Update (again): Amazon "Cyber Monday Deal": Instant Pot 6-qt $74.99 (Cyber Monday-Nov 27)

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
rjbraun

Update (again): Amazon "Cyber Monday Deal": Instant Pot 6-qt $74.99 (Cyber Monday-Nov 27)

Post by rjbraun » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:35 am

Instant Pot seems to get rave reviews here, so I figured I would highlight an Amazon Deal of the Day today, in case anyone is interested.

There's a companion cookbook offered as a "lightning deal" (looks like it will end around 1:30 p.m. ET today, unless supplies run out first).

Personally, I don't have an Instant Pot, though I probably will wait to buy one.

https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Pot-Mult ... XZB5SFXA2V

https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Pot®-Obs ... 3W178J6YY2

Edit: Tried to paste links that originated from Bogleheads.org, in an effort for Bogleheads to earn a tiny commission / rebate

***** UPDATE: For anyone who missed ordering (or just didn't order) the 6-quart Instant Pot earlier, Amazon is offering the 8-quart size for Black Friday at $81.99. *****

https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Pot-Prog ... AKC92ZENPG

I held off on getting one but am now debating whether to bite the bullet, in part based on personal positive feedback from an experienced amateur cook. According to camelcamelcamel.com $81.99 looks to be a price low.

I wonder whether the 8-quart size may be too big for my purposes, though. I would use the pot to prepare food for two but would also at times want to have enough for a decent amount of leftovers. Would the 6-quart meet my needs (recognizing Amazon no longer seems to stock this) or is the 8-quart size desirable? Thanks in advance for any input!
Last edited by rjbraun on Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

yukonjack

Re: Amazon "Deal of the Day": Instant Pot 6-qt $69.99 (Mon, Oct 2)

Post by yukonjack » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:45 am

Looks like a very good deal. It’s only $0.04 off the lowest price according to camelcamelcamel.

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:11 am

Great deal. We love our instant pot.

canderson

Post by canderson » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:43 am

Heard a lot about how great these are and my rice cooker just died so perfect timing. Maybe I can dump my old crock pot too.

Thanks, OP!

SurferLife

Post by SurferLife » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:51 am

canderson wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:43 am
Heard a lot about how great these are and my rice cooker just died so perfect timing. Maybe I can dump my old crock pot too.

Thanks, OP!
We actually prefer using a dedicated rice cooker, but because we are limited on kitchen space, we ditched a few appliance's when we got the instant pot and that freed up space. We ditched a crock pot, rice cooker and yogurt maker. We really like the instant pot though, but it's not perfect. If you want to create a tadiq layer on your rice, then you'll still want to get a dedicated rice cooker that has that setting.

wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:22 am

May be you bat your eye lashes at them? I wish I could do that with my beard :-)

Back to the topic; thanks OP I ordered the pot; now wondering if I really need to order the glass lid for it.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:25 am

Those things are kind of like the saying, "Jack of all trades, master of none." If you are tight on space, they are okay but if you have the room, I prefer to have a separate rice cooker, slow cooker and pressure cooker. Each individual one does much better jobs at their intended use, especially the rice cooker.

Ruger

Post by Ruger » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:39 am

Read about this at a different forum and just ordered one. My old crock pot needs replacing and I like the idea that this can serve multiple purposes.

Ruger

Post by Ruger » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:39 am

Read about this at a different forum and just ordered one. My old crock pot needs replacing and I like the idea that this can serve multiple purposes.

triceratop

Post by triceratop » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:46 am

I recently bought this new, classic crock pot for $8.00, including shipping, making for a 68% discount off of current amazon list price. There are many good deals on amazon if one is patient.
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:47 am

That's a good price. I paid around that at Kohl's having to use multiple coupons. I use mine a lot more than I thought I would. I actually got a 2nd one.

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:55 am

SurferLife wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:51 am
If you want to create a tadiq layer on your rice, then you'll still want to get a dedicated rice cooker that has that setting.
Hmmm, my new word for the day. Sounds yummy.

FedGuy

Post by FedGuy » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:46 pm

The deal had ended by the time I was able to sit down and place an order. Bummer.

Well, Cyber Monday isn't all that far away....

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:58 am

Is the Instant Pot just a lot of folks first introduction to pressure cookers, or why do so many people seem so amazed by it?

niceguy7376

Post by niceguy7376 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:51 am

My wife uses it everyday. It replaced her pressure cooker and rice cooker.

The main benefit of it is that it can be setup on Timer and your presence is not needed. You cant get that in a regular pressure cooker

wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:51 am

Have you tried to purchase a pressure cooker lately? Your name might get put on a list!

BeerTooth

Post by BeerTooth » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:26 am

Love our Instant Pot. Use it 2-3x a week.

I looked up my receipt from when I bought mine in February 2014 - paid $119.95 and that was a "good deal" back then. Consumer price deflation in action!

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:52 am

iamlucky13 wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:58 am
Is the Instant Pot just a lot of folks first introduction to pressure cookers, or why do so many people seem so amazed by it?
It is more automated than a stovetop version. It maintains the correct pressure without fidgeting with the burner. It also automatically goes into keep warm mode when done. I would never leave the house with a stovetop pressure cooker on but this I would. It has a delayed start feature. It also has other features (at least mine does) like using it to make yogurt, as a slow cooker or steamer.

fareastwarriors

Post by fareastwarriors » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:55 am

Darn, I was hoping to get one for a friend. I missed out on a great price...

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:05 pm

michaeljc70 wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:52 am
iamlucky13 wrote:
It is more automated than a stovetop version. It maintains the correct pressure without fidgeting with the burner. It also automatically goes into keep warm mode when done. I would never leave the house with a stovetop pressure cooker on but this I would. It has a delayed start feature. It also has other features (at least mine does) like using it to make yogurt, as a slow cooker or steamer.
I wasn't aware it had slow cooking or steaming functions, but the automated controls like you describe aren't new to pressure cookers for 20+ years.

I get the appeal of combining features, but the way I'm hearing people talk about these, I get the impression the main part of the hype is just coming from people who have never used a pressure cooker before.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:17 pm

iamlucky13 wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:05 pm
michaeljc70 wrote:
iamlucky13 wrote:
I wasn't aware it had slow cooking or steaming functions, but the automated controls like you describe aren't new to pressure cookers for 20+ years.

I get the appeal of combining features, but the way I'm hearing people talk about these, I get the impression the main part of the hype is just coming from people who have never used a pressure cooker before.
Did they have electric pressure cookers 20 years ago? How can a stovetop pressure cooker have "automated controls"? I mean, it cannot control the burner.

I agree and think many had never used one before. I used a stovetop model here and there. I think a lot of people have safety concerns with pressure cookers. I realize the newer stovetop models have a lot of safety features like the Instant Pot, but I think horror stories stick in people's minds from old stovetop models.

Whakamole

Post by Whakamole » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:20 pm

michaeljc70 wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:17 pm
Did they have electric pressure cookers 20 years ago? How can a stovetop pressure cooker have "automated controls"? I mean, it cannot control the burner.

I agree and think many had never used one before. I used a stovetop model here and there. I think a lot of people have safety concerns with pressure cookers. I realize the newer stovetop models have a lot of safety features like the Instant Pot, but I think horror stories stick in people's minds from old stovetop models.
I have a stovetop model and don't recall having a problem with it. But I also haven't used it since I bought an Instant Pot. Having one gadget is nice since I rarely need to use a pressure cooker/slow cooker/rice cooker/yogurt maker at the same time (maybe the only thing I'd like to do while my meal is cooking is make rice, but I can do that in a regular pot easily enough.)

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:47 pm

michaeljc70 wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:17 pm
iamlucky13 wrote:

Yep, they've been around that long. I remember when either my youngest sibling, who is 19, or it might even have been the second youngest was born, a family friend brought a ready-to-cook-meal over for us in her electronic pressure cooker. My mom was really impressed by it. Personally, I thought her stove top model was way cooler, with it's hefty weighted regulator and especially aweomse whistling it made (which of course, my mom hated).

Also, from a search:
https://books.google.com/books?id=4ZBCf ... 91&f=false

rjbraun

Re: Update: Amazon "Black Friday Deal": Instant Pot 8-qt $81.99 (Black Friday-Nov 24)

Post by rjbraun » Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:04 pm

Black Friday Amazon Deal, Nov 24:

Edit:
I wonder whether the 8-quart size may be too big for my purposes. I would use the pot to prepare food for two but would also at times want to have enough for a decent amount of leftovers. Would the 6-quart meet my needs (recognizing Amazon no longer seems to stock this) or is the 8-quart size desirable? Thanks in advance for any input!

retiredjg

Re: Update: Amazon "Black Friday Deal": Instant Pot 8-qt $81.99 (Black Friday-Nov 24)

Post by retiredjg » Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:14 pm

I don't know what size you need, but the 6 quart ones are still available. Scroll down and you'll find them. Maybe a different model number or something.

rjbraun

Post by rjbraun » Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:27 pm

retiredjg wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:14 pm
I don't know what size you need, but the 6 quart ones are still available. Scroll down and you'll find them. Maybe a different model number or something.
Thank you. I hadn't seen that, but the other 6-quart models cost more. Perhaps worth the higher price and I'm being Boglehead-ish about this and just want a deal :wink:, but I don't feel like dropping over 100 bucks.

Actually, it was a good thing to look at the models comparison. Now I recall that when I looked last time the 6-quart pot dimensions were just slightly too large to be able to fit in the cabinet I was thinking I would use. I think that was part of why I put the kibosh on a possible order.

Okay, may hold off again on ordering but would still appreciate any input on 6-quart vs. 8-quart question :?

Theseus

Post by Theseus » Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:30 pm

rjbraun wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:04 pm

Edit:
I wonder whether the 8-quart size may be too big for my purposes. I would use the pot to prepare food for two but would also at times want to have enough for a decent amount of leftovers. Would the 6-quart meet my needs (recognizing Amazon no longer seems to stock this) or is the 8-quart size desirable? Thanks in advance for any input!
Can’t answer your question. But I was waiting for 8 qt deal. So just bought this one. Thank you 😊

rjbraun

Post by rjbraun » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:27 am

Theseus wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:30 pm
rjbraun wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:04 pm

Edit:
Can’t answer your question. But I was waiting for 8 qt deal. So just bought this one. Thank you 😊
Glad I was able to be helpful! Instant Pot 6-qt on sale again today (Monday, 11/27):

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NBKTPTS?ref=emc_b_5_t

Jackson12

Re: Update (again): Amazon "Cyber Monday Deal": Instant Pot 6-qt $74.99 (Cyber Monday-Nov 27)

Post by Jackson12 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:12 am

rjbraun wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:35 am
Instant Pot seems to get rave reviews here, so I figured I would highlight an Amazon Deal of the Day today, in case anyone is interested.

There's a companion cookbook offered as a "lightning deal" (looks like it will end around 1:30 p.m. ET today, unless supplies run out first).

Personally, I don't have an Instant Pot, though I probably will wait to buy one.

https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Pot-Mult ... XZB5SFXA2V

https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Pot®-Obs ... 3W178J6YY2

Edit: Tried to paste links that originated from Bogleheads.org, in an effort for Bogleheads to earn a tiny commission / rebate

***** UPDATE: For anyone who missed ordering (or just didn't order) the 6-quart Instant Pot earlier, Amazon is offering the 8-quart size for Black Friday at $81.99. *****

I held off on getting one but am now debating whether to bite the bullet, in part based on personal positive feedback from an experienced amateur cook. According to camelcamelcamel.com $81.99 looks to be a price low.

I wonder whether the 8-quart size may be too big for my purposes, though. I would use the pot to prepare food for two but would also at times want to have enough for a decent amount of leftovers. Would the 6-quart meet my needs (recognizing Amazon no longer seems to stock this) or is the 8-quart size desirable? Thanks in advance for any input!

I'd go with the 8 qt. We cook for 2 most of the time and freeze leftovers or make large batch chili or other recipes for easy entertaining.

The instant pot rescued us When both our cooktop and oven died within a month of each other We use it at least 3-4 times a week . You can brown hamburger or get a nice sear on stew meat before finishing the cooking under pressure. Using yesterday's menu as an example, I made a vegetable soup early in the day ( eaten with deli meat sandwiches and then I made chili for dinner.

One pot, no hovering, etc. However, when people write that they cook something in "5 minutes" the reality is that this usually excludes the time it takes for the pot to get to pressure (perhaps 10 minutes as well as any time spent releasing the pressure . ('you have the option of an instant or slow release)

Along with a toaster oven ( for steaks, pizzas, etc) and 2 cheap but great portable induction burners we don't miss our oven or old cooktop, even with occasional out of town guests which require us to serve larger meals.

There is a learning curve, just as with any appliance. I personally prefer to cook rice and pasta separately ( usually in a cooktop) and add it to instant pot spaghetti or other sauces. Some people cook both together in the instant pot. I prefer meat loaf in the toaster oven because of the glaze I use.

But...wow...have never made better stew, soup or chili recipes than in the instant pot and stews come out tender in record time.

You can find lots of online groups as well as You Tube videos to get you off and running with the Instant Pot. It's a game changer, at least for us.

Jackson12

Post by Jackson12 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:24 am

iamlucky13 wrote:
michaeljc70 wrote:
iamlucky13 wrote:

My mother had a traditional pressure cooker. Loved it.

This goes beyond that in many ways. It really becomes one pot cooking wen you can saute' your vegetables and meat a bit in the instant pot to get some extra depth if flavor and then finish by adding the rest of your ingredients and pressure cook it.

Because it is electric and can be be used as more than a pressure cooker but also with simply a glass lid and the "keep warm" function (there's a button for that) , I often make soups or stews and let then stay warm, reheating as needed ( there's another button for that) so we can eat at staggered times on busy days..or if friends and family will be dropping in throughout the day ( holiday season open houses, etc)

I avoid gadgets and gizmos but this is an exception. However, I'd explore online recipe groups as well as checking out online videos to see if this fits your lifestyle.

ResearchMed

Re: Update (again): Amazon "Cyber Monday Deal": Instant Pot 6-qt $74.99 (Cyber Monday-Nov 27)

Post by ResearchMed » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:32 am

I think "it's time" to get one of these :happy

What is the difference between the "Duo" and the "Lux" versions?

Are there other models to consider?

I'm looking at the 8 qt just now, given that we'd likely cook "extra", as usual.

And... is Instant Pot the best thing for steel cut oatmeal?
(Is there a way to set it up the night before, with a timer? Would having the oats and water "sit there" make it too mushy? That could defeat part of the advantage of the steel cut... the texture.)

Thanks.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

rjbraun

Post by rjbraun » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:08 am

Jackson12 wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:12 am

I'd go with the 8 qt. We cook for 2 most of the time and freeze leftovers or make large batch chili or other recipes for easy entertaining.
Thanks, Jackson12.

I was about to pull the trigger on the 6-quart model, as the kitchen cabinet I measured would seem to be just big enough to accommodate the unit. I don't have a lot of extra kitchen space and am kind of reluctant to get a larger pot, but I have a feeling if I go for it I should get an 8-qt model for the reasons you gave.

Ugh, not sure how to proceed here. I mean, if I go for the 8-quart model I will hold out for a sale as I am in no rush and don't even know how I will readily store it (though, in theory, can find a place with effort). The question is whether to just grab today's special which I think will fit in the targeted cabinet (and the 8-quart would not). :confused

Jackson12

Post by Jackson12 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:50 pm

rjbraun wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:08 am
Jackson12 wrote:

Thanks, Jackson12.

I was about to pull the trigger on the 6-quart model, as the kitchen cabinet I measured would seem to be just big enough to accommodate the unit. I don't have a lot of extra kitchen space and am kind of reluctant to get a larger pot, but I have a feeling if I go for it I should get an 8-qt model for the reasons you gave.

Ugh, not sure how to proceed here. I mean, if I go for the 8-quart model I will hold out for a sale as I am in no rush and don't even know how I will readily store it (though, in theory, can find a place with effort). The question is whether to just grab today's special which I think will fit in the targeted cabinet (and the 8-quart would not). :confused
I think you'll be fine with either model.
Because we have guests over the holidays I often cook ahead and freeze larger portions.

Right now I have a large acorn squash in the 8 qt instant pot and white it takes up a fair amount of space ( halved , dusted with cinnamon and lightly buttered inside ), I could easily slice it in smaller pieces and use a 6 qt .

To compare the time difference between oven and instant pot, I set a timer for 30 minutes so I could see how long it took the instant pot to get to pressure, cook, and have the squash ready to serve.

I set the instant pot to "cook for 5 minutes", added a cup of water, put the squash on a trivet over the water ( most instant pots come with a trivet) .

It took 10 minutes to reach sufficent pressure and then there was the 5 minutes of actual cooking time. I then waited 4 minutes and used the "quick release method" to release the rest of the pressure.

It was perfectly cooked. Less than 20 minutes. Definitely quicker than my oven. Some day I might do a quick broil in the toaster oven if I want the top bowned...but not today. I'm tired, lazy, and... hungry.

I think a pressure cooker really shines when it comes to veggies like beets, winter squash and tough cuts of meat. I prefer my own make ahead mac and cheese ( no boiling of pasta before cooking in oven) . But that's just a personal preference.

This is an adaptable appliance. Far better than I expected, that's for sure, probably because I'm wary of the latest popular kitchen gadget. But after a period of getting acquainted, I think the instant pot and I have bonded, At least for now it's pulling its load of meal time
cooking.

rjbraun

Post by rjbraun » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:45 pm

Jackson12 wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:50 pm
rjbraun wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:08 am
Jackson12 wrote:

Thanks, Jackson12.

I think you'll be fine with either model.
Because we have guests over the holidays I often cook ahead and freeze larger portions.

Right now I have a large acorn squash in the 8 qt instant pot and white it takes up a fair amount of space ( halved , dusted with cinnamon and lightly buttered inside ), I could easily slice it in smaller pieces and use a 6 qt .

To compare the time difference between oven and instant pot, I set a timer for 30 minutes so I could see how long it took the instant pot to get to pressure, cook, and have the squash ready to serve.

I set the instant pot to "cook for 5 minutes", added a cup of water, put the squash on a trivet over the water ( most instant pots come with a trivet) .

It took 10 minutes to reach sufficent pressure and then there was the 5 minutes of actual cooking time. I then waited 4 minutes and used the "quick release method" to release the rest of the pressure.

It was perfectly cooked. Less than 20 minutes. Definitely quicker than my oven. Some day I might do a quick broil in the toaster oven if I want the top bowned...but not today. I'm tired, lazy, and... hungry.

I think a pressure cooker really shines when it comes to veggies like beets, winter squash and tough cuts of meat. I prefer my own make ahead mac and cheese ( no boiling of pasta before cooking in oven) . But that's just a personal preference.

This is an adaptable appliance. Far better than I expected, that's for sure, probably because I'm wary of the latest popular kitchen gadget. But after a period of getting acquainted, I think the instant pot and I have bonded, At least for now it's pulling its load of meal time
cooking.
I guess I will ponder the buy decision a bit longer today and just take my chances that supply will still be available if and when I decide to get it. I am leaning to giving it a try, and the smaller unit should work well enough for my purposes. If it turns out to be as wonderful as people seem to think and I need a larger unit, I'll just get it then (and donate or give away the 6-quart unit). It just seems easier to deal with the smaller unit (smaller footprint, less bulk and lighter weight, etc.), to start.

Thank you for the additional input.

Jackson12

Post by Jackson12 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:59 pm

Glad to have helped. If you happen to use Facebook or YouTube, you can find groups and/or videos of the various sizes of pots as well as basic cooking techniques and many, many recipes.

I understand your mixed feelings. I regret ever purchasing a crock pot but I have friends who have remained avid fans of theirs. Similarly, the instant pot won't work for everyone.

rjbraun

Post by rjbraun » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:00 pm

Jackson12 wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:59 pm
Glad to have helped. If you happen to use Facebook or YouTube, you can find groups and/or videos of the various sizes of pots as well as basic cooking techniques and many, many recipes.

I understand your mixed feelings. I regret ever purchasing a crock pot but I have friends who have remained avid fans of theirs. Similarly, the instant pot won't work for everyone.
Well, looks as if I missed the buying window for now; no more offered at the Deal of the Day price. Had decided mentally to buy, but I'm really not sure I would have actually proceeded with the purchase. Just don't feel I have the time now to figure out how to use the pot. I still have the scanner everyone raves about sitting around and should just use any free time to work on that project. I don't need another device to figure out, so I guess it was right to hold off after all.

I like the idea of checking out group or videos on Facebook / YouTube. That should be my first step before deciding to buy an Instant Pot. Thank you for that! :happy

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:30 pm

triceratop wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:46 am
I recently bought this new, classic crock pot for $8.00, including shipping, making for a 68% discount off of current amazon list price. There are many good deals on amazon if one is patient.
Not clear what the fascination is with instant pot? I too have a standard crock pot, works fine. :happy

Maybe they'll come out with a WIFI crockpot with a 'live view' via phone app of your roast cooking while one's at work....