Good camping sleeping pad

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack »

I'm looking for a comfortable camping sleeping pad mostly car camping as I already have a hiking sleeping pad. I'd still like something that packs relatively small. I may go to an outdoor store so I can try some out. Any tips and what should I look for?
livesoft

Re: Good camping sleeping pad

Post by livesoft »

Check out youtube.com where tens, if not hundreds, of videos evaluate "good camping sleeping pads." Generaily, I like to fish where there are a lot fish.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
mountaingoatcos

Post by mountaingoatcos »

I have a thermarest neoair dream, it is not the lightest pad, it is a little over 4 pounds but it is very comfortable for car camping. It feels better than alot of beds at hotels! (well the crappier hotels) It is by far the best pad I have used. I tried out the sea to summit comfort deluxe SI mat at Neptune Mountaineering in the store, and that was very comfortable as well. I thought about buying it, but wife said we are good with what we have.
curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon »

Bought a 1.5" thick memory foam mattress pad from Walmart. Works amazingly well, but it is a little bulky. We got a king size, and just trimmed it to fit the floor space of the tent, so no sliding off or positioning worries.
GCD

Post by GCD »

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Last edited by GCD on Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CaliJim

Post by CaliJim »

+1 Therm-A-Rest Neoair.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss ... est+neoair+

I screwed around with several unsatisfactory pads and air-mattresses trying to avoid the expense of the Neoair. Big mistake. Finally bought the Neoair and am very happy.

They come in several sizes, shapes, weights....

I have the Xlite for back packing. Very very comfortable. I would use for car camping too.

But the Venture model may be better for just car camping.
-calijim- | | For more info, click this Wiki
kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin »

Best pad to take camping? an iPad.

Couldn't resist. Seriously though, wouldn't go without one :D
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

After a cheap Cabela's pad fell apart after a few trips, I spent probably half an hour or so trying all the different pads in the local REI.

In the end, I concluded the Therm-a-rest pads are actually worth what they charge. I think I have the Pro-Lite. It adds a little bit of cushion, but the big benefit is the insulation it provides when sleeping on cold ground or snow. If you want a lot of cushion/support, I think you ultimately really want one of the dedicated car-camping pads.
MJS

Post by MJS »

Consider a camp cot instead of another pad. The comfort difference is substantial and you can use it at home for guests. I have a Coleman.
White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor »

The secret to good car camping is a good cot. I recommend EZCot. Super easy to set up and take down. Then put a thermarest base camp pad on top of it. It's almost as good as my bed at home and I don't mind sleeping on it for a week or more at a time.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course
johan_s

Post by johan_s »

I finally ponied up for a Thermarest. I have the ProLite; my wife has a Basecamp for car camping. Well worth the money.
queso

Post by queso »

These guys know their stuff and are usually pretty accurate with reviews.

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topics/c ... eeping-pad
mbasherp

Post by mbasherp »

Another Thermarest Prolite user here. It's my all season, all occasion sleeping pad and works great.
CWhea1775

Post by CWhea1775 »

Roll a Cot with a Thermarest pad to fill in the "sag" between the metal bars (exists on any cot in my experience), topped with a 3" foam pad, along with a nice pillow from home.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

For car camping, cot with a thermarest.

For no-slip backpacking, they make bags that your thermarest slips into that keep you from sliding around and weighs a couple ounces.
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

Cots will destroy the floors of tents. I love my 1st gen neoair but it has developed a slow leak and needs replacement if i cant find it, my wifes is doing fine.
sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal »

GCD wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:22 pm Thermarest. Choose whichever model fits your needs. The only downside is they are a little slippery and you can slide around a bit if using it in conjunction with a slick exterior sleeping bag.
This. Just go down to your local REI to try them out. Avoid anything bulky and heavy.
nickjoy

Post by nickjoy »

I still have/use my $10 pad from Wal-Mart. It's 12 years old and has been across the country with me. You don't need a super expensive one, thickness is more important than anything for comfort.

If you're driving to the campsite, look for the pads for outdoor furniture. The kind that look like a bunch of plastic fibers woven together, the kind that can be left out in the rain. I have one and it's about 4 inches thick and wow, is it comfortable to sleep on. It is bulky, so if you don't have room, it's not a good option. But they're extra wide so everybody can use it. They're more comfortable than air mattresses and can't break. I had one lying around so it was free, but they don't cost any more than a nice sleeping pad but can be used for so much more than camping.
jerkstore

Post by jerkstore »

You can spend $100-$200 on these. I bought a Lightspeed PVC self-inflating 3" thick with an R Value of 5.6 from Amazon for $50.00

Only used it 3 times, so far so good. My BIL visited recently and we were discussing camping...and he happened to have his Thermarest $100 pad with him. We set them both up and compared. There was no difference other than his was a 1.5" - and that made a big difference as to what you could feel (we put kids toys underneath). As you mentioned this is for car camping...no need to skimp on thickness. 3" at a minimum imo. I would also avoid a mummy cut sleeping pad...I prefer the extra room....who stays still the entire night while they sleep?
Topic Author
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack »

Thanks all. Seems like I can't go wrong with Thermarest. Some are pricer than I was planning to spend, but I've gone cheap in the past and have never been super satisfied. I'll go to an outdoor store to try some out to see how they feel. Will probably buy from REI or another store with great return policy.
Topic Author
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack »

White Coat Investor wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:54 am The secret to good car camping is a good cot. I recommend EZCot. Super easy to set up and take down. Then put a thermarest base camp pad on top of it. It's almost as good as my bed at home and I don't mind sleeping on it for a week or more at a time.
I just tried some out at REI and I think you hit the nail on the head. I quickly realized I'm not a fan of the "springy" inflatable pads. When space is an issue, I have a Klymit Ozone Intertia which packs incredible small, but it's more of a firm than bouncy feeling. At REI, I first tried out the kingdom cot - https://www.rei.com/product/892837/rei- ... gdom-cot-3 and it felt incredibly comfortable. I then tried some pads and REI's basic cot. I was tempted to go with the Kingdom (at $160 it seemed like a great deal) and it's easy to fold up, but it's massive. I was literally thinking about where I could store it (I prefer to store in a temperature controlled closet and not in my attic). The basic REI cot was only $80 but didn't seem high enough quality for what I want and ideally I'd want something a bit wider. I just looked and the REI cot is 25.5" wide and the EasyCot is 31" wide. I'll probably swing by one or two other outdoor stores because I'd like to try before buying, but I'll likely go with the EasyCot or something similar and put an insulating pad on top of it.