What phone carrier?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
casualflower

What phone carrier?

Post by casualflower »

I currently have an iPhone SE through a business Verizon plan. I am separating from the company and am looking for an individual cell phone plan. I want to move to a less expensive pre-paid plan.

Verizon offers one for $40 a month (3 GB which is fine) but I'd like to know what my alternatives are. I rate my Verizon coverage as 6 out of 10 and would like better. Mostly, I have poor coverage inside my home and my small office (which I'm keeping). Dropped calls, etc.

My wife has a Boost mobile plan which she's happy with, but I do not think my Verizon-compatible phone will work on their network.

I'm not clear on how phones are or are not compatible with different networks. Which services can I use my phone with? And if I have a "verizon" phone, does that mean any pre-paid provider is just using Verizon's network and so my coverage won't be any different? Do I need to change anything about my phone (ie 'a SIM card') to use a different provider?
runner3081

Re: What phone carrier?

Post by runner3081 »

Check out PagePlus, rides the Verizon network.
Momus

Post by Momus »

metrunt wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:12 am I currently have an iPhone SE through a business Verizon plan. I am separating from the company and am looking for an individual cell phone plan. I want to move to a less expensive pre-paid plan.

Verizon offers one for $40 a month (3 GB which is fine) but I'd like to know what my alternatives are. I rate my Verizon coverage as 6 out of 10 and would like better. Mostly, I have poor coverage inside my home and my small office (which I'm keeping). Dropped calls, etc.

My wife has a Boost mobile plan which she's happy with, but I do not think my Verizon-compatible phone will work on their network.

I'm not clear on how phones are or are not compatible with different networks. Which services can I use my phone with? And if I have a "verizon" phone, does that mean any pre-paid provider is just using Verizon's network and so my coverage won't be any different? Do I need to change anything about my phone (ie 'a SIM card') to use a different provider?
All Verizon phone is shipped GSM unlocked and will accept any sim card (AT&T and Tmobile network uses GSM).

Check redpocket plan. Cheap uses all 3 major carriers. AT&T has the widest coverage in the nation. But, check out with other coworkers/friends with AT&T to see if they have any dead zone. Pick the one that's best in your area.
https://goredpocket.com/plans-new/

Or

Mintsim if tmobile is good in your area. Can't beat their price...

Or

Cricket if for group save 5 lines/$100 using AT&T network. 2 lines for $70 4GB data each, unlimited text and call.
Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 »

Check a coverage map. Verizon work the best in the boonies. I believe AT&T and T Mobile might be faster in some big cities. Sprint is known as being unreliable and bad customer service in my anecdotal experience. Lots of MVNO's that use these big 4 towers for much less.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

I use cricket. Has worked flawlessly for 3months. It uses ATT network.

I pay 35$ All in, no extra fees or taxes. Cricket doesn't offer the ability to make the phone a hotspot, or add other wireless priducts like an ipad.
student

Post by student »

If you or your wife is 55+, you can get unlimited t-mobile for $60 for 2 lines. The other suggestions by posters above are also good.
mouses

Post by mouses »

I have Consumer Cellular, with two numbers. My monthly bills, including all fees, average slightly under $40 a month with the AARP discount. I have Tmobile, but they also offer AT&T.
jfave33

Post by jfave33 »

Your verizon iphone SE will work on sprint/boost but it doesn't have LTE band 41 so won't get the very best speeds. It probably doesn't matter too much.

If boost works why not switch to the free year of sprint unlimited. Costs about $3.5 a month in taxes and fees. Requires a hard pull since it is postpaid.
https://www.sprint.com/content/sprint/s ... mited.html

Or go to virgin mobile for $1 a year for an unlimited plan when you bring your own iphone. Virgin is pretty much the same as boost. Both being owned by sprint. Prepaid so no hard pull.
https://www.virginmobileusa.com/plans/b ... evice.html

Nothing to lose to try it out as both let you port out right away with no penalty. Either will save you about $400-450 a year.
takeshi

Post by takeshi »

metrunt wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:12 amI'm not clear on how phones are or are not compatible with different networks. Which services can I use my phone with? And if I have a "verizon" phone, does that mean any pre-paid provider is just using Verizon's network and so my coverage won't be any different? Do I need to change anything about my phone (ie 'a SIM card') to use a different provider?
You'd have to carefully compare the bands that your device supports with the bands used by the carrier you're considering. It would be much easier for you if you focused on Verizon MVNO's. There are reference guides out there as well as prior threads on MVNO's that could be of use to you.

You will definitely need a new SIM from the new carrier.
metrunt wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:12 amVerizon offers one for $40 a month (3 GB which is fine) but I'd like to know what my alternatives are. I rate my Verizon coverage as 6 out of 10 and would like better. Mostly, I have poor coverage inside my home and my small office (which I'm keeping). Dropped calls, etc.
You need to ask around with people local to you -- especially those that use their phones in the same areas where you need coverage the most. Be aware that building construction can possibly affect coverage with any carrier. Make the most of your new carrier's trial period to fully test out coverage where you need it and cancel if it doesn't meet your needs. Of course, if you go with a Verizon MVNO, coverage isn't going to change.
targ

Post by targ »

Dottie57 wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:03 pm I use cricket. Has worked flawlessly for 3months. It uses ATT network.

I pay 35$ All in, no extra fees or taxes. Cricket doesn't offer the ability to make the phone a hotspot, or add other wireless priducts like an ipad.
Not true, they DO offer a hotspot add on - just not on every plan. I think it's only offered on the $50 plan.
The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The willingness to learn is a choice. | -REBEC OF GINAZ
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

TotalWireless.com is another Verizon option. One nice thing about them is SIM cards and phones, refresh cards are at Walmart which are most everywhere.

If you are a lower data user, buy the $25 unlimited plan (calls and texts) and add on 3 GB of Data for $10. The data does not expire, so it may last 6-12 months.

My parents do this. 3 GB of data lasts about 10 months for them. When close to gone, they add another $10.

If you need more data, the 5GB plan for one phone is ~$33/month with auto-pay on. This is not the rock bottom price, but moving to Sprint or T-Mobile usually gets you worse coverage.

Boost is Sprint, Ting is Sprint/T-mobile, Republic Wireless is Sprint, Mintsim is T-mobile. Experience will let you know if Sprint/T-mobile is "worth" the savings. I stick with AT&T over Verizon coverage.
Last edited by bloom2708 on Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

Xfinity Mobile is another MVNO, although you do need to have Xfinity internet. I bought 2 new phones at $1 each outright during a recent promotion, and each line costs $2.70/mo, tax and fees included, with minimal data (100MB). We use no more than 0.5GB of data a month, and they charge $12/mo for 1GB, so this works well for us. My first month cost me $5.45 TOTAL for the 2 lines.
dbltrbl

Post by dbltrbl »

If you use mostly around town, Republic Wireless, 20-25 per month. you can even use your current phone as you are transferring.
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

We use Ting. They're great.
"Stay on target! Stay on target!"
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

targ wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:44 am
Dottie57 wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:03 pm I use cricket. Has worked flawlessly for 3months. It uses ATT network.

Not true, they DO offer a hotspot add on - just not on every plan. I think it's only offered on the $50 plan.

Mea culpa. I went with cricket for their cheapness. I was tired of ATT bills. Love the 35$ charge each month.
BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle »

jjface wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:08 pm Your verizon iphone SE will work on sprint/boost but it doesn't have LTE band 41 so won't get the very best speeds. It probably doesn't matter too much.

If boost works why not switch to the free year of sprint unlimited. Costs about $3.5 a month in taxes and fees. Requires a hard pull since it is postpaid.
https://www.sprint.com/content/sprint/s ... mited.html

Or go to virgin mobile for $1 a year for an unlimited plan when you bring your own iphone. Virgin is pretty much the same as boost. Both being owned by sprint. Prepaid so no hard pull.
https://www.virginmobileusa.com/plans/b ... evice.html

Nothing to lose to try it out as both let you port out right away with no penalty. Either will save you about $400-450 a year.
My VZW contract runs out in October. I was going to do the Verizon 5GB plan for $47/mo (I'm on that plan now, but paying $67/mo while on-contract) or switch to Cricket w/ a family member around $35/mo. But since I will still have a separate Verizon phone with me most of the time (for work), I think I am going to try one of these options if they are still around then. Worst case scenario even one month later I'm ahead in terms of cost, so really just the frustration to deal with. I've never used Virgin and I haven't been with Sprint in almost 20 years, but that is tempting (especially given another Verizon phone backup). Thanks!
Cheyenne

Post by Cheyenne »

boom.us

Low cost Verizon MVNO. Verizon is called the RED plan. US based customer service.