Pay With Gasbuddy Card

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
steelerfan

Pay With Gasbuddy Card

Post by steelerfan »

Anyone using the Pay With Gasbuddy card yet? 5 cents off every gallon, connects to your bank account, not a credit card.
"As your wealth grows do not set your heart on it." steelerfan
Jack FFR1846

Re: Pay With Gasbuddy Card

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

No, but I'd do the math before thinking that's better than, for example, a Chase AARP credit card that returns 3% on gas. At my station, gas is $2.699 a gallon. 5 cents a gallon off is 5 cents a gallon. 3% is 8 cents a gallon.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

I don't do debit cards. Too much risk.

Only way to do this would be to set up a new account with limited funds. That prevents access to a main account and possibly missed bills/mortgage/etc.
pshonore

Post by pshonore »

Most if not all of the Cumberland Farms stations in southern New England give a 10 cent discount when they debit your bank account using their card.
sport

Post by sport »

The Costco credit card rebates 4% on gasoline.
kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin »

Too many better options. Not sure who this works out as a better deal for.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

kjvmartin wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:58 pm Too many better options. Not sure who this works out as a better deal for.
Possibly people with poor credit and unable to get a card with rewards?

Not likely any or the vast majority of people here, though.
Topic Author
steelerfan

Post by steelerfan »

runner3081 wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:04 pm
kjvmartin wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:58 pm Too many better options. Not sure who this works out as a better deal for.

I am a DR guy who prefers not to use Credit Cards. I am currently using my bank's debit card for gas with no incentives.
"As your wealth grows do not set your heart on it." steelerfan
flamesabers

Post by flamesabers »

steelerfan wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:28 pm Anyone using the Pay With Gasbuddy card yet? 5 cents off every gallon, connects to your bank account, not a credit card.
Have you considered getting the USAA Amex Cashback Rewards Plus credit card? You'll get 5% cashback on gas purchases up to $3k spent each year at gas stations and the card doesn't have an annual fee.
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

steelerfan wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:17 pm I am a DR guy . . .
A what guy?
ryuns

Post by ryuns »

steelerfan wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:17 pm
runner3081 wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:04 pm

I am a DR guy who prefers not to use Credit Cards. I am currently using my bank's debit card for gas with no incentives.
Dave Ramsey, I presume? In any case, gas stations are one place in particular for which I'd consider reserving a credit card: No incentive to overspend, rewards tend to be good (3-5% as folks have been posting), and, it seems, relatively high risk of attack from skimmers, hackers, etc. The consumer protections on CCs are far better than debit.
An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered; an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered. -- GK Chesterton
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

FWIW, Sam's Club branded MasterCard gives users 5% off per gallon. Given Sam's Clubs normal lower pricing (not necessarily everywhere), one can certainly save on gas using the card. Last fill-up saved 13 cents per gallon.

I've noticed that around here gas prices have dropped already to near pre-hurricane prices. Sam's Club was $2.49 on Monday. I guess one thing that helped was the summer driving season being over.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
flamesabers

Post by flamesabers »

Earl Lemongrab wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:05 pm
steelerfan wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:17 pm I am a DR guy . . .
A what guy?
I presume DR=Debit. In accounting terms debit can be abbreviated with DR.
alpenglow

Post by alpenglow »

I'm still using the PenFed gas card with 5% back. Unfortunately, I don't think it's available anymore to new customers. I filled up yesterday at $2.60/gal so that's $0.13 off per gal.
Chuck

Post by Chuck »

alpenglow wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:55 am I'm still using the PenFed gas card with 5% back. Unfortunately, I don't think it's available anymore to new customers. I filled up yesterday at $2.60/gal so that's $0.13 off per gal.
Ditto that. They keep "offering" to "upgrade" me to the points card, and I always think HAIL NO, you got to be kidding.
midareff

Post by midareff »

Jack FFR1846 wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:37 pm No, but I'd do the math before thinking that's better than, for example, a Chase AARP credit card that returns 3% on gas. At my station, gas is $2.699 a gallon. 5 cents a gallon off is 5 cents a gallon. 3% is 8 cents a gallon.
Not to mention the PenFed 5% cash back gas card. Another happy user here. Cards are a game.. 5% gas and use it just for that. AMEX Blue Cash Preferred for 6% on the first $6K of groceries and use it just for that, then the rest gets the Fidelity 2% on everything Visa. $2Kto $3K a year in cash back here.
alpenglow

Post by alpenglow »

midareff wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:29 am Not to mention the PenFed 5% cash back gas card. Another happy user here. Cards are a game.. 5% gas and use it just for that. AMEX Blue Cash Preferred for 6% on the first $6K of groceries and use it just for that, then the rest gets the Fidelity 2% on everything Visa. $2Kto $3K a year in cash back here.
Unless I'm chasing a bonus, that's my everyday trio of cards. I throw in Chase Freedom and Discover for the rotating 5% categories depending on the quarter.
midareff

Post by midareff »

alpenglow wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:39 am
midareff wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:29 am Not to mention the PenFed 5% cash back gas card. Another happy user here. Cards are a game.. 5% gas and use it just for that. AMEX Blue Cash Preferred for 6% on the first $6K of groceries and use it just for that, then the rest gets the Fidelity 2% on everything Visa. $2Kto $3K a year in cash back here.
Unless I'm chasing a bonus, that's my everyday trio of cards. I throw in Chase Freedom and Discover for the rotating 5% categories depending on the quarter.
LOL, I love the 5% Discover restaurant quarter since we are retired and eat out a few times a week. Also have AA, Delta and United cards which cost annually but we have been traveling frequently so one round trip's free checked bags evens that out and the priority boarding is a plus to stow our carry on stuff while there is still room.
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

The BOA cash-back card with Preferred Rewards for 100k+ assets at Merrill Edge gets me 5.25% on gas.