Using Verizon phones on T Mobile

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
spartanap

Using Verizon phones on T Mobile

Post by spartanap »

I currently have three smartphones with Verizon and I'm considering moving to T Mobile to cut costs. Looking for others' experience using Verizon phones on T Mobile. The phones we're currently using are the iPhone 5c, Galaxy S6 and Galaxy S7. I've been told that any Verizon 4G LTE phone is already unlocked and can be used on T Mobile. I've also been told that some functionalities of the phone may be affected; texting photos, etc. Thanks for any feedback.
hale2

Re: Using Verizon phones on T Mobile

Post by hale2 »

We switched from Verizon to T Mobile about 6 months ago. We had 3 iPhone 5s and one 6, all originally from Verizon. All work fine on T Mobile. It was just a matter of switching SIM cards. Overall we're happy despite less robust coverage than Verizon.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

Just factor in less cost AND less coverage with T-Mobile. That would be a hard switch unless you stay in a small/urban area.

Have you looked at moving to TotalWireless.com?

https://www.totalwireless.com/wps/portal/home

Verizon MVNO, Verizon network. 3 phone plan sharing 20 gb of data for $85/month ($80.70 with Auto-Pay). Unlimited calls/texts.

The nice thing about TW is you can go get SIMs at Walmart. They are (for better or worse) everywhere.
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead
mmmodem

Post by mmmodem »

Verizon phones will mostly work fine on tmobile. It's in certain areas that the TMobile version will have better signals than the Verizon version of the same phone. This is because TMobile phones include antenna bands that tmobile works on that Verizon does not. Theses areas are few and far between though as I haven't noticed a difference in my area. The main antenna bands that all carriers work on are included on all phone versions. I switched my family plan from Verizon to T-Mobile.

iPhones 4S and newer will work right out of the box. There will nothing different to the user besides the logo on the top left.

On Samsung Note 3, I had to manually change the text messaging servers to tmobile. This was an annoying process. There was also a constant message in the notification area saying I am on the wrong network despite everything working just fine.
numberman

Post by numberman »

mmmodem wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:25 pm Verizon phones will mostly work fine on tmobile. It's in certain areas that the TMobile version will have better signals than the Verizon version of the same phone. This is because TMobile phones include antenna bands that tmobile works on that Verizon does not.
Specifically, none of these phones will support LTE band 12. Some people swear it makes a huge difference in some areas, such that band 12 completely removes tmobile's disadvantage for signal coverage for them.

Most/all non-verizon versions of the S7 (and maybe the S6?) would support band 12, and possibly wifi calling.
Bfwolf

Post by Bfwolf »

I took a Verizon iPhone 6s to Tmobile with no issues. Verizon's coverage is better, but you knew that already. The big difference is outside urban/suburban areas.

Tmobile is cheaper and offers free data/texting in most countries--that was that the key selling point for the switch for me.