Bed Pillows

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Esther

Bed Pillows

Post by Esther » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:52 am

Husband and I are in mid 80's and have gone through a number of bed pillows. Currently we have pillows with down and are very uncomfortable. They go flat. We have had foam pillows some years ago. I researched Amazon and saw a pillow made by COOP. It had excellent reviews but was a little more expensive then some. Have any Bogleheads have experience with this pillow? Don't want to waste our money on something that won't be comfortable. Thanks for any advice.

marc515

Re: Bed Pillows

Post by marc515 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:18 am

I'm 66 and the Coop "Eden" pillow is the best pillow I've ever owned. Have had it for about 6 months now, and no neck pain! My wife also has one and loves it.

Yes, it's a little expensive, but well worth it.

Highly recommend!

m

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:23 am

Esther wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:52 am
Husband and I are in mid 80's and have gone through a number of bed pillows. Currently we have pillows with down and are very uncomfortable. They go flat. We have had foam pillows some years ago. I researched Amazon and saw a pillow made by COOP. It had excellent reviews but was a little more expensive then some. Have any Bogleheads have experience with this pillow? Don't want to waste our money on something that won't be comfortable. Thanks for any advice.
once they go flat, stuff 2 flat ones into each pillow case.

Dude2

Post by Dude2 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:41 am

Esther wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:52 am
They go flat.
Wash down pillows in washing machine (assuming the tag say you can), and then dry them in the dryer on low/delicate heat with a tennis ball in the dryer. It takes a long time to dry, and is quite noisy. I find it rejuvenates the pillows successfully.

gasdoc

Post by gasdoc » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:47 am

I like the COOP pillow.

gasdoc

mbres60

Post by mbres60 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:53 am

I have a foam rubber pillow I bought years ago at Walmart. Still using it. Doesn't go flat.
Last edited by mbres60 on Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

sevenseas

Post by sevenseas » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:54 am

I've been sleeping on the COOP pillow for well over a year now. It is nearly everything advertised: supportive, comfortable, adjustable. Probably one of the best pillows I've owned (prior to this bought cheaper random brands that inevitably went flat.) However, I have noticed it going flat more often in recent months. A short spell in the dryer plumps it up considerably, but for shorter and shorter periods each time. Back to the drawing board for me...may try a buckwheat pillow next.

p14175

Post by p14175 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:49 am

I found that a pillow with polyester cluster fiber worked best for me. I bought mine from a Little Pillow Shop.

Almost there

Post by Almost there » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:14 pm

Have used buckwheat pillows for +15 years and loving them. Originally saw them advertised on QVC and a co-worker highly recommended it. Since then I have purchased them from Amazon. I buy two cheap pillow cases with zippers and stuff one with the buckwheat. Then put it into another pillow case. You have to decide how much to stuff it. I usually use about 2-3 lbs. After about 2-3 year it goes a little flat and I add more buckwheat. Recognize that it'll make a little noise for the first week but it'll give you a good night's sleep.

Impromptu

Post by Impromptu » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:52 pm

My wife got me a pillow similar to the highly advertised "My Pillow", with all the little clumpy pieces inside of it. Prior to this I would sleep on my side and my top arm would fall asleep each night. Since getting this pillow I still sleep on my side, but my arm no longer falls asleep.

For a while I did the full support with pillows with 2 under the head, one under the axilla (putting less pressure on my down arm), one between the legs, and several to hold up the arms. That was nice, but took a lot to set up. And again, my arm no longer falls asleep with just the one pillow.
I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today.

CABob

Post by CABob » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:56 pm

DW and I have had My Pillows for a couple of years and are very happy with them. The concept seems to be similar to the COOP pillows.
I must admit that I am getting a bit tired of their commercials however. :annoyed
Bob

Misenplace

Post by Misenplace » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:14 pm

Any pillow with memory foam will compress. The coop pillow contains shredded memory foam. (I wonder where is is sourced and why it is shredded?)
Pillows made out of latex foam are far more resilient than any petrochemical-derived foam such as memory foam. In my experience, memory foam compresses within a year, while latex takes many, many years to lose its spring. Also, since latex is made primarily from the sap of the rubber tree, I would rather rest my head on it than a foam made from petrochemicals. Foam Sweet Foam makes a nice latex pillow. Be sure to protect it from light (use several covers)- UV light will biodegrade latex.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:24 pm

Ah pillows. Like most, we've tried expensive, mid range, all types, sizes and materials.

Currently we use a pair from Costco that were $9.99 for the pair. They have chunks of memory foam in them.

For that price, I had to try. So far, they are holding up. Each morning I give them a "fluff" and they are ready for sleep the next evening.
"People want confirmation, not advice" Unknown | "We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you" Unknown | Four words. Whole food, plant based. Bing it.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:32 pm

I have a bunch of pillows, including down, feather-down mixture, down surrounding memory foam, artificial down, polyester fiberfill that doesn't claim to be down-like. I have tried pillows stuffed with wool, buckwheat hulls, shredded memory foam, latex, shredded latex. I have even experimented with putting two down pillows or a down and memory foam pillow in the same zippered protective case to create a custom pillow.

Down pillows have to be fluffed at least daily. If they are not fluffing up, they are either not good quality down or very old. If they are not dense enough, they don't have enough fill.

The first thing to know is that you have to choose a pillow appropriate for the way you sleep: back, stomach, side, or combo. I sleep on my side and will sleep on my stomach occasionally but not on my back. The pillow that I use is a dense memory foam pillow that is contoured for side-sleepers so it is has a notch to accept the shoulder and still support the head and neck at the right height. It came in three depths, and you need to get the right size, too. Unfortunately the pillow I use is no longer sold and there are none very similar, although there are contoured pillows for side-sleepers that are somewhat similar on the market.

The distinguishing factor about the COOP pillow you asked about is that the fill is adjustable. They are throwing in a lot of irrelevant adjectives and descriptive phrases. (Rayon material is nothing special and the fact that it is made of cellulose from bamboo as opposed to another source means nothing. The FTC has cracked down on claims of material being made of bamboo. https://www.ftc.gov/bamboo-textiles At least that manufacturer or seller is following the law even if they are still trying to convince consumers that rayon made of bamboo is special.)

I don't really like any pillows with chunks of anything in them but if there is enough padding in the cover, it might be okay, or you might not mind chunks. However, I think you would be better off getting a pillow that has the right amount of fill in the first place.

Maybe you could say what is wrong with the pillow you have as far as comfort and what it is that you are looking for as far as comfort.

Topic Author
Esther

Post by Esther » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:40 am

I want to thank all the Bogleheads who responded to my request for advice on purchasing bed pillows. After extensive research on the Internet and a visit to our local mattress store, we opted for the Coops pillows. They should arrive on Monday. Hopefully we will enjoy sleeping on them.

mouses

Post by mouses » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:43 am

Misenplace wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:14 pm
The coop pillow contains shredded memory foam. (I wonder where is is sourced and why it is shredded?)
Maybe the foam used is a byproduct of some other process.

cal91

Post by cal91 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:34 am

Esther wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:40 am
I want to thank all the Bogleheads who responded to my request for advice on purchasing bed pillows. After extensive research on the Internet and a visit to our local mattress store, we opted for the Coops pillows. They should arrive on Monday. Hopefully we will enjoy sleeping on them.
Looking to buy a pillow and thinking of the Coop. Any follow up on how the pillow has been?

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:40 am

WonderSleep pillows are a Cyber Monday deal at Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/WonderSleep-PREM ... 59I&sr=8-2

We have these on all our beds. Adjustable fill level. Very comfortable. Price is for 2 pillows.
"People want confirmation, not advice" Unknown | "We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you" Unknown | Four words. Whole food, plant based. Bing it.

PhilSarah

Post by PhilSarah » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:54 am

DW loves her MyPillow but it’s too high for me. We went through a series of pillows from Costco but I haven’t found “the one” yet. Please let us know how the COOP pillow works out.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:15 pm

PhilSarah wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:54 am
DW loves her MyPillow but it’s too high for me. We went through a series of pillows from Costco but I haven’t found “the one” yet. Please let us know how the COOP pillow works out.
I like myPillow too.

Post by 1789 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:48 pm

Do something good for yourself and buy from tempurpedic.
"My conscience wants vegetarianism to win over the world. And my subconscious is yearning for a piece of juicy meat. But what do i want?" (Andrei Tarkovsky)

7eight9

Post by 7eight9 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:04 pm

Airweave --- https://www.airweave.com/products/pillow

I slept on a Tempurpedic pillow for the past ~25 years. Loved it. And the mattress. Then I discovered the Airweave Pillow. Haven't looked back. When we move we will buy an Airweave mattress. Yes. It is that good.
I guess it all could be much worse. | They could be warming up my hearse.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:17 pm

I will have to look into this as I get neck pain.
John C. Bogle - Two Fund Portfolio: Total Stock & Total Bond. "Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

Theseus

Post by Theseus » Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:36 pm

bloom2708 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:40 am

We have these on all our beds. Adjustable fill level. Very comfortable. Price is for 2 pillows.
How long have you been using them? And some negative reviews on Amazon indicate horrible smell? What's that like?

Teague

Post by Teague » Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:09 pm

My solution to the injustices imposed upon us by the pillow industrial complex:

I buy them a dozen at a time from a linen supply company that sells to small and mid-sized hotels. About once a year each pillow gets replaced. Sometimes I give new pillows as presents to others, which they seem to really appreciate.
Semper Augustus

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:03 am

Theseus wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:36 pm
bloom2708 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:40 am

How long have you been using them? And some negative reviews on Amazon indicate horrible smell? What's that like?
Almost 1 year. A very faint smell when new. I put each set in the dryer on low heat for 30 min. Then adjust fill to your level. I took maybe 5 handfuls out of each pillow.

They come with a can to store the fill. Fluff back up if ever needed. Best pillow we have found. Kids all have 2 on their beds too. College kid took a pair to college.

Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples » Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:28 am

A good night's sleep is almost priceless. Two years ago I needed a new pillow. For years, I had been able to find a foam pillow from Sears but its not available anymore. I tried Casper pillows which sank flat when my head rested on it - no cruel jokes about a fat head please - I tried My Pillow which felt like soft marbles. I tried down. In the end, I found a foam pillow at Big Lots for $10 which was perfect. I got two but alas, they don't - not surprisingly - carry it anymore. My point is that one simply doesn't know where the "most perfect" pillow can be found.