Phone Techies .....

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
J295

Phone Techies .....

Post by J295 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:52 am

I have the 5s (quit smirking). Battery getting weak and with technology changes I'm told it's time for an upgrade. I use it for texting, email, airline apps, remote banking, calendar, etc.

Do I now move the the 7, 8, or X? (love my Google tablet but not thinking about a Google phone right now).
Where do I purchase and what do I do with my 5s?

Cost isn't an issue per se (though I don't want to spend $$ to have the latest bells and whistles if I won't use them).

Appreciate your insights.

silverlitegs

Re: Phone Techies .....

Post by silverlitegs » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:59 am

From the features you listed, you would be fine with previous gen iphone. Possibly visit an apple store or your carrier and see if they offer a trade in allowance for your 5s and any deals they might have. Also visit ebay and see what you can get an iphone 6/6s/7 for.

dcabler

Post by dcabler » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:00 am

My daughter has a 5s. Had some issues with it a couple of weeks ago, but just before apple care ran out, they replaced it. A few days later, problems with the new one and it got replaced under warranty. A few days after that, same thing again. My daughter now finally have a stable, new 5s.

Her mother and I switched to Android (Motorola G4, specifically) after our 4s's died. It was purely driven by cost. We can do everything on it that we cared about on our iphones. And we could buy and replace our G4 3 or 4 times for the cost of a single Iphone 8. When my daughter's latest 5s dies, I am not looking forward to the argument when we switch her to an Android device (unless she wants to pay for it herself) :annoyed

Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:02 am

I've got a 5 (you thought the smirking was bad for you?!), and I'm going with the 7+. I don't need the latest processor, as I've heard it's mainly for high-end applications like augmented reality, or wireless charging. I'm also not ready to get rid of the home button, and I'm not an early adopter of, technology like FaceID. My dad is upgrading from a 6 to the 8+. He's actually a little more into tech than me, and he definitely has more means than me. :D I'm gonna hold just a little while after the 8 ships to see if I can pick up a refurb 7+. I'll probably pull the trigger before Christmas. My wife has the 7, and I'm satisfied with the photos and videos she's able to take of our young children. That's what I'm most looking forward to in my new phone. Well, that and iOS 11.

I'm hoping to get $100 for my old 5 in excellent condition, though I'm banking on $0. I'm not really sure if that's realistic. I'll subscribe to this topic for the input from others.

JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:02 am

One way to go is with a refurbished iPhone: https://www.apple.com/shop/browse/home/ ... als/iphone
They are as good as new.
Last edited by JMacDonald on Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Best Wishes, | Joe

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:07 am

If you want to stay with the same size phone the iPhone SE would be a good fit.

If you move, go to at least the iPhone 6s. Skip the 6. First gen with lots of screen issues.

With iPhone 8 now out, 6s will be the best spot for price/value. But, if money is no object, then a new 7 or 8 would certainly get you another 3-4 years of use.

The 4.7" size is a bit bigger than your 5S, but still smaller than many new phones.

If you want to go Android, the Moto G5/5 Plus is around $250 and offers a bunch of value for that $250. One nice thing if you have an Android tablet is your logins, favorites, apps all are shared and feel/look the same.

I have a Galaxy Tab A and a Moto G4 (32gb version). Pretty good combo.
"We are not here to please, but to provoke thoughtfulness." --Unknown Boglehead

J295

Post by J295 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:26 am

Appreciate the prompt replies and insights. Thanks!

alfaspider

Post by alfaspider » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:33 am

One consideration: the newer you go, the longer your phone is likely to be supported. For example, the iphone5 is not getting ios 11. You want the latest os for security if nothing else. If the difference between a 7 and an 8 is only $100 and the 8 lasts you an extra year, the 8 may make more sense.

pochax

Post by pochax » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:45 am

if cost is not an issue get as much phone as features you would use:
get X if you love that screen
get 8 plus if you want great camera and/or wireless charging but don't need the X's screen
get 7 plus or 7 if you don't need the BEST camera and wireless charging

i would not go as low as 6s if you can afford 7 or 7 plus...worse processor and camera.

BUT - maybe you should consider google if you can wait for Oct 4 and see if their new pixel 2 phones work for you as well.

rustymutt

Post by rustymutt » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:48 am

Put a new battery in it and it's good to go. I've a 5c and love it. Paid for also.

https://www.amazon.com/ilovo-Rechargeab ... ew+battery
I'm amazed at the wealth of Knowledge others gather, and share over a lifetime of learning. The mind is truly unique. It's nice when we use it!

oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:03 am

bloom2708 wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:07 am

Consumer Cellular offers the SE right now at $160.
It’s taken me a lot of years, but I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people. And if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you.

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:06 am

bloom2708 wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:07 am

If you move, go to at least the iPhone 6s. Skip the 6. First gen with lots of screen issues.

With iPhone 8 now out, 6s will be the best spot for price/value. But, if money is no object, then a new 7 or 8 would certainly get you another 3-4 years of use.

The 4.7" size is a bit bigger than your 5S, but still smaller than many new phones.

If you want to go Android, the Moto G5/5 Plus is around $250 and offers a bunch of value for that $250. One nice thing if you have an Android tablet is your logins, favorites, apps all are shared and feel/look the same.

I have a Galaxy Tab A and a Moto G4 (32gb version). Pretty good combo.
+1 for the SE. It is the best value for the money in terms of iPhone.

KlangFool

onourway

Post by onourway » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:16 am

Think hard whether you want a larger phone or not. If so, I'd buy the 7 or the 8 just to make sure it is supported for as long as possible. If you are ok with the same size you have now, or even prefer that size, definitely go with the SE. It's by far the best value in the lineup right now.

DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:54 am

I have an iPhone 5S which is almost 3 yrs old. It's still doing well. I prefer smaller phones so it will be iPhone SE for my next upgrade.
Wiki

flossy21

Post by flossy21 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:58 am

You can replace the battery yourself for cheap. Check out this site. It sells repair kits for just about every piece of tech you can imagine.

https://www.ifixit.com/

mnsportsgeek

Post by mnsportsgeek » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:04 am

If you like the size of the iPhone 5S, the next step up from that would be the iPhone SE. It's easy on the wallet too.

If you want something bigger, I'd go with the iPhone 7. Buy a slightly used one and save a bundle. There really isn't much difference between the 7 and 8, and the 7 will be supported for 4 more years.

I would recommend selling your old phone on swappa and also buying the new one on swappa.
Last edited by mnsportsgeek on Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:05 am

DSInvestor wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:54 am
I have an iPhone 5S which is almost 3 yrs old. It's still doing well. I prefer smaller phones so it will be iPhone SE for my next upgrade.
I prefer smaller phones too. I just upgraded this week from an LG Sunset to an iPhone SE: $199 at Target for a new SE with Tracfone as carrier (actually Verizon). I was already on Tracfone at $6.53/month and all my minutes transferred over. This phone is still in production so obsolesence is a ways off. The internals are a step up from the 6S in an older-style package. The day after I bought it iOS 11 was released. It feels good in my front pocket. Very nice phone.
De gustibus non est disputandum.

palaheel

Post by palaheel » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:59 am

Another "iPhone SE is good" vote. Check the MVNOs that use the carrier of your choice for deals. Also pay attention to the lock period; six months is common.
Markets crash. Markets recover. Inflation takes your money FOREVER.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:31 pm

I use Android phones but I always buy the prior generation. I try to time it when the new one is just out and the old one is discounted. By then the hardware has been shaken out and all the bugs fixed. I am still using my LG4 and it shows no signs of obsolescence.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:50 pm

If you can hang on until Black Friday in November, you can likely score a good deal on a newer iPhone at a low cost.

takeshi

Post by takeshi » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:34 pm

I don't think you really need a tech enthusiasts for recommendations but based on the fact that you've been fine with a 5s, a 7 would probably be fine for you.
J295 wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:52 am
I have the 5s (quit smirking).
No smirking here. Everyone should use whatever it is that works for the individual.

otinkyad

Post by otinkyad » Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:09 am

I've just used Amazon Trade-In to sell old devices, but getting much money for a 4-year-old phone with a bad battery is unlikely.

I'm about to replace my mother's 5s with an SE. She looked at all the models but the others were too big. Even my son prefers his SE. Alas, the March refresh of the SE was modest, and could be the last. I don't like the Plus sizes myself, but I'm guessing Apple has clear sales data to justify the X coming only in the Plus size.

I'm not a fan of the limited markets for smart phones. Android has a great range of devices but terrible software update policies, and Apple just the opposite. I switched to an iPhone after buying 3 Android phones in 2 years just to keep up with the security requirements at work.

SlowMovingInvestor

Post by SlowMovingInvestor » Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:19 am

If you're upgrading iphones, consider switching carriers to Virgin Mobile. One year of free unlimited data service if you buy the phone from them:

https://www.virginmobileusa.com/plans.html

The SE is the most cost effective.

J295

Post by J295 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:23 am

Appreciate all of the insights.

JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:22 am

otinkyad wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:09 am
Alas, the March refresh of the SE was modest, and could be the last.
Well, it is possible for an update on the SE: http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/iphone/n ... 7-3500611/
Best Wishes, | Joe

scooterdog

Post by scooterdog » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:38 am

Was on the iPhone 6 for the past few years, abruptly changed employers, and have been using an SE for 2 months now. Found it to be a little too small after using the larger-screen 6, and with new employer have now agonized between models and what to do: 6S, 6S Plus, 7, 7 Plus, 8, 8 Plus, X (yes that's a lot of choices).

Yesterday I ordered a Mint condition 7 Plus with 256GB for about $750 off of Swappa.
- Looks like Apple only offers 32GB and 128GB as new on their store now
- Apple's refurbished is only 6S or 6S Plus at 128GB maximum
- One concern was screen breakage; Swappa now offers $70 breakage coverage with $50/incident repair (included in the $750 price)

An 8 Plus 256GB with Apple Care Plus would be an eye-watering $1049, a difference of $300. Decided that the wireless charging (only useful in the evenings) and the slight improvements of the 8 over the 7 were not worth it. (If the 'obsolescence factor' was only a $100 differential I would have gone for it, but $300 is a lot for an additional year or so of additional lifetime.)

Wanted the maximum memory, as I take a lot of video, and am still frustrated with the measly 16GB that iPhone 6 had that I struggled with for years. ("Never again" deleting apps like crazy to free up space for additional video while traveling...)

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:26 am

Cricket has the 6 32G model for $299 "for all customers"

https://www.cricketwireless.com/cell-ph ... -gray.html

Just got one for my son (all his friends have one... can't be left out :wink: )

Big Dog

Post by Big Dog » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:36 am

I have had the 6 (regular) since it first sold, and don't plan to upgrade anytime soon. But then, I only use it as a phone, and for e-mails and the like. Rarely use the camera, and wireless charging is not of interest. Plus, I carry my phone in my back pocket and sit on it all day, so not sure about the new glass back.

If my 6 broke today, I'd probably opt to replace it since the 7 is still a little pricey at $550, IMO. But then it may drop again once the X starts to take orders.

EZ James

Post by EZ James » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:51 am

I have an iPhone 6s + which is I like very much but I plan to gift and I also wanted something smaller to tide me over for awhile. The iPhone X is smaller but not yet available and terribly pricey. I very, very rarely use a cell phone for phone calls due to my extreme hearing loss but its improved camera is a very appealing feature for me. Maybe I'll get that later.

So yesterday I ordered an iPhone SE 32 GB for $160 from Tracfone. The online chat guy assured me it was brand new. I notice that refurbs are available at local stores at higher prices and from negative review content I am sure they were not refurbed by Apple.

A link in this thread indicates a new version of the SE is forthcoming and so price reductions are appropriate. But the Apple site still has the SE 32 GB phone is still listed for $349 which puzzles me.

The chat guy says the SIM card is included, the phone will be on Verizon and can be unlocked after one year.

harrington

Post by harrington » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:29 am

I love my 5S....My battery was shot so I put a new one in last week and it works great. Cost me $40 installed. Good as new.

Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:17 am

EZ James wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:51 am
I have an iPhone 6s + which is I like very much but I plan to gift and I also wanted something smaller to tide me over for awhile. The iPhone X is smaller but not yet available and terribly pricey. I very, very rarely use a cell phone for phone calls due to my extreme hearing loss but its improved camera is a very appealing feature for me. Maybe I'll get that later.

So yesterday I ordered an iPhone SE 32 GB for $160 from Tracfone. The online chat guy assured me it was brand new. I notice that refurbs are available at local stores at higher prices and from negative review content I am sure they were not refurbed by Apple.

A link in this thread indicates a new version of the SE is forthcoming and so price reductions are appropriate. But the Apple site still has the SE 32 GB phone is still listed for $349 which puzzles me.

The chat guy says the SIM card is included, the phone will be on Verizon and can be unlocked after one year.
I've only seen unsubstantiated rumors about an SE update, and just as many saying the opposite, and Apple didn't release one this year as some expected after a year.

I'd love to read what you've heard. I have a 5, but I could wait 6 months for an updated SE before I make my decision.

EZ James

Post by EZ James » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:52 pm

"I'd love to read what you've heard. I have a 5, but I could wait 6 months for an updated SE before I make my decision."

Just this link from a message above:

"Well, it is possible for an update on the SE: http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/iphone/n ... 7-3500611/

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:10 pm

J295 wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:52 am
I have the 5s (quit smirking). Battery getting weak and with technology changes I'm told it's time for an upgrade. I use it for texting, email, airline apps, remote banking, calendar, etc.

Do I now move the the 7, 8, or X? (love my Google tablet but not thinking about a Google phone right now).
Where do I purchase and what do I do with my 5s?

Cost isn't an issue per se (though I don't want to spend $$ to have the latest bells and whistles if I won't use them).

Appreciate your insights.
Subconsciously, I think you already know the best answer.

Seriously, it's inexpensive and easy to change the battery on your 5s (and it's even a diy if you're so inclined), and none of the apps you describe make me think you need any more. If you really want a bigger screen and force touch, then I'd suggest a 6S. If you go with a 7, you gain waterproof, but lose the audio jack.