High school scholarships

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Mrxyz

High school scholarships

Post by Mrxyz »

Hi all,
I was told by colleagues that there are 'lots of high school scholarships' which a student can apply for especially if they have the drive, interest and focus to apply for them.
Are there any recommended sites for them? Googling gets a lot of subscription sites.
Any experience applying or getting such scholarships?
Do they matter? I mean, does it look good on their cv when they eventually apply for college.
Thanks
climber2020

Re: High school scholarships

Post by climber2020 »

https://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Scholar ... rship+book

I used something similar to this back in the day when I was that age. Mailed out about a hundred applications and won 2 large scholarships that allowed me to graduate college with zero debt. It was worth the effort.
Topic Author
Mrxyz

Post by Mrxyz »

climber2020 wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:13 pm https://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Scholar ... rship+book

I used something similar to this back in the day when I was that age. Mailed out about a hundred applications and won 2 large scholarships that allowed me to graduate college with zero debt. It was worth the effort.
Thanks for the quick reply. Are most scholarships need based or ...?
celia

Post by celia »

My kids won partial scholarships for high school. They didn't even have to apply for them. They were granted by their feeder school, parish organizations, and by the high schools themselves as part of honors at entrance (high scores on the high school entrance test). I doubt that they impact college acceptance although the designated students usually take the honors/AP courses which help them get into college.
climber2020

Post by climber2020 »

Mrxyz wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:22 pm
climber2020 wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:13 pm https://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Scholar ... rship+book

Thanks for the quick reply. Are most scholarships need based or ...?
The scholarships I won were merit based, but I did get some grants directly from the university due to my family income being under the poverty line.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

There are a ton of "random" scholarships given to "member's" family members. My credit union (DCU) offers one for freshman year requiring an essay. The student should be doing the searching but they're out there. Many, many were obviously set up to give money to one particular student (scholarship to male student of 1/3 Finish ancestry attending specific college with specific major) and many are more generic but still requiring some background (4 years of high school Lacrosse, 4 years in a high school band playing trumpet and attending college majoring in business). Student with this disability or illness (type 1 diabetes, for example). I think it's worthwhile to blanket everyone, even if the student doesn't qualify because lots of these don't give the money out and will give it to the closest qualifier. Lots of churches have scholarships (from what I've seen, they're small, but non-zero).

The guidance department at the high school will have good info where to apply.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
gasdoc

Post by gasdoc »

I believe the OP was asking about high school scholarships rather than college scholarships? The private HS where our daughter applied did have scholarships available. We thought it would be a waste of time having her apply for them, but, Lo and Behold, an OB/GYN colleague's son was awarded the scholarship. It was listed on the high school web page.

gasdoc
DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 »

I think it was a waste of time except need base. I received 4 scholarships when I graduated from high school. I never applied to them, my counselor must recommended me. I was low income received free cafeteria food. That's how he knew.
One of my kids did receive $8000 for her NMS from the company that I was working at the time. That's not need base.
In college, my second child received quite a few scholarships, small ones but she did apply to them. She had to write essays though. They were not need base because we wouldn't qualify.
Last edited by DrGoogle2017 on Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
celia

Post by celia »

DrGoogle2017 wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:05 pm I think it was a waste of time except need base.
In applying for college scholarships, I had my kids weigh how many applicants there likely would be vs how many scholarships were awarded. For example, if there was a nation-wide competition for 1 4-year scholarship, don't waste your time on it. But if my union was giving out 10 scholarships at my school district and 10 employee's children applied, that's a no-brainer. (My union actually thought of the scholarship as an employee benefit. They did some fundraising, then divided the pot up among everyone who applied and was eligible. One year I asked how many scholarships were being given and this was the reply. The number varied each year as did the amount of money.)
celia

Post by celia »

Mrxyz wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:40 pm Do they matter? I mean, does it look good on their cv when they eventually apply for college.
I don't think high school scholarships matter as far as getting into college, but the student feels good from their hard work being acknowledged. The parents benefit by having to pay less. However, I knew of a few cases where the parents didn't want to pay tuition and the student worked to earn it all.

As far as college scholarships, most are awarded at the end of the student's senior year of high school, long after their college applications are due. So during their senior year, students would focus on applying to college during the fall semester, then look into applying for scholarships. Of course, those scholarships with a large applicant pool tend to have earlier deadlines since they have to sift through more applicants.