BH phone review: Moto G5 Plus

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
sunny_socal

BH phone review: Moto G5 Plus

Post by sunny_socal » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:12 am

Bought a Moto G5 Plus from Costco yesterday!

My wife had a Note3 and it was starting to slow down and had wifi connection problems. It's all software related and I'm positive I can 'cure' it by reflashing the OS but she's leery of such a drastic measure. The Note3 will go to our kids. (I have an identical Note3 and it's still fine, will look for a Note8 next year when the price drops.)

Impressions:
- Pretax cost $220, decent deal IMO
- Fully unlocked phone. Just pop in your existing SIM card! No activation fee, nothing.
- The screen is bright and clear. The Note3 was nice, this seems just as good.
- Sturdy aluminum case material
- The size seems ideal, not too big and not too small.
- It's fast! The costco model only has 2G or RAM so we'll how well this holds up with heavy use. (My wife mostly just make calls, texts and plays monster busters so I think it will be fine.)
- 32G of flash space, not bad for an entry/mid range phone. Has an SD card slot, will reuse our old 64G card.
- Very little bloatware
- No 'home' button, instead there's a little divot in the front. It will take some adjustment (I guess all new phones are without buttons :? )
- Not much variety in ring tones or notifications. Presumably one can download more, I haven't checked.

Last edited by sunny_socal on Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.

bloom2708

Re: BH phone review: Moto G5 Plus

Post by bloom2708 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:21 am

Thanks for the review.

Did you go through the Cell Phone kiosk at your Costco or is the G5 Plus in the electronics section? I avoid the big 4 cell phone kiosk as I don't need a new plan.

$220 is a good price. I have the Moto G4 32gb. It is a great phone for the price. I would like to get a G5 Plus and give my wife the G4.
"We are here not to please but to provoke thoughtfulness" Unknown Boglehead

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:24 am

bloom2708 wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:21 am
Thanks for the review.

Did you go through the Cell Phone kiosk at your Costco or is the G5 Plus in the electronics section? I avoid the big 4 cell phone kiosk as I don't need a new plan.

$220 is a good price. I have the Moto G4 32gb. It is a great phone for the price. I would like to get a G5 Plus and give my wife the G4.
There was just a pallet of cardboard flyers, we took it to the checkout and they got the phone from the electronics storage area. They were located next to the school supplies, near the PS4/Xbox pallets. We didn't talk to anyone at the Verizon/Sprint desk.

Another bonus: the phone comes with very little crapware! A Samsung is stuffed loaded with useless carrier and samsung tools, the Moto seems to come with only the essentials.

Faith20879

Post by Faith20879 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:33 am

We bought one in September from BestBuy. Took it on a long road trip right away and it was everything we expected to be. Highly satisfied and no regrets what so ever. Had a Galaxy 5 previously and this is just as good if not better.

One minor complain though. Wish they had put the power button on the top instead on the side, right where my thumb is. This caused numerous accidental power-off and on. Quite a nuisance. Perhaps some knowledgeable posters can provide an easy workaround.

pochax

Post by pochax » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:05 am

there is a Moto G5s plus coming out very soon (weeks?):
https://www.motorola.com/us/products/mo ... al-edition

this will have a slightly larger display and dual camera setup for better pics, but otherwise the same as G5 plus. may want to wait for that and the price of G5 plus will drop a bit more.

C4NT

Post by C4NT » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:42 am

I've had one since June, and am very pleased with its performance and battery life. For the price, I don't think there is anything better out there.

One minor feature that I think makes a big difference on usability, is that there is very little Motorola bloatware on the phone. Unlike Samsung phones which come with so much.

student

Post by student » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:58 am

For those who are not members of Costco, you can get it at Amazon at the same price at $220. For prime members, you can get it at $190 with ads.

Post by 2015 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:22 am

student wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:58 am
For those who are not members of Costco, you can get it at Amazon at the same price at $220. For prime members, you can get it at $190 with ads.
I see it for $229.99 on Amazon and elsewhere.

https://www.amazon.com/Moto-Plus-5th-Ge ... B01NBRN2YI

Thanks to OP for the review. I've been meaning to get around to convince myself to upgrade from my Moto G 1st Gen for a while now.

Countermoon

Post by Countermoon » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:22 pm

Thanks for the review. Coincidentally, I ordered one a few days ago and just received it. I didn't realize my old phone had a larger SIM card, so I need to take the Moto G5 to AT&T tonight to get a nano SIM. Not a big deal, but I thought I'd be able to just swap in my old SIM.

This phone seems to be the best bang for your buck right now.

student

Post by student » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:26 pm

2015 wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:22 am
student wrote:

Thanks to OP for the review. I've been meaning to get around to convince myself to upgrade from my Moto G 1st Gen for a while now.
If you click on standard version, you will see that it is now $219.99.

MtnTraveler

Post by MtnTraveler » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:46 pm

I bought one a few weeks ago and have been happy but I also have nothing to compare it to. If you don't have a motorola account you can get 10% (or maybe it was 5%) off by getting on their mailing list. Then buy the phone from them online.

Post by 2015 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:56 pm

student wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:26 pm
2015 wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:22 am
student wrote:

If you click on standard version, you will see that it is now $219.99.
Found it, thanks!

telemark

Post by telemark » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:41 pm

That little divot on the front would be the fingerprint sensor, which can also recognise simple gestures.

catdude

Post by catdude » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:52 pm

My brother, who can easily afford any smartphone he wants, just bought a moto g5. He loves it!
catdude | | The only thing between North Dakota and the North Pole is a barbed-wire fence.

aceoperations

Post by aceoperations » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:15 pm

Bought two of these last month for my in-laws. It was on sale for $175 (got one from amazon, and one from b&h). Really good value on these phones. It has all the features one would usually need, and it does them all reasonably well.

Saving$

Post by Saving$ » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:19 pm

Bought the G5 (don't think it is the plus version) a few months ago from B&H at the recommendation of this board.

It is by far the best phone I have ever owned. I previously had a few mid range Samsung models. The G5 has no bloatware, so the phone stays very responsive. It is very fast, the screen is crisp & clear. The single button can be multifunction - one for press, one for swipe left across button, another for swipe right across button, etc. It also has a feature in which the light will turn on if you shake it a certain way..

The only thing it lacks is NFC, but I've never used NFC in any phone I had, so for me it is a conceptual loss only, not a real one..

Interestingly, my first few cell phones in the 1990's and early 2000's were all Motorolas, and they were technological marvels of their time...

Post by 2015 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:03 pm

Saving$ wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:19 pm
Bought the G5 (don't think it is the plus version) a few months ago from B&H at the recommendation of this board.

It is by far the best phone I have ever owned. I previously had a few mid range Samsung models. The G5 has no bloatware, so the phone stays very responsive. It is very fast, the screen is crisp & clear. The single button can be multifunction - one for press, one for swipe left across button, another for swipe right across button, etc. It also has a feature in which the light will turn on if you shake it a certain way..

The only thing it lacks is NFC, but I've never used NFC in any phone I had, so for me it is a conceptual loss only, not a real one..

Interestingly, my first few cell phones in the 1990's and early 2000's were all Motorolas, and they were technological marvels of their time...
Doesn't G5 run on Google Android 7.0 Nougat? If so, doesn't it have Android Beam, and consequently NFC?

https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/nfc-explained/
Android Beam, the native feature for all devices running on Android 4.0 or later, allows the exchange of pretty much any kind of info, including YouTube videos, webpages, or contact information. It also allows Android users to take advantage of Google Wallet, which has been around since 2011, and Android Pay, provided they’re running Android 4.4 or later.

Android Beam can be enabled through your Phone’s Settings > More. First. toggle NFC on, then tap Android Beam and toggle it on as well. Android users will now be able to utilize beam by placing their phone next to another NFC-enabled device for several seconds. A prompt should automatically appear asking if you’d like to beam to another phone or device.

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:08 pm

2015 wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:03 pm
Doesn't G5 run on Google Android 7.0 Nougat? If so, doesn't it have Android Beam, and consequently NFC?

https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/nfc-explained/
Perhaps the OS supports it but the HW doesn't. It requires separate hardware. (My phone has NFC but I never use it.)

notmyhand

Post by notmyhand » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:20 am

Can anyone speak to the camera quality? Specifically as it pertains to taking photos of animals and children (aka photos where the subject doesn't stay still for very long).

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:19 am

notmyhand wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:20 am
Can anyone speak to the camera quality? Specifically as it pertains to taking photos of animals and children (aka photos where the subject doesn't stay still for very long).
12 mp rear and 5 mp front cameras.

Here is a review:

https://recombu.com/mobile/article/moto ... era-review#
"We are here not to please but to provoke thoughtfulness" Unknown Boglehead

jbuzolich

Post by jbuzolich » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:42 am

I also bought this phone from Costco in June just before we went on vacation. I've been really happy with it and so far just refuse to spend the $700+ I see friends spending on phones. I'm really glad to still find nice phones around this price point in low $200 range and unlocked as well. Wife and are on a two line $60 plan with Total Wireless

Horsefly

Post by Horsefly » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:49 am

I got Moto G5 Plus at Amazon on Prime day for $188. Awesome price for an awesome phone. I got mine with 64GB of memory, then added a 128GB SD card. Now it holds all of our music and all of my podcasts for road trips.

The US version of the Moto G5 Plus doesn't include the hardware for NFC. I can't find where I read it, but Motorola apparently determined that so few people used NFC / beaming that it was better to cut the cost of the phone than to add the hardware.

keystone

Post by keystone » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:18 am

I have a G5 Plus without ads(4GB Ram + 64 GB storage) and it is a fantastic phone. The things I love most about it are the smaller size (it can easily fit in my pocket compared to the bulkiness of the G4), fast speed, very good camera and incredible battery life. I've had the phone for six months now and the battery life continues to impress me. After a typical day of usage for me which includes 2 30 minute train rides of continuous browsing and then various texting, browsing and email checking throughout the day, I'm normally still above 70% by the end of the day. This is significantly better than any of my previous phones (including the G4 Plus).

The camera works really well and takes fast pictures. With my previous phones, I had a lot of missed opportunities trying to take pictures in a hurry with my young child but I've had great success taking clear pictures in a pinch with the G5.

By the way, I've read reviews of the new G5s and it doesn't seem like it's worth upgrading to unless you would prefer a larger size. But as another poster pointed out, this may help bring prices down for the G5.

CyberBob

Post by CyberBob » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:50 am

keystone wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:18 am
The camera works really well and takes fast pictures. With my previous phones, I had a lot of missed opportunities trying to take pictures in a hurry with my young child but I've had great success taking clear pictures in a pinch with the G5.
I love the double wrist-twist gesture to go to camera mode quickly. It allows me to get photos I would have missed in the past with a slower way to open the camera.

mouses

Post by mouses » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:19 pm

I'm thinking of buying my first cell phone, so I am somewhat clueless. One thing I want is the type of driving directions thing that says "Turn right at next intersection," etc. and adapts if I wander off onto the wrong street.

ConsumerCellular says of the Moto G5 Plus "The New Moto G Plus comes pre-loaded with Google Maps for easy turn-by-turn navigation." Is that what I am looking for, or is it not interactive as I want?

Thanks.

Post by 2015 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:13 pm

Horsefly wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:49 am
I got Moto G5 Plus at Amazon on Prime day for $188. Awesome price for an awesome phone. I got mine with 64GB of memory, then added a 128GB SD card. Now it holds all of our music and all of my podcasts for road trips.

The US version of the Moto G5 Plus doesn't include the hardware for NFC. I can't find where I read it, but Motorola apparently determined that so few people used NFC / beaming that it was better to cut the cost of the phone than to add the hardware.
Thanks for this. Based on this thread, I'm definitely going to upgrade to the G5 from my only two year old but now seemingly antiquated 1st gen G.

pochax

Post by pochax » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:28 pm

mouses wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:19 pm
I'm thinking of buying my first cell phone, so I am somewhat clueless. One thing I want is the type of driving directions thing that says "Turn right at next intersection," etc. and adapts if I wander off onto the wrong street.

ConsumerCellular says of the Moto G5 Plus "The New Moto G Plus comes pre-loaded with Google Maps for easy turn-by-turn navigation." Is that what I am looking for, or is it not interactive as I want?

Thanks.
Any smartphone will do that (even iPhone with google maps) - any android phone will likely come with google maps preinstalled (or just download it from google play store for free). the Moto G5 plus will certainly do it. again, for those who might consider it, the G5S plus will be available next month and you can pre-order now for $229: https://www.motorola.com/us/products/mo ... al-edition. comes with bigger (5.5") display and upgraded dual camera when compared to current G5 plus. even if you want the original G5 plus, the price will likely drop when the G5S plus comes out so it may be worth waiting for it.

BigFoot48

Post by BigFoot48 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:58 pm

Based on this thread and other reviews I bought the G5 at Costco today. As I use Tracfone and my 3-year old LG41 smartphone doesn't have a sim chip, I had to order a 3-size blank sim from Amazon for $1. When that arrives in 2 days I'll have to buy some starter minutes from Tracfone, activate the phone, and transfer my existing minutes/etc. and number from my existing phone. Allegedly all this will work and I'll end up a happy phone'r.
Retired | Two-time in top-10 in Bogleheads S&P500 contest; 12-time loser

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:00 pm

Is it better to buy it from Costco than from Amazon, because of the Costco warranty?

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

BigFoot48

Post by BigFoot48 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:22 pm

I bought my last Tracfone at Amazon, and while that turned out fine, I purposely bought this one at Costco for the return advantage. Tracfone's BYOP (bring your own phone) program is new to me and I want to be able to easily return it should the setup go astray!
Retired | Two-time in top-10 in Bogleheads S&P500 contest; 12-time loser

SoDakJeff

Post by SoDakJeff » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:06 am

student wrote:
My days of chasing after the latest and greatest ( and most expensive) smartphone are over! My wife needed a new phone a couple of months ago, and I found the Moto G5 Plus listed on many of the "Best Bargain Phones of 2017" lists online, so we took a look at it on Amazon. For those who are thinking about buying one there, though, I would suggest monitoring the price for a while before buying. When we first looked at it, it was going for $230 (no ads). We thought about it for a week or so, and when we decided to pull the trigger and went back to Amazon, the price was $199. When we got the phone, I was helping my wife get it set up, and I was so impressed with it that I wanted one for myself. Back to Amazon, and now the price was $179! So, it appears that the price swings on occasion (or at least it did during the time that I was buying).

The phone is great! Everything and more than my old HTC One M8 that cost in excess of $600.

Longtermgrowth

Post by Longtermgrowth » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:27 pm

Another aspect of cell phones that I think should be part of every review, is their SAR (Specific Absorption Rate) rating: https://www.fcc.gov/general/specific-ab ... telephones

I like that these Moto phones are water and shock resistant, but they are on the high end of RF energy exposure compared to some other cheap options.

student

Post by student » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:43 pm

SoDakJeff wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:06 am
student wrote:
My days of chasing after the latest and greatest ( and most expensive) smartphone are over! My wife needed a new phone a couple of months ago, and I found the Moto G5 Plus listed on many of the "Best Bargain Phones of 2017" lists online, so we took a look at it on Amazon. For those who are thinking about buying one there, though, I would suggest monitoring the price for a while before buying. When we first looked at it, it was going for $230 (no ads). We thought about it for a week or so, and when we decided to pull the trigger and went back to Amazon, the price was $199. When we got the phone, I was helping my wife get it set up, and I was so impressed with it that I wanted one for myself. Back to Amazon, and now the price was $179! So, it appears that the price swings on occasion (or at least it did during the time that I was buying).

The phone is great! Everything and more than my old HTC One M8 that cost in excess of $600.
If one wants to track prices for items in Amazon. Try https://camelcamelcamel.com/

maxq

Post by maxq » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:24 pm

I picked one up from Amazon for just under $200 a couple of months ago. Worked great on Cricket and had remarkable battery life. I ended up returning it though as it doesn't have an LED notification light. I like being able to see from across the room that I have a text or missed call or calendar event. There were some complicated workarounds to turn the sometimes-on charging light into a notification light, but just not worth the trouble and risk of bricking the phone. I returned the phone (easy with Amazon) and instead ordered a new Galaxy S7 from B&H on sale for $380 (no sales tax if outside NY and NJ). The Moto felt better in the hand, but I needed the LED light just because its what I'm used to.... If not for that, I'd have kept it and been happy.

PhysicianOnFIRE

Post by PhysicianOnFIRE » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:47 pm

I just ordered the Moto G4 for $129.99 from B&H photo 32GB unlocked, planning to use it on Republic Wireless $20 plan with unlimited text, talk and 1 GB data.

I've been using an 8GB Moto G 1st generation for 2.5 years. It's worked great, but the OS takes up too much of the 8GB and I've grown tired of deleting apps to make space for others. I can't have Facebook messenger because I need to make room for ESPN and Yahoo fantasy football apps!

:beer
-PoF

prad81

Post by prad81 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:28 pm

pochax wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:05 am
there is a Moto G5s plus coming out very soon (weeks?):
https://www.motorola.com/us/products/mo ... al-edition

this will have a slightly larger display and dual camera setup for better pics, but otherwise the same as G5 plus. may want to wait for that and the price of G5 plus will drop a bit more.

This new model is now available for pre-order at several websites, including B&H (no tax collected outside of NY/NJ).

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... keyword%7D