Transfering Data Between Cloud Providers

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
blueman457

Transfering Data Between Cloud Providers

Post by blueman457 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:33 pm

Q: Has anyone transferred data from one cloud provider to another?

I am changing my online backup cloud provider from Amazon to (Google, Microsoft, etc...). I use back up software (Arq Backup) to backup my computer to my local external drive and Amazon Cloud. But I want to change cloud providers and NOT lose all my online backups from the past year (300gb or so). Has anyone used a service that transfers data from one cloud provider to another? I'd rather not download everything then upload it on my pitiful internet connection.

Thanks,

Blue Man

tuningfork

Re: Transfering Data Between Cloud Providers

Post by tuningfork » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:37 am

I have not done this but am interested in the answer. I'm in process of switching from Crashplan to Arq for backups. I'm currently using Arq with Backblaze B2 cloud storage and have started the lengthy upload over my slow home connection. One of the things that attracted me to Arq was the possibility of moving the data to a different cloud provider without starting over, as I'm doing now to escape from Crashplan.

Theoretically you could rent a virtual server from AWS or similar and perform the transfer yourself in the cloud, just as if you were using your own computer. Might take a few days, rather than weeks or months using a slow home connection.

blueman457

Post by blueman457 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:14 pm

tuningfork wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:37 am
I have not done this but am interested in the answer. I'm in process of switching from Crashplan to Arq for backups. I'm currently using Arq with Backblaze B2 cloud storage and have started the lengthy upload over my slow home connection. One of the things that attracted me to Arq was the possibility of moving the data to a different cloud provider without starting over, as I'm doing now to escape from Crashplan.

Theoretically you could rent a virtual server from AWS or similar and perform the transfer yourself in the cloud, just as if you were using your own computer. Might take a few days, rather than weeks or months using a slow home connection.
I just heard back from Arq; you cannot automatically move backups from one cloud provider to another. "Arq stores things slightly differently for different destination types to accommodate limits in some destination types. "

slbnoob

Post by slbnoob » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:56 pm

There are documented ways to transfer from Amazon S3 to Google Cloud Storage. This page describes how to do it depending on your method (gsutil CLI or Google Console interface).

oneleaf

Post by oneleaf » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:05 pm

I have transferred from Amazon S3 to Google Cloud Platform. Note, there is significant data transfer out charges so doing it fresh from your local PC will be cheaper (generally free).

bandoba

Post by bandoba » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:07 pm

oneleaf wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:05 pm
I have transferred from Amazon S3 to Google Cloud Platform. Note, there is significant data transfer out charges so doing it fresh from your local PC will be cheaper (generally free).
Did you transfer your data that was backed up on CrashPlan or this was something else? I am wondering if whoever transferred their data from CrashPlan servers to Google Cloud Platform, can you point me to specific Google Cloud Platform service/product you are planning to use? Thanks!

oneleaf

Post by oneleaf » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:57 am

bandoba wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:07 pm
oneleaf wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:05 pm
Did you transfer your data that was backed up on CrashPlan or this was something else? I am wondering if whoever transferred their data from CrashPlan servers to Google Cloud Platform, can you point me to specific Google Cloud Platform service/product you are planning to use? Thanks!
The data I had was on Amazon S3. I use Amazon Web Services directly (not through a 3rd party service).

The Google Cloud Platform service I use is called "Google Cloud Storage", and I specifically use their Nearline service, which is $0.01 a gigabyte.

bandoba

Post by bandoba » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:06 am

oneleaf wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:57 am

The data I had was on Amazon S3. I use Amazon Web Services directly (not through a 3rd party service).

The Google Cloud Platform service I use is called "Google Cloud Storage", and I specifically use their Nearline service, which is $0.01 a gigabyte.
Thanks oneleaf!