Boston to Bar Harbor trip

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
hoops777

Boston to Bar Harbor trip

Post by hoops777 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:09 pm

I had a topic about our upcoming trip a couple months ago,and was given so many great recommendations about what to see and where to stay.We are leaving this Friday,and would really appreciate restaurant ideas.My life loves seafood so that would be number one and maybe some pizza and dessert places or anything unique.We are looking for casual and not high priced :D
We have 3 days in Boston and 3 days in Bar Harbor,1 night each in Portsmouth,Portland,North Conway,Rockport and Manchester.
Also wondering how the fall colors are doing.
Thanks!
K.I.S.S........so easy to say so difficult to do.

motorcyclesarecool

Re: Boston to Bar Harbor trip

Post by motorcyclesarecool » Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:44 pm

They cancelled the foliage this year. Leaf peepers can all stay home. :mrgreen:

We were in Bar Harbor this summer. Where you want to go will depend on how much you want to spend and how much adventure you wish to undertake.

If it's open, you may wish to consider the Islesford Dock restaurant on Little Cranberry Island. Getting there on a tiny passenger ferry or private boat won't be easy or cheap but it will be interesting and in clear weather the views are incredible.

In downtown Bar Harbor and want a good, decent restaurant? Try the Side Street Cafe.

Parking at the National Park is scarce in the summer. You may wish to rely on the shuttle. The popovers at the Jordan Pond House are pretty "meh" but I had an incredible scallop dinner.

If you or one of your party likes social media, stop at the Facebook savvy Bangor Police Department for a photo with the Duck of Justice.
Wake up and smell the Alpo

Dantes

Post by Dantes » Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:52 pm

hoops777 wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:09 pm
Also wondering how the fall colors are doing.
Thanks!
Colors are late this year. I am in Maine this weekend and there is the merest hint of color in the trees. Usual the peak color is in another week or two but I doubt that for this year.

motorcyclesarecool

Post by motorcyclesarecool » Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:08 pm

Between Manchester and Boston, stop in Nashua and check out Lui Lui Italian restaurant and pizza. They're an Upper Valley institution that has migrated south to greater Boston. Casual and moderate.

motorcyclesarecool

Post by motorcyclesarecool » Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:25 pm

In Boston area check out Orinoco for Venezuelan food. I love Rosa Mexicano. (They'll partially validate your parking) Get the BestParking app to not get slaughtered on parking in Boston.

hoops777

Post by hoops777 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:55 pm

motorcyclesarecool wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:25 pm
In Boston area check out Orinoco for Venezuelan food. I love Rosa Mexicano. (They'll partially validate your parking) Get the BestParking app to not get slaughtered on parking in Boston.
Thanks for the suggestions,but not sure if I want dining suggestions from someone with your Alpo tag line :D

friareye

Post by friareye » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:35 pm

Portsmouth, NH = go over to Kittery, ME to Black Birch. I live here. No reservations, casual, great beer list. My favorite restaurant. New American style. Get the 3 deviled eggs app, it doesn't matter what they are (it always rotates), the flavors are always more than you expect. https://www.theblackbirch.com

Portland, ME = Even Tide Oyster Co. 2 chefs there just won the James Beard Award. Again, casual. http://www.eventideoysterco.com/portland/

Enjoy!

RedClay

Post by RedClay » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:59 pm

While you're in Boston, you should hop across the river and head to Cambridge - home of Harvard and MIT. Based on your cheap and casual criteria, the best place to go is Flat Patties. It's a burger joint in Harvard Square, and it has the best burgers I have ever tasted. They are also cheap by Cambridge standards - about $4 for a quarter pounder. If you're feeling indulgent after the burger, you could go to L.A. Burdick for hot chocolate. It's a little pricey at $5 for an 8 oz. cup, but it is amazing hot chocolate. L.A. Burdick has ruined hot chocolate for me because anything else is far inferior.

Have fun!

motorcyclesarecool

Post by motorcyclesarecool » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:33 am

hoops777 wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:55 pm
Thanks for the suggestions,but not sure if I want dining suggestions from someone with your Alpo tag line :D
It's a line I dropped in a posting some time ago, that started to get quoted, so I decided it was my claim to fame. It is not a reflection on my diet. :wink:

nimo956

Post by nimo956 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:07 am

In the Boston area, the following are good places to eat (these are my personal favorites, so aren't always close to the tourist areas):

Oleana- Turkish
Sarma- also Turkish (same owner as above)
Suvaai- South Indian (very fresh ingredients)
Chili Garden- Szechuan, very spicy
Mama Maria- Italian, a little pricey
Taranta- Italian, slightly less pricey than above
Cafe Sushi- sushi
Tenoch- Mexican (order at counter)
Shangri-la- Taiwanese (have good brunch)
Mandarin Malden- also very good Taiwanese
Ming's Seafood- Chinese, good seafood and prices
Sichuan Gourmet House- Chinese, good seafood

For seafood in Boston, the best prices will be in Chinese restaurants. The places I've recommended are slightly outside of the city, but Peach Farm in Chinatown for example, has good twin lobster.

For Bar Harbor, my best meals weren't at restaurants. There are lobster bakes at people's homes (you'll see signs on the road). Sit down at the picnic table and order some fresh lobsters, mussels, corn on the cob, and blueberry pie, cooked right there. I think dinner for two (two whole lobsters) was about $30. It was so good and cheap that I ate at the same place every night.
50% VTI / 50% VXUS

dpm321

Post by dpm321 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:12 am

I'm typing this from the White Mountains. I can confirm an earlier post on the foliage changing late this year. The last week has been in the high 70s to low 80s which has really confused the trees. While there is some slight and occasional color in the lower areas, it looks like peak color is a good two weeks off.

bluebolt

Post by bluebolt » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:07 am

nimo956 wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:07 am
In the Boston area, the following are good places to eat (these are my personal favorites, so aren't always close to the tourist areas):

Oleana- Turkish
Cafe Sushi- sushi

For seafood in Boston, the best prices will be in Chinese restaurants. The places I've recommended are slightly outside of the city, but Peach Farm in Chinatown for example, has good twin lobster.

For Bar Harbor, my best meals weren't at restaurants. There are lobster bakes at people's homes (you'll see signs on the road). Sit down at the picnic table and order some fresh lobsters, mussels, corn on the cob, and blueberry pie, cooked right there. I think dinner for two (two whole lobsters) was about $30. It was so good and cheap that I ate at the same place every night.
Great list. For Sarma, you likely need reservations far in advance, but it's really good.

I would add Giacomo's - it's Italian and they have a location in the North End and one in the South End. Really good and reasonably priced. I would go to the South End one because they have valet parking and take reservations. You can order their pasta with whatever seafood you want - scallops, shrimp, mussels, clams, calamari

For seafood in Boston, Neptune Oyster and Island Creek Oyster Bar are a little on the pricy side, but good, especially if you like oysters. Check them out on Yelp to see if you're interested.

Saltie Girl is new, located downtown and is a pretty different vibe. I had an excellent meal there including seafood and a burger. It's not cheap and it's kind of small, but I really enjoyed the meal.

I haven't eaten at any of the places at the following Yelp link, but it's what you get if you search for cheap seafood in Boston. Some are very highly rated:
https://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=B ... ston%2C+MA

hoops777

Post by hoops777 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:10 pm

Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:33 am
hoops777 wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:55 pm
It's a line I dropped in a posting some time ago, that started to get quoted, so I decided it was my claim to fame. It is not a reflection on my diet. :wink:
I already wrote down your suggestions and thanks again :sharebeer

hoops777

Post by hoops777 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:16 pm

nimo956 wrote:

Oleana- Turkish
Cafe Sushi- sushi

Thanks for the list.
Wow,so in Bar Harbor people have lobster bakes at their homes?Interesting.Can you get it as take out?

nimo956

Post by nimo956 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:40 pm

hoops777 wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:16 pm
nimo956 wrote:

Oleana- Turkish
Cafe Sushi- sushi

Thanks for the list.
Wow,so in Bar Harbor people have lobster bakes at their homes?Interesting.Can you get it as take out?
You should be able to get it to go, though I can't remember for sure. You eat on the lawn outside of their homes. Choose your lobsters from a big tank and they boil them in a few minutes. Very fast, simple, and delicious.
50% VTI / 50% VXUS

veggivet

Post by veggivet » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:46 pm

Just returned from Acadia, and only around 5-10% of the leaves have started to change. Sorry I don't have any dining recommendations for you, as my name implies, I eat a plant-based diet. You can check out yelp and trip advisor to see the latest reviews on restaurants on your list.

hoops777

Post by hoops777 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:58 pm

We will be in Acadia the 12th,13th and 14th and N .Conway the 15th so hopefully it will be pretty good by then.

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:28 pm

hoops777 wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:58 pm
We will be in Acadia the 12th,13th and 14th and N .Conway the 15th so hopefully it will be pretty good by then.
I have been following your threads with interest as I noticed we would be covering some of the same ground. Turns out we will be in Bar Harbor the same days as you.

We were in North Conway for a couple of nights two years ago and on the recommendations of some locals we met along the way, we had dinner one evening at http://www.moatmountain.com/. It wasn't quite what we were expecting, but we found it to be very good. And crowded. We also enjoyed the drive up Mt Washington, but if you will be doing that, I would advise getting there very early as it was very crowded later in the day.

Hoping the leaves cooperate with our timing!

veggivet

Post by veggivet » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:04 pm

hoops777 wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:58 pm
You should have peak conditions. Enjoy!

fishmonger

Post by fishmonger » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:01 am

friareye wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:35 pm
Portsmouth, NH = go over to Kittery, ME to Black Birch. I live here. No reservations, casual, great beer list. My favorite restaurant. New American style. Get the 3 deviled eggs app, it doesn't matter what they are (it always rotates), the flavors are always more than you expect. https://www.theblackbirch.com

Portland, ME = Even Tide Oyster Co. 2 chefs there just won the James Beard Award. Again, casual. http://www.eventideoysterco.com/portland/

Enjoy!
+1 on both of these spots! I would also recommened J's Oyster in downtown Portland if you want a classic New England dining experience on the water (nothing fancy)

dowse

Post by dowse » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:41 am

While in North Conway, consider Flatbread Company for pizza. All fresh ingredients. Informal and easy on the budget. Great selection of beers. We usually order a salad for a starter. You can watch them bake the pizzas in wood-fired ovens.

Edited so I could add Portsmouth - Our favorite seafood chowder anywhere is at the River House in downtown Portsmouth. They advertise it as "award-winning", and I believe it. Just a few doors down from there is Surf Restaurant, a little more towards the fine-dining end. For informal dining, consider the Portsmouth Brewery brew-pub.

dowse

Post by dowse » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:58 am

More N. Conway info - we spend a lot of time there and are pretty familiar with most of the restaurants. I already mentioned Flatbread Company for pizza. Someone else mentioned Moat Mountain, which is also an excellent choice if you want a brew-pub. For breakfast, our favorite is Priscilla's Country Kitchen. The most popular breakfast place in town is Peaches, but it's usually overcrowded. Priscilla's is close by, not as crowded (usually) and better in my opinion. I've heard good things about the Sunrise Cafe in Bartlett, but haven't been there. For Thai food, we like Taste of Thai. For higher end, we especially like Cresh's Italian Country Kitchen and White Mountain Cider Co. South of Conway in the town of Tamworth, we like Hobbs Tavern, but that's a little out of the way for you.

A leaf-peeping option that doesn't take much time is to drive up Cathedral Ledge just of West Side Road. There is an open summit scenic overlook there.

Have fun!

Washingtonian

Post by Washingtonian » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:27 am

If you travel through Belfast, ME - Chase's Daily is where we have lunch on every trip to MDI. (I created an account just to recommend this restaurant to you.)

hoops777

Post by hoops777 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:55 am

Washingtonian wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:27 am
If you travel through Belfast, ME - Chase's Daily is where we have lunch on every trip to MDI. (I created an account just to recommend this restaurant to you.)
Wow.Thanks.I will see if we are going that way.

hoops777

Post by hoops777 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:56 am

Thanks for all of the posts so far.Keep them coming because I am sure they are helping out a lot of people besides me :D

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:17 am

Washingtonian wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:27 am
Thanks from me as well. We will definitely be driving through there on the way to MDI, and I have added this to my itinerary as a possible lunch stop.

Yiewsley

Post by Yiewsley » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:16 pm

Wells, ME
The Steak House (Rte 1) - dinner only

Portland area
Becky's Diner is a good old school diner
Miss Portland Diner near I-295 side
Lobster Shack in Cape Elizabeth near the Portland Head Light (closes Oct 22)

Bangor
Dysart's Truck Stop (not kidding!)

LoveMyDog

Post by LoveMyDog » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:13 pm

Sorry, I cannot recommend Eventide. Those who can get in and had a great experience, good for you! However, I wouldn't recommend spending time waiting for seating while on a trip. They don't take reservations. We were there at 9pm and the wait was 3 hours.

Go if the menu sings to you, but make sure you have a back up plan. They will put you on a waiting list system which you can check the status / number of people ahead of you online.

niceguy7376

Post by niceguy7376 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:23 pm

veggivet wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:46 pm
Sorry I don't have any dining recommendations for you, as my name implies, I eat a plant-based diet. You can check out yelp and trip advisor to see the latest reviews on restaurants on your list.
Hi Veggivet, Do you have any recommendations on any cafes/restaurants that you go to? Would love to get a list of those

LoveMyDog

Post by LoveMyDog » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:30 pm

If you love oysters, there are plenty of places around Boston that does $1 shucks. My personal favorite so far is State Street Provisions.
https://boston.eater.com/maps/dollar-oysters-boston

Bistro du midi's desserts are prepared very nicely - their chocolate souffle is divine. The upstairs is for business dining, but the lower level is quite casual.

Summer Shack is standard New England seafood fare.

WhyAmos

Post by WhyAmos » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:25 pm

Boston- Cantina Italiana on the north end I feel was better than Giacomos. I liked going to Yankee Lobster Company which is right next to Harpoon Brewery.

Portland- I like Duckfat and visiting Shipyard Brewery.

Bar Harbor- 2 cats Inn and cafe, but there is a line and it starts early. There a lot of great places for lobster on the water as well.

Have a great time!

rockylou

Post by rockylou » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:01 pm

There are many great restaurants in Portland. DiMillos is very good for seafood and is on the waterfront. Black Point Inn at Prouts Neck in Scarborough (5 or so miles south of Portland) is very nice and a beautiful setting on the water, they close 10/27 for season (if you like to hike, there is a beautiful cliff walk starts on their property). Also, we love the mussels and other seafood at Dockside grill in Falmouth ((just few minutes north of Portland). In Bar Harbor, you can select your lobster to be cooked on the waterfront, near Harborside hotel, our favorite place to stay. Yes foliage is late this year but should be good in another week or two. We plan to head up there in few weeks too. Gorham Mt has great view of foliage and is not a difficult hike (across from thunder hole on the park loop road). The carriage roads will have beautiful foliage too.

hoops777

Post by hoops777 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:30 pm

Thanks everyone.Flying tomorrow but will be checking in for any other ideas. :D

dowse

Post by dowse » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:51 am

Foliage seemed like it started early this year, but then slowed down due to unseasonable warmth, and is now running slightly late. The "peak" we always hope for may be a little more spread out over time. The best color on your route is likely to be in the N. Conway and White Mountains. While people strive for "peak" foliage, you can find isolated spots anywhere with a stand of trees or even a single tree with intense saturated color. Here is a link for foliage reports that may be helpful:

https://newengland.com/seasons/fall/fol ... liage-map/

Welcome to New England. There is no place on earth I'd rather be this time of year.