Management career job search

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
prettybogle

Management career job search

Post by prettybogle »

Good Friday BH gurus. We really benefited a lot from the collective wisdom of everyone in this great forum. As always, Hope to get great advice, information on this one.
I worked as a technology lead in a IT shop but gave a break of about 6 months and stayed home to take care of our daughter. I am now contemplating to start working again. I am interested in pursuing management career. I'd really appreciate if y'all help me with some pointers on job search, study materials, learning resources online and anything else helpful.
youdiditr2

Re: Management career job search

Post by youdiditr2 »

Volunteer for project. Take lead in assignment. Become a subject matter expert in something. Kiss up to people that can put you in management.
Knowing the right people is just as important as knowning your job. Most manager don't even know crap about what their reports are doing!

That worked for me!
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

Mostly about networking. Linked in. Follow up with prior work contacts. Find network groups in the field you are looking.
Billionaire

Post by Billionaire »

youdiditr2 wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:31 pm. Kiss up to people that can put you in management.
Dang, wish I knew that 20 years ago.
Topic Author
prettybogle

Post by prettybogle »

Thanks for the replies. I'd really appreciate any pointers on job search, study materials, learning resources online and anything else helpful.
gunn_show

Post by gunn_show »

JBTX wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:32 pm Mostly about networking. Linked in. Follow up with prior work contacts. Find network groups in the field you are looking.
Honestly, not a lot of data to go on here, to make much commentary on. As pointed out, networking is the biggest piece, and updating and staying glued to LinkedIn and doing all the things on that site to be seen and let the recruiters know you are hunting and available. Also go straight to the career pages of the top 20 or 50 companies you would want to work for (that's how I got my current Fortune50 company position, the old school way of blind applying online).

But more importantly - be more specific in what you want? What is a management career? That is pretty darn generic. You were a tech lead in an IT shop.. ok.. so you want to be a tech manager in an IT shop? Or manage a McDonald's? Specifics.

From my tech industry career (10+ years, 2 Fortune 100 employers) standpoint, the easiest way (and it is not easy, period) to get a management level position is to already work at a company, pull several years of top performance reviews, network like hell (ie kiss up to upper management, put yourself in position to impress, run projects, your name is known), and wait your time. It will be pretty difficult to go from IT Lead + out of work --> to middle management off the street. Unless you have some amazing resume that you haven't told us about, and you have a good reason you didn't finish the last gig in a management level role. I don't see how you are making the leap here. There is no "study material" for this, you're not taking the GMAT for your MBA. Learning resources online won't help you get a management job, that I know of. It really comes down to your resume and work history, your network, your ability to hustle, and to get in front of as many recruiters and hiring managers as possible, to widen your potential pool in hopes one becomes an offer at the level you want. Not much magic to it. Good luck.

*Edit to add: the only things i would study, would be the industry / market / company / story for every organization I land an interview with, so I go into the interviews sounding ready and knowledgeable about the potential role, like I did some homework. You go into an interview not knowing anything about the role or products or projects you'd be working on, and you're dead.
"The best life hack of all is to just put the work in and never give up." Bas Rutten
BHUser27

Post by BHUser27 »

What kind of management?
Regarding job search, get your LinkedIn profile right first. There is a ton of free guidance online about LinkedIn profile do's and don'ts.
Connect with your 'network' and let them know you are looking.
I recently returned to work after a short break and had best success reaching out to HR recruiters and managers via LinkedIn to express interest and submit my resume.
For me (Electronics Engineer), the best path to management was to work up the chain through Tech Lead, then Project Management, then corporate management.
Depending on the company and role, a PMP certificate might be useful and/or an MBA. (But not required for a lot of mgmt roles)
Last edited by BHUser27 on Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

People management, project management, or ??

Coursera has a lot of leadership classes for people management but folks are often promoted into positions versus hired into them so you might need a individual contributor job and then work your way into it.
market timer

Post by market timer »

My generic advice would be to go into management consulting and exit to a corporate role.

For a mid-career professional who has always been an individual contributor, I'd suggest looking for companies that are growing rapidly and make it known during the interview process that you are looking to transition to management.