Tailor made shirts

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
4nursebee

Tailor made shirts

Post by 4nursebee » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:08 pm

Have you had them made before and what was your experience? Thus far I've been an on sale kind of person, mostly from the minimal offerings in the tall or xtra tall catalogs. I dislike how often I still have to tuck in a shirt at my belly or sides. Some shirts don't allow good range of motion through the shoulders, are tight on upper arms, or just don't look all that good in the collar. Some that I can buy are so flimsy they show too much and require an undershirt which I detest.

I've thought of shopping online or in larger cities. Any suggestions?
Thanks.
4nursebee

PhilosophyAndrew

Re: Tailor made shirts

Post by PhilosophyAndrew » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:31 pm

Hamilton Shirts of Houston, TX makes well-reviewed made-to-measure shirts. I’ve never tried those, but love their ready-to-wear shirts.

You might want to give them a call to see if they can address your concerns.

student

Post by student » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:54 pm

I have good experience with this company. https://www.indochino.com/

gunn_show

Post by gunn_show » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:27 pm

student wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:54 pm
I have good experience with this company. https://www.indochino.com/
Similarly I buy Bonobos ... also Combatant Gentlemen ...

But increasingly I am buying tailored fit with some stretch fabric in it....
"The best life hack of all is to just put the work in and never give up." Bas Rutten

HIinvestor

Post by HIinvestor » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:31 pm

Our S buys some tailored clothing since he has difficulty getting his precise size. Finding a good tailor who produced results you like is well worth the effort. His custom suits fit him very nicely and are better than a ton of alterations on ready to wear garments. Ymmv.

heartwood

Post by heartwood » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:22 am

4nursebee wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:08 pm
Have you had them made before and what was your experience? Thus far I've been an on sale kind of person, mostly from the minimal offerings in the tall or xtra tall catalogs. I dislike how often I still have to tuck in a shirt at my belly or sides. Some shirts don't allow good range of motion through the shoulders, are tight on upper arms, or just don't look all that good in the collar. Some that I can buy are so flimsy they show too much and require an undershirt which I detest.

I've thought of shopping online or in larger cities. Any suggestions?
Thanks.
I had an experience with a Hong Kong Tailor advertising in the WSJ and visiting various hotels in the metropolitan area I lived in at the time. I was measured for two suits and several shirts, waited perhaps a month and received my clothes by post. The fit was unwearable for the suits. A 42 R looked like a 50 L. I returned them to the seller when next he passed through town. They wanted "my tailor" to do alterations that they would pay for. I refused given the gross discrepancy in my size and the suits. I maintained that I expected custom based upon my measurements, not a fudge. Under duress they agreed to refund my money for the suits.

The shirts fit okay but the fabric was not what I expected from the swatches I chose from. They refused to refund the shirts.

I still see their ads in the Journal so they must be able to satisfy many/most of their clients. Since then I've bought high-end off the rack shirts with alterations, e.g., Brioni or Zegna, and others, during sales events at Neiman, Zegna and others. I'm able to see and feel the fabric in a full shirt presentation. I've been very satisfied. I've also tried better (but not high end ) shirts from Brooks Brothers, Costco and Charles Tyrwitt. Depending upon the style the BBs are great, the Costco's are very good, and Tyrwitt is worse than the Hong Kong guys above.

YMMV

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:17 am

My luggage was lost on the way to the Philippines and being way taller than the average Filipino, I ended up getting a couple shirts tailor made there. Nothing fancy but they sure did fit a lot better than the normal catalog shirts I buy here in the states and were a whole lot cheaper though I wouldn't expect that to be the case for any tailor made shirt here.

AdmiralSnackbar

Post by AdmiralSnackbar » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:22 am

If you want to try an alternate route, you could buy high-quality ready-to-wear shirts on sale at places like Nordstrom's Rack. Make sure the neck, shoulders, and sleeves are a good fit, and then get the sides taken in. You can find some fantastic luxury-brand shirts for a fraction of the cost. Even with the tailoring fee, it is still a bargain. Good luck!

investor4life

Post by investor4life » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:45 am

Came across this just yesterday: https://www.mtailor.com/

No idea how good it is but the idea is intriguing. A couple of reviews that I saw online are positive, too.

htdrag11

Post by htdrag11 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:57 pm

There are 2 coastal stores in the US, NY and California. I used them in my younger days for tailored made shirts; they still fit after 16 years. Fabrics were made in France.

https://www.ascotchang.com/en/store

knick17

Post by knick17 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:18 pm

Hey, I have found an extremely good tailor from Bangkok who works a lot with online commissions, and they also travel a lot around the world. So far they have been spot on with me, simply by shipping online based on my measurement. but you can also contact them to check if they are flying anywhere around you. Let me know if u interested in the contact.

Luke Duke

Post by Luke Duke » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:13 am

I have a few (I forget the brand) and they fit me so much better than off the shelf shirts.