Where do you get your news?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
tc101

Post by tc101 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:48 am

I'll start by answering my own question:

Economist magazine - I subscribe to the paper edition and this is my single best source of in depth news.
Time Magazine - I subscribe to the paper edition but may drop my subscription because it is much shallower than the econonmist.

New York Times online - This is my major source of online news. I pay for the service because I want to encourage in depth online news.
QZ.com - "Quartz" - Interesting stories. Not as well know as the other sources I list here.

PBS news hour - I don't watch it as much as I used to, but if I do sit down in front of the TV for news, this is what I watch
. | The most important thing you should know about me is that I am not an expert.

Silverado

Re: Where do you get your news?

Post by Silverado » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:06 am

Local news on tv while getting ready in morning. Often have NBC Nightly News on after work.

Basically only care about the weather, but try to be aware of general things.

I like sports and used to like being able to use ESPN.com to get news and scores. But those days are years past, now it is just ads, twitter posts and fantasy junk on there. At least it is also slow to load. Now I hit the search bar and get scores as needed.

Ruger

Post by Ruger » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:14 am

Exclusively on line. I haven't read a newspaper or watched network news in years.

midareff

Post by midareff » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:15 am

Fox, BBC, CNBC and ESPN, all online. Get the weather and forecast by cell app. Occasionally M* articles. USA or CNN when I want to read some haita news (negativity). Occasionally read the AARP & United Healthcare stuff. .. LOL, and then there is the condo board's monthly manager's newsletter.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:22 am

100% online.

Reuters for national/international news (I refuse to visit Fox News, CNN, etc)

Local TV station websites for local news.

Google Now Feed for random things.

wije

Post by wije » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:49 am

tc101 wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:48 am
Economist magazine - I subscribe to the paper edition and this is my single best source of in depth news.
It's not easy to answer your question without addressing how much our news is shaped by politics. The Economist is no exception although I confess it's better than most American news outlets. Here is its explanation how China lifted itself out of poverty:
https://www.economist.com/news/leaders/ ... should-aim

Nowhere does the Economist mention the CPC's land reforms or its expansion of healthcare (under Mao) as playing a role. It doesn't even acknowledge China's system of "state capitalism" which is *not* laissez faire. The authors apparently do not understand that building wealth (which capitalism is good for) is not the same as poverty eradication (for which capitalism is not well-suited). The impression I get from articles like this is that The Economist is seeking readers who just want to be encouraged how wonderful free markets are, as opposed to learning how the world works.

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:59 am

I used to like printed newspapers but stopped subscribing as it is hard to find one that is unbiased.

Tycoon

Post by Tycoon » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:30 am

From neighbors.
...I might be just beginning | I might be near the end. Enya | | C'est la vie

ccieemeritus

Post by ccieemeritus » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:33 am

Wall Street Journal. Reading it is my normal lunch activity.

bogglizer

Post by bogglizer » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:34 am

NPR on my drive to work. Apple News app during spare moments at work. Slashdot, Drudge Report, and Reuters online at home.

femur

Post by femur » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:53 am

Drudgereport

Reddit

CNN's website

local NPR station on the radio while commuting

DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:20 pm

wije wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:49 am
tc101 wrote:
It's not easy to answer your question without addressing how much our news is shaped by politics. The Economist is no exception although I confess it's better than most American news outlets. Here is its explanation how China lifted itself out of poverty:
https://www.economist.com/news/leaders/ ... should-aim

Nowhere does the Economist mention the CPC's land reforms or its expansion of healthcare (under Mao) as playing a role. It doesn't even acknowledge China's system of "state capitalism" which is *not* laissez faire. The authors apparently do not understand that building wealth (which capitalism is good for) is not the same as poverty eradication (for which capitalism is not well-suited). The impression I get from articles like this is that The Economist is seeking readers who just want to be encouraged how wonderful free markets are, as opposed to learning how the world works.
My husband gets the Economist so he can get UK specific news. But on a whole, he would like to cancel it, I don't read it. It's been wrong on multiple subjects.

Allan

Post by Allan » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:23 pm

On my iPhone, CNN.com & Twitter.

Ruger

Post by Ruger » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:25 pm

Tycoon wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:30 am
From neighbors.
That's called "gossip", lol. :D

Dominic

Post by Dominic » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:27 pm

A combination of Reddit, NPR, and the Washington Post. I supplement with the NY Times and occasionally BBC.

nedsaid

Post by nedsaid » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:31 pm

tc101 wrote:

I'll start by answering my own question:

Time Magazine - I subscribe to the paper edition but may drop my subscription because it is much shallower than the econonmist.

New York Times online - This is my major source of online news. I pay for the service because I want to encourage in depth online news.
QZ.com - "Quartz" - Interesting stories. Not as well know as the other sources I list here.

PBS news hour - I don't watch it as much as I used to, but if I do sit down in front of the TV for news, this is what I watch
I would recommend getting your news from a wider variety of sources than that. All of the sources you cite lean pretty heavily towards one side of the ideological spectrum. The Economist is probably the best way of getting an International perspective and its articles are in depth, it is an excellent magazine. I used to like PBS more than I do now, again it leans one way now and I would not consider it a neutral source of information.

I subscribe to the economist but read articles from both US and International sources. I follow the Real Clear website which aggregates articles in one place: Real Clear Politics, Real Clear World, Real Clear Defense, etc. I also read two or three blogs very religiously which link to numerous articles from reputable media sources. I do try to read stuff across the ideological spectrum.
A fool and his money are good for business.

CABob

Post by CABob » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:35 pm

Call me old fashioned, but I subscribe to the print editions of two local/regional newspapers. I can't imagine not having a newspaper with my morning coffee. In addition I have a radio and/or TV on for several hours a day tuned to news channels.
I do agree with the above poster who commented about trying to find unbiased paper and online sources.
Bob

KSOC

Post by KSOC » Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:26 pm

Drudge
Nightly Business Report
Twitter
Fox Business (my homepage)
Larry Kudlow Podcast

Drastically changed over the last 5 years. Used to enjoy a newspaper, local tv news (less & less local & more network tie ins) & local radio during day.
I'm having trust issues.
Too soon old, too late smart.

happyisland

Post by happyisland » Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:45 pm

Currently I read the Economist, and a bit of Washington Post for breaking news.

Thing is, I have recently had several smart people give me the advice to stop consuming news completely. The argument is that:
1) virtually none of it is actionable
2) it makes you unhappy

Go cold turkey?

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:07 pm

happyisland wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:45 pm

Thing is, I have recently had several smart people give me the advice to stop consuming news completely. The argument is that:
2) it makes you unhappy

Go cold turkey?
Restricting your news consumption is good. Eliminating it all together is probably not. As a citizen you must be an educated voter, and for that you need to understand the key issues.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:10 pm

happyisland wrote:

2) it makes you unhappy

Go cold turkey?
Pretty much yes; most "news" isn't, it is heavily commentary, and has come to focus on the sensational, even the local "news", as well as being biased toward one side or the other. I'm considerably happier and have more time in my day to do things that are actually actionable by me. But, I do glance at Twitter and a news app or two on my smartphone sometimes so I'm not totally in the dark.
“Meaningless! Meaningless!” says the Teacher. Whoever loves money never has enough; whoever loves wealth is never satisfied with their income. This too is meaningless.

aqan

Post by aqan » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:20 pm

Bloomberg, Google News, Digg, late night comedy shows, lunch buddies.

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:25 pm

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:42 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:07 pm
happyisland wrote:

2) it makes you unhappy

Go cold turkey?
Restricting your news consumption is good. Eliminating it all together is probably not. As a citizen you must be an educated voter, and for that you need to understand the key issues.

Victoria
This is kind of where I am. I tended to get most news from NPR RADIO but used to watch DVR replays of morning joe, Fareed Sakaria, Charlie rose, read some WSJ online ( whatever I can find free) NYT online and very occasionally the economist online which is a magazine I've suscribed to off and on over the years. I also participated in online political social media forums in which you are exposed to various sources of news and get news through discussion and advocacy of your preferred points of view.

After the election I just got so overloaded I mostly withdrew from the news cycle and online debating. As many have said it is in no way actionable, it makes you unhappy, brings out the worst in people and for the most part does not personally affect you. At some level I miss it but I think I'm better off for it. Stumbing into this forum has helped, it is far more useful and applicable for me.

I still occasionally get some NPR radio news and read NYt and WSJ ONLINE but since coming here i have realized even most of the business and investments is either junk, not actionable or just very basic.

6miths

Post by 6miths » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:46 pm

Love The Economist. Much to my chagrin, the local Costcos recently stopped carrying it in their magazine section. Used to read it while I took advantage of the hot dog deal. Toronto Globe and Mail. NYT. BBC. Local 24h radio station when driving.
'It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so!' Mark Twain

palaheel

Post by palaheel » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:52 pm

Another vote for Real Clear Politics. They point to things from MSNBC, Fox News, The New York Times, The Federalist, and things in between.
Markets crash. Markets recover. Inflation takes your money FOREVER.

srt7

Post by srt7 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:54 pm

Tycoon wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:30 am
From neighbors.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I can't think of anything more luxurious than owning my time. - remomnyc

srt7

Post by srt7 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:56 pm

I get mine from news.google.com (Google News Feed). It can be customized to a good extent (local news based on your zipcode, you can choose to hide certain type of news etc.)
I can't think of anything more luxurious than owning my time. - remomnyc

TheHouse7

Post by TheHouse7 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:58 pm

Wife's Facebook updates that she has to tell me or coworkers Facebook updates. Radio second.
"PSX will always go up 20%, why invest in anything else?!" -Father-in-law early retired.

iceport

Post by iceport » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:59 pm

nedsaid wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:31 pm
I used to like PBS more than I do now, again it leans one way now and I would not consider it a neutral source of information.
While trying to avoid getting more political, I'd just like to note that this is probably more the result of a dramatic shift in the "visible" spectrum over the past 30 years than it is a shift in approach at PBS. (If anything, the practically commercial underwriting seen now on PBS has influenced them in the other direction.) While all news is created by human beings, and thus subject to a certain degree of bias, it is difficult for me to imagine a video-based news source being any more successful in their striving for neutrality than PBS.

To the OP, one site I enjoy perusing at least once a week is Dean Baker's blog, "Beat the Press." Though Baker is unabashedly opinionated, he is an equal opportunity critic, and seeks to call out inaccuracies in economic reporting of all kinds here.
"Discipline matters more than allocation.” ─William Bernstein

truenorth418

Post by truenorth418 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:04 pm

Twitter. Drudge. Mark Simone radio (WOR NYC). Instapundit.

carolc

Post by carolc » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:11 pm

I read the news on various web sites. I can't bear to watch and listen to the news on the tv anymore!

carolc

azurekep

Post by azurekep » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:29 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
happyisland wrote:

2) it makes you unhappy

Go cold turkey?
Well said.

I think one of the worst developments is "news" appearing on social media like Facebook. That's the only source of news for some of my friends. That's concerning -- especially in light of how easily social media is manipulated by external actors -- and makes me appreciate the more conventional news outlets we have, warts and all.
Last edited by azurekep on Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:32 pm

azurekep wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:29 pm
I think one of the worst developments is "news" appearing on social media like Facebook.
Agree; television is generally bad too.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:34 pm

azurekep wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:
happyisland wrote:

2) it makes you unhappy

Go cold turkey?
Well said.

I think one of the worst developments is "news" appearing on social media like Facebook. That's the only source of news for some of my friends. That's concerning and makes me appreciate the more conventional news outlets we have, warts and all.
Do you consider me your friend? For me the social-media news organization is the Bogleheads.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:35 pm

www.news.google.com is a decent collection of news sources and tailors it to your interests.
www.naturalnews.com is kind of funky alternative news and conspiracy theories.
www.politicalforum.com is kind of fun to debate topics

azurekep

Post by azurekep » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:54 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:34 pm
azurekep wrote:
I think one of the worst developments is "news" appearing on social media like Facebook. That's the only source of news for some of my friends. That's concerning and makes me appreciate the more conventional news outlets we have, warts and all.
Do you consider me your friend? For me the social-media news organization is the Bogleheads.
One of the funniest things to come out of social media is the concept of friending and unfriending. :) It's pretty lame, but it's fun to laugh at.

I don't think of discussion forums like Bogleheads as social media. I don't even think of Reddit as social media (necessarily) because it hosts a lot of decent discussions. Whenever you have smart people gathering to discuss things critically and civilly, it's all good.

fishandgolf

Post by fishandgolf » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:16 pm

Wall Street Journal.......25+ years....

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:45 pm

Online.
Minimally pre-digested, less additives, no artificial flavoring.

tc101

Post by tc101 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:59 pm

Several people have mentioned reddit as a news source. How does that work?
. | The most important thing you should know about me is that I am not an expert.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:04 pm

I read The Wall Street Journal.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

tc101

Post by tc101 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:05 pm

2) it makes you unhappy
There is a lot of wisdom to that. I cut back from time to time. Occasionally take a few days off totally. It is a kind of addiction.

Tycoon

Post by Tycoon » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:16 pm

tc101 wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:05 pm
2) it makes you unhappy
There is a lot of wisdom to that. I cut back from time to time. Occasionally take a few days off totally. It is a kind of addiction.
Agreed, many years ago a professor in college explained this to me. It's one of the few things that sunk in.
...I might be just beginning | I might be near the end. Enya | | C'est la vie

femur

Post by femur » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:19 pm

tc101 wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:59 pm
Several ways.

1. Most simply, big current event items with a lot of focus get "voted" onto the front page and are visible directly on reddit.com. An example would be a presidential election.

2. More mundane news items are visible in "subreddits" such as http://reddit.com/r/news and http://www.reddit.com/r/worldnews.

3. Within a particular post, additional news items are linked and discussed further providing information regarding the newsworthy item. Take this post for example: https://np.reddit.com/r/news/comments/7 ... _run_over/
In the commends for that news item (a shooting in Los Angeles) there is discussion about how shootings occur and the laws surrounding police action.

Its quite an informative site!

Protip: Stay away from /r/politics. Thar be dragons!

azurekep

Post by azurekep » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:27 pm

tc101 wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:59 pm
I'm not sure how others use it [edit: the above poster described it], but if I want a quick collection of news stories from a particular political POV, there's a particular subreddit I visit. For each thread, the OP links to a story from a conventional news source and a discussion ensues. The rules are that the news sources have to be from an approved list of conventional sources, such as the major newspapers. No "alt-anything" or Facebook/Twitter. For some reason, all the threads are from the liberal/centrist POV. I'm not sure how that developed but there are similar subreddits for the other POVs.

This is not the ideal way to get news, but if I'm in a hurry and want to know the latest on a particular criminal/counter-intelligence investigation ;) , I know most of the relevant articles in the mainstream media will be collected in this subreddit.

Lillibelle

Post by Lillibelle » Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:26 pm

online: another vote for realclear.com Also Sciencedaily.com along with the NY Times online (As the # of freebies is limited, I save my clicks for the Tuesday Health section.)

TV: while getting ready for work in the morning: Mornings with Maria - Fox Business News Am also a fan of Charles Krauthammer ... miss listening to his sparkling wisdom in the evening.

Radio: BBC and Bloomberg, also sometimes come across amazing stories on NPR.

(and I'll fess up to dailymail.co.uk - kind of low brow for Bogleheads, to be sure - but love a teatime scroll.)

dwickenh

Post by dwickenh » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:06 pm

abuss368 wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:04 pm
I read The Wall Street Journal.
+1
The market is the most efficient mechanism anywhere in the world for transferring wealth from impatient people to patient people.” | — Warren Buffett

mrb09

Post by mrb09 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:20 pm

Online NYT - I have a paid subscription because I think they're doing good reporting and I like to support them
USA Today - because I like their IPhone App
Slate - they're biased but mostly truthful, plus Dear Prudence
QZ - I like getting the international perspective (especially the India news, as I used to travel there a lot)
NPR - various podcasts when I'm driving.

Not really news, but I read Lifehacker and often get good tips there. And of course Boggleheads.

bcjb

Post by bcjb » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:30 pm

All online. The Guardian for live coverage of developing stories worldwide; NYT and Washington Post for domestic investigative journalism in the US and several newspapers in other languages for the same sort of coverage abroad; Reuters; the Intercept; and Xinhua (English language) and Daily Mail out of curiosity.

slayed

Post by slayed » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:35 pm

The Daily Wire
Fox News