Two Nights in Quebec City - Must See Suggestions, anyone?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
dowse

Two Nights in Quebec City - Must See Suggestions, anyone?

Post by dowse » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:09 pm

Hi all,

Taking a short trip with the DW up to Quebec City mid-month. We're only staying two nights, so we have limited time. I would appreciate restaurant and sightseeing suggestions for our short stay. Thanks!

tmhudg

Re: Two Nights in Quebec City - Must See Suggestions, anyone?

Post by tmhudg » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:13 pm

We liked the old town area. Lots of narrow streets and shops to poke around in. Also enjoyed Montmorency Falls just outside the city.

Pete12

Post by Pete12 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:33 pm

As you only have two nights I would stick to the old town area. The citadel and the Plains of Abraham can be explored in half a day. Check out the Chateau Frontenac as well which is close by. Be sure to ride the funicular too. We also did a walking food tour which was an enjoyable way to spend a few hours. On the whole though we focused on eating, drinking and enjoying the atmosphere. We dined at L'Affaire est ketchup, le Continental and Le Saint Amour. Drank at La Barberie which was a cool brew pub.

Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:42 pm

Pete12 wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:33 pm
As you only have two nights I would stick to the old town area. The citadel and the Plains of Abraham can be explored in half a day. Check out the Chateau Frontenac as well which is close by. Be sure to ride the funicular too. We also did a walking food tour which was an enjoyable way to spend a few hours. On the whole though we focused on eating, drinking and enjoying the atmosphere. We dined at L'Affaire est ketchup, le Continental and Le Saint Amour. Drank at La Barberie which was a cool brew pub.
Can't go wrong with Pete's post. As for food, won't offer a specific, but some of the finest cheese fondue I have ever eaten in Quebec City.

midareff

Post by midareff » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:44 pm

tmhudg wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:13 pm
We liked the old town area. Lots of narrow streets and shops to poke around in. Also enjoyed Montmorency Falls just outside the city.
Oh yes, old town, the cable car down and the amazing food.

Armada

Post by Armada » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:54 pm

When my wife and I visited, we stayed at Chateau Frontenac and loved it. The bar has great views over the St Lawrence Seaway. I hope you like mussels. It seems like they are on the menu everywhere.

Here's a couple of resources

NY Times - 36 hours in Quebec City
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/201 ... -city.html

National Geographic - Three days in Quebec City
http://www.nationalgeographic.com/trave ... rary-plan/

motorcyclesarecool

Post by motorcyclesarecool » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:39 pm

How to arrive: after crossing the St Lawrence on the Pont Pierre-Laporte, exit IMMEDIATELY on the right to Boulevard Champlain. Take that to the Lower City. Check out the port.

Buy a painting on Rue du Trésor. Check out the Montmorency Falls.
Take a drive around L'Île d'Orléans (like Québec's version of Martha's Vineyard)
Check out the farmers' market at the old port.
Take a ride as a passenger on the car ferry to get a nice view from the water.
Parking is expensive; try to stay somewhere walkable or figure out the bus system.
Wake up and smell the Alpo

Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:28 pm

Armada wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:54 pm
When my wife and I visited, we stayed at Chateau Frontenac and loved it. The bar has great views over the St Lawrence Seaway. I hope you like mussels. It seems like they are on the menu everywhere.

I see that my favorite hotel in Quebec (the Chateau Frontenac) has been mentioned several times. Suggest staying there for your two nights. It's definitely THE place to say in Quebec City AFAIC.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi

tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:14 am

Lots of great French food, hard to go wrong.
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.

dowse

Post by dowse » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:15 am

Mel Lindauer wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:28 pm
Armada wrote:

I see that my favorite hotel in Quebec (the Chateau Frontenac) has been mentioned several times. Suggest staying there for your two nights. It's definitely THE place to say in Quebec City AFAIC.
We're already booked at Hotel Port Royal. The Chateau Frontenac looks fantastic, but is over budget for us. Thanks for the suggestion to all those who mentioned it. Maybe we'll go there for a drink, though!

dm200

Post by dm200 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:46 am

tennisplyr wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:14 am
yes

dbr

Post by dbr » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:53 am

dowse wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:15 am
Mel Lindauer wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:28 pm
Armada wrote:

We're already booked at Hotel Port Royal. The Chateau Frontenac looks fantastic, but is over budget for us. Thanks for the suggestion to all those who mentioned it. Maybe we'll go there for a drink, though!
We were in another hotel for a couple of days and just walked into the Frontenac to see the place, took a flyer on asking if anything was available and got a great deal on a room that day. This was off-season, however. Good restaurants were readily available but would have been quite crowded on-season and perhaps difficult to get into.

Pete12

Post by Pete12 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:27 am

We had booked a regular room for our trip at the Chateau Frontenac. When we checked in there were a couple of problems with the room, so they upgraded us to the club level. Our new room was in one of the turrets at the top! It was a very cool experience. Don't miss the honey from the bee hives on the roof!

Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:28 pm

[/quote]

They also offer a tour which we found interesting enough to recommend...some interesting events happened there and they take you all through the building.

DTSC

Post by DTSC » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:50 pm

tennisplyr wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:14 am
The baguettes are to die for. I haven't been able to find anything close in the US. Happiness is a fresh out of the oven baguette.

dowse

Post by dowse » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:05 am

Thanks to all for the great suggestions. Sounds like we're going to wish we could stay longer.

Bammerman

Post by Bammerman » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:53 am

My wife and I spent some days in QC two years ago -- really enjoyed just walking around in the old city and using our rusty French, which the locals actually seemed to appreciate (and to enjoy).