Need compact point and shoot camera recommendations

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Infomom2

Need compact point and shoot camera recommendations

Post by Infomom2 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:59 pm

I am looking to buy a compact point and shoot camera. I would mostly be taking pictures of my kids, and some nature shots. My son plays soccer, so would love a decent zoom. OTOH, I do blow pictures up sometimes. My current camera is a Sony cybershot that is 15 years old. I love the camera, but need something that is less big, bulky, and weighs less. My phone is a cheap windows phon. Although I would be willing to buy an expensive phone for the camera, I think it makes more sense to just get the camera, as I have no other need for an expensive phone and don't want the camera to become outdated if I can't get the latest updates, etc.
My budget would ideally be around $500, but I am willing to spend above $600 if it really means a great camera that both has good zoom and good quality pictures.

The cameras most consistently recommended to me are the Sony HX90 (for the zoom, but some say its not good for blowing up pictures) or something in the Sony Rx100 series (which reportedly does not have good zoom). I have also wondered about the Canon 720.

Any recommendations?

OneWorld111

Re: Need compact point and shoot camera recommendations

Post by OneWorld111 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:05 pm

I think sony alpha series is a good one, I had some of the same requirements.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:18 pm

Shared experiences to benefit all -- not an exspurt -- per forum guidelines :) Golf score allocation 50/50 swings vs putts.

nanoanalyzer

Post by nanoanalyzer » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:57 pm

http://snapsort.com/

My favorite camera decision-making tool.
"If you think stocks are like physics, you believe there must be smart people who can measure exactly where the Dow Jones Industrial Average will be in five months." -Morgan Housel

alex_686

Post by alex_686 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:21 pm

The Light's l16 has been getting good reviews.

https://light.co/

52 megapixals, 16 lens, ability to correct the focus after the shot, a mere $2000, etc.

aristotelian

Post by aristotelian » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:27 pm

Not a compact, but we have a Sony mirrorless Interchangeable Lens that we have been very happy with in that price range. We have one of the NEX line along with the E-mount zoom lens.

They are a little complicated to use but would blow away most any point and shoot. If you are OK with point and shoot, you might as well use your phone, in my opinion.

Looks like you could get the a5000 with additional 210mm zoom if you stretch your budget.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... gital.html

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:42 am

The Canon Powershot Elph is a great little camera that'll fit in your pocket if you want something that small. Price is under $300. The Canon Powershot G series is a great camera that can almost do what an SLR will do, but it's not cheap (almost as much as an SLR).

Infomom2

Post by Infomom2 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:06 am

Thanks so much for the recommendations! I am really stuck! Is there such a thing as a camera store that lets you try cameras anymore? Or at least has knowledgeable staff on hand to tell you realistically what you can expect from a camera? I live in a small city, and we don't have anything like that, but I can drive!

Here are some more details. I definitely want to keep it under $700 and prefer under $500. I do want light and compact. I don't care about the video quality, don't care about gps, don't care about date/stamp. My old Sony DSC-H5, does just fine by me in terms of its images; I just don't lug it around anymore. It seems like the compact cameras seem to have a trade off; you either get good high quality images (that I can blow up) or good zoom, but not both. I am wondering if my standards are lower, though because the camera I have only has a 12x zoom and I am happy with it. I think I may be missing things in terms of the other qualities that help make the zoom work well, though.

I tried the snapsort tool, but in the end it gives me the trade-offs I describe. What would probably be best if is if I could find someone who knew the cameras who could tell me which one would come closest for me. For me, this is a big purchase and one I want to last for a while..so I want to be sure.

ETA: It seems like I keep coming back to the Canon Powershot 720 vs the Sony HX 90 vs the Sony RX100 series. People seem sure that the Sony RX100s give the best picture quality, but don't do as well with the zoom..plus I'd rather spend less money if possible. The Sony HX 90 has the zoom, but some complain about the image quality, while the Canon Powershot 720 may be a good balance, but people tell me the other cameras are better!

RudyS

Post by RudyS » Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:41 pm

About trying out a camera: I found this from a Google search, no idea how good a vendor they are.

https://www.natcam.com/faqs/return-policy/

wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds » Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:56 pm

I don't believe you will go wrong with either of your choices. You seem to know what you want. Add Alpha series to the mix if you are ok with its size. Without going crazy with expensive lenses, the quality difference between your two choices and the Alpha will be quite moderate. I own A6000.

If you are looking for low light, big sensor size, good zoom, small form factor, moderate price you really will have to compromise on at least one of the factor and even then you will have limited choices.

Since you have been happy with your existing camera, you can stay with the same form factor and get the largest sensor size that you could get in that one.

aristotelian

Post by aristotelian » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:40 pm

One more thing. If you can't get to a store to try it out, one thing you can do is go on Flickr and do a search for "groups" using your camera model. Type the model you are interested in in the search box, then from the drop down select "groups". You will find thousands of photos being taken with that camera and get a good idea of what it's capable of.

Infomom2

Post by Infomom2 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:35 pm

Thanks for the great ideas, especially the flickr idea I do have one more question and I am hoping someone here can answer it. My old Sony has an optical zoom of 12x. It is fine for me. Does that mean that any camera with 12x or more would be good as far as the zoom (not image quality, which I know I need to look at separately)? Because if it does there is no need for me to get 30 or 40x, and I can get one of the cameras that boost image resolution as opposed to zoom.

wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:54 pm

Yes, that is correct

asterix0

Post by asterix0 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:36 pm

Look at the reviews at DPreview.com.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:08 pm

asterix0 wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:36 pm
Look at the reviews at DPreview.com.
+1
excellent site with non partial (no spin) reviews
Avoid camera review sites with tons of "click bait".
Also check out youtube camera reviews, DigitalRev, etc, etc.
Shared experiences to benefit all -- not an exspurt -- per forum guidelines :) Golf score allocation 50/50 swings vs putts.

AlphaLess

Post by AlphaLess » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:50 am

iPhone
Samsung

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:02 pm

aristotelian wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:40 pm
One more thing. If you can't get to a store to try it out, one thing you can do is go on Flickr and do a search for "groups" using your camera model. Type the model you are interested in in the search box, then from the drop down select "groups". You will find thousands of photos being taken with that camera and get a good idea of what it's capable of.
If you do this with enough cameras, you will find amazing photos taken with 15 year old budget point and shoots, mainly illustrating that the photographer and their ability to find situations that fit the capabilities of the camera (and usually at least do final edits, if not major corrections) are often the determining factor.

I actually do this from time to time to remind myself not to fall prey to "upgrade-itis," because I've already got a very competent camera and believe I should focus more on mastering photography in general than on spending money on a new camera.

I wouldn't really recommend it as a way of choosing a camera, although if you think you've found the model you want, it doesn't hurt to go browsing through photos others have taken with that camera for re-assurance.
AlphaLess wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:50 am
iPhone
Samsung
That does not cover what was asked for. The OP wants a pocketable camera with a decent zoom for getting photos of their kids playing sports. If they were just looking for normal snapshots, there's a strong case for upgrading the phone instead, but in this case I think they're on the right track.

One caveat, however, is point and shoots struggle in low light, especially at the longer zoom ratios. If your child's games are mostly at night, a mirrorless or budget SLR may make more sense.

Infomom2

Post by Infomom2 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:13 pm

Thank you! I have read Dpreview and other forums. We don't really have a local camera store, other than Shutterbug. Not sure how much help they will be, but I think I will try them. My main thing is that I am happy with the Sony DSC-H5 I have that is 11 years old (did some research to remember that and look at what people say about it) and all I want is something that can do what that camera does but is lighter...I just am not going to carry that camera around all of the time! Believe me, I am not one who upgrades easily.

I have beautiful 18x20 enlarged photos of my kids in trees that I took with that camera (that sounds kind of funny). They are hanging in my living room and I get compliments all of the time. The zoom worked great for what I needed. The specs are 12x for the zoom and and only 7 effective megapixels! Obviously there is something I am missing here, as the current cameras have specs way better than this. I am wondering if I need to go for a zoom in the 10x-12x as people seem to be saying that you lose the ability to get photos you can enlarge once you get to higher zooms.

The Canon SX-720 is remaining a contender, but it does have one of those megazooms and just don't know if the image quality would be good enough...I will see if I can find some photo samples on-line.

Jazztonight

Post by Jazztonight » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:15 pm

I recently came back from Morocco, where our group contained 15 people carrying a variety of cameras large, small, complex, and simple.

Comparing their photos to the ones I took with my iPhone 7plus, I'd have to say they were comparable, or mine were better. The iPhone 7+ optics and 2 lenses, plus the ability to quickly and easily zoom, go to video or slow motion, and make really nice edits on-the-fly make it a joy to have and use.

It's easy to quickly share or email photos, post photos to Facebook or Instagram, or compare to determine who got the best shot of somebody on a camel. That sort of thing. Virtually any waiter or tour guide in the world can take your picture without instruction.

Also, one less gadget to carry.
"What does not destroy me, makes me stronger." Nietzsche

barreg

Post by barreg » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:01 am

I bought the Panasonic ZS100 for an international trip and it worked well for me. I wanted a camera with a 1" sensor for good image quality, but also with a decent zoom and the ZS100 was the only camera at the time that fit the bill (10x zoom).

DetroitRick

Post by DetroitRick » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:22 am

Infomom2 wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:06 am
Thanks so much for the recommendations! I am really stuck! Is there such a thing as a camera store that lets you try cameras anymore? Or at least has knowledgeable staff on hand to tell you realistically what you can expect from a camera? I live in a small city, and we don't have anything like that, but I can drive!

Here are some more details. I definitely want to keep it under $700 and prefer under $500. I do want light and compact. I don't care about the video quality, don't care about gps, don't care about date/stamp. My old Sony DSC-H5, does just fine by me in terms of its images; I just don't lug it around anymore. It seems like the compact cameras seem to have a trade off; you either get good high quality images (that I can blow up) or good zoom, but not both. I am wondering if my standards are lower, though because the camera I have only has a 12x zoom and I am happy with it. I think I may be missing things in terms of the other qualities that help make the zoom work well, though.

I tried the snapsort tool, but in the end it gives me the trade-offs I describe. What would probably be best if is if I could find someone who knew the cameras who could tell me which one would come closest for me. For me, this is a big purchase and one I want to last for a while..so I want to be sure.

ETA: It seems like I keep coming back to the Canon Powershot 720 vs the Sony HX 90 vs the Sony RX100 series. People seem sure that the Sony RX100s give the best picture quality, but don't do as well with the zoom..plus I'd rather spend less money if possible. The Sony HX 90 has the zoom, but some complain about the image quality, while the Canon Powershot 720 may be a good balance, but people tell me the other cameras are better!
Camera stores definitely are no longer plentiful. But they can be found, and the good ones can be a great resource for both selection and training. Might definitely be worth a bit of searching within some distance from your city. I'm lucky, I've got a great resource near me (Michigan) that has been here forever, and is beyond stellar. From recommendations to training to repairs, very helpful.

http://woodwardcamera.com/contact.html

If you ever get to NYC, here's a great superstore, well-staffed, knowledgeable, great prices, lots of product. And their online presence is impressive.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/

Infomom2

Post by Infomom2 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:35 am

barreg wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:01 am
I bought the Panasonic ZS100 for an international trip and it worked well for me. I wanted a camera with a 1" sensor for good image quality, but also with a decent zoom and the ZS100 was the only camera at the time that fit the bill (10x zoom).
Thanks! I have been considering this because it seems to have that medium zoom that is not overkill (as opposed to the 30x and 40x). Do you know anything about how it compares to the Panasonic ZS60?

Also, thanks for the info DetroitRick. I don't live near either of those places, but can see why a camera store would be invaluable. I went to Shutterbug yesterday and they tried to be useful, but weren't really. Just offered me the Canon 730 and Sony HX80, both models I have considered but other than the good zoom couldn't really help me figure out which camera will come close to doing what I want in terms of being able to enlarge photos and get good image quality, along with zoom.

Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:55 am

www.snapsort.com is great for comparing cameras.
If you want a small camera with high quality I would look at a mirrorless like a Sony A6000 or Micro DSLR like Nikon D3400 (or refurbished D3200 to save) combined with a decent smartphone.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:30 am

For fun,
this is a Iphone 7+
taking a picture of a Sony RX100V (with a custom filter setup) and a full frame Canon 5d setup.
Cell phones have come a long long way.

Interesting size and weight comparison.

Infomom2

Post by Infomom2 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:01 am

Sandtrap wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:30 am
For fun,
this is a Iphone 7+
taking a picture of a Sony RX100V (with a custom filter setup) and a full frame Canon 5d setup.
Cell phones have come a long long way.

Interesting size and weight comparison.
Well, that is pretty amazing. Other than the zoom, my other concern about going the iphone route (and keep in mind I am way behind in terms of my awareness of phone-related things. I don't buy data for my phone, for example), is what happens if I don't can't get phone updates anymore. I am really looking for a camera that lasts me for at least 7 years. I guess I would just have the camera and not the phone anymore?

Your picture looks amazing!

bobf

Post by bobf » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:08 am

I shoot a fuji mirrorless but my gf's point and shoot just broke and we wanted to get her a better model. I bought a used rx100 IV and a zs100 as we could float it and that gave us time to try both. We ended up liking the zs100 much more from an ergonomic and usability level. The longer reach was also a huge help.

The rs100 did have marginally better image quality but they'll both blow away your 15 year old camera.

Infomom2

Post by Infomom2 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:13 am

bobf wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:08 am
I shoot a fuji mirrorless but my gf's point and shoot just broke and we wanted to get her a better model. I bought a used rx100 IV and a zs100 as we could float it and that gave us time to try both. We ended up liking the zs100 much more from an ergonomic and usability level. The longer reach was also a huge help.

The rs100 did have marginally better image quality but they'll both blow away your 15 year old camera.
Thank you! This is great to know! Hearing from someone who has the zs100 is so helpful. Yeah, I don't know if my standards are just lower than others or what as far as my old camera (which I realized is *only* 11 years old, not 15 when I looked it up doing other research). As I said, I have beautiful 18x20 photos that I took using its zoom lens...so its confusing when people tell me I can't get both zoom and good image quality out of the specs that are out today (although I do want compact/lightweight).

peterinjapan

Post by peterinjapan » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:01 pm

I've loved the small "prosumer" Canon camera I've owned in the past, always wonderful to take on a trip. I find I hate the Olympus OM-D E-M5 I am trying to use because of its bad design and complexity, so I never take the camera with me anywhere and just use my iPhone. So keep all that in mind.

Watty

Post by Watty » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:39 pm

I don't have any specific recommendations but you can usually get a good deal on refurbished Canon cameras when you buy directly from Canon and they come with a Canon warranty. I have bought refurbished DSLR's from them and they looked like new and I never had any problems with them.

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/cata ... al-cameras

The sensor size is one of the most important features for getting low light and high speed sports photographs and I would highly recommend getting one with a larger sensor.

A refurbished DSLR and lense would also be in your price range.

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/cata ... pageSize:&

One combination that people use is a decent cell phone and a DSLR.

barreg

Post by barreg » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:54 am

Infomom2 wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:35 am
barreg wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:01 am
Thanks! I have been considering this because it seems to have that medium zoom that is not overkill (as opposed to the 30x and 40x). Do you know anything about how it compares to the Panasonic ZS60?

Also, thanks for the info DetroitRick. I don't live near either of those places, but can see why a camera store would be invaluable. I went to Shutterbug yesterday and they tried to be useful, but weren't really. Just offered me the Canon 730 and Sony HX80, both models I have considered but other than the good zoom couldn't really help me figure out which camera will come close to doing what I want in terms of being able to enlarge photos and get good image quality, along with zoom.
The ZS100 and ZX60 Panasonic cameras are similar, but the ZX100 has a significantly larger image sensor, so its image quality is better.

http://cameradecision.com/compare/Panas ... -DMC-ZS100

MathWizard

Post by MathWizard » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:22 am

Watty wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:39 pm
I don't have any specific recommendations but you can usually get a good deal on refurbished Canon cameras when you buy directly from Canon and they come with a Canon warranty. I have bought refurbished DSLR's from them and they looked like new and I never had any problems with them.

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/cata ... al-cameras

The sensor size is one of the most important features for getting low light and high speed sports photographs and I would highly recommend getting one with a larger sensor.

A refurbished DSLR and lense would also be in your price range.

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/cata ... pageSize:&

One combination that people use is a decent cell phone and a DSLR.
I use either Iphone or Nexus5x for point and shoot because I always have them on me.
For planned shots (weddings or other gatherings) I use a Nikon DS 5600 DSLR with DX lenses.
The base model with telescoping lens was under $1000.

Watty

Post by Watty » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:18 pm

One more thing I thought about was that some of the point and shoots and super-zooms are not very rugged. We have had problems with that when either the lens cover or zoom lens jamming. That will vary a lot by model so be sure to look to see if people have had trouble with the model you are considering.

It would be good to make sure that you buy one with a credit card that gives an extended warranty and keep the paperwork.

Snowster

Post by Snowster » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:22 am

I have a ZS 100 and am happy with it. 1" sensor, good zoom, very small, 4k video, wifi. I got mine for $400 from a trusted seller on EBay after watching for weeks. I use it on pretty legitimate wilderness trips and it has held up well. I thought the 4k capture would be gimmicky, but it's very useful to get even more extra zoom in good light. Even though it's not ruggedized, it's small size allows it to be easily stored away on a zip lock or pelican case of the weather turns.