Toilet Woes

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
AAA

Toilet Woes

Post by AAA » Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:36 pm

One of our toilets was taking a long time to refill, about 1.5 - 2 minutes. I bought a new fill valve (without a water limiter) and installed it per the instructions, first checking that the supply to the toilet was strong. It didn’t make any difference. The manufacturer suggested removing the top cap of the fill valve and reseating the o-ring, which made no difference. They said that the time of refill is within specs, but our other toilet takes about 20 seconds.

One thing I noticed, if relevant - I closed the supply value and flushed the toilet as I wanted to adjust the length of the chain between the handle and the flapper. When I reopened the supply nothing was coming out until out of desperation I flicked the float a couple of times.

Also, there is another issue that some flushes just give up before the bowl is emptied. Usually the next one is very strong. I’ve tried holding the flapper up during the flush and that makes no difference. Also, the water level in the bowl is the same for good or bad flushes. I can usually predict a good flush from the start as the water rotates strongly on the way down.

The manufacturer sent me a replacement fill valve to try, but before that I was just wondering if anyone could suggest something (other than get a new toilet bowl :happy ).

livesoft

Re: Toilet Woes

Post by livesoft » Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:40 pm

Your description sounds like it has absolutely nothing to do with the toilet bowl.

Here's a tip: Pretend you are a water molecule. What are you doing when someone flushes the toilet? You can pretend you start in the feed pipe and anywhere along the path to the sewer.
This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:43 pm

For slow fill, you could have:
low water pressure
obstruction in the fill valve
leaking flapper or toilet tank
haunted toilet

Teague

Post by Teague » Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:55 pm

Has anyone in the neighborhood reported a missing pet snake?

Probably not the problem, but just thought I'd throw that one out there.
Semper Augustus

mhalley

Post by mhalley » Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:10 pm

I had a poorly flushing toilet that ended up being due to a partially clogged siphon jet hole. It could also be the rim jet holes that are clogged. This video shows how to test and clean the rim jets. I cleared the large siphon jet hole manually with a pumice stone. You can pour CLR or vinegar down the tube in the tank or manually clear the jet holes with a coat hanger.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4TeCTbGwhBc

Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets » Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:01 pm

Don't overthink this. I had similiar problem and won't way too much time trying this and that with the float and the water supply.
Then I went to Walmart and got a new valve. $6.83 including tax. Took it home, put it in. Problem solved.
So don't wonder this and that and try all sorts of remedies that people tell you. Go and get a new valve.
Simple really.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:03 pm

Shallowpockets wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:01 pm
Don't overthink this. I had similiar problem and won't way too much time trying this and that with the float and the water supply.
Then I went to Walmart and got a new valve. $6.83 including tax. Took it home, put it in. Problem solved.
So don't wonder this and that and try all sorts of remedies that people tell you. Go and get a new valve.
Simple really.
Do you mean a new fill valve, like the new fill valve that the OP says he installed? I personally would spend a bit more that $6.83 for a higher quality fill valve, but probably not after I had already installed a new fill valve. :D

Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets » Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:36 pm

Fluidmaster fill valve. You can get the deluxe one if you want. I don't know about any high end fill valves.
i guess I am glad mine went in and worked OK. You do need correct room for the float to rise. The float is part and parcel of the fill valve. It is not a separate float like the older models that is like a small football.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:15 pm

Shallowpockets wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:36 pm
Fluidmaster fill valve. You can get the deluxe one if you want. I don't know about any high end fill valves.
i guess I am glad mine went in and worked OK. You do need correct room for the float to rise. The float is part and parcel of the fill valve. It is not a separate float like the older models that is like a small football.
Fine, but do you really think that the OP's newly installed fill valve, that didn't correct the issue, is the problem?

Wakefield1

Post by Wakefield1 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:56 pm

If the fill valve is the problem the water level in the tank before a "bad" flush will be lower than before a "good" flush
I used to deal with certain commodes by emptying the bowl by pouring a bucket of water down it and then putting some very strong acid type cleaner in it and letting it sit for a couple hours or preferably overnight-I would also pour some of the acid cleaner directly down the tank overflow tube so that it hits concentrated into the water supply hole/flush jet in the bowl-but be careful not to get any of the acid on any of the mechanisms in the tank
After the acid has been flushed away but before anyone can use the commode the jet hole can be cleaned with a bottle brush-solves some sluggish to flush problems
do not pour very hot water into the commode or the porcelain might crack!

Wakefield1

Post by Wakefield1 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:59 pm

Defective new fill valve? Or flapper not being pulled up high enough by the chain?

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:02 pm

neilpilot wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:15 pm
Fine, but do you really think that the OP's newly installed fill valve, that didn't correct the issue, is the problem?
Yes, if it was installed incorrectly (i.e. the same way) twice.
This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

itstoomuch

Post by itstoomuch » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:04 pm

Did OP full turn on wall valve?
Does OP have galvanized pipe that are corroded and may have a piece flaked off and redistricted water flow.?
A quick way to check installation and water flow issues is to swap toilet tank valves... Put new value in other working tank first and test. Then put other valve into tank that is not functioning properly.

Remember, most errors are human errors. :oops:
YMMV
Last edited by itstoomuch on Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rev90517; 4 Incm stream buckets: SS+pension; dfr'd GLWB VA & FI anntys, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rentals. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax 25%. Early SS. FundRatio (FR) >1.1 67/70yo

itstoomuch

Post by itstoomuch » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:07 pm

NEVER do pumbing on Saturday afternoon.
ABSOLUTELY NEVER do pumbing on Sunday.
Hold it to Monday. :mrgreen:
Ymmv
Rev90517; 4 Incm stream buckets: SS+pension; dfr'd GLWB VA & FI anntys, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rentals. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax 25%. Early SS. FundRatio (FR) >1.1 67/70yo

Saving$

Post by Saving$ » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:16 pm

Problem could be:
1. Shut off valve does not allow enough water through
- more difficult to check, so check after 2.
2. Clog in hose
- visually check hose for kink, if found, unkink, if none proceed
- turn off shutoff valve, put bucket under tank hose connection, disconnect hose from tank. Aim hose to bucket, turn on valve
- if there is not full flow, your problem is either the hose or the shutoff valve. I would just replace both. If there is full flow, reattach and move on.
3. Fill valve does not allow enough water through
- Test at top
4. Flapper
- test
5. Something got into the throat and is clogging water getting to the rim holes
- test
6. Holes in rim have calcified
- test

Sometimes it is just time for a new toilet. If the existing it a 1.6 gmp or more, I'd replace with a $149 0.8gpm Niagara from Home Depot. Around here these pay for themselves within a few months due to savings on water bill.

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:09 pm

Here's my limited DIY plumbing expertise....

For the bad flushes, the physics of how a toilet works would indicate that is due to either a poorly filled tank or due to an obstruction in the sewage line, the trap part of the toilet, or the water jets around the bowl. A flush is all about breaking the air gap in the trap to create suction to empty out the bowl. The air gap in the trap is broken by filling up the bowl with water. You need enough water to fill the bowl (filled tank), a good path for the water to fill the bowl (water jets), and a clear path for water to escape the bowl (trap and sewer line) for a flush to work properly. This video from Korky illustrates how it works: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAxAyoSMQhI

The slow fill, as others have said, is likely due to water pressure or clog issues in the supply line or due to the flapper getting caught up in the chain. Take the lid off the tank. Then flush and observe a few times to see what the flapper does. If the flapper doesn't settle down immediately, you probably need to adjust the chain. You can also get "toilet leak detectors" (really just ceramic-safe dyes that won't permanently dye the toilet bowl) to put into the tank to see if the flapper is leaking between flushes. For such a tiny thing, a bad flapper or chain length can cause quite a bit of chaos in a toilet.

StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:54 am

Sounds like you have multiple issues.

The newer water saving toilets work amazingly well! I would replace the toilet. It is an easy DIY project.

I had chronic issues with a toilet, finally replaced it and wish I had done so sooner. The chair height toilets are great, sometimes its the little things. Spent around $200.00 to replace mine.

Some cities will even offer a rebate for changing out an old toilet to a newer water saving model.
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.

dbr

Post by dbr » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:18 am

StevieG72 wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:54 am

The newer water saving toilets work amazingly well! I would replace the toilet. It is an easy DIY project.
HIghly recommended for a Sunday afternoon :twisted:

RudyS

Post by RudyS » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:35 pm

Saving$ wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:16 pm
Problem could be:
1. Shut off valve does not allow enough water through
- more difficult to check, so check after 2.
2. Clog in hose
- visually check hose for kink, if found, unkink, if none proceed
- turn off shutoff valve, put bucket under tank hose connection, disconnect hose from tank. Aim hose to bucket, turn on valve
- if there is not full flow, your problem is either the hose or the shutoff valve. I would just replace both. If there is full flow, reattach and move on.

3. Fill valve does not allow enough water through
- Test at top
4. Flapper
- test
5. Something got into the throat and is clogging water getting to the rim holes
- test
6. Holes in rim have calcified
- test

Sometimes it is just time for a new toilet. If the existing it a 1.6 gmp or more, I'd replace with a $149 0.8gpm Niagara from Home Depot. Around here these pay for themselves within a few months due to savings on water bill.
Sure sounds like a supply problem rather than a toilet poblem. Follow 1 & 2 above. If it suggests replacement of supply valve, then main valve needs to be shut off, and this is really best done at a time when you can call a plumber in case something breaks.

emoore

Post by emoore » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:39 pm

I had a similar issue when I replaced the fill valve inside a toilet. Didn't fill up nearly as quickly as the original and it was much louder. No matter what setting I used it just wasn't acceptable. Wound up replacing the entire toilet and it's so much better!

takeshi

Post by takeshi » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:30 am

AAA wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:36 pm
The manufacturer sent me a replacement fill valve to try, but before that I was just wondering if anyone could suggest something (other than get a new toilet bowl :happy ).
If it comes to that, get a Toto.

AAA

Post by AAA » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:32 am

livesoft wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:40 pm
Here's a tip: Pretend you are a water molecule. What are you doing when someone flushes the toilet? You can pretend you start in the feed pipe and anywhere along the path to the sewer.
Okay, I'm pretending I'm a water molecule. Not sure how that helps.

AAA

Post by AAA » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:33 am

whodidntante wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:43 pm
low water pressure
haunted toilet
water pressure: as I mentioned, that seems okay
obstruction in fill valve: there is none
leaking flapper or toilet tank: nope
haunted toilet: I'm beginning to think so

AAA

Post by AAA » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:34 am

Shallowpockets wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:01 pm
Go and get a new valve.
Simple really.
That's what I did and it didn't help. Not so simple.

AAA

Post by AAA » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:35 am

Wakefield1 wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:56 pm
If the fill valve is the problem the water level in the tank before a "bad" flush will be lower than before a "good" flush
As I mentioned, this does not seem to be the case.

AAA

Post by AAA » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:37 am

Wakefield1 wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:59 pm
Defective new fill valve? Or flapper not being pulled up high enough by the chain?
As I mentioned, I even tried holding the handle down and got a sluggish flush, to make sure this wasn't the case.

AAA

Post by AAA » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:44 am

livesoft wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:02 pm
neilpilot wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:15 pm
Yes, if it was installed incorrectly (i.e. the same way) twice.
I'm pretty sure that the installation was according to specs: top of fill valve is 3" above overflow pipe, water level is about 1/2" below top of pipe (toilet markings say it should be 5/8", fill valve directions say 1/2").

AAA

Post by AAA » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:54 am

Mudpuppy wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:09 pm
For the bad flushes, the physics of how a toilet works would indicate that is due to either a poorly filled tank or due to an obstruction in the sewage line, the trap part of the toilet, or the water jets around the bowl.
The tank appears to fill the same for good or bad flushes. If there were any of these issues, wouldn't all flushes be affected? I just did a test by throwing a bunch of toilet paper in the bowl and there was a strong flush.
Mudpuppy wrote:
The slow fill, as others have said, is likely due to water pressure or clog issues in the supply line or due to the flapper getting caught up in the chain.
Water pressure and supply line appeared to be okay. If flapper gets caught up in chain, it would not stop trying to refill. Anyhow, flapper seems to be working as expected.

AAA

Post by AAA » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:55 am

I wouldn't mind just getting a new toilet, as some have suggested, except that there is probably no way to match the old color scheme in the bathroom.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:00 am

This sounds more like the shut-off valve before the toilet.

Have you checked to see if the shut off valve below the toilet tank is fully open? The valve could be going out and need to be replaced.
"We are here not to please but to provoke thoughtfulness" Unknown Boglehead

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:27 am

AAA wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:54 am
Mudpuppy wrote:
For the bad flushes, the physics of how a toilet works would indicate that is due to either a poorly filled tank or due to an obstruction in the sewage line, the trap part of the toilet, or the water jets around the bowl.
The tank appears to fill the same for good or bad flushes. If there were any of these issues, wouldn't all flushes be affected? I just did a test by throwing a bunch of toilet paper in the bowl and there was a strong flush.
No, not all flushes would be affected. If it's the sewer line for example, the quality of the flush might vary based on what else is draining out to the sewer. Flush after a load of laundry or a shower? Bad flush because the sewer line is mostly full. Flush first thing in the morning when nothing's gone down the drain all night? Good flush because the sewer line is empty.

The only way to tell if this is the sewer line (either the main hookup from the house to the municipal drain or the specific hookups from this bathroom to the house main) is to have a plumber run a camera down the line. In the case of my old Orangeburg sewer pipe, the camera quickly showed where it was buckling in and it was serious enough to warrant a full replacement of the Orangeburg pipe with ABS pipe. Orangeburg pipe is made out of layers of paper pulp and tar, so it's not as durable as the plastic ABS pipes. For whatever reason, the builder in my area used ABS for the house itself, but used Orangeburg to connect from the cleanout to the city municipal system. Many neighbors have been digging up and replacing their Orangeburg pipes in the past decade.

There were no more slow flushes or slow draining showers after this was done. Both those issues were due to things like toilet paper getting caught up in the section of the Orangeburg pipe that was buckling in. This created a temporary obstruction that significantly slowed water flow through the sewer pipe until the toilet paper dissolved enough to move on through. Root infiltration into the sewer pipe can cause a similar issue, and can actually be worse because roots can entangle smaller material.

Edit: But root infiltration can be DIY treated using an overnight root killer that is put down the drain. The longer you can go without using the sewer pipe after putting down root killer, the more effective the treatment will be. So if you're going out of town for the weekend, that's a great time to put down the treatment.
AAA wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:54 am
Mudpuppy wrote:
The slow fill, as others have said, is likely due to water pressure or clog issues in the supply line or due to the flapper getting caught up in the chain.
Water pressure and supply line appeared to be okay. If flapper gets caught up in chain, it would not stop trying to refill. Anyhow, flapper seems to be working as expected.
If the flapper gets caught up in the chain, it takes the flapper longer to settle down and form a seal. That means the water is just flowing out of the tank and into the bowl while the flapper is settling. This results in a longer fill time, because the tank can't fill properly until the flapper is seated and has formed a seal.

AAA

Post by AAA » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:48 am

mhalley wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:10 pm
I had a poorly flushing toilet that ended up being due to a partially clogged siphon jet hole.
Didn't know about the siphon jet hole. Will check that out, although wouldn't that affect every flush (given that the water levels are consistent)?
Last edited by AAA on Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

AAA

Post by AAA » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:49 am

bloom2708 wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:00 am
This sounds more like the shut-off valve before the toilet.

Have you checked to see if the shut off valve below the toilet tank is fully open? The valve could be going out and need to be replaced.
Fully opened.

AAA

Post by AAA » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:51 am

Mudpuppy wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:27 am
No, not all flushes would be affected. If it's the sewer line for example...
But the other toilet in the house has no problems - good flushes and fast refills.

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:32 am

AAA wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:51 am
Mudpuppy wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:27 am
No, not all flushes would be affected. If it's the sewer line for example...
But the other toilet in the house has no problems - good flushes and fast refills.
Note I said it could be either the sewer main or something specific to that bathroom. If the obstruction is just in that bathroom, and just something that grabs onto stuff temporarily, it would come and go with use of that bathroom.

Edit: I'll also add that my master bathroom suffered more issues than the guest bathroom when I was having issues with the Orangeburg pipe. That's because the master bathroom is at the end of the house sewer line. There was no where else for the water to go when the sewer line backed up all the way to it, except bubbling out of my master shower. Not fun times at all.

AF_Engineer

Post by AF_Engineer » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:37 pm

I've replaced several toilets - it sure sounds like your problem could be in the water shutoff valve at the wall. Assuming there is ample pipe sticking out of the wall, it's a pretty simple DIY job to remove the old and install a new one, to include the hose from the valve to the bottom of the tack. Like an earlier poster mentioned, you'll need to shut off the water main, and do so at a time when you can call a plumber if something goes awry.

Replacing that valve & hose will cost $15 or less. Use plumbers tape or paste on the hose threads to ensure a good seal. If that doesn't turn out to be the problem, well then at least it will look a lot better & cleaner.

There's a number of quick/easy YouTube videos to assist.

SittingOnTheFence

Post by SittingOnTheFence » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:06 pm

AF_Engineer wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:37 pm
- it sure sounds like your problem could be in the water shutoff valve at the wall.
I have similar problems as the OP and there are plenty of good suggestions here. The best one I saw was the video of the guy who poured muratic acid down the fill tube.

The water shutoff may effect the time the tank needs to fill.

mhalley

Post by mhalley » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:11 am

The flush might be variable depending on what you are trying to flush, say a six inch sinker vs a foot long floater. :beer the flush is the same, but some things need a stronger one to go away. If the bowl drains fine with a bucket of water poured in as opposed to a regular flush, that would most likely rule out sewr line problem.

southport

Post by southport » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:07 pm

I had toilet troubles, fiddled with it myself, changing out all the parts, etc., and was still unhappy with the way it was working. I called the plumber. His first question: How long have these toilets been here? Answer: 30 years. Plumber: You'll be much happier with new toilets. Minerals in the water play havoc with toilets.

I (not the plumber) replaced all three with new Kohler toilets that are higher and have slow-close lids and seats. I wish I'd done it years ago.

AAA

Post by AAA » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:17 pm

I'm sure all of you participating in this thread have been waiting with baited breath to find out what happened. I mentioned above that once the tank wasn't refilling even with the supply line open. Another time, I shut the supply line valve and the water nevertheless came in to fill the tank. So there was something wrong with the supply line valve.

I happened to have to plumber over for some other work so he replaced that valve. The refill is going very fast now. At the same time, the flushes have also improved, with only an occasional failure of the bowl to empty completely. Previously, there were problems just about every other time. The improved flush is a mystery to me. How would a properly working supply valve have an effect on the quality of the flush?

earlyout

Post by earlyout » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:34 pm

The water valve in the tank opens immediately when you flush. The higher flow from the supply during the flushing cylcle causes more water to be used for each flush resulting in the improved performance.

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:04 pm

AAA wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:17 pm
I happened to have to plumber over for some other work so he replaced that valve. The refill is going very fast now. At the same time, the flushes have also improved, with only an occasional failure of the bowl to empty completely. Previously, there were problems just about every other time. The improved flush is a mystery to me. How would a properly working supply valve have an effect on the quality of the flush?
Lift up the tank lid and you should see a small hose running from the fill valve to the overflow pipe. As soon as you flush, the fill valve opens and that hose directs water into the overflow pipe, where it goes into the bowl to help with the flush. That little hose is also what fills the bowl up with water after the flush completes.

Edit: I should mention the water flow from the hose doesn't help MUCH with the flush, but if the fill valve was behaving erratically, you could have also had inconsistent water levels in the tank and bowl. Now that you have a consistent fill valve, you have consistent water flows, consistent water levels, and better flushes.

TheHouse7

Post by TheHouse7 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:44 pm

whodidntante wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:43 pm
low water pressure
haunted toilet
Seriously just clicked on the topic for some laughs.

:D
"PSX will always go up 20%, why invest in anything else?!" -Father-in-law early retired.

AAA

Post by AAA » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:44 am

Mudpuppy wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:04 pm
As soon as you flush, the fill valve opens and that hose directs water into the overflow pipe, where it goes into the bowl to help with the flush.
Then that explains it.
Mudpuppy wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:04 pm
Edit: I should mention the water flow from the hose doesn't help MUCH with the flush, but if the fill valve was behaving erratically, you could have also had inconsistent water levels in the tank and bowl.
The water levels were consistent before. The water flow from the hose may not help much, but with the new supply valve working it's apparently making enough of a difference to be noticeable.

Thanks.
Last edited by AAA on Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

RudyS

Post by RudyS » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:48 am

Thanks for the update.

AAA

Post by AAA » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:05 am

earlyout wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:34 pm
The water valve in the tank opens immediately when you flush. The higher flow from the supply during the flushing cylcle causes more water to be used for each flush resulting in the improved performance.
If I understand this correctly, you're saying that before the flapper falls down to shut off the water going into the bowl, there is more volume of water going to the bowl now (amount in bowl plus extra amount due to the better flow from the supply line). Thanks.

rterickson

Post by rterickson » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:55 pm

When you push the flush lever and the flapper valve lifts, the water stored in the tank is directed to a hole in the bottom front of the bowl. This stream is directed straight back to push the waste out the back of the bowl toward the drain.

At the same time, fresh water from the supply is forced through the overfill tube toward a series of small holes all around the underside of the rim of the bowl. This flow starts the whirlpool action that finishes the flush, and also rinses the sides of the bowl. The fresh water also starts refilling the tank for next time.