IOS 11: Anybody using it yet?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
oldcomputerguy

IOS 11: Anybody using it yet?

Post by oldcomputerguy »

I just noticed that an update to IOS 11 is available for my iPad. I'm a big believer in keeping software up-to-date to make it more bulletproof to intruders. However, there were some unintended consequences last time I willy-nilly applied an OS update from one major version to the next, so I'm a bit gun-shy of this update, especially given that this iPad is used for security on some of my financial accounts (Fidelity and Vanguard to name two). Obviously the last thing I want to do is break something and lock myself out of these accounts.

Has anyone made the leap of faith and installed IOS 11? If so, and you use 2FA apps such as Symantec VIP Access or Google Authenticator, did you run into any difficulties?
JeffAL

Re: IOS 11: Anybody using it yet?

Post by JeffAL »

Installed on my 7+ the day it came out. No issues.

Edit to add: I use Google Authenticator, no issues there either.
WhyNotUs

Post by WhyNotUs »

I loaded 11 on my new phone. It works well so far. I am not usually an early adaptor on iOS but took a chance and have not had any issues.

I don't use VIP or GA.
I own the next hot stock- VTSAX
CCD

Post by CCD »

Installed in my iPhone 6+ no issues. I have Microsoft Authenticator, VIP and PingID; all are working fine without needing to reenter account info.
WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima »

Loaded to my iPhone SE. Very fast and smooth. Like it.
H-Town

Post by H-Town »

I used iOS 11 on iPhone 6 since it was the first beta release. I've been using new features for a while. No groundbreaking or anything. The final version is snappy.
AntsOnTheMarch

Post by AntsOnTheMarch »

For a major release, I wait until the second or third update before upgrading. Within the first few weeks, there are usually issues for some users that need to get resolved. We have 4 iOS devices at our house and I'd rather not run into any bleeding edge problems if I can avoid them. One thing I did ahead of the releas was to check what apps might break. None that I care about on my devices.

https://ios.gadgethacks.com/how-to/chec ... 1-0176791/
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

My primary iPad use is with aircraft navigation software, and I always wait for that software company to run validation testing and confirm that it runs bug free before I load an updates IOS. That should happen in 1-3 days.
DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor »

Any one running old apps that may be 32 bit, be aware that IOS 11 does not support 32 bit apps. If you have apps that have not been updated since mid 2015, it may be a 32 bit app. See arstechica's review of IOS 11 - The end of 32 bit apps:https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/09 ... ewed/3/#h2
Wiki
tup45678

Post by tup45678 »

I’m using it now, everything feels faster and more responsive. I can’t remember such a noticeable performance boost in any prior updates. I’m very pleased.
marcwd

Post by marcwd »

I seemed to have picked up 2gb of available space on my 16gb SE after this update. Hard to believe...but I’ll take it. :happy
Last edited by marcwd on Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

I’m getting used to the new keyboard on my iPad.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
student

Post by student »

I did. There were some battery issues. Maybe it was doing indexing. I did hard resets and it seems fine now.
climber2020

Post by climber2020 »

I used it for a few days then downgraded back to 10.3.3.

You can't turn wifi or Bluetooth off using control center anymore. And at 5 am it turns back on automatically even when turned off in Settings. I'm going to wait until this is changed in a future update.
Iliketoridemybike

Post by Iliketoridemybike »

Love the keyboard and the ability to have multiple apps open on one page.
harrington

Post by harrington »

I downloaded it the day it became available on my 5s and everything works great....
SpringMan

Post by SpringMan »

My wife's iPad was updated to IOS 11 and it broke one of her paid for games, Mahjong. It says an update is needed but apparently not yet available. Maybe they will fix it soon.
Best Wishes, SpringMan
Invisi8

Post by Invisi8 »

I have to say, I'm not a big fan of the wifi/bluetooth connection changes.

Here's a link: https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-real ... in-ios-11/

Frankly, when I want something turned off, I mean OFF. I don't want it to turn back on, I don't want it to disconnect, I mean off.

I'm still on iOS10, and this truly might be the thing to keep me there.
BC_Doc

Post by BC_Doc »

I think the most important feature is the “Do Not Disturb— Driving” function. Texts don’t come through while I’m driving, nor do telephone calls unless the phone is paired to the vehicle stereo via Blue Tooth for hands-free phone calls. I am a big, big fan of this safety feature—I am verry happy to see it in the new iOS and so far satisfied with how it works. I suspect it will save some lives.
Cash

Post by Cash »

Invisi8 wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:46 pm I have to say, I'm not a big fan of the wifi/bluetooth connection changes.

Frankly, when I want something turned off, I mean OFF. I don't want it to turn back on, I don't want it to disconnect, I mean off.

Is it that inconvenient for you to go to settings?
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Downloaded it last night. No problem thus far and works fine.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
climber2020

Post by climber2020 »

Cash wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:01 am
Invisi8 wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:46 pm I have to say, I'm not a big fan of the wifi/bluetooth connection changes.

Still turns itself on at 5 am regardless.
loveyourheart

Post by loveyourheart »

Yes, works great
limine

Post by limine »

I have a 7 and a 7+, and OS 11 is working just fine on both.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

The new keyboard is going to take some getting used to. No problems on my iPad Pro 9.7 though.
marc515

Post by marc515 »

Two 7S+ phones, and iOS 11 is running great
m
jimcrawford01

Post by jimcrawford01 »

harrington wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:15 pm I downloaded it the day it became available on my 5s and everything works great....
Hmmm...
I had read that iOS11 would no longer support any Phone 5, period.
I have an iPhone 5c and I have concerns.
What is the understanding of other folks here?
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

jimcrawford01 wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:28 am
harrington wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:15 pm I downloaded it the day it became available on my 5s and everything works great....
Hmmm...
https://www.apple.com/ios/ios-11/
iOS 11 is compatible with these devices.

iPhone
iPhone X
iPhone 8
iPhone 8 Plus
iPhone 7
iPhone 7 Plus
iPhone 6s
iPhone 6s Plus
iPhone 6
iPhone 6 Plus
iPhone SE
iPhone 5s

iPad
12.9-inch iPad Pro 2nd generation
12.9-inch iPad Pro 1st generation
10.5-inch iPad Pro
9.7-inch iPad Pro
iPad Air 2
iPad Air
iPad 5th generation
iPad mini 4
iPad mini 3
iPad mini 2

iPod
iPod touch 6th generation
Cash

Post by Cash »

climber2020 wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:09 am
Cash wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:01 am

Still turns itself on at 5 am regardless.
Read the article again:
If you deactivate Bluetooth and/or Wi-Fi via Control Center, both will reactivate automatically starting at 5 a.m., or if you restart your device.
(emphasis added) Control center is not the same as settings.
harrington

Post by harrington »

Hmmm...
It will only work on the 5s not the 5 or 5c. It won't even let you download it on the 5 or 5c. I put it on my 5s and it works fine.
jimcrawford01

Post by jimcrawford01 »

harrington wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:46 am
Hmmm...
It will only work on the 5s not the 5 or 5c. It won't even let you download it on the 5 or 5c. I put it on my 5s and it works fine.
Good to know. Thanks to all for the info.
kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin »

oldcomputerguy wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:52 pm I just noticed that an update to IOS 11 is available for my iPad. I'm a big believer in keeping software up-to-date to make it more bulletproof to intruders. However, there were some unintended consequences last time I willy-nilly applied an OS update from one major version to the next, so I'm a bit gun-shy of this update, especially given that this iPad is used for security on some of my financial accounts (Fidelity and Vanguard to name two). Obviously the last thing I want to do is break something and lock myself out of these accounts.

Has anyone made the leap of faith and installed IOS 11? If so, and you use 2FA apps such as Symantec VIP Access or Google Authenticator, did you run into any difficulties?
Updated iOS on two iPhone 7's and two iPad minis. No issues, the UI can be a little persnickety. My Messages app got stuck in landscape mode and I had to close and re-open it to fix. That and about 2 or 3 other small, one time annoyances. This is expected for any update on day 1. I'm sure they'll patch things up soon.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

BC_Doc wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:51 am I think the most important feature is the “Do Not Disturb— Driving” function. Texts don’t come through while I’m driving, nor do telephone calls unless the phone is paired to the vehicle stereo via Blue Tooth for hands-free phone calls. I am a big, big fan of this safety feature—I am verry happy to see it in the new iOS and so far satisfied with how it works. I suspect it will save some lives.
It doesn't know if you are driving or riding in the passenger seat or on public transit. I expect very few people will enable the feature but it gives Apple some CYA from lawsuits.
BC_Doc

Post by BC_Doc »

stan1 wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:52 pm
BC_Doc wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:51 am I think the most important feature is the “Do Not Disturb— Driving” function. Texts don’t come through while I’m driving, nor do telephone calls unless the phone is paired to the vehicle stereo via Blue Tooth for hands-free phone calls. I am a big, big fan of this safety feature—I am verry happy to see it in the new iOS and so far satisfied with how it works. I suspect it will save some lives.
It doesn't know if you are driving or riding in the passenger seat or on public transit. I expect very few people will enable the feature but it gives Apple some CYA from lawsuits.
I suspect/hope insurance companies may lead the way here— along the lines of, “If you install call-blocking on your phone (that doesn’t allow cheating), we’ll grant you an x-percent discount on your premium.”
SittingOnTheFence

Post by SittingOnTheFence »

oldcomputerguy wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:52 pm Has anyone made the leap of faith and installed IOS 11?
Updated 2 iPhone 6 & iPad pro. Noticed the iPad battery went down fairly fast. I haven't yet noticed that on my iPhone. Checking web there are a number of posts regarding the battery & ios11. One post measured a 60% dropoff in battery life between charges.
bluebolt

Post by bluebolt »

There has never been a feature so compelling that I've felt the need to update as soon as a new OS version is available. Saves me the trouble from the initial inevitable issues. I just wait until the first major patch which is usually much better.
takeshi

Post by takeshi »

oldcomputerguy wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:52 pm Has anyone made the leap of faith and installed IOS 11? If so, and you use 2FA apps such as Symantec VIP Access or Google Authenticator, did you run into any difficulties?
I've been running it since it was in beta with no issues aside from shorter battery life and some apps not working like Wundermap. I don't user Google Authenticator but I've had no problems with Microsoft Authenticator. Used to to use VIP Access for work but we switched away a long time ago.
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

harrington wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:46 amI put it on my 5s and it works fine.
I was going to wait a bit, but seeing this thread made me impatient so I loaded it up on my 5s and it's working fine too. There's some issue about wireless not turning off completely, but I haven't encountered it yet. Biggest change I noticed so far is the new control center. Like some (new volume and brightness controls are great!), don't like some (airdrop is hidden). Like the idea of customization, but didn't find any of the offerings compelling yet.
cusetownusa

Post by cusetownusa »

I downloaded already on my 6s...works great. Besides the control panel being different I like the fact that it freed up a ton of storage space. I believe I was close to maxing out my space and now I am only using 18.1GB out of 64GB.
OnceARunner

Post by OnceARunner »

inbox788 wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:07 pm
harrington wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:46 amI put it on my 5s and it works fine.
I was going to wait a bit, but seeing this thread made me impatient so I loaded it up on my 5s and it's working fine too. There's some issue about wireless not turning off completely, but I haven't encountered it yet. Biggest change I noticed so far is the new control center. Like some (new volume and brightness controls are great!), don't like some (airdrop is hidden). Like the idea of customization, but didn't find any of the offerings compelling yet.
You may already be aware but you can force touch that part of control center to pull up additional options, like airdrop.
SittingOnTheFence

Post by SittingOnTheFence »

inbox788 wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:07 pm There's some issue about wireless not turning off completely, but I haven't encountered it yet.
This is a design issue. In iOS11, touching the BT or Wireless icon in the control center 'disconnects', it does not turn off the actual radio controlling the signal. If you want to turn off the radio controlling the signal you must do it from settings app for BT or wireless, or use airplane mode. Thus, if you touch, say, the BT icon in the control panel, it will disconnect any connected BT Device but does not turn off BT on your device. It will then allow you to make another BT connection if you try to.
Topic Author
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

Thanks to all for the responses. Seems the consensus is that wireless causing battery drain is an issue with most, but I almost never turn off wireless anyway (seeing as I spend most of my day at home with wifi), so I'm guessing that I personally won't see a big difference.

If I can work up the courage, I'll install and report back.
gasdoc

Post by gasdoc »

The update has noticeably increased the speed on my 6s. I like it

gasdoc
ERISA Stone

Post by ERISA Stone »

It's probably a small thing, but I love the editing feature on screen shots. I spend quite a bit of time during the day navigating my employees through our practice management system. This allows me to be specific in what I'm telling them.

TBF, there's probably been an app that does something similar but I never thought to look for it.

I'm really looking forward to getting more acquainted on my iPad Pro to see if it can be a laptop replacement for me on the road.
WhyNotUs

Post by WhyNotUs »

Experiencing battery drain, all else is well.
I own the next hot stock- VTSAX
cusetownusa

Post by cusetownusa »

WhyNotUs wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:51 am Experiencing battery drain, all else is well.
As a side note to this. I always seem to experience battery drain for a few days after downloading new updates like this and then it goes back to normal or is better than before. I always assumed it had something to do with the new software causing the processor run more to "optimize" everything. For example, this update dramatically increased my storage by reducing the size of my pics and videos. however, it seemed to take a day or to for this to happened and I am assuming the processor was running non stop to shrink the pic/videos.

EDIT: So I just googled this to see if there was any truth to my theories...lol. Found this quote "the moving in phase for new operating system is power intensive: Wi-Fi stays on to download app updates, while the Spotlight search system works to re-index the system. When radios and processors can't sleep, power consumption goes way up."
Topic Author
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

Bit the bullet and installed 11.0.1 (yep, it's bumped) on my iPad Air 2. So far, so good! Vanguard app works, Fidelity app works, Symantec VIP Access app works, Google Authenticator app works, Delta Airlines app works, Sudoku app works (don't laugh, I'm keeping my brain exercised with this one), but perhaps most importantly, the Domino's Pizza app works!

Now let's sit back and see how long until I have to charge the battery.
jerryk68

Post by jerryk68 »

Downloaded it to my 5s withing a couple days of the release. I am a podcast listener and the podcast format has changed a lot. Maybe to early to comment but it seems very confusing. Not a fan so far but I'll give it couple weeks before passing judgement. For example, you have to search each podcast to find out the length of time the segment runs. The plus to this update is gave me about 3.5 GB extra space.
Kurmudjon

Post by Kurmudjon »

bluebolt wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:24 am There has never been a feature so compelling that I've felt the need to update as soon as a new OS version is available. Saves me the trouble from the initial inevitable issues. I just wait until the first major patch which is usually much better.
My approach as well.
“Some of its magic some of its tragic but I had a good life all the way.”