Tipping question....Applebees

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Abe

Re: Tipping question....Applebees

Post by Abe » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:35 pm

It's easy to calculate 10% of any number in your head. For a 15% tip, just calculate 10% and add half back. For 20% just calculate 10% and double it. But, this thread demonstrates all the problems with tipping. If restaurant owners would pay their waiters a decent salary as most other businesses do, the customer would not have to worry with all this. I think we will be seeing more restaurants getting away from tipping in the future.
Slow and steady wins the race.

mmcmonster

Post by mmcmonster » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:48 pm

I consider myself a bit on the heavy tipper side of this debate.

When I get my $15 haircut I leave a $5 tip. When I go out to eat, 20% is fairly reasonable for me.

People in the service industry make less than me. A few extra dollars (the difference between a 15% and 20% tip) isn't much for me but they seem to really appreciate it. I can afford it and it goes straight to the waitstaff, as opposed to the restaurant/franchise owner. (Bringing this back on-topic: ) Which means it re-enters the economy faster (higher dollar velocity).

GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:55 pm

Ignore the calculations and give a tip based on the service provided. I worked as a waitress when I was 17 years old and I still remember in great detail the five customers who gave me really big tips (usually accompanied by some advice about my future). As a result I am a big tipper when the service is good.

downshiftme

Post by downshiftme » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:06 pm

My wife and I went to a pizza place for dinner last weekend. We ordered a small pizza to split. They brought out complimentary rolls and olive oil for dipping. We drink water with our meals. We had a nice meal, nice ambiance, and a chance to talk without distraction for an hour. Our bill was $11.99 before tax, $12.89 after. The waiter took our order, brought us rolls, brought our drinks, refilled our water glasses, (brought extra rolls), brought the bill, charged the card. And did not interrupt our conversation...while we tied up a table for an hour. What should the tip be?
After an hour of nice conversation and tying up their table, I would have tipped at least $10, or possibly just $11.99 to be clear how much I appreciated what sounds like excellent service. A modest bill at a reasonable place shouldn't mean the servers didn't work hard and didn't deserve reasonable pay for the time and attention they delivered. I've had much worse service at much more expensive places, and try to keep that in mind when tipping.

I'm not a big fan of tipping and I much preferred the European experience of servers being fairly paid so no tip is expected, but since that is not the system we have here, I do my best to encourage good service with good tips and discourage poor service with meager tips. I sometimes have the impression that waitstaff try to size up their patrons as good or bad tippers and provide good or bad service based on their guess. This really bothers me, but places that provide good service regardless earn both repeat business and excellent tips. Bad service hurts both the server (with bad tips) and the establishment when diners don't return.

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:27 pm

mega317 wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:13 pm
F150HD wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:16 pm
See any issues with the suggested gratuities?
Is your issue:
1. There is a suggested tip at all?
2. The suggested percentages are too high (or too low, or not granular enough)?
3. The calculations include the tax?

My philosophy on tipping is thus:
A) The server needs and appreciates the money more than I do, so I tip generously.
B) The amount of tip is a horrible feedback system, so I don't tip less for poor service without first giving some real feedback. Like "could you come by a little more/less often? Thanks" Then if they ignore me I might tip less. If they screw up the order and apologize and fix it, so what we all make mistakes.
I would not call that little chart a suggested tip. They do this because a lot of people are not capable of calculating a percentage. I don't think anyone believes you should tip on tax, so I don't know where they are getting that.

jlcnuke

Post by jlcnuke » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:10 pm

munemaker wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:27 pm
mega317 wrote:
F150HD wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:16 pm
See any issues with the suggested gratuities?
Is your issue:

My philosophy on tipping is thus:
A) The server needs and appreciates the money more than I do, so I tip generously.
B) The amount of tip is a horrible feedback system, so I don't tip less for poor service without first giving some real feedback. Like "could you come by a little more/less often? Thanks" Then if they ignore me I might tip less. If they screw up the order and apologize and fix it, so what we all make mistakes.
I would not call that little chart a suggested tip. They do this because a lot of people are not capable of calculating a percentage. I don't think anyone believes you should tip on tax, so I don't know where they are getting that.
I've always tipped on the total bill, including tax. In fact, this thread is the first time I can recall ever hearing anyone saying it should be done the other way. When I worked as a waiter for ~1.5 years in Missouri back in the 90's, I'm pretty sure most of my tips were 15% or more of the total bill.

In some places, tipping is necessary for the servers to make anywhere close to a "decent" living (I'm talking $10+/hour or so). In most places I've been, however, servers can make a VERY good living with the US tipping system. I think I averaged $1-200/shift on the weekends (had to deal with the drunks coming for food after the bars closed though) in tips at a Country Kitchen back then, weekdays was more like $20-30 though for the whole 8 hour shift.

Later, I worked in the kitchen at Red Lobster and was quite envious of the servers and eventually convinced the manager to let me change position. I only had ~6 tables per night, but I'd change out 4-5 of them per hour on average I'd guess for most of the dinner rush with the "small" bills (table of two with one or no drinks) averaging $50-75. At %15 that would have been $30-$56 in tips per hour on a really bad day. In reality, $100-150 was a more regular check and 20% was a fairly normal tip amount for an average of closer to $100/hour in tips during the dinner hours. An 8 hour shift was netting me $3-400 on a good night at $150-250 on a bad night in tips.

When I go out to expensive restaurants I cringe at the thought that we, as a society, are still tipping based on a percent of the cost. 4 of us at an expensive place is going to be $3-400 minimum on food and drinks and a MAX of two hours. That's a MINIMUM of $45 for two hours of work at a basic 15% tip rate... for ONE table. The server likely has at least 4-5 tables, meaning 15% tips from each during a two hour dinner rush would be at least $90/hour in tips, likely more. Being a server isn't "easy" work, but there's no way that any server I've ever seen was "doing $90/hour worth of work", even after they tip out the cooks etc in the establishments that do that.

We really need to get this country in line with most of the world with the whole "pay them a decent wage and get rid of tipping" imo.

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:25 pm

knight rider wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:26 am
The difference in tipping on tax or not is 59 cents at 20%. Is it that big of a deal over 59 cents?
Completely missed the point of this thread.

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:26 pm

scrabbler1 wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:41 pm
I have eaten at my local Applebee's a few times a year and this part of the receipt with the suggested tips has tipping amounts based on the pretax total. So it looks like this is not necessarily a national policy. :confused
:oops:

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:26 pm

sambb wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:38 pm
the real question is not only tipping, but also applebees in general - is it worth eating there for $45? Value of the meal may be more impactful than the amount of the tip. The tip is smaller than the food.
? I don't quite understand what you are saying. Is Applebees beneath you or something?

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:28 pm

Ron wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:20 am
At 18% (what I normally tip) you would be paying the server (who probably splits the tip with others, who also work a probably minimum wage job) an additional 53 cents.

Really - this upsets you? :oops:

- Ron
Psssssst....missed the point of the thread. Take the next exit and loop back.

At that, for a board of people constantly focused on paying lower and lower expense ratios to invest money, yea 53 cents does matter to some.

rkhusky

Post by rkhusky » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:34 pm

flamesabers wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:31 am
letsgobobby wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:16 am
Speaking of surprise, I'm surprised some people don't know that in 7 states the minimum wage for servers is the same as the usual minimum wage. This includes the 3 states on the west coast, all of which have minimum wages over $10 per hour, headed to $15 per hour. In these cases, not only do I not tip on tax, I tip less than 15%. When the minimum wage is $15 I plan to tip 10%. Right now I tip around 14%. I've been told it's a livable wage so perhaps I shouldn't tip at all.
The state I live in (Minnesota) is one of those seven states that requires employers to pay tipped employees at least the minimum wage. Minnesota's minimum wage for large employers is $9.50 an hour and $7.75 an hour for small employers. The minimum wage will go up to $9.65 and $7.87 for large and small employers respectively on 01/01/2018.

Excluding my favorite restaurant, I rarely go out to eat. When I do go out to eat, I only tip on the pre-tax amount and it's probably between 10-15%. For my favorite restaurant I make an exception and tip more then 15% because the service is superb. I almost always get seated within seconds of walking in the door, the servers know my favorite beverage since I'm a regular, I get refills even before my glass is completely empty and the food is very tasty.
Never knew this. See https://www.dol.gov/whd/state/tipped.htm

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:45 pm

munemaker wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:27 pm
They do this because a lot of people are not capable of calculating a percentage. I don't think anyone believes you should tip on tax, so I don't know where they are getting that.
+1

CyclingDuo

Post by CyclingDuo » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:02 pm

Pops1860 wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:23 pm
In addition to the (apparently typical) rule of 20% for good service, with 25% when service is worthy of extra consideration for the wait staff, we also have another guideline that we apply when appropriate.
25%????!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Pops,

Can I mow your lawn? Cut your hair? Carry your bags? Drive you in my Taxi? Make your coffee drink? Shovel your snow? Deliver your mail? Deliver your food? Shine your shoes? Clean your house? Deliver your furniture? Give you a massage? Sing you a song? And on and on?

I'd be happy to take 25% tip off your hands for all those services that I guarantee I would provide you worthy service! :moneybag :moneybag

I think this arrangement plugs into my FIRE calc quite well. 8-)

rbaldini

Post by rbaldini » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:24 pm

TomatoTomahto wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:19 pm
Sure, they’re computing a tip on tax.
And thereby increasing the total cost of your meal by about 1%, or about 50 cents in this case.

William4u

Post by William4u » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:03 pm

20% is the right tip if you can afford to go out. Servers make around $2/hour. They are often required to come in an hour early to set up and leave an hour late to break down, during which they make no tips and just get $2/hour. It is a hard job, they often get stiffed, they have no health insurance, many are single parents, and so 20% really isn't much to ask for.

PoppyA

Post by PoppyA » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:10 pm

I wish for educated servers. It seems no one knows what good service is anymore. I don't begrudge helping a sister or brother out, but sometimes I just want to not be interrupted when I'm talking, or have a mouth full of food :shock:
"La Bella Luna"

Wildebeest

Post by Wildebeest » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:31 pm

I do not go to Applebees. However I typically tip 20 % + if the service is OK on the taxed amount. More if I feel cared for. I am so grateful to be able to tip and not being dependent on tips. I think they work hard for their money and it s**ks to be a server at Applebees or any place your dependent on tips.

I like to read "Dear Abby" and I recall reading an question in which the person stated they could not afford the tip . "Dear Abby" advised them not go out to dinner.
The Golden Rule: One should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:37 pm

My wife was a waitress in her youth, and I was a cab driver, so we know what a difference a decent tip can make for an employee. We usually tip 20% - 25%, but we recently had service so bad that we debated leaving no tip. We settled on 10%.

reriodan

Post by reriodan » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:39 pm

Why do so many people who eat out get so anal about a few cents of tip? This always boggles my head. Eating out is such a horrible deal, yet when it comes to tipping the servers, people get so worked up over 50 cents.

Wildebeest

Post by Wildebeest » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:01 pm

May be eatiing out at Applebees is a horrible deal.

However it is priceless,if you get a good meal and great service and a 20 + % tip is right.

My 2 cents.

W.
The Golden Rule: One should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself.

mega317

Post by mega317 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:31 pm

F150HD wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:25 pm
Completely missed the point of this thread.
F150HD wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:28 pm
Psssssst....missed the point of the thread. Take the next exit and loop back.
I missed the point too. Threads derail when you don't specify.
mega317 wrote:
Is your issue:
Based on some other responses I'll add 4. People don't know how to do math?

Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:43 am

DaftInvestor wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:37 am
hogfanboy wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:30 am
Has anybody ever considered tipping a flat rate? Sometimes it grinds my teeth a little when I go to a steak house and tipping at 20% gets to be a huge amount vs something like an Applebee’s where the bill is much lower but the staff works just as hard.

Thinking off the top of my head maybe some rule of $5 per guess per hour ( assuming the restaurant it slow in service)
I definitely sometimes tip higher than 20% if I'm in a lower-tier restaurant and the service is superb (and I don't order alcohol).
My observation is that alcohol oftentimes makes the difference between a big tip or a little tip (since it drives the bill up so much) and yet the waiter doesn't really work much harder.
I don't do a flat rate. However, for many years I have recognized that servers should get compensated more for how hard they work and how pleasant and helpful they are than a straight percentage of the bill. Lately I am finding that the service and attitude seems to be more and more inversely proportional to the size of the bill. The food and the ambiance may be much better, but the character of the waitstaff, not so much.

So even though the range of the lowest to highest bill might be a 1:10 ratio. I raise up the bottom and lower the top so there is more like a 1:4 ratio. So now I set a base tip on how long and how hard the server has to work and them I raise and lower that up to 50%. This may result in a tip approaching 50% or under 10%. The amount of the bill has become mostly irrelevant to me.

I use a tip for service. It is not a guaranteed living wage. It is not an entitlement because somebody thinks they or the establishment are special. It is my choice to reward you or not, depending on how well you do your job. Imagine that.

maria00200

Post by maria00200 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:13 am

climber2020 wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:06 pm
taguscove wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:33 pm
The main problem is that Americans still tip. Tipping is an antiquated and unnecessary step in the dining experience that adds zero value. It creates big disparities in pay between the front and back restaurant staff.
It's because servers get paid 2 bucks an hour. In every other country in the world they get paid properly. I'm surprised how many people are still ignorant to this fact.

Either do something to change the law or leave a proper tip. Shafting the low man on the totem pole accomplishes nothing except increase the likelihood that your food will be tampered with the next time you visit.
I do believe you are wrong, at least in New York, servers are no longer paid only $2.00/hour. It has gone up, I'm not sure exactly how much but last I checked in the 7 or 8 or 9/hour range, and will continue to go up in the next few years. I think tipping is a dumb practice and it should be up to the employer to set a fair wage to their staff.

Seasonal

Post by Seasonal » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:25 am

I recently went to a restaurant that calculated percentages pre-tax on its receipt and post-tax on the credit card receipt.

How was it decided to tip waitstaff but not other low paid service people?

guitarguy

Post by guitarguy » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:14 am

When Mrs. Guitarguy and I eat out we generally tip 20% on the whole bill and round up to an even dollar if the service is good. Maybe a little less if it's not very good. 10% if it's really bad...pretty rare.

We tip every now and then on takeout at 1 local Chinese place that we frequent maybe once a month or less, and the owner still remembers our names and usual order. Super nice people and delicious food. Unless you get that type of relationship with a place...and even then it's a stretch...tipping on takeout is ridiculous.

If the tab is fairly reasonable, the people that subtract the tax or alcohol are probably the ones that drive 14 miles to fill gas for 10 cents cheaper. Honestly the difference is not large enough to worry about...may as well just be generous with an extra buck and move on with your day.
F150HD wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:26 pm
sambb wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:38 pm
the real question is not only tipping, but also applebees in general - is it worth eating there for $45? Value of the meal may be more impactful than the amount of the tip. The tip is smaller than the food.
? I don't quite understand what you are saying. Is Applebees beneath you or something?
I wouldn't say it's beneath me...to each their own...but in my experience Applebees generally all around sucks. If I had to pick a chain restaurant that would be about the last choice.

TRC

Post by TRC » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:52 am

This post is about an extra 58 cents to the server. :?

KlingKlang

Post by KlingKlang » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:32 am

dbr wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:42 am
I think there is some kind of emotional content to this business of Applebees computing on with-tax that hasn't surfaced in this discussion yet. There is also some emotional content about suggesting tips at all (the OP) that hasn't completely surfaced either.
Bingo. The thing that I hate about tipping is that after enjoying a meal I have to go through the emotional trauma of deciding how much money to give away that I am not absolutely required to. The fact that my wife is sitting across from me snarling "Don't leave a tip!" doesn't help either.
TRC wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:52 am
This post is about an extra 58 cents to the server. :?
I don't know about 58 cents but I will frequently order a meal other than what I would really like to try in order to save a dollar.

JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:37 am

KlingKlang wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:32 am
I will frequently order a meal other than what I would really like to try in order to save a dollar.
I, on the other hand, will happily spend an extra dollar to order a meal that I would really like to try.

No regrets so far! :beer
Stay on target...

warowits

Post by warowits » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:34 am

letsgobobby wrote:
I'm surprised some people don't know that in 7 states the minimum wage for servers is the same as the usual minimum wage. This includes the 3 states on the west coast, all of which have minimum wages over $10 per hour, headed to $15 per hour. In these cases, not only do I not tip on tax, I tip less than 15%. When the minimum wage is $15 I plan to tip 10%. Right now I tip around 14%. I've been told it's a livable wage so perhaps I shouldn't tip at all.

I absolutely hate the tipping system for this exact reason. My state has the highest minimum wage of any state, at $11.00 an hour, and you cannot pay a server less even if they get tips. So why do I still get receipts that calculate tips for me, with the smallest being 15%? Why is it a percent at all? Is it really twice as hard to serve a $60 dollar meal vs. a $30 one? There are counter service restaurants with tip lines on the receipt, but only if you pay by credit. Do I have to tip my server when I have to walk up and get my own food and poor my own drinks? Should I be tipping my Walmart cashier?

Somebody needs to fix this tipping nonsense. Just charge what it costs to pay your employees.
There are an army of people whose pay checks depend on convincing people to invest in ways that are against their self interest. This forum is the volunteer army that fights back!

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:53 am

warowits wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:34 am
letsgobobby wrote:
I'm surprised some people don't know that in 7 states the minimum wage for servers is the same as the usual minimum wage. This includes the 3 states on the west coast, all of which have minimum wages over $10 per hour, headed to $15 per hour. In these cases, not only do I not tip on tax, I tip less than 15%. When the minimum wage is $15 I plan to tip 10%. Right now I tip around 14%. I've been told it's a livable wage so perhaps I shouldn't tip at all.

I absolutely hate the tipping system for this exact reason. My state has the highest minimum wage of any state, at $11.00 an hour, and you cannot pay a server less even if they get tips. So why do I still get receipts that calculate tips for me, with the smallest being 15%? Why is it a percent at all? Is it really twice as hard to serve a $60 dollar meal vs. a $30 one? There are counter service restaurants with tip lines on the receipt, but only if you pay by credit. Do I have to tip my server when I have to walk up and get my own food and poor my own drinks? Should I be tipping my Walmart cashier?

Somebody needs to fix this tipping nonsense. Just charge what it costs to pay your employees.
FTW, even in states where servers aren't required to be paid minimum wage (such as mine), some restaurants still pay their servers. I wonder if the patrons at the Brazillian churrascaria my step-sister works at realize that their servers aren't making $2hr, but almost $10? Based upon what she makes (enough working 1 or 2 nights a week to pay for all her college tuition and living expenses), I highly doubt it. And this is in an environment where a server does not actually take orders or serve any food, they basically seat you and then bring your check (only thing they actually "serve" are alcoholic drinks).

dbr

Post by dbr » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:56 am

warowits wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:34 am
letsgobobby wrote:

Tipping in general whatever, but why would you pay any attention to what is on a receipt? Now when the day comes that the cash register has a sign over it that says "Did Not TIP" that lights up when your charge is registered, then things have gone too far. Kind of like this: https://brnskll.com/shares/didnt-wash-hands-alarm/

nickjoy

Post by nickjoy » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:25 pm

In my mind I always try and calculate the server's hourly wage.

I assume just six tables every hour, all with the exact same check as mine just to make averaging easy. If I had a $100 pretax bill, then the server is making $90/hr based on a 15% tip. $60/hr based on 10%. $30/hr based on 5%.

I just got a huge raise at my company and am just under making $30/hr. I don't understand how a person making $30/hr can pay another person $15/hr and be happy. I also think that most tips go unreported from taxes, when I was a server I was told to declare a quarter of what I actually made.

I think about all of that, grumble silently, grumble to my friends, and then pay between 10 and 15%. For bottled beer, bartenders are lucky if they get 50 cents from me, they literally just pop a cap and hand it to me.

I'm a cheapskate though.Everybody tells me tipping is customary in the service industry. I respond with, why don't you tip your plumber, mechanic, painter, garbage man, lawyer, etc. They all provide services that are much more vital than moving food 20 feet. I never got tipped when I was a mechanic.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:37 pm

I calculate the tip myself. It is not complicated. I will typically tip 20% on the food/drink bill if the service is good. 20% on total bill if service is great. 15% on the total bill if the service is okay. I round to the nearest dollar usually. The tax here is 10%. As others pointed out, if you really break things out the difference between 15% and 20% or calculating on the whole bill or pre-tax bill usually doesn't amount to much unless it is a very expensive restaurant. Giving the server an extra buck or two isn't going to kill me.

As to Applebee's, I don't have a problem with them calculating the suggested tip based on the total bill as that is what many people do. Obviously they want to err on the side of getting more for their employees.

maria00200

Post by maria00200 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:54 pm

nickjoy wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:25 pm

I assume just six tables every hour, all with the exact same check as mine just to make averaging easy. If I had a $100 pretax bill, then the server is making $90/hr based on a 15% tip. $60/hr based on 10%. $30/hr based on 5%.

I just got a huge raise at my company and am just under making $30/hr. I don't understand how a person making $30/hr can pay another person $15/hr and be happy. I also think that most tips go unreported from taxes, when I was a server I was told to declare a quarter of what I actually made.

I think about all of that, grumble silently, grumble to my friends, and then pay between 10 and 15%. For bottled beer, bartenders are lucky if they get 50 cents from me, they literally just pop a cap and hand it to me.

I'm a cheapskate though.Everybody tells me tipping is customary in the service industry. I respond with, why don't you tip your plumber, mechanic, painter, garbage man, lawyer, etc. They all provide services that are much more vital than moving food 20 feet. I never got tipped when I was a mechanic.
I agree with you 100%!! I tried reading the minimum wage for tipped workers chart for NYS, it's a little confusing but for my county, it's right around $8/hour. (And it's supposed to go up in the next couple years). So that means, in order to make regular minimum wage to be equal to any other minimum wage worker, like the cashier at the supermarket, the server has to make up the difference of $1.70 an hour. (Right now in my state and county, minimum wage is $9.70 for regular workers). At an average of 6 tables an hour, each table should leave 28 cents so the server will even it out to make regular minimum wage! Well we all know most people don't leave 28 cents, so the server ends up making something ridiculous like $30/hour average. Now why should some shmuck (no disrespect to servers just sayin) with no college degree be allowed to make $30/hour, and the same person who is working hard as a cashier, retail worker, etc only making $9.70! Makes no sense. This is why I think tipping makes no sense and everyone should just get fair wages based on their education and expertise. America is the only country in the world that tips and the whole world thinks it's dumb except us.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:59 pm

maria00200 wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:54 pm
nickjoy wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:25 pm

I agree with you 100%!! I tried reading the minimum wage for tipped workers chart for NYS, it's a little confusing but for my county, it's right around $8/hour. (And it's supposed to go up in the next couple years). So that means, in order to make regular minimum wage to be equal to any other minimum wage worker, like the cashier at the supermarket, the server has to make up the difference of $1.70 an hour. (Right now in my state and county, minimum wage is $9.70 for regular workers). At an average of 6 tables an hour, each table should leave 28 cents so the server will even it out to make regular minimum wage! Well we all know most people don't leave 28 cents, so the server ends up making something ridiculous like $30/hour average. Now why should some shmuck (no disrespect to servers just sayin) with no college degree be allowed to make $30/hour, and the same person who is working hard as a cashier, retail worker, etc only making $9.70! Makes no sense. This is why I think tipping makes no sense and everyone should just get fair wages based on their education and expertise. America is the only country in the world that tips and the whole world thinks it's dumb except us.
I've traveled to around 40 countries. America is not the only country that tips! Not even close. It is true that tips are a smaller percentage of the servers income in many other countries.

dbr

Post by dbr » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:02 pm

michaeljc70 wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:59 pm

I've traveled to around 40 countries. America is not the only country that tips! Not even close. It is true that tips are a smaller percentage of the servers income in many other countries.
Yes, the idea that tipping is a peculiarly American (aka United States of America) custom of shame is just not so. Very possibly a majority of the places in the world one might travel present the issue of learning the appropriate tipping custom and leave those who wish tipping did not exist with a pretty limited set of choices.

lgs88

Post by lgs88 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:08 pm

I'm amazed at how many people on this forum find being prompted to tip a personal affront. Think of it like the "honor box" at an unmanned roadside vegetable stand.

Tipping for food/drink service is just part the social contract in the US. Violate it at will; it's probably not gonna cost you anything but your self-respect, and maybe the servers will have a chuckle over you at the end of their shift.
merely an interested amateur

prudent

Post by prudent » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:08 pm

Topic is locked (topic exhausted, derailed).