What is your favorite reasonably priced bourbon?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Lee_WSP

Re: What is your favorite reasonably priced bourbon?

Post by Lee_WSP »

Woodford in the 1.75l on sale is pretty reasonably priced as is knob Creek
mak1277

Post by mak1277 »

Adding to the short list I posted earlier in the thread, Hudson Baby Bourbon is excellent. I don't know exactly where people think "reasonably priced" begins and ends, but it's damn good
SueG5123

Post by SueG5123 »

DH and I did a blind test (at home) a few years ago, including Maker’s, Buffalo Trace, Jim Beam, and a couple others. To our surprise... Jim Beam won out! Just goes to show that $$$ alone does not alone a bourbon make...

As a native Kentuckian... I can only point out that bourbon comes from Kentucky. The others that do not may be fine, but they are not bourbons... (Particularly... there is no such thing as a Texas bourbon!)
Wannaretireearly

Post by Wannaretireearly »

Tag. My kinda thread!
I haven't looked at all the posts, what have I missed?

I just bought buckhorn kentucky and would give it 5 or 6 out of 10 (not impressed). I like knob creek, give that a 7 or 8 out of 10. If you agree (ha) what is an 8 or 9 out of 10?

I bought buckhorn on a whim at total wine based on a friends quick recommendation. No more whims for me!
Buy Low, Sell High
Carter3

Post by Carter3 »

I love this thread. Here's my go to.

Four Roses single barrel - evening sipper
Buffalo trace - patio sipper
Old grandad bottle in bond - great and inexpensive
Makers or knob creek for old fashioned
Carter3

Post by Carter3 »

Carter3 wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:56 am
dbr wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:29 am George Dickel, if that counts. I am a little biased by having actually visited the distillery, which is a fun trip.
Good old Tullahoma that's where I spent the summers of my youth
Haaa. I read this and almost replied 🤣
Chip

Post by Chip »

SueG5123 wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:19 pm As a native Kentuckian... I can only point out that bourbon comes from Kentucky. The others that do not may be fine, but they are not bourbons... (Particularly... there is no such thing as a Texas bourbon!)
I'm relatively certain that most Kentuckians feel that way, but the bourbon laws only geographic requirement is that it be made in the United States.

So there can actually be a Texas bourbon, though I understand that Kentuckians may view it the way Texans view Kentucky barbecue. :D
Last edited by Chip on Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SueG5123

Post by SueG5123 »

I'm relatively certain that most Kentuckians feel that way, but the bourbon laws only geographic requirement is that it be made in the United States.

So there can actually be a Texas bourbon, though I understand that Kentuckians may view it the way Texans view Kentucky barbecue. :D
Your link didn’t work, so “bourbon laws” remain a mystery.

However, bourbon must be at least 51% corn and use the limestone water that Kentucky has in abundance. Perhaps I’ve missed all the caves in Texas (I’ve lived here for over two decades), or perhaps Texas imports limestone water???

Having tried Texas barbecue, I can only commend the stuff that comes from my husbands smoker... or from Memphis...
Ramjet

Post by Ramjet »

Buffalo Trace hands down!
Hayduke

Post by Hayduke »

SueG5123 wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:22 am
However, bourbon must be at least 51% corn and use the limestone water that Kentucky has in abundance. Perhaps I’ve missed all the caves in Texas (I’ve lived here for over two decades), or perhaps Texas imports limestone water???
There's actually no requirement about the source of the water or anything specific to Kentucky in the federal requirements for labeling something bourbon: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bourbon_w ... quirements.
HeartinAK

Post by HeartinAK »

Huge bourbon fan so have to reply :)
Old Forester or Buffalo Trace for sipping straight or over ice. Love bourbons that have some complexity and great smell (think caramel).
Knob Creek or Elijah Craig for mixing.
Chip

Post by Chip »

SueG5123 wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:22 am Your link didn’t work, so “bourbon laws” remain a mystery.
Sorry about the bad link. I've fixed it to the Angel's Envy site I intended to use, but Hayduke's Wikipedia reference is more thorough.

As Hayduke said, there's no requirement for limestone water, though I have a friend who is making bourbon in north Florida. Plenty of limestone water there!

We are in full agreement about Memphis BBQ, though that's all I'll say as the forum doesn't allow religious discussions. :P
wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette »

SueG5123 wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:19 pm DH and I did a blind test (at home) a few years ago, including Maker’s, Buffalo Trace, Jim Beam, and a couple others. To our surprise... Jim Beam won out! Just goes to show that $$$ alone does not alone a bourbon make...

As a native Kentuckian... I can only point out that bourbon comes from Kentucky. The others that do not may be fine, but they are not bourbons... (Particularly... there is no such thing as a Texas bourbon!)
Was Evan Williams in the bunch? I preferred it over Jim Beam.
wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette »

Chip wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:36 pm
SueG5123 wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:22 am Your link didn’t work, so “bourbon laws” remain a mystery.
Sorry about the bad link. I've fixed it to the Angel's Envy site I intended to use, but Hayduke's Wikipedia reference is more thorough.

As Hayduke said, there's no requirement for limestone water, though I have a friend who is making bourbon in north Florida. Plenty of limestone water there!

We are in full agreement about Memphis BBQ, though that's all I'll say as the forum doesn't allow religious discussions. :P
Never met a regional BBQ I didn't like.
deanbrew

Post by deanbrew »

wfrobinette wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:57 pm
Was Evan Williams in the bunch? I preferred it over Jim Beam.
Me too. Evan Williams is my standard mixing bourbon. You can't beat it for the taste/price/value. If drinking neat or with ice, I generally go between Knob Creek, Four Roses, Woodford Reserve and Bulliet. But Evan Williams bottled in bond and single barrel are both pretty darn good straight, and good values.
"The course of history shows that as the government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson
Blake7

Post by Blake7 »

Just researched bourbon recently as I wanted a break from scotch. I’ve never purchased bourbon before, but have tried it on several occasions. I settled for Wild Turkey 101, as it got good reviews and is not too sweet. $18.99 at Trader Joe’s yesterday. It’s surprisingly good, especially for the price.
gonefishing01

Post by gonefishing01 »

Been gravitating to the Michters US1 small batch lately :beer
mkc

Post by mkc »

Also a fan, and much prefer wheated to bourbons with rye in them. Funny - I learned of this preference on a Buffalo Trace tour years ago.

My everyday is Makers. Deep of winter I prefer Makers 46.

I'd love to sample other wheateds so reading through this thread for suggestions.
Taz

Post by Taz »

wfrobinette wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:04 pm Never met a regional BBQ I didn't like.
You might have to reconsider that statement if you ever try Alabama white BBQ sauce.
The destination matters.
familythriftmd

Post by familythriftmd »

Out of what is available everywhere, I like both Maker's and Knob Creek.
In the northeast, I thought Berkshire Bourbon was a great deal. It was fantastic in an old fashioned sweetened with maple syrup instead of the conventional sugar or simple.
Driftless Glen makes a good bourbon in Wisconsin, although Wisconsinites tend to prefer brandy to bourbon.
Thrift stores, outlets and market corrections have this in common: you're buying on sale.
SCb&b

Post by SCb&b »

Weller green label. $30 and a bargain at that
mouth

Post by mouth »

Kenkat wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:21 pm One of the things I like about bourbons is the variety - so many to try - I have 5 bottles in various states that I am currently going through. A few of my favorites:

Agree that Four Roses is very good
Buffalo Trace
Angels Envy
Makers / Makers 46
Basil and Hayden
I second Angels Envy. Also makes a really nice Old Fashioned, but i tend to take it neat as well.
deanbrew

Post by deanbrew »

SCb&b wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:53 pm Weller green label. $30 and a bargain at that
Where are you finding Weller's, especially at $30? I've been looking for over a year and have yet to find a bottle anywhere. I've heard it at two to three times that price, but I haven't even seen it at any price.
"The course of history shows that as the government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson
SCb&b

Post by SCb&b »

deanbrew wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:00 pm
SCb&b wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:53 pm Weller green label. $30 and a bargain at that
Where are you finding Weller's, especially at $30? I've been looking for over a year and have yet to find a bottle anywhere. I've heard it at two to three times that price, but I haven't even seen it at any price.
Hmmm I know of a place. It's not in PA though.

I've said enough.
stilts1007

Post by stilts1007 »

Weller bourbon is tasty but not worth the price & the difficulty in finding IMO.

One bottle I will always have in my liquor cabinet (also made by Buffalo Trace) is E.H. Taylor Small Batch. It's tasty to drink on its own neat or with a little ice, but it's not TOO expensive or hard to find so I don't feel too bad using it in a cocktail in a pinch (or when friends come over and want to drink in quantity).

It's around $40 a bottle which may seem expensive compared to some of the stuff people have listed on here, but that's around the sweet spot for me. I have a couple special-occasion bottles that cost way more, but for me, it's mostly diminishing returns around $40 or $50 a bottle.
GT99

Post by GT99 »

There are so many really good bourbon's out there.
I know I'm in the tiny minority, but I think Four Roses is way overrated. I don't get it. I've been a bourbon drinker for a long time - when I first started drinking it Four Roses was widely considered bottom rung. Then they apparently stepped up their game, and it became super trendy probably around 7 or 8 years ago. At that point, I tried the small batch again to see what everyone was talking about, and still wasn't a fan. And ever since, it's always one of the most recommended bourbon's I've seen - I tried it again probably a year ago, and still not a fan.

I do drink my bourbon on the rocks (or more accurately, hugely 1 large "rock"). I was vindicated in this on the bourbon trail when a couple distillers recommended this over neat. Anyway, could be Four Roses is better neat.

My recommendations...
-I always have Bulleit on hand, but it's never my first bourbon of the evening. :D
-Eagle Rare...one of the best value out there if you can find it (I rarely see it anymore)
-Recently got into Michter's Small Batch and was impressed
-Widow Jane 10 year - probably a bit more than most would consider reasonably priced, but outstanding.
-Jefferson's Ocean - My Costco has it at $60. I think it's worth it - I thought the whole "aged at sea" thing was a gimmick, and maybe it is, but it's still delicious.
-Angel's Envy
MJD

Post by MJD »

Larceny at $40/handle at Costco is an outstanding value for a wheated bourbon. Stands up well neat, mixed in Manhattans and Old Fashioneds, or on the rocks.
Bulleit and Buffalo Trace are also great values....and Knob Creek

Those are my choices <= $30/bottle.
2pedals

Post by 2pedals »

Samuel Grant sold by Safeway
wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette »

Taz wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:34 pm
wfrobinette wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:04 pm Never met a regional BBQ I didn't like.
You might have to reconsider that statement if you ever try Alabama white BBQ sauce.
I go sauceless most of the time unless it's ribs or on a sandwich. Looked at the white sauce recipe and I think I'd like it.
Luke Duke

Post by Luke Duke »

BanquetBeer wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:27 am My favorite in that whole category is glenlevit 15yr and TX whiskey.

TX is more caramel and smooth. https://www.frdistilling.com/tx-blended-whiskey/

I've tried many many different things but I'd have to say TX has been a crowd favorite. Only think I drink mixed is rum and coconut water.
TX Whiskey is definitely a favorite of mine.
mak1277

Post by mak1277 »

GT99 wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:25 pm There are so many really good bourbon's out there.
I know I'm in the tiny minority, but I think Four Roses is way overrated. I don't get it. I've been a bourbon drinker for a long time - when I first started drinking it Four Roses was widely considered bottom rung. Then they apparently stepped up their game, and it became super trendy probably around 7 or 8 years ago. At that point, I tried the small batch again to see what everyone was talking about, and still wasn't a fan. And ever since, it's always one of the most recommended bourbon's I've seen - I tried it again probably a year ago, and still not a fan.

I do drink my bourbon on the rocks (or more accurately, hugely 1 large "rock"). I was vindicated in this on the bourbon trail when a couple distillers recommended this over neat. Anyway, could be Four Roses is better neat.

My recommendations...
-I always have Bulleit on hand, but it's never my first bourbon of the evening. :D
-Eagle Rare...one of the best value out there if you can find it (I rarely see it anymore)
-Recently got into Michter's Small Batch and was impressed
-Widow Jane 10 year - probably a bit more than most would consider reasonably priced, but outstanding.
-Jefferson's Ocean - My Costco has it at $60. I think it's worth it - I thought the whole "aged at sea" thing was a gimmick, and maybe it is, but it's still delicious.
-Angel's Envy
Everyone has their "outlier" for which they don't understand the hype. Mine is Bulleit. Everyone seems to rave about it (although I know you're not doing that based on your comment), but I just find it average at best and can't imagine every buying it again (because, as you said, there's so much better out there). I'd rather just have a bottle of Beam or Beam Black or Wild Turkey or .. or .. or ... on hand to serve guests that don't deserve the expensive stuff.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

Is that the Special Reserve?
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

mouth wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:54 pm
Kenkat wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:21 pm One of the things I like about bourbons is the variety - so many to try - I have 5 bottles in various states that I am currently going through. A few of my favorites:

Agree that Four Roses is very good
Buffalo Trace
Angels Envy
Makers / Makers 46
Basil and Hayden
I second Angels Envy. Also makes a really nice Old Fashioned, but i tend to take it neat as well.
:sharebeer

On the three year anniversary of my previous post, here’s the current lineup:

1792 Small Batch
Russell’s Reserve Single Barrel Cask Strength
Willett Rye Small Batch Cask Strength
Angel’s Envy
Maker’s Mark
Jefferson Ocean (Voyage 17j
CheCha54

Post by CheCha54 »

Weller Special Reserve at between $30 and $40 where I am.
SuperSaver

Post by SuperSaver »

Kentuckian here. Spent time in Derby City as well. A chemical engineer for one of the major distillers told me that the best bang for your buck is OLD FORRESTER.

PERSONALLY I am an Elijah Craig fan myself

Enjoy
deanbrew

Post by deanbrew »

CheCha54 wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:20 pm Weller Special Reserve at between $30 and $40 where I am.
And where's that? I've looked in PA , MD, NC and SC and haven't found it at any price.
Frugalman

Post by Frugalman »

heathshuler wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:17 am Henry McKenna Single Barrel. 100 proof, 10 years old, and Bottled in Bond at $30-$35 price point.
This!
Although I can't get it for that price anymore after it won "best in show" a couple years back.
Last edited by Frugalman on Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
triggertreat

Post by triggertreat »

Old Forrester Signature
Old Grand Dad 114
Early Times Bottled in Bond
for something a little different Old Forrester Rye
I like mine neat - no ice no water.
triggertreat

Post by triggertreat »

deanbrew wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:16 pm And where's that? I've looked in PA , MD, NC and SC and haven't found it at any price.
How close are you to Ohio? https://www.ohlq.com/
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

familythriftmd wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:51 pm Out of what is available everywhere, I like both Maker's and Knob Creek.
In the northeast, I thought Berkshire Bourbon was a great deal. It was fantastic in an old fashioned sweetened with maple syrup instead of the conventional sugar or simple.
Driftless Glen makes a good bourbon in Wisconsin, although Wisconsinites tend to prefer brandy to bourbon.
I also like Maker's Mark. If you like Knob Creek and maple syrup, you might want to try the Knob Creek Smoked Maple. I won't go near the stuff. From an earlier post:
LadyGeek wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:54 pm
Taz wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:15 pm Knob Creek (not the Maple stuff)
Four Roses Small or Single
Maker's Mark
Bullit rye
1792 (w/ a touch of water)

And if you want to try something different (sweeter & spicy): Alberta Rye Whiskey Dark Batch
Regarding Knob Creek, I can't emphasize the "not the Maple stuff" enough. This is the first bourbon that I absolutely could not drink. Not a chance. Yuk. 😝My husband liked it, though.

I'm working through the Knob Creek 120 proof, single barrel small batch, 9 year. I have no idea how much it cost, it was a gift. Not bad, you might want to cut it with a bit of water.
(My husband passed away earlier this year, but this is what I posted.)
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
triggertreat

Post by triggertreat »

LadyGeek wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:00 pm
I also like Maker's Mark. If you like Knob Creek and maple syrup, you might want to try the Knob Creek Smoked Maple. I won't go near the stuff. From an earlier post:
LadyGeek wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:54 pm
(My husband passed away earlier this year, but this is what I posted.)
[ quote fixed by admin LadyGeek]

I agree .A friend offered me ataste this weekend and I couldnt get past the smell :happy
CheCha54

Post by CheCha54 »

deanbrew wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:16 pm
CheCha54 wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:20 pm Weller Special Reserve at between $30 and $40 where I am.
And where's that? I've looked in PA , MD, NC and SC and haven't found it at any price.
[/quote

Northwest Ga.
Jim Profit

Post by Jim Profit »

Unfortunately given the hot state of the bourbon collecting hobby, some reasonably-priced options are very difficult to find so I'll categorize my choices as follows:

Available Everywhere, Easy To Find
  • Maker's 46, Evan Williams Bottled-in-Bond (white label)
Somewhat Available, depends on local market
  • Eagle Rare 10year, Jim Beam Old Tub (recent limited edition though)
Difficult to Find, depends on local market
  • Weller Special Reserve (green label), Old Ezra 7 Barrel Proof
Osterix

Post by Osterix »

SueG5123 wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:22 am

Your link didn’t work, so “bourbon laws” remain a mystery.

Having tried Texas barbecue, I can only commend the stuff that comes from my husbands smoker... or from Memphis...
https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/27/5.22

In 1964, the US senate decided the definition of bourbon. To legally be called bourbon, it must be made in the US (any state), have a mash of at least 51% corn, distilled at no higher than 160 proof (that’s vodka territory), aged in new charred white oak barrels at no higher than 125 proof, bottled at a minimum of 80 proof.

While Kentucky is obviously important to bourbon legacy, the local limestone water from the Ohio River is not a requirement.

There’s an excellent documentary on the history of bourbon call “Neat”. Viewed on Amazon Prime.
Osterix

Post by Osterix »

Taz wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:34 pm
Alabama white sauce is amazing!
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

triggertreat wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:46 pm
deanbrew wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:16 pm And where's that? I've looked in PA , MD, NC and SC and haven't found it at any price.
I am in Southern Ohio and the Weller Special Reserve is pretty scarce; I’ve seen it occasionally but you must have a store that’s got a good source lined up.
Nowizard

Post by Nowizard »

I was surprised that staff at a large, local store most highly respect recommended Small Batch Four Roses. It is very reasonably priced. Tried it and like it, though would have to say that many taste buds have probably quit functioning at my age.

Tim
Kuna_Papa_Wengi

Post by Kuna_Papa_Wengi »

Nicolas wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:54 pm I've heard good things about George Dickel Tennessee Whiskey, thinking of picking some up. Anyone here have an opinion? I know it's not bourbon.
I like to drink whiskey over ice. My favorite so far is Gentleman Jack ($35). It doesn't burn like many whiskeys and tastes almost sweet. I recently bought some George Dickel white label ($22). It's good, but I don't like it as much as the jack. It's not as smooth or as easy to drink. I've been looking for something as good as the Gentleman Jack, but closer to $20.
blastoff

Post by blastoff »

Evan Williams BIB.
deanbrew

Post by deanbrew »

triggertreat wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:46 pm
Not close enough. Thanks for the tip.