What is your favorite reasonably priced bourbon?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
MJS

Re: What is your favorite reasonably priced bourbon?

Post by MJS » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:55 pm

Your Four Roses Small Barrel has a mash bill of approximately 65% corn, 30% rye & 5% malted barley, so the high-rye recommendations might not be your cup of tea.

Similar mash bills are Old GrandDad and Basil Hayden: Sort the ModernThirst list by Corn to see others.

My personal recommendation is Rye, Bulleit Rye.

SOURCES
https://www.ezdrinking.com/ezdrinking/2 ... ch-bourbon
https://modernthirst.com/home/bourbon-w ... ash-bills/

DecumulatorDoc

Post by DecumulatorDoc » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:11 am

ny_knicks wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:30 pm
Woodford
Bulleit
Makers Mark

in that order...

oh and Pappy Van Winkle
Pappy....reasonably priced? Love to be able to find it at any price. :moneybag
With my boglehead mentality, I'm drinking Evan Williams at less than $20 for 1.75L. Everything else is a splurge on special occasions. :beer

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:21 am

Wild Turkey 101 Proof
Evan Williams Bottled in Bond
Old Grand Dad Bottled in Bond

VinhoVerde

Post by VinhoVerde » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:32 am

Elija Craig Small Batch 94 Proof is a great value that sells for around $30 per bottle. It's a smoother style (not bland) made from a blend of 8 year and 12 year old barrels. Not quite as good as their old 12 year old, but still a great deal.
VinhoVerde

KSOC

Post by KSOC » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:17 am

destinationnc wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:31 pm
moghopper wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:17 pm
Evan Williams.
Surprised I had to scroll so far to see this. It's pretty close to what Jack Daniels is at about half the price - even the label seems to be a close rip-off. I found out about it from a WSJ article maybe 8 years ago. It's no Knob Creek, Woodford Reserve, or Makers Mark's - but the OP asked for reasonably pried bourbon and this is probably your best value.
Switched to Evan Williams from Jim Beam. Very nice bourbon at great price. I will drink it with regular seltzer, lime seltzer, but usually Coke Zero.
Too soon old, too late smart.

dekecarver

Post by dekecarver » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:37 am

Wildebeest wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:45 pm
I like gifts and I especially like moonshine . For whatever reason I think it is purer and more worthwhile.

I do not mind paying taxes, so that is not the attraction for moonshine.

It is the pure and unadulterated alcohol I care for.
There is something special about quality moonshine, the very best is labeled Courthouse Likker and is bottled in an unpretentious angelic jar. Excellent sipping quality if you can get your hands on a jar :D Unfortunately this is a small batch run that is only available during Thanksgiving and Christmas and is generally reserved for those who are in a position of forgiveness or ability to make things go away, lol.

sf2sv

Post by sf2sv » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:34 am

Elijah Craig Barrel Proof—best stuff out there imho

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:48 am

I had a chance to buy a couple of the bottles recommended here.

I thought the Evan Williams Single Barrel was good, but not great.

The McKenna was really great. I'm into my third bottle.

Thanks for the recommendations!

JT

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:20 am

Surprised by all the love for Makers 46. That and Johnnie Walker Double Black both taste to me like they took their standard bourbon (or scotch), and stuck it in a blender with a lump of charcoal.

A few of my favorites:

Blanton's
Breckenridge
Bullleit (Prefer their Rye though)
High West American Prarie
Kirkland knock-off of Knob Creek is better than the real thing, IMO

Not a straight bourbon, but I'm also a big fan of High West Campfire, which is a Bourbon/Scotch/Rye. Just finished a bottle last week, has to be one of my favorite sippers.

Koogie

Post by Koogie » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:37 am

VinhoVerde wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:32 am
Elija Craig Small Batch 94 Proof is a great value that sells for around $30 per bottle. It's a smoother style (not bland) made from a blend of 8 year and 12 year old barrels. Not quite as good as their old 12 year old, but still a great deal.
VinhoVerde
Apropos of nothing, Vinho Verde has become just about our favorite wine varietal in my house... :thumbsup

unstartable

Post by unstartable » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:40 pm

lazydavid wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:20 am
Surprised by all the love for Makers 46. That and Johnnie Walker Double Black both taste to me like they took their standard bourbon (or scotch), and stuck it in a blender with a lump of charcoal.
That's part of the appeal for me. The peat smoke in Johnnie Walker Double Black from Islay Scotch blended in make it my favorite Johnnie Walker. Makers 46 is aged partly in charred oak.

SouthernCPA

Post by SouthernCPA » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:43 pm

The best bang for your buck in my opinion is Buffalo Trace. Fantastic taste and isn't overly expensive.

SouthernCPA

Post by SouthernCPA » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:45 pm

KSOC wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:17 am
destinationnc wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:31 pm
moghopper wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:17 pm
Evan Williams.
Surprised I had to scroll so far to see this. It's pretty close to what Jack Daniels is at about half the price - even the label seems to be a close rip-off. I found out about it from a WSJ article maybe 8 years ago. It's no Knob Creek, Woodford Reserve, or Makers Mark's - but the OP asked for reasonably pried bourbon and this is probably your best value.
Switched to Evan Williams from Jim Beam. Very nice bourbon at great price. I will drink it with regular seltzer, lime seltzer, but usually Coke Zero.
Evan Williams....reminds me of my college days.... :shock:

AllieTB1323

Post by AllieTB1323 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:58 pm

Knob Creek & Buffalo Trace, we look to see if they are in stock at Costco.

Halfvolley

Post by Halfvolley » Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:23 pm

Kirkland

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:41 pm

unstartable wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:40 pm
That's part of the appeal for me. The peat smoke in Johnnie Walker Double Black from Islay Scotch blended in make it my favorite Johnnie Walker. Makers 46 is aged partly in charred oak.
It's not the peat that's offensive. Ardbeg Uigeadail is one of my favorite Scotches, and it has enough peat (55 parts per million) that you can smell it as they're carrying it from the bar. Octomore is several times peatier than that (169-258 PPM!!), and it's delicious in moderate doses.

It's "The blend is matured in heavily charred casks" part that offends the palate (at least mine), which is why I say it tastes like they just blended it with charcoal.

But since we're sharing our favorite JW expressions, mine is "The Spice Road". I have all three of the duty-free-only Explorer Series--the other two being "The Gold Route" and "The Royal Route"--thanks to a wonderful wife who brought me home two bottles every time she travelled internationally for work. The Spice Route is the least expensive of the three--about $46 for a liter--and the tastiest overall. The Royal Route might be a tiny bit better if you're in the mood for something extra smooth, but not enough to justify costing 3x as much.

AllieTB1323

Post by AllieTB1323 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:10 pm

Halfvolley wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:23 pm
Kirkland
Nothing wrong with their bourbon. Today my SIL, a bourbon snob had my daughter pickup two bottles of Kirkland's finest. If Costco is out of Buffalo Trace then Kirkland does the job.

raidman

Post by raidman » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:05 pm

I'm a scotch drinker who takes bourbon as a break.

Just wanted to +1 Ancient Age as a highly sippable bourbon despite its inexpensive spot on the bottom shelf.

Basil Hayden is fantastic at the midrange.

TheGuitarMan

Post by TheGuitarMan » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:16 pm

unstartable wrote:
lazydavid wrote:
All bourbon is aged in charred white oak. :beer

kenoryan

Post by kenoryan » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:17 pm

I’m not much of a bourbon drinker but here’s what I have in my basement bar.
Woodford reserve
Wild turkey 81
Old Crow

Now as far as Scotches are concerned.......

Macallan 12 and 18
Glendronach 12 and 18
Glengoyne 21
Springbank 15
Glenfiddich 15 Solera
Balvenie 12 doublewood
Lagavulin 16
Ardbeg 10
Laphroig 10
Yamazaki 12
Aberlour 12
Nikka

I love ‘em all!

Strayshot

Post by Strayshot » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:38 pm

I guess “reasonably priced” is as subjective as anything else, but in my opinion nearly all commercially available bourbons are reasonably priced. It is tough to find bottles that exceed about $100, and even then if you break $150 you are in to some crazy stuff like high end Stagg at 800+ a bottle. My bourbon habit is WAY cheaper than my Scotch habit so it is all relative.

Lots of good suggestions in here (Eagle Rare, various Jefferson’s, Basil Hayden’s), I will throw in a vote for the Calumet Farm Barrel Select that Total Wine commissioned because I just finished my second dram. Bought it on a hoot today while getting various wine and a 3rd backup bottle of Balvenie 21 Portwood (I live in great fear of that particular expression stopping production and my main bottle suffered about 500ml of damage this weekend due to some shenanigans and cigars) and am enjoying so far!

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:54 pm

I've heard good things about George Dickel Tennessee Whiskey, thinking of picking some up. Anyone here have an opinion? I know it's not bourbon.
Last edited by Nicolas on Sun May 27, 2018 5:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ClaycordJCA

Post by ClaycordJCA » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:33 am

Our local Costco began carrying Woodford Reserve in 1.75 liter bottles. It is now my favorite. If they stop carrying it, I’ll look for Knob Creek, Maker’s Mark and Bulleit in that order.

JDot

Post by JDot » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:39 am

Looking forward to reading through this. For the price, I've been drinking Bulliet. Wish I could find something a little cheaper.

Dead Man Walking

Post by Dead Man Walking » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:27 am

Can't believe that my original post has been revived! I've added Angel's Envy to my list of favorites. It is really smooth for those of us that drink bourbon straight and neat.

DMW

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:35 am

Nicolas wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:54 pm
I've heard good things about George Dickel Tennessee Whiskey, thinking of picking some up. Anyone here have an opinion? I know it's not bourbon.
If you compare it to it’s competition (Jack Daniel's; Jim Beam), there's nothing wrong with a little Dickel.

JT

MJW

Post by MJW » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:33 am

kenoryan wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:17 pm
Yamazaki 12

Nikka
I haven't tried any Japanese whiskeys yet but they are on my to-do list. Do you recommend Yamazaki as a good one to start with? I'm predominately a Scotch and Irish whisky drinker.

TeamArgo

Post by TeamArgo » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:09 pm

AllieTB1323 wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:10 pm
Halfvolley wrote:
Kirkland
Nothing wrong with their bourbon. Today my SIL, a bourbon snob had my daughter pickup two bottles of Kirkland's finest. If Costco is out of Buffalo Trace then Kirkland does the job.
Kirkland can be a bit of a crapshoot. They source from two different distilleries; Buffalo Trace (Frankfort) and Jim Beam (Clarmont). I bought some about three years ago in Louisville and it was great. I have purchased several bottles since I moved to Jacksonville, and they all had a noticeable Jim Beam taste (Beam uses a yeast strain that gives their products a distinctive taste that I find a bit off-putting). But if you like both Beam and Trace brands, have at it!
"A man hears what he wants to hear, and disregards the rest" -Paul Simon (The Boxer, 1970)

deanbrew

Post by deanbrew » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:12 pm

TeamArgo wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:09 pm

Kirkland can be a bit of a crapshoot. They source from two different distilleries; Buffalo Trace (Frankfort) and Jim Beam (Clarmont). I bought some about three years ago in Louisville and it was great. I have purchased several bottles since I moved to Jacksonville, and they all had a noticeable Jim Beam taste (Beam uses a yeast strain that gives their products a distinctive taste that I find a bit off-putting). But if you like both Beam and Trace brands, have at it!
Well, that's interesting. I never knew why I don't like Jim Beam, but I don't. Like you, I like Buffalo Trace a lot, but not Jim Beam. I don't have a Costco near me, so I suppose it doesn't matter, but can you tell on the label which distillery its from?
"The course of history shows that as the government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

oldfatguy

Post by oldfatguy » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:16 pm

TeamArgo wrote:
AllieTB1323 wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:10 pm
Halfvolley wrote:
Kirkland
The last two bottle of Kirkland bourbon I had were distilled and bottled in Tennessee.

TeamArgo

Post by TeamArgo » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:18 pm

deanbrew wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:12 pm
TeamArgo wrote:

Well, that's interesting. I never knew why I don't like Jim Beam, but I don't. Like you, I like Buffalo Trace a lot, but not Jim Beam. I don't have a Costco near me, so I suppose it doesn't matter, but can you tell on the label which distillery its from?
No. They use the same label on all bottles, and it lists both cities as their source. The distilleries themselves are not named, although those two are the only ones in those towns. The taste I refer to is called the "Beam funk" by the younger generation of bourbon drinkers in Kentucky.
"A man hears what he wants to hear, and disregards the rest" -Paul Simon (The Boxer, 1970)

TeamArgo

Post by TeamArgo » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:21 pm

oldfatguy wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:16 pm

The last two bottle of Kirkland bourbon I had were distilled and bottled in Tennessee.
I had heard they had a Tennessee Whiskey, but did not know they were selling it as their bourbon. Looks like they have switched sources since I last bought from them! Do they list a city?

oldfatguy

Post by oldfatguy » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:24 pm

TeamArgo wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:21 pm
oldfatguy wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:16 pm

I had heard they had a Tennessee Whiskey, but did not know they were selling it as their bourbon. Looks like they have switched sources since I last bought from them! Do they list a city?
"Tennessee Distilling" in Columbia, TN

https://www.ttbonline.gov/colasonline/v ... 4001000055

bltkmt

Post by bltkmt » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:35 pm

BanquetBeer wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:27 am
My favorite in that whole category is glenlevit 15yr
Isn't that a scotch, and not bourbon?

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:52 pm

bltkmt wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:35 pm
BanquetBeer wrote:
Glenlivet is a scotch for sure. I don't know what Glenlevit is :P

deanbrew

Post by deanbrew » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:54 pm

lazydavid wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:52 pm
bltkmt wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:35 pm
BanquetBeer wrote:
Glenlivet is a scotch for sure. I don't know what Glenlevit is :P
I think that's scotch that was distilled in a 60s tract home.
"The course of history shows that as the government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

meowcat

Post by meowcat » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:46 pm

I'm always looking for a good bourbon. I've narrowed my favorites down to Woodford Reserve and Knob Creek. Several years ago, on my journey to finding my favorite bourbon, I discovered scotch. I asked myself, "why am I still looking for a good bourbon?" I still drink bourbon now and again but my go-to cocktail is Johnny Walker Black neat or Crown Royal/rocks.
More people should learn to tell their dollars where to go instead of asking them where they went. | -Roger Babson

kenoryan

Post by kenoryan » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:55 pm

MJW wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:33 am
kenoryan wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:17 pm
Yamazaki 12

Nikka
I haven't tried any Japanese whiskeys yet but they are on my to-do list. Do you recommend Yamazaki as a good one to start with? I'm predominately a Scotch and Irish whisky drinker.
Yamazaki is tough to get hold of. The Nikka grain is pretty good. The first time I had that was at the Multnomah whisky library in Portland. I’ve had a Japanese Rice Whiskey (Fukano) which was pretty good. The Hibiki 21 is a good one but the lousy one (harmony) is the one that is commonly available. I wouldn’t buy that.

There are some decent Indian whiskeys too. Amrut Fusion was pretty good. I just bought a bottle of Amrut Amalgam. Haven’t tried it yet. There’s another one called John Paul which is supposed to be decent.

My go to Scotchas are Balvenie doublewood, Macallan 12 and Springbank 10.

By the way, the Costco Bourbon is exactly like Jim Beam. Harsh. Woodford Reserve or Bulleit any day for me.

EGARCH

Post by EGARCH » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:36 pm

Woodford Reserve Double Oak

unstartable

Post by unstartable » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:03 am

TheGuitarMan wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:16 pm
unstartable wrote:
lazydavid wrote:
Fair enough. I guess I meant to say that it is aged longer? than regular Makers Mark with the addition of more charred oak.

mdroz888

Post by mdroz888 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:14 am

Four Roses Single Barrel
Eagle Rare

peterinjapan

Post by peterinjapan » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:06 am

I really like Nikka Yoichi, a nice flavor that's not high-end and very approachable. Sort of a cross between Yamazaki and Hakushu by Suntory.

MJW

Post by MJW » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:14 pm

kenoryan wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:55 pm
Yamazaki is tough to get hold of. The Nikka grain is pretty good. The first time I had that was at the Multnomah whisky library in Portland. I’ve had a Japanese Rice Whiskey (Fukano) which was pretty good. The Hibiki 21 is a good one but the lousy one (harmony) is the one that is commonly available. I wouldn’t buy that.

There are some decent Indian whiskeys too. Amrut Fusion was pretty good. I just bought a bottle of Amrut Amalgam. Haven’t tried it yet. There’s another one called John Paul which is supposed to be decent.

Thank you for the reply. I could have sworn I saw Yamazaki at Total Wine but perhaps I was mistaken. If all else fails, the Multnomah Whisky Library is not too far away. Appreciate the heads up on Hibiki, as I was eyeing the Harmony.

Indian whiskey wasn't even on my radar so now I have that to look into as well. What a world we live in..

I'm a fan of Balvenie Doublewood 12 year. I'd say it cracks my top five. I had the 14 year Caribbean Cask as well and thought it was good but preferred the Doublewood over it.

TheGuitarMan

Post by TheGuitarMan » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:43 pm

unstartable wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:03 am
TheGuitarMan wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:16 pm
unstartable wrote:
lazydavid wrote:
Fair enough. I guess I meant to say that it is aged longer? than regular Makers Mark with the addition of more charred oak.
Right, the Makers 46 adds seared French Oak staves to the barrel for the extra time. Bourbon can get quite bitter when aged for more than 10 years, so the staves help tame some of that :beer

kenoryan

Post by kenoryan » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:19 pm

MJW wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:14 pm
kenoryan wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:55 pm

Thank you for the reply. I could have sworn I saw Yamazaki at Total Wine but perhaps I was mistaken. If all else fails, the Multnomah Whisky Library is not too far away. Appreciate the heads up on Hibiki, as I was eyeing the Harmony.

Indian whiskey wasn't even on my radar so now I have that to look into as well. What a world we live in..

I'm a fan of Balvenie Doublewood 12 year. I'd say it cracks my top five. I had the 14 year Caribbean Cask as well and thought it was good but preferred the Doublewood over it.
Be careful. Multnomah Whiskey library is super expensive. It was $50 for a dram of Yamazaki. But I had had dinner and wine across the street at Tasty and Alder, so was feeling a little generous!

j0nnyg1984

Post by j0nnyg1984 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:24 pm

I try to stick only with single barrels.

currently have Colonel EH Taylor, Blantons, and Four Roses. I have a bottle of Jim Beam, the cheap stuff, and it's absolutely disgusting. My go-to mixer is the Kirkland branded bottle of Crown.

j0nnyg1984

Post by j0nnyg1984 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:47 pm

unstartable wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:33 pm
None of that trash from MGP (look it up)
What a ridiculous statement. If you're telling other people to "look it up," I'm sure you're aware that MGP has many award winning liquors?

Now, don't get me wrong, I think it's quite shady that people buy a wholly MGP produced liquor and rebrand it as their own, but hey, that's the game. I'd bet you a bottle that you couldn't tell the difference.

unstartable

Post by unstartable » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:12 pm

j0nnyg1984 wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:47 pm
unstartable wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:33 pm
None of that trash from MGP (look it up)
What a ridiculous statement. If you're telling other people to "look it up," I'm sure you're aware that MGP has many award winning liquors?

Now, don't get me wrong, I think it's quite shady that people buy a wholly MGP produced liquor and rebrand it as their own, but hey, that's the game. I'd bet you a bottle that you couldn't tell the difference.
Ok. That statement was hyperbole. The products MGP makes are fine and drinkable in the same why that other mass produced, relatively inexpensive spirts are.

But, nothing makes an MGP whiskey in a fancy bottle with a little extra aging and a made-up story about a historic or craft recipe worth $80-$100.

kenoryan

Post by kenoryan » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:47 pm

peterinjapan wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:06 am
I really like Nikka Yoichi, a nice flavor that's not high-end and very approachable. Sort of a cross between Yamazaki and Hakushu by Suntory.
Thank you. I’m going to try Nikka Yoichi.