Oil stains: How to treat?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
JKD GUY

Oil stains: How to treat?

Post by JKD GUY » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:23 am

I've had a slow oil leak from my truck that I haven't been able to find. There are some spots on my concrete driveway for the past 4 months I'm wanting to see if I can get rid of or reduce. I initially tried with krudcutter and a wire brush which worked a little bit. I've heard trying acetone, TSP, or drylok etch are good ideas. Has anyone had any experience with this?
"Dishonest money dwindles away, but whoever gathers money little by little makes it grow" Proverbs 13:11

TXWill

Re: Oil stains: How to treat?

Post by TXWill » Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:43 pm

Tried TSP. Tried acetone and cement poultice. Reduced but did not eliminate completely.

Toons

Post by Toons » Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:51 pm

I would start with Kitty Litter,
It has worked for me :happy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQakmTb3Zqg
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:31 pm

I've used kitty litter in garage with decent success. It didn't get lily white, but it did make a big difference. I've used on driveway sometimes also with success, but we don't get much rain here; not sure how it would do in a wetter area.

General Disarray
Location: Body in the east coast, but heart in the west coast

Post by General Disarray » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:23 pm

I have used assorted methods for oil stains on concrete garage floor:

1) cat litter--> soaks up some of the oil, but does not remove the stain.
2) baking soda and vinegar
3) mineral spirits
4) dish detergent, followed by boiling water, then scrub with a wire brush --> rinse with more boiling water.

I believe #4 worked best, but I'm not sure because I tried each method in immediate succession of each other.

Nectarineman

Post by Nectarineman » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:29 pm

JKD GUY wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:23 am
I've had a slow oil leak from my truck that I haven't been able to find. There are some spots on my concrete driveway for the past 4 months I'm wanting to see if I can get rid of or reduce. I initially tried with krudcutter and a wire brush which worked a little bit. I've heard trying acetone, TSP, or drylok etch are good ideas. Has anyone had any experience with this?
How warm is it where you live? To soak up as much oil as possible kitty litter stomped on thoroughly is the first step. Then rinse and let dry.

After that, use Terminator HSD. It actually works if the temperature is above 60. I was skeptical and tried detergents and everything else. All else helped but left a big outline.

Spread Terminator HSD around the spills with a broom and in a few weeks it will be gone. It is basically bacteria. Seriously.

celia

Post by celia » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:44 pm

I hose down the oil spots, then immediately sprinkle kitchen cleanser on it (the type with bleach in it). Let it sit overnight, then rinse off.

I suppose you don't need to let it sit that long (especially if an animal could come near it), but that's what I've done.

CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:13 pm

I've had pretty good luck with a product called Oil Eater. I had a tiny leak after an oil change; I was able to quickly spray and wipe every couple of days until I figured out what the problem was - a technician at a quick-lube place had not wiped down the area properly after changing the oil. One little spray and the oil pretty much dissolved.

As with most cleaning agents, I'm sure it's most effective when applied relatively soon after a spill.

http://a.co/5LKyxk3

dratkinson

Post by dratkinson » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:52 am

I remember having *good* results using Simple Green, but don't remember if all the oil was perfectly removed.
d.r.a, not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor, you are forewarned.

Traveller

Post by Traveller » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:40 am

I bought a bottle of stuff at Home Depot that did a pretty good job on a stain on my driveway. I think it was called Oil Grabber. You pour it on the stain and it dries to a white powder that you sweep off. That got most of it, but I followed up with some general degreaser (simple green?) poured on and pressure washed off.

dwickenh

Post by dwickenh » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:11 am

Back in the day when I worked at a gas station during the oil embargo, we used a little gas on the oil stains, scrubbed with a brush, rinse and then oil dry/kitty littler. Tip, no smoking during this process!!

Dan
The market is the most efficient mechanism anywhere in the world for transferring wealth from impatient people to patient people.” | — Warren Buffett

rustymutt

Post by rustymutt » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:18 am

For small spots I use Goof Off spray, then immediately mop that up with a paper towel, and repeat. Then put down powered concrete on top of the spot. In a day or 2 after sweeping up the concrete, you can't see any difference. Sealing the garage floor also helps with cleanup.
I'm amazed at the wealth of Knowledge others gather, and share over a lifetime of learning. The mind is truly unique. It's nice when we use it!

gasdoc

Post by gasdoc » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:43 am

rustymutt wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:18 am
For small spots I use Goof Off spray, then immediately mop that up with a paper towel, and repeat. Then put down powered concrete on top of the spot. In a day or 2 after sweeping up the concrete, you can't see any difference. Sealing the garage floor also helps with cleanup.
We had the garage floor sealed in our Florida home, thinking renters may dirty the floor. Everything has been easy to clean on that floor after having it sealed.

gasdoc