Home security advice

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Smokey21

Home security advice

Post by Smokey21 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:29 am

I'm hoping to tap the collective wisdom of the forum.

I have a townhouse, and I'm frequently away on business. I do not have a traditional alarm system monitoring service but would like to add some security features.

I'm not up to date on all the new home monitoring systems, but have seen a few commercials on TV like Shaq and the Ring doorbell.

Does anyone have any recommendations on home monitoring systems,, doorbell cameras, intelligent flood lights, Etc.

We use both Xfinity and Ooma. Both of those companies are pitching their home security systems. Any experience with these?

Or, do you recommend a traditional security system and monitoring service.

Thanks in advance.

Minty

Re: Home security advice

Post by Minty » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:17 pm

Sorry to answer a different question, but there is a theory that buying a security alarm company sign on Ebay and putting it in front of your residence gets you most of the deterrent benefit for virtually no cost. Also, our household keeps most valuables in a bank box.
Core Four with nominal bonds and TIPS.

Geneyus

Post by Geneyus » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:46 pm

I would skip the internet company alarm system and any others who want you to sign a contract to pay for "free equipment". Look into SimpliSafe and buy the cheapest monitoring plan ($14.99?). You can buy a few motion detectors to cover a large area, instead of buying sensors for all of your doors and windows.
Ring doorbell is a good product that allows you to actually talk to someone snooping around your house. I'm told you can buy it and stop paying for the cloud service, but you can still respond to things live on your phone if needed. You just can't go back and re-watch, if you don't pay.

StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:50 pm

I really like the doorbell camera idea. A thief will typically knock on the door or ring the doorbell prior to entering. ( they basically want to check if anyone is home )
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.

McCharley

Post by McCharley » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:08 pm

Let's start with the simple stuff:

Are your doors secured with 1" deadbolts and extra-strength hasps and screws?

Are your windows secured with more than the thumb latch they come with?

Are doors with glass secured with double locks, with a key needed to open from the inside?

Do you have motion sensor lights?

Do you have light timers to make it look like you're there when you're gone?

Does someone pick up your mail/newspaper while you are gone?

One neat thing I found is called "Fake TV". It's a nightlight that flashes like a television -- from outside it looks like the TV is on. It is LED and uses very little power. Put this on a timer and you will have a very effective deterrent.

rgs92

Post by rgs92 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:35 am

What do extra window locks consist of? Thanks.

p0nyboy

Post by p0nyboy » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:13 am

If someone wants in your house there isnt anything you can do to stop them. Thats the reality. Most people have windows on the ground floor. Has anyone ever accidentally broken glass? Its not very durable. Imagine if you want to purposely shatter the glass...very easy.

I have amcrest IP poe cameras scattered around my house. They record 24x7 to a synology NAS. Again...its not going to stop anyone from getting it. Its more of a deterrent. And if someone does rob the place I can hopefully get some video of them to help the police catch the thieves.

takeshi

Post by takeshi » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:22 am

Smokey21 wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:29 am
I'm hoping to tap the collective wisdom of the forum.
Don't overlook previous discussions on security systems. I'd recommend FrontPoint but a lot of people here like Simplisafe.

ThriftyPhD

Post by ThriftyPhD » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:38 am

p0nyboy wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:13 am
I have amcrest IP poe cameras scattered around my house. They record 24x7 to a synology NAS. Again...its not going to stop anyone from getting it. Its more of a deterrent. And if someone does rob the place I can hopefully get some video of them to help the police catch the thieves.
While this is something I am hoping to explore in our house, what would you do if they take the NAS? Is the video backed up live online, or do you have the NAS hidden?

flyingaway

Post by flyingaway » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:41 am

I think most systems are used to deter the burglars. It is difficult to catch them.

queso

Post by queso » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:57 am

p0nyboy wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:13 am
If someone wants in your house there isnt anything you can do to stop them. Thats the reality. Most people have windows on the ground floor. Has anyone ever accidentally broken glass? Its not very durable. Imagine if you want to purposely shatter the glass...very easy.

+1. Locks only keep honest people honest. Monitored alarm system with contact sensors, glass break and motion sensors, security cameras (indoor and outdoor) and motion activated outdoor security lights are a good starting point. Good security consists of multiple layers and there are some good threads on BH already that cover most of it. Read up on the Ring doorbell before you buy it. I thought about getting one, but there were too many reviews that mentioned problems with the video lagging so much that you couldn't even tell who was at the door. I went with dual exterior video cameras pointing down and forward of my front door forming an interlocking field of video coverage that will catch anybody approaching the front of the home.

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:02 am

StevieG72 wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:50 pm
I really like the doorbell camera idea. A thief will typically knock on the door or ring the doorbell prior to entering. ( they basically want to check if anyone is home )
No, they typically won't. What they typically do is case your house for a few days before the burglary. They'll know how many people live in the house and enter once they watch you all leave one morning (along with your neighbors).

fittan

Post by fittan » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:37 pm

I really like Nest camera. I installed one on my front door and gets alerted (via email and iphone notifications) whenever there is motion and/or sound. On top of that, if you want video history, it's $10/month.

In addition, I would recommend a motion sensor below...One is solar powered and the other just a regular flood light.

https://smile.amazon.com/Litom-Illumina ... nsor+light

https://smile.amazon.com/Hyperikon-Secu ... nsor+light

sco

Post by sco » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:24 pm

Buy an Cop car, park it outside, along with one of those flags with the blue line on them....

Works best if your neighbors do the same ;)

OnTrack

Post by OnTrack » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:02 am

A neighbor has Vimeo products that they are happy with. It includes a door bell that can be answered from their cell phone (similar to ring).

stickman731

Post by stickman731 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:51 am

I personally have two Piper and a couple of door sensors. Piper send alerts (text, calls) to my smart phone. I have the local police phone number programmed into my phone - so if I get an alert I call the police. I got the Piper NV on sale for $149. Shop around and look for discounts.

Here is a good review article on systems.

https://www.asecurelife.com/scout-vs-pi ... implisafe/