiamondplateDave » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:07 pm

I use Firefox Sync, in the Preferences->Sync tab in Mac OS. My bookmarking needs are much lighter than yours, but I have not noticed any problems with it. I have about 15 years worth, maybe...1000? Every so often, I back the bookmarks up to a file with my contacts and Thunderbird mail, say once a year.
I sync across three Macs at home, and a Mac and a Windows 7 machine at work. I don't have FF on my iPhone, so I don't know how well it might work on that.

JohnFiscal

Post by JohnFiscal » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:13 pm

I tend to use Excel for everything. I'll have some sort of project, work or personal, and I'll create an Excel workbook, put notes in it, calculations, paste in graphics, and put in links to related sites. Works for me. Project examples are studies for Medicare, Social Security widow benefits, engineering (work) research, home related stuff, anything.

kayanco

Post by kayanco » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:45 pm

My suggestion:

Don't do anything special.
You don't need to, in my view.
ust save your bookmarks in Chrome and it'll keep them synced and backed-up.
When you need to find a particular bookmark, just type the relevant words in the main bar and it'll show up.
e.g. type Wells Fargo and it'll show up. Type Expedia and it'll show up.

While saving, if you like you can also save a tag/identifier for a category in the name field. e.g. "Bank" for any bank related sites, "Travel" for travel related, etc. Now when you type "Bank", it'll show all the bank sites.

Other than that, I'll suggest not implementing any complex organization scheme or apps, that'll keep your life simpler. Otherwise you'll spend a lot of time tinkering and it won't really be worth it.

You can even argue that you only need to bookmark a handful of the most frequently visited sites. Outside that you can google.

Just my opinion. Good luck !
Last edited by kayanco on Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

aj76er

Post by aj76er » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:02 pm

For bookmarks I use chrome with sync. But I generally don't bookmark much anymore.

Now I mostly use Evernote. You can store entire pages, or just the URL (bookmark) for reference.
"Buy-and-hold, long-term, all-market-index strategies, implemented at rock-bottom cost, are the surest of all routes to the accumulation of wealth" - John C. Bogle