Tipping question....Applebees

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
F150HD

Tipping question....Applebees

Post by F150HD » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:16 pm

See pic of receipt from a local Applebees this weekend. See any issues with the suggested gratuities? (as I do)
or is this normal?

Last edited by F150HD on Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TomatoTomahto

Re: Tipping question....Applebees

Post by TomatoTomahto » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:19 pm

Sure, they’re computing a tip on tax.

I generally don’t tip on tax, but am otherwise generous.

viking112347

Post by viking112347 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:21 pm

daveydoo

Post by daveydoo » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:11 pm

F150HD wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:16 pm
See any issues with the suggested gratuities?
Yes. It looks like they are expressed as a percent of the amount spent at Applebee's. They should be expressed as a percent of the amount spent at any other restaurant anywhere.

Sorry :D . If you've tried a bunch of others and love Applebee's, stick with it of course. If not, you could use this as an opportunity to branch out a little without really spending more.

taguscove

Post by taguscove » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:33 pm

The main problem is that Americans still tip. Tipping is an antiquated and unnecessary step in the dining experience that adds zero value. It creates big disparities in pay between the front and back restaurant staff.

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:47 pm

My solution: I moved to a state without sales tax :)

When traveling to other states, I tend to just calculate the amount myself. In my head. With the pre tax amount as the basis. And I generally tip well.

dumbbunny

Post by dumbbunny » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:59 pm

My wife's aunt lived in an 8% sales tax state and when she got the restaurant bill she would look at the amount of tax and multiply it by 2 and that is what she tipped - 16% - if service was to her liking.
“It’s the curse of old men to realize that in the end we control nothing." "Homeland" episode, "Gerontion"

climber2020

Post by climber2020 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:06 pm

taguscove wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:33 pm
The main problem is that Americans still tip. Tipping is an antiquated and unnecessary step in the dining experience that adds zero value. It creates big disparities in pay between the front and back restaurant staff.
It's because servers get paid 2 bucks an hour. In every other country in the world they get paid properly. I'm surprised how many people are still ignorant to this fact.

Either do something to change the law or leave a proper tip. Shafting the low man on the totem pole accomplishes nothing except increase the likelihood that your food will be tampered with the next time you visit.

mega317

Post by mega317 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:13 pm

F150HD wrote:
Is your issue:
1. There is a suggested tip at all?
2. The suggested percentages are too high (or too low, or not granular enough)?
3. The calculations include the tax?

My philosophy on tipping is thus:
A) The server needs and appreciates the money more than I do, so I tip generously.
B) The amount of tip is a horrible feedback system, so I don't tip less for poor service without first giving some real feedback. Like "could you come by a little more/less often? Thanks" Then if they ignore me I might tip less. If they screw up the order and apologize and fix it, so what we all make mistakes.

EddyB

Post by EddyB » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:23 pm

climber2020 wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:06 pm
taguscove wrote:
It's because servers get paid 2 bucks an hour. In every other country in the world they get paid properly. I'm surprised how many people are still ignorant to this fact.

Either do something to change the law or leave a proper tip. Shafting the low man on the totem pole accomplishes nothing except increase the likelihood that your food will be tampered with the next time you visit.
If we're commenting on surprise, I'm surprised how many people don't realise that employers are required to make up the difference to tipped employees to bring them up to the federal minimum wage (and perhaps a higher state or local one) if their hourly rate plus tips falls short of that threshold. Whether that's "proper" pay or not, I couldn't say, but it's clearly not servers being paid two bucks an hour. Isn't that why we see tip jars at counter service locations, so the employers can reduce their labor costs by treating the staff as "tipped"? I'm all for changing these laws, but the food and beverage industry opposes
it and employers in that business try to convince their employees that any changes to the tipping practice will work against them.
Last edited by EddyB on Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

mega317

Post by mega317 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:35 pm

EddyB wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:23 pm
I'm surprised how many people don't realise that employers are required to make up the difference to tipped employees to bring them up to the federal minimum wage (and perhaps a higher state or local one) if their hourly rate plus tips falls short of that threshold.
It's been a while but when I was waiting tables, one table per hour would get me pretty close to minimum wage. So I could have had something like 80% of tables tip nothing and it wouldn't have affected my employer at all.

So I 100% agree with this:
climber2020 wrote:
Shafting the low man on the totem pole accomplishes nothing

sambb

Post by sambb » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:38 pm

the real question is not only tipping, but also applebees in general - is it worth eating there for $45? Value of the meal may be more impactful than the amount of the tip. The tip is smaller than the food.

EddyB

Post by EddyB » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:40 pm

mega317 wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:35 pm
EddyB wrote:
I'm surprised how many people don't realise that employers are required to make up the difference to tipped employees to bring them up to the federal minimum wage (and perhaps a higher state or local one) if their hourly rate plus tips falls short of that threshold.
It's been a while but when I was waiting tables, one table per hour would get me pretty close to minimum wage. So I could have had something like 80% of tables tip nothing and it wouldn't have affected my employer at all.

So I 100% agree with this:
climber2020 wrote:
Shafting the low man on the totem pole accomplishes nothing
So the $2/hr wasn't accurate or relevant? Is that what you're saying? I don't at all think the right way to end the tipping norm is to just stop tipping waitstaff, but if waitstaff at any sort of "fast casual" and up kind of place started only making minimum wage, I think employers would quickly find themselves with a lower quality labor pool, and I expect that would hurt their business.

scrabbler1

Post by scrabbler1 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:41 pm

I have eaten at my local Applebee's a few times a year and this part of the receipt with the suggested tips has tipping amounts based on the pretax total. So it looks like this is not necessarily a national policy. :confused

mega317

Post by mega317 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:52 pm

EddyB wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:40 pm
So the $2/hr wasn't accurate or relevant? Is that what you're saying? I don't at all think the right way to end the tipping norm is to just stop tipping waitstaff, but if waitstaff at any sort of "fast casual" and up kind of place started only making minimum wage, I think employers would quickly find themselves with a lower quality labor pool, and I expect that would hurt their business.
I typed a few responses to this but then realized I don't understand what you're trying to argue.

My point was that even if almost nobody tipped it wouldn't drop servers below minimum wage, so the fact that employers need to make up the difference is irrelevant.

letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:16 am

EddyB wrote:
climber2020 wrote:
taguscove wrote:

If we're commenting on surprise, I'm surprised how many people don't realise that employers are required to make up the difference to tipped employees to bring them up to the federal minimum wage (and perhaps a higher state or local one) if their hourly rate plus tips falls short of that threshold. Whether that's "proper" pay or not, I couldn't say, but it's clearly not servers being paid two bucks an hour. Isn't that why we see tip jars are counter service locations, so the employees can reduce their labor costs by treating the staff as "tipped"? I'm all for changing these laws, but the food and beverage industry opposes
it and employers in that business try to convince their employees that any changes to the tipping practice will work against them.
Speaking of surprise, I'm surprised some people don't know that in 7 states the minimum wage for servers is the same as the usual minimum wage. This includes the 3 states on the west coast, all of which have minimum wages over $10 per hour, headed to $15 per hour. In these cases, not only do I not tip on tax, I tip less than 15%. When the minimum wage is $15 I plan to tip 10%. Right now I tip around 14%. I've been told it's a livable wage so perhaps I shouldn't tip at all.

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:27 am

viking112347 wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:21 pm
2010 article about this topic.

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/aug/03 ... s-20100803
A spokeswoman for MasterCard said don't blame the card companies. She said the recommended tips are either put there by the establishment or by the card processor.
The main thing to realize is that all the players benefit from overcharging you except you. If you pay more, they all get a bigger slice. Do you think anyone is going to say no to getting more? Hence, if you're going to be lazy and take someone else's calculation, don't be surprised if they choose to maximize it in their favor.

OT, but I tried glancing at one of those credit card agreement changes related to how charges and payments are added up and when and how, and it's dizzying how many ways it can be done. Same for bank checking account balances with checks and deposits. But when they deposit and withdraw and the order they do it makes a small difference, but multiplied by millions of accounts, that's a lot of extra pennies they're trying to collect. It may seem trivial, but it's millions or billions of dollars!
How We Apply Payments
We apply payments and credits at our discretion, including in a manner most favorable or convenient for us.
https://www.discover.com/credit-cards/c ... PAYINT_TXT
https://www.forbes.com/sites/halahtoury ... dd931a6daa
https://www.creditcards.com/credit-card ... t-1271.php

knight rider

Post by knight rider » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:26 am

The difference in tipping on tax or not is 59 cents at 20%. Is it that big of a deal over 59 cents?

dbr

Post by dbr » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:42 am

It is a total non-issue. The customer is perfectly capable of deciding how much to TIP.

I don't know about normal, but it is increasingly common, evidently.

JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:01 am

F150HD wrote:
Well, it's a bit of an issue that so many people can't do a simple math approximation like this in their heads that the restaurant feels compelled to do it for them.

Or maybe they're also doing it as a sort of passive-aggressive nudge to get people to tip 15-20%, or at all. Which would be a sad commentary on their patrons as well.
Stay on target...

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:13 am

I don't see paying an extra 59 cents a big deal if you don't want to calculate your own tip.
Personally - I always round off the tip to the nearest dollar anyway (e.g. for this bill I might put either $9 or $10 on the tip line - if I brought my young kids and put the wait-staff through a lot of work without drinking alcohol (which makes the work to tip ratio higher) I might do $12).

CyclingDuo

Post by CyclingDuo » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:15 am

F150HD wrote:
See pic of receipt from a local Applebees this weekend. See any issues with the suggested gratuities? (as I do)
or is this normal?

Like a lot of establishments do these days, they have based the suggested tip amount on the total price including tax. This is an age old argument that fires up a lot of emotion. There are no written rules, but the principle of the establishment listing the suggested tip based on the total bill with tax certainly ruffles feathers.

Either way, the server usually only goes home with 1/2 the tip amount after tipping out the bartenders, bussers, hosts, kitchen staff, and in some cases even the manager. It's a really whacked out system here in the US akin to paying protection money for those who serve and work at establishments that pay their staff low wages. Tough culture to work in for sure.

Sales tax aside....

Remember the days when tipping 10% was standard?
Remember the days when tipping 15% was standard?
Remember the days when tipping 20% was standard?

Tipping etiquette is all over the map. Not only on percentages, but also the issue raised in this post - pre or post tax. And you wonder why the wait staff enthusiastically pushes you to consider appetizers, additional drinks, dessert? It's not because they have any concern for your nutritional or health needs. It's all about getting that tip higher...

One BH solution - cook and eat (and drink!) at home more often. :mrgreen:
Last edited by CyclingDuo on Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:18 am

1. Yes, I remember when 10% was standard

2. I understand the tip is or should be based before tax

Ron

Post by Ron » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:20 am

At 18% (what I normally tip) you would be paying the server (who probably splits the tip with others, who also work a probably minimum wage job) an additional 53 cents.

Really - this upsets you? :oops:

- Ron

dbr

Post by dbr » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:24 am

I think precalculating the tip amount is an obvious convenience to the customer in providing a figure to easily write on the credit card receipt. Before doing this one usually would be figuring the nearest amount is whole dollars or dollar bills and quarters to leave on the table.

Running the calculation on food plus tax rather than on food alone is a total non-issue. The only point is paying the employees what you think they are worth.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:27 am

sambb wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:38 pm
the real question is not only tipping, but also applebees in general - is it worth eating there for $45? Value of the meal may be more impactful than the amount of the tip. The tip is smaller than the food.
+1. I think the tipping culture in the U.S. makes zero sense, so instead of complaining about it, we just don't eat out. It of course isn't the only reason we don't eat out, but it is certainly a factor.

flamesabers

Post by flamesabers » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:31 am

letsgobobby wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:16 am
Speaking of surprise, I'm surprised some people don't know that in 7 states the minimum wage for servers is the same as the usual minimum wage. This includes the 3 states on the west coast, all of which have minimum wages over $10 per hour, headed to $15 per hour. In these cases, not only do I not tip on tax, I tip less than 15%. When the minimum wage is $15 I plan to tip 10%. Right now I tip around 14%. I've been told it's a livable wage so perhaps I shouldn't tip at all.
The state I live in (Minnesota) is one of those seven states that requires employers to pay tipped employees at least the minimum wage. Minnesota's minimum wage for large employers is $9.50 an hour and $7.75 an hour for small employers. The minimum wage will go up to $9.65 and $7.87 for large and small employers respectively on 01/01/2018.

Excluding my favorite restaurant, I rarely go out to eat. When I do go out to eat, I only tip on the pre-tax amount and it's probably between 10-15%. For my favorite restaurant I make an exception and tip more then 15% because the service is superb. I almost always get seated within seconds of walking in the door, the servers know my favorite beverage since I'm a regular, I get refills even before my glass is completely empty and the food is very tasty.

fposte

Post by fposte » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:32 am

EddyB wrote:
Isn't that why we see tip jars are counter service locations, so the employees can reduce their labor costs by treating the staff as "tipped"?
It has to be at least $30 per month "customarily and regularly" for the employee to be classified as tipped; at least in my area, I doubt that many counter jars get there. However, wage irregularities and misclassifications are pretty common, so I've no doubt that some employers are doing as you suggest whether the tips meet the standard or not.

Rainmaker41

Post by Rainmaker41 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:41 am

I tip 15% of the pre-tax amount (although I don't eat out often), and consider this generous; the standard used to be 10%, so I have drawn a line in the sand. I advocate for a no-tipping culture in which restaurants pay the true market cost of their labor (as is theoretically the case for other businesses; I see no reason why restaurants are special).
My username is not about money, but is my old online gaming username. I can't say that I make a great deal of money; I just hate spending it. Married the most loving woman in the world October 2017.

dbr

Post by dbr » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:42 am

letsgobobby wrote:
Speaking of surprise, I'm surprised some people don't know that in 7 states the minimum wage for servers is the same as the usual minimum wage. This
Excluding my favorite restaurant, I rarely go out to eat. When I do go out to eat, I only tip on the pre-tax amount and it's probably between 10-15%.
What difference would it make to TIP 15% on pre-tax or (1-tax)*15% on after tax? If your range is 10%-15% a 6% tax only moves things around by 1 percentage point or so anyway, and a larger tax by more.

I think there is some kind of emotional content to this business of Applebees computing on with-tax that hasn't surfaced in this discussion yet. There is also some emotional content about suggesting tips at all (the OP) that hasn't completely surfaced either.

Of course there is so much variation of feelings and opinions about tipping at all that this thread may be no more than just rehashing that.

open_circuit

Post by open_circuit » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:47 am

fposte wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:32 am
EddyB wrote:
Isn't that why we see tip jars are counter service locations, so the employees can reduce their labor costs by treating the staff as "tipped"?
It has to be at least $30 per month "customarily and regularly" for the employee to be classified as tipped; at least in my area, I doubt that many counter jars get there. However, wage irregularities and misclassifications are pretty common, so I've no doubt that some employers are doing as you suggest whether the tips meet the standard or not.
I worked at a bagel shop on weekends about 15 years ago. We had a counter tip jar that was split 3 or 4 ways, depending on how many of us worked each day. It's been a long time, but it seems like $30 total over Saturday and Sunday in one weekend was a fairly regular occurrence for us. We were paid better than minimum wage at the time, not considered tipped employees.

fposte

Post by fposte » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:00 am

open_circuit wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:47 am
fposte wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:32 am

I worked at a bagel shop on weekends about 15 years ago. We had a counter tip jar that was split 3 or 4 ways, depending on how many of us worked each day. It's been a long time, but it seems like $30 total over Saturday and Sunday in one weekend was a fairly regular occurrence for us. We were paid better than minimum wage at the time, not considered tipped employees.
Yeah, that's why I said "in my area"--over $160 in tip-jar cash over a single weekend would be pretty surprising here. I've no doubt that in some big cities you could get that.

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:01 am

When I first saw pre-calculated tip size suggestions, I was a little bit offended but I quickly got over it.

I have come to appreciate that seeing those suggestions is preferable imo to seeing diners whip out their phones to calculate tip sizes because they are incapable of figuring a tip mentally or they want to calculate a tip to the penny. Neither the need for printed suggestions or the reliance upon a calculator to figure a tip is a good look for the status of the general public.

Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:27 am

My wife and I eat out several times a week....lunch or dinner. A good number of restaurants show suggested tipping. I ignore them as I can still calculate in my head an appropriate gratuity. I tip according to whether I am pleased with the service. Mostly 15% for average service, but sometimes 20 to 25% for good service, but I have given 5% if I am not pleased or felt ignored by the server (one time it was just a nickle...I was really P...d)
People should not say everything they think. They should think about everything they say.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:37 am

Doom&Gloom wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:01 am
When I first saw pre-calculated tip size suggestions, I was a little bit offended but I quickly got over it.

I have come to appreciate that seeing those suggestions is preferable imo to seeing diners whip out their phones to calculate tip sizes because they are incapable of figuring a tip mentally or they want to calculate a tip to the penny. Neither the need for printed suggestions or the reliance upon a calculator to figure a tip is a good look for the status of the general public.
I give what I want for tip. Feel sorry for people who can't do the calcs in their head. I can also count back the right change for a purchase. :D

DetroitRick

Post by DetroitRick » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:42 am

I see it all the time, and it doesn't bother me at all. As to the tip on tax, no problem here. But I actually like the whole custom of tipping anyway.

But a $75 bill @ 6% tax is $4.50 tax, so an "extra" $.90 tip at 20%. I round my tips up and usually tip more anyway. But we've been on a multi-year streak of having great service everywhere we eat. Which makes me even less concerned. Just lucky on that I guess. Anyway, it's just not something I will ever likely worry about.

As to the math part of it - that's okay by me too. If they have patrons who can't compute 10%, 15%, 20% or 25% in their heads, so be it. I know many who people that are a bit math-challenged, so whatever works. Hate to penalize the service staff though. But I would love to start getting a math discount myself - maybe hand me a test before I get a check - and get a token discount on completion. But then you'd have folks cheating with their apps anyway :)

goingup

Post by goingup » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:54 am

dumbbunny wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:59 pm
My wife's aunt lived in an 8% sales tax state and when she got the restaurant bill she would look at the amount of tax and multiply it by 2 and that is what she tipped - 16% - if service was to her liking.
I'm in a 10% sales tax locale so I double the tax as tip. Easy, just like your aunt did!

scrabbler1

Post by scrabbler1 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:01 am

Most restaurants have websites so if I am dissatisfied with some element of service I will let the management know later, when I am home and can go on line to type up a formal response. I usually get a call back from the store's manager so I can discuss things further. I would only leave a subpar tip if the server was really bad. Otherwise, I'll leave 15%. For better service, I'll leave 20%-25%, especially at places I eat at often so the servers know me and I want to keep getting their good service. Building up goodwill with servers is good in case I have a problem with the food and need their help in getting that resolved.

rebellovw

Post by rebellovw » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:15 am

climber2020 wrote:
taguscove wrote:

Agreed 100%. Tip properly cheapskates.

aristotelian

Post by aristotelian » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:17 am

I find it extremely problematic that the amounts are rounded down (e.g. $8.2224 to $8.22). That is stiffing the server .0024 cents so I would always prefer to round up to the nearest penny, especially when leaving only 15%.

hogfanboy

Post by hogfanboy » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:30 am

Has anybody ever considered tipping a flat rate? Sometimes it grinds my teeth a little when I go to a steak house and tipping at 20% gets to be a huge amount vs something like an Applebee’s where the bill is much lower but the staff works just as hard.

Thinking off the top of my head maybe some rule of $5 per guess per hour ( assuming the restaurant service isn't slow)
Last edited by hogfanboy on Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:37 am

hogfanboy wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:30 am
Has anybody ever considered tipping a flat rate? Sometimes it grinds my teeth a little when I go to a steak house and tipping at 20% gets to be a huge amount vs something like an Applebee’s where the bill is much lower but the staff works just as hard.

Thinking off the top of my head maybe some rule of $5 per guess per hour ( assuming the restaurant it slow in service)
I definitely sometimes tip higher than 20% if I'm in a lower-tier restaurant and the service is superb (and I don't order alcohol).
My observation is that alcohol oftentimes makes the difference between a big tip or a little tip (since it drives the bill up so much) and yet the waiter doesn't really work much harder.

letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:48 am

dbr wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:42 am
letsgobobby wrote:
Speaking of surprise, I'm surprised some people don't know that in 7 states the minimum wage for servers is the same as the usual minimum wage. This
Excluding my favorite restaurant, I rarely go out to eat. When I do go out to eat, I only tip on the pre-tax amount and it's probably between 10-15%.
What difference would it make to TIP 15% on pre-tax or (1-tax)*15% on after tax? If your range is 10%-15% a 6% tax only moves things around by 1 percentage point or so anyway, and a larger tax by more.

I think there is some kind of emotional content to this business of Applebees computing on with-tax that hasn't surfaced in this discussion yet. There is also some emotional content about suggesting tips at all (the OP) that hasn't completely surfaced either.

Of course there is so much variation of feelings and opinions about tipping at all that this thread may be no more than just rehashing that.
and about tipping in general - it all goes without saying.

My point was to correct those who presume all servers across the country are paid the federal tipped wage of $2.xx. It's not true. And in my part of the country, moving over the next several years to $15 per hour - a wage that was advertised as a 'living wage' - it's a fair question to ask whether tipping convention should change.

jadd806

Post by jadd806 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:37 pm

dbr wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:42 am
It is a total non-issue. The customer is perfectly capable of deciding how much to TIP.

I don't know about normal, but it is increasingly common, evidently.
Well, most people can't manage basic math, let alone math involving percentages. Can't help but chuckle every time I see someone pull out the calculator app on their smartphone when they're handed their check at a restaurant.

jadd806

Post by jadd806 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:39 pm

CyclingDuo wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:15 am
Sales tax aside....

Remember the days when tipping 10% was standard?
Remember the days when tipping 15% was standard?
Remember the days when tipping 20% was standard?
I've wondered this many times myself. In a decade or two, will tipping 50% be standard?

madsinger

Post by madsinger » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:01 pm

My wife and I went to a pizza place for dinner last weekend. We ordered a small pizza to split. They brought out complimentary rolls and olive oil for dipping. We drink water with our meals. We had a nice meal, nice ambiance, and a chance to talk without distraction for an hour. Our bill was $11.99 before tax, $12.89 after. The waiter took our order, brought us rolls, brought our drinks, refilled our water glasses, (brought extra rolls), brought the bill, charged the card. And did not interrupt our conversation...while we tied up a table for an hour. What should the tip be?

$1.20 says the 10% tipper before tax.
$2.58 says the 20% tipper after tax.

I left $5.

I feel like it's a bargain luxury.

-Brad.

bengal22

Post by bengal22 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:12 pm

madsinger wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:01 pm
My wife and I went to a pizza place for dinner last weekend. We ordered a small pizza to split. They brought out complimentary rolls and olive oil for dipping. We drink water with our meals. We had a nice meal, nice ambiance, and a chance to talk without distraction for an hour. Our bill was $11.99 before tax, $12.89 after. The waiter took our order, brought us rolls, brought our drinks, refilled our water glasses, (brought extra rolls), brought the bill, charged the card. And did not interrupt our conversation...while we tied up a table for an hour. What should the tip be?

I left $5.

-Brad.

This exemplifies one of my concerns with a set % for tipping. The waitress at the local diner works just as hard as the waitress at the high end steak or farm to table restaurants. I really think 20% is not enough for the waitress at a Bob Evans that is efficient, friendly, and not too present. However, I think a $30 dollar tip for an acceptable server is overpriced. I try to take that into consideration when tipping.

dbr

Post by dbr » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:19 pm

bengal22 wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:12 pm
madsinger wrote:

I left $5.

-Brad.

This exemplifies one of my concerns with a set % for tipping. The waitress at the local diner works just as hard as the waitress at the high end steak or farm to table restaurants. I really think 20% is not enough for the waitress at a Bob Evans that is efficient, friendly, and not too present. However, I think a $30 dollar tip for an acceptable server is overpriced. I try to take that into consideration when tipping.
But of course there is no set % for tipping excepting maybe a place that imposes a gratuity on large groups and that sort of thing. Somebody printing some numbers on a receipt means nothing. I agree that I tend to think about the dollar amount absolutely as much as about the %.

Pops1860

Post by Pops1860 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:23 pm

In addition to the (apparently typical) rule of 20% for good service, with 25% when service is worthy of extra consideration for the wait staff, we also have another guideline that we apply when appropriate. If the meal is at a particularly inexpensive restaurant (think local mom and pop diner for breakfast), we always leave at least $2 per seat at that meal. These wait staff work as hard as staff at more expensive eateries, and we feel it appropriate not to penalize them just because they work where meals are especially inexpensive.

When one of our daughters waited part time during her college years, she used to say she appreciated the $2 per seat whenever it occurred, she was working in one of those mom and pop establishments that I don't know how they made ends meet on what they charged for the food they sold.

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:33 pm

madsinger wrote:

I left $5.

-Brad.
If I tie up a server's table socializing with friends after the meal is finished, I always tip very generously if other customers could have been seated there. If the place is dead, I may tip a little above normal. I would not try to persuade others to do the same; it is just what I feel is right.