Caught by speed camera

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
temco_rep

Caught by speed camera

Post by temco_rep » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:34 pm

Today as I was going through my mail, I was greeted with a $100 speeding ticket along with a picture of the back of my car and license plate. I was in East Liverpool, Ohio going to a High School football game and was traveling 62 in a 50. It was definitely me and I'm not denying it, I'm just asking the board if anyone has received one and did you simply pay it and move on? If there's anything positive about this form of punishment, it's the fact that the ticket is not reported to the state of Ohio nor my insurance company. So if I understand this correctly and as it's explained in the letter, no points and no threat of insurance increase.
The Police dept is delighted as this rings the register with more revenue. I am a fan of the Police and respect them, but this form of a bust still doesn't feel too good.

Thoughts?

CaliJim

Re: Caught by speed camera

Post by CaliJim » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:39 pm

My first thought was "pay it' and move on.

But then... I find it strange that it won't be reported to DMV and no points charged. Is that standard? Where do you send the check.... is it totally legit?

Maybe I should setup a speed camera and PO box, and start sending out 'invoices'. Plenty of speeders in my neighborhood!
-calijim- | | For more info, click this Wiki

dwickenh

Post by dwickenh » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:41 pm

Stay under 10 over the speed limit, check the law in Ohio for information about the legality of camera tickets. Some states are reversing their prior laws allowing photos tickets to be nullified. . Find out the process if you don't send your 100$ in right away. Do they really pursue you for the money?

Good luck to you,

Dan
The market is the most efficient mechanism anywhere in the world for transferring wealth from impatient people to patient people.” | — Warren Buffett

CurlyDave

Post by CurlyDave » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:59 pm

Unless they have a picture of the front of your car, unambiguously showing your face, they really have not met any standard of proof.

Of course if you have admitted it was you, they meet that standard.

You have a presumption of innocence, and I would have not admitted anything and contested it.

Ron Scott

Post by Ron Scott » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:01 pm

Federal, state and local governments track our movements continually and electronically, as the old punchline goes, because they can.

Many communities have removed these cameras because of pressure from citizens. Call your representatives and threaten to vote them out of office if they continue the Big Brother show. It may very well work.

For your current ticket, best to pay and move on.

docbrown

Post by docbrown » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:04 pm

If it's not reported to the state or to your insurance company, maybe that's because the ticket is not legally defensible.

I think the person who was driving the car should pay the ticket. And I think that you should tell the town to kindly provide evidence proving who was driving the car, and then they should send the ticket to that person, who may or may not be you. If you don't just ball it up and toss it in the trash, that is.
Roth was a Senator, not an acronym. Please, stop writing it in all caps.

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:10 pm

Here are a few ideas based on my limited knowledge:
- A couple years ago, my adult son got 3 tickets from newly installed cameras on his way to work before realizing what was going on. He checked the box that he wanted to challenge it (hearing, whatever) and sent it in. Turns out so many people did that, the government threw out all the tickets for people who challenged them because they did not have adequate resources to hear the challenges. True story.
- There is currently a case in Iowa where a $75 ticket has been appealed all the way to the Iowa Supreme Court. The basis for the appeal was that under the Iowa constitution, only the police have authority to give the tickets, and these were processed by a private company. The police think they got around this by having an officer rubber stamp each ticket that is processed by the private company that operates the camera system. The court has not ruled yet. I think a decision is months away. You can google it. A side note on this case...The camera system is set up to ignore cars with Iowa government license plates, so police and state employees won't be ticketed by the system if they are in a state licensed car.

If you have the time, I would challenge the ticket. If you get to the court and they ask what your basis is, I would say the ticket was not given by a police officer. Somewhere along the way, someone may offer to reduce the charge or fine. It cannot hurt.

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:11 pm

docbrown wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:04 pm
If it's not reported to the state or to your insurance company, maybe that's because the ticket is not legally defensible.
It is not reported to the insurance company because they do not know who the driver is. They only want your money.

health teacher

Post by health teacher » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:30 pm

Route 11/30 speed trap, hiding in some grassy knoll probably. Contest it. Its ridiculous through there. Hiding and snapping pics, it really boils my blood on my way to work in the AM. I see them 3-4 days a week.

If they don't have your face, it was your cousin, brother, etc. The chief might throw it out. This debate is all the rage in ELO. Don't speed in Wellsville either. They give you 8 over.

What game were you headed to?
Last edited by health teacher on Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:36 pm

CurlyDave wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:59 pm
Unless they have a picture of the front of your car, unambiguously showing your face, they really have not met any standard of proof.
I agree with everyone who say the constabulary need to prove it was YOU behind the wheel.
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect

texasdiver

Post by texasdiver » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:37 pm

Just because it isn’t reported to the DMV or your insurance company doesn’t mean they can’t squeeze you for the $$$ and turn it over to a collections company and land you in collections company and credit agency hell if you don’t pay.

I would pay it and move on. Unless you are a natural gadfly type who delights in challenging this sort of thing. I have no time or energy for that sort of thing.

TropikThunder

Post by TropikThunder » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:43 pm

CurlyDave wrote:
Camera-tickets are treated as civil infractions like parking tickets and toll-road violations: there is no obligation on the part of law enforcement to prove anyone in particular was driving the car. All responsibility is on the registered owner, which is how they knew where to mail the ticket. Would you refuse to pay a parking ticket that your spouse got while driving your car?
docbrown wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:04 pm

I think the person who was driving the car should pay the ticket. And I think that you should tell the town to kindly provide evidence proving who was driving the car, and then they should send the ticket to that person, who may or may not be you. If you don't just ball it up and toss it in the trash, that is.
Unfortunately, that's not how it works (see above). The owner of the car is the owner of the ticket, regardless of who was driving. That's why it can't go on the owner's driving record or insurance history, because they don't need to prove who was driving.
BolderBoy wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:36 pm
I agree with everyone who say the constabulary need to prove it was YOU behind the wheel.
No, they don't. If they wanted to assign criminal liability (and assign points to your driving record and report it to insurance), they would. But these are civil, not criminal (see above).

avalpert

Post by avalpert » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:46 pm

They don't need to prove it was you driving. It is a civil fine, not a criminal charge. In many locales (I don't know all) it is a viable defense that you were not the driver if you also identify who was and they transfer the fine to them.

You can look into the appeal process for where you got the ticket - if it requires anything more than a written appeal I wouldn't bother, pay for the crime you acknowledge committing and move on with your life.

health teacher

Post by health teacher » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:50 pm

I doubt it goes to collections. They are splitting 50/50 with the camera company. They are raking in the revenue, I doubt either party wants to go to collection over $50 which will net them, what, $30. They allegedly brought in like 80k in revenue from these tix the first few months.

Sad really, our in school PO presence is way down. I would see ELPD in school every day. Now I only see them on the way to and from work.

temco_rep

Post by temco_rep » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:54 pm

Thanks all.

Health Teacher-
I'm from Boardman and 15 yr old daughter is in the HS band. My wife and I drove to
the Boardman/ Steubenville football game to watch. ( we lost...lol)

Folks, more to this....I live an hour away from this town and its not going to be worth
driving down to a Mayberry RFD courtroom and try to fight this (no offense Teacher)
I just don't have the time for 100 bucks. I would love to just throw it in the trash, but again, they probably
found a way to penalize folks that don't pay.

livebelowmeans

Post by livebelowmeans » Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:23 am

Some states require you to be personally served, otherwise you can disregard. Look into Ohio and see if this is the case. Then it is the likelihood that you think they will drive an hour to serve you vs. your $100. If it is a small town, wouldn't put it past so may be worth just paying. If I lived in WA, I'd throw it in the trash.

westcoast

Post by westcoast » Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:45 am

Where I am from the only person responsible for the ticket is the person who was driving the vehicle. The cameras take a picture of the driver, front license plate and the rear plate also. We only have cameras for running traffic lights not for speeding in my state. The program is out sourced to a private company who sends the police department photographs of the traffic violation and pictures of the driver. A police officer reviews the photos to confirm a violation and then checks the license plate through the department of motor vehicles to get the name of the registered owners of the vehicle. The officer then checks the photograph of the driver committing the violation with the photographs of the registered owners of the car that DMV has from their driver license data base. If there's a match and a confirmed the violation the police officer signs the ticket and its mailed to the person who was driving the car. If the person pleads not guilty there is a trial an the officer produces the photographs as evidence and then the judge rules. I have never heard of just sending a ticket to a registered owner of a car. We have two cars and there are two registered owners for each one. Someone has to decide which one gets the ticket.

wander

Post by wander » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:23 am

It happened to my when I drove in Washington DC, I paid and moved on. BTW, there were a lot of cameras there.

Billionaire

Post by Billionaire » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:57 am

I've received two of these. I pay them immediately and tell myself to pay more attention to speed limits and obey other rules of the road.

oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:59 am

CaliJim wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:39 pm
My first thought was "pay it' and move on.

But then... I find it strange that it won't be reported to DMV and no points charged. Is that standard?
Not unheard of. Some time back I got nailed by one of these cameras for an illegal turn. While I don't know about DMV, my violation was not reported to my insurance company. (I paid the ticket and moved on.)
It’s taken me a lot of years, but I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people. And if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you.

sport

Post by sport » Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:07 am

If you do not pay the ticket, the state may not want to renew your vehicle registration the next time it expires. If that happens, you will have to pay anyway, plus a late fee.

Swansea

Post by Swansea » Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:17 am

I've received a couple of photos of the back of my car from these cameras. There are 167 of them in my county in Maryland, and the ones in my town of 34,000 bring in over one million dollars.
I just paid the 40 bucks, got no points and my insurance company was not notified. Maryland holds the owner of the car responsible. While there is much complaining about the cameras, I have not heard of anyone successfully challenging them.

Cheyenne

Post by Cheyenne » Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:46 am

I find it strange that it won't be reported to DMV and no points charged.
That's how they do it. I got one in MD for $40.00. A few years ago my nephew was stopped by the police in Mexico and the officer told him if he paid the fine there in cash there wouldn't be a report of it. Perhaps that's where they got the idea.

b.lock

Post by b.lock » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:01 am

Here's what my "friend" did with the last couple of speed camera incidents in Arizona...
  • Covered his face with his hand, while wearing sunglasses, when going past a speed camera. The camera flashed, but no ticket was ever delivered.
  • Received the "ticket" in the mail. It was very scary sounding and asked for him to go to court, but also asked for him to sign the ticket and confess that it was he who was caught by the speed camera and not somebody else. Pretty soon after that, he lost the ticket, or maybe the dog ate it... who can say? The ticket could be looked up online in the county's website, and 90 days after the "court date" written on the ticket you could see that it was dismissed by a judge. As far as I know, no attempt was ever made to serve my friend in person, though this may be because he lives 30 minutes out of the city and has a couple of large, loud, dogs.
  • My friend's wife was driving his car. He got his ticket in the mail and signed it saying it wasn't him who was driving, and that he had no idea who the driver was. Ticket went away.
Basically, unless you get served, there is a good chance you can ignore the ticket. That said, I am not a lawyer. Also I am just reporting on the experience of those around me, not giving moral advice one way or the other.

tigerdoc93

Post by tigerdoc93 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:45 am

You were speeding. You got a ticket. Pay the ticket. No big deal.

TIAX

Post by TIAX » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:03 am

CurlyDave wrote:

You have a presumption of innocence, and I would have not admitted anything and contested it.
Please don't give out bad advice. The ticket is issued to the registrant of the vehicle and, unless the car was driven without permission (stolen, etc.), the identity of the driver is generally irrelevant.

FS51

Post by FS51 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:03 am

A few years ago I got a collection notice from a company in DC that I owed 250 for getting caught by a speed camera 2 years prior. The car was a rental while I was in DC for work. I knew nothing of the ticket until I got the collections notice. I'm assuming it took a long time for them to track me down as it was a rental and I had moved states (twice I think) in the time the infraction occurred and the time I received the notice. I looked at my credit report and in fact they dinged me and brought my score down. I called the company thinking it was a scam or something but it wasn't and they were extremely rude. They finally said if I paid they would remove the ding on my report. After debating what to do, I paid it, and shortly thereafter it was removed from my credit report and my score went back up.

I still find the whole ordeal disgusting. I actually had to look through past emails to determine that I was in fact in DC at the time with a rental... Crazy.

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:14 am

b.lock wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:01 am
Here's what my "friend" did with the last couple of speed camera incidents in Arizona...
  • Covered his face with his hand, while wearing sunglasses, when going past a speed camera. The camera flashed, but no ticket was ever delivered.
  • Received the "ticket" in the mail. It was very scary sounding and asked for him to go to court, but also asked for him to sign the ticket and confess that it was he who was caught by the speed camera and not somebody else. Pretty soon after that, he lost the ticket, or maybe the dog ate it... who can say? The ticket could be looked up online in the county's website, and 90 days after the "court date" written on the ticket you could see that it was dismissed by a judge. As far as I know, no attempt was ever made to serve my friend in person, though this may be because he lives 30 minutes out of the city and has a couple of large, loud, dogs.
  • My friend's wife was driving his car. He got his ticket in the mail and signed it saying it wasn't him who was driving, and that he had no idea who the driver was. Ticket went away.
Basically, unless you get served, there is a good chance you can ignore the ticket. That said, I am not a lawyer. Also I am just reporting on the experience of those around me, not giving moral advice one way or the other.
Excellent way to 'save' money - cover your face while speeding.

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:18 am

I say you pay it for $100. If you think it is legit. It sounds like it is.

I don't like such cameras anymore than anyone else. But you were speeding. Don't speed, problem eliminated.

They know where you are, so if you don't pay, the fine will double and it will likely go to collections. A collection company will pay some amount for the right to pester you with letters. Just because some portion of people will eventually pay.

They'll never sue to collect, but you'll probably get letters for 2-5 years.

But it doesn't sound like they can really make you pay it. If I was 20 and $100 meant a lot to me, I would probably not pay and toss the collection letters But now, I'd probably pay, move on, and not speed.

JT

midareff

Post by midareff » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:37 am

In Florida we have firms that specialize in beating tickets. They have catchy names like "Ticket Clinic" and such. They also have success rates that are about 99% and charge about $99 to defend a ticket. I'd pay them before I create a speeding ticket record, regardless of whether they say they don't track or report tickets. FWIW, in Florida it's mandatory to be at least 5 mph over for a speeding ticket.

MikeWillRetire

Post by MikeWillRetire » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:33 am

Here in Maryland, I actually got a speed camera ticket for going 38 mph! This was a 4 lane roadway where the speed limit was 35 mph, but it drops down to 25 mph in front of a school. Unless you look at every speed limit sign as you drive, you can get caught. It's nuts.

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:41 am

there are a few threads on this topic on the board in the past year.

some states have deemed these cameras unconstitutional.

9liner

Post by 9liner » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:48 am

midareff wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:37 am
FWIW, in Florida it's mandatory to be at least 5 mph over for a speeding ticket.
Just remember: There is no true exemption for "at least 5 mph over". Florida has absolute speed laws. That means exceeding the speed limit is illegal per se regardless of whether or not it is safe. The police can absolutely stop you, however, they are not permitted to issue citations for less than 5 mph outside of a school zone. I urge you all to research your individual state's speed laws and camera laws.

As stated by other posters, in states with traffic infraction cameras that are unable to positively identify the driver, the infraction is treated as a civil violation. In Maryland for example, the cameras are contracted out to a private vendor. A police officer is required to review and certify every violation prior to the citation being issued. In Maryland law, the burden of proof rests upon the registered owner of the vehicle to prove they were not operating the vehicle at the time of the infraction.

What I have always found interesting, is that this is the only place in our justice system where the burden of proof rests solely on the defendant and not the prosecution. It's absolutely backwards if you ask me. The citations are very difficult to fight in court and the fines are set, such that, individuals are more apt to just "pay the ticket" than try and fight it in court. Civil infractions have no effect on your driving record and are not reported to your insurance company; However, failure to pay will result in a flag on the registered owner's MVA file. The registered owner will not be able to renew their license, registration, etc. until such time the flag is lifted.

Iliketoridemybike

Post by Iliketoridemybike » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:56 am

I got one a few years ago. I paid it and now pay more attention to my surroundings. I still laugh when I see the photo van ahead and the guy next to me flies by. FLASH!

Toons

Post by Toons » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:16 am

I got one in Tn.
50 bucks.
I know it was me driving
I paid it :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:25 am

This has been a hot issue in Ohio and the Ohio Supreme Court ruled against restrictions the state tried to place on municipalities this summer:

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ss ... -ligh.html

There is a lot of information available on the internet about these tickets in Ohio. The answers here from lawyers indicate that it is a civil matter and no warrant will be issued but that you might have a judgement filed against you for the fine:

https://www.avvo.com/legal-answers/i-li ... 74145.html

According to this post on the East Liverpool Citizens Against Traffic Cameras Facebook page, you can ask for an administrative hearing but if you claim that you were not driving, you have to identify the actual driver:

https://www.facebook.com/saynototraffic ... 5662914403

I agree that this type of automated enforcement of traffic rules by cameras monitoring behavior is unsettling, basically dystopian science fiction become reality. No officer of the law or judge is involved. You might want to join the fight against it in your state.

Blueskies123

Post by Blueskies123 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:50 am

midareff wrote:
In Florida we have firms that specialize in beating tickets. They have catchy names like "Ticket Clinic" and such. They also have success rates that are about 99% and charge about $99 to defend a ticket. I'd pay them before I create a speeding ticket record, regardless of whether they say they don't track or report tickets. FWIW, in Florida it's mandatory to be at least 5 mph over for a speeding ticket.
I have used the TC a few times, mostly because I was working long hours and just did not have time to deal with the ticker. I could be wrong but I do not think they "beat the ticket". I am pretty sure it is still on your record, you just do not get points which is what the insurance company watches. The Clinic cost me almost as much as the ticket itself.

It is only a $100, life is short, and my conscious would bother me so I would just pay it.
Last edited by Blueskies123 on Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Blueskies123

Post by Blueskies123 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:51 am

Pajamas wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:25 am
This has been a hot issue in Ohio and the Ohio Supreme Court ruled against restrictions the state tried to place on municipalities this summer:

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ss ... -ligh.html

There is a lot of information available on the internet about these tickets in Ohio. The answers here from lawyers indicate that it is a civil matter and no warrant will be issued but that you might have a judgement filed against you for the fine:

https://www.avvo.com/legal-answers/i-li ... 74145.html

According to this post on the East Liverpool Citizens Against Traffic Cameras Facebook page, you can ask for an administrative hearing but if you claim that you were not driving, you have to identify the actual driver:

https://www.facebook.com/saynototraffic ... 5662914403

I agree that this type of automated enforcement of traffic rules by cameras monitoring behavior is unsettling, basically dystopian science fiction become reality. No officer of the law or judge is involved. You might want to join the fight against it in your state.
Wow, this is a lot of work for $100.

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:54 am

I got a $200 one once.
If you did the crime then pay the fine.

rustymutt

Post by rustymutt » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:02 am

Thanks for being honest about it. I'm no angel, as I've received more than my share of speeding tickets. But I learned fast as a young man that you pay a price for ignorance of the speed limits, and now pay attention to my speed. I've 1 ticket in the last 39 years. Seems to me that the police don't have enough officers nowadays to do only citations, as speeding abounds around me here in OK. Rush hour is like a NASCAR event. In fact the HWP recently had their daily mileage allowance set at 100 miles to save the government money. Hard to enforce speed limit laws without officers out and about. More local enforcements are using cameras for this civil duty. If cuts to law enforcement continues, we'll be seeing more accidents, and cameras set up to curtail the problem. My advice is to pay the ticket and let it be a listen learned about speed limits. Good luck.
I'm amazed at the wealth of Knowledge others gather, and share over a lifetime of learning. The mind is truly unique. It's nice when we use it!

BogleBoogie

Post by BogleBoogie » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:18 am

temco_rep wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:34 pm
Today as I was going through my mail, I was greeted with a $100 speeding ticket along with a picture of the back of my car and license plate. I was in East Liverpool, Ohio going to a High School football game and was traveling 62 in a 50. It was definitely me and I'm not denying it, I'm just asking the board if anyone has received one and did you simply pay it and move on? If there's anything positive about this form of punishment, it's the fact that the ticket is not reported to the state of Ohio nor my insurance company. So if I understand this correctly and as it's explained in the letter, no points and no threat of insurance increase.
The Police dept is delighted as this rings the register with more revenue. I am a fan of the Police and respect them, but this form of a bust still doesn't feel too good.

Thoughts?
My first thought is that is a great deal! Obviously unfortunate in terms of having to pay anything, but my wife got hit with a red light ticket and it cost over $500. That one stung a bit! I admire your reasonable efforts to look into options and information while at the same time not trying to place blame on others.

mdrinkard

Post by mdrinkard » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:22 am

Change your behavior, don't speed.

A total of 35,092 people died in motor vehicle crashes in 2015. The U.S. Department of Transportation's most recent estimate of the annual economic cost of crashes was $242 billion dollars. 1 Contributing to the death toll are alcohol, speeding, lack of safety belt use and other problematic driver behaviors.
http://www.iihs.org/iihs/topics/t/gener ... lity-facts

Angelus359

Post by Angelus359 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:34 am

In my state, camera based tickets were ruled unconstitutional by the Illinois supreme Court

All red light camera tickets are now void. We didn't have speed based camera tickets.
IT-DevOps System Administrator

S&L1940

Post by S&L1940 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:51 am

Blueskies123 wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:50 am
midareff wrote:
I have used the TC a few times, mostly because I was working long hours and just did not have time to deal with the ticker. I could be wrong but I do not think they "beat the ticker". I am pretty sure it is still on your record, you just do not get points which is what the insurance company watches. The Clinic cost me almost as much as the ticket itself.
It is only a $100, life is short, and my conscious would bother me so I would just pay it.
In our area they have suspended the turn on red cameras in most communities because of all the contested tickets - like only the police can issue a ticket. The local authorities had made it really tough to contest by charging court costs and raising the fine if you lost your case. Enough people took up the challenge that, so far, one by one, the cameras went dark.
Don't it always seem to go * That you don't know what you've got * Till it's gone

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:57 am

$100 for a speeding ticket and no points or report to insurance is a bargain.

I would try to buy futures at that price.

chevca

Post by chevca » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:15 am

tigerdoc93 wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:45 am
You were speeding. You got a ticket. Pay the ticket. No big deal.
This ^^

Don't go 62 in a 50. And, don't come to the Boglehead courtroom for advice. There's only a couple posts worth a darn in this one.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:19 am

CurlyDave wrote:

In my state (Illinois), they cannot film the front of your car with these cameras for privacy reasons. It doesn't have to be you. It is your car. Just like with a parking ticket. That is why they don't report it for points.

lyrictulip

Post by lyrictulip » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:20 am

My personal theory about speeding cameras is that they exist in a kind of unstable equilibrium wherein just about everybody agrees that they primarily serve as a revenue generating device for the city, but tolerate them so long as they are not sufficiently aggravating to stimulate general public action against them. As long as you can just pay it and move on with your life, no one bothers to fight.

However, if speeding cameras had any lasting effects, such as if they caused your insurance rate to go up or points to appear on your driving record, people might get more angry about them and do something about it.

Thus, we are left in this weird situation where you get a "ticket" but no other consequences that would otherwise accompany speeding. It makes no legal sense, but it maintains the status quo.

Just a theory...

asdfgf

Post by asdfgf » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:22 am

I got one of these once, but there was an error. The photo was of my car, but the intersection they said it took place at was at the other side of town. Clearly it was some sort of error on their part. I'm pretty sure that with that I could have fought it successfully, but the cost of the time spent was far greater than ~$100.

If it would have lead to increased insurance rates, points on license or other adverse consequences, then I absolutely would have fought it. But if the only downside is that I'm out $100, then that is definitely the cheapest and easiest option.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:39 am

This thread has run its course and is locked (general rant, legal advice). See: Acceptable Topics and Subforum Guidelines
This is an investing and personal finance forum. We also maintain a subforum that allow our members to discuss consumer goods and services and recreational activities. Anything else is considered "Off Topic" and is not acceptable on this forum.
Also see: Personal Consumer Issues
Note that this subforum has a much lower threshold for locking or removing posts than the financial and investing subforums. In general, controversial, offensive, pointless, divisive or mean-spirited posts or topics may be locked, edited or deleted (with or without notice) at the discretion of the moderating staff even if they do not otherwise violate forum policies.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.