What's a good big e-reader?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Caduceus

What's a good big e-reader?

Post by Caduceus » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:20 am

I want something big enough to be able to read PDF documents in approximately their original letter size (a little smaller is OK, but I have to be able to see the entire page and still have it be readable). The screen also has to be anti-glare (I cannot read on screens that are highly reflective and most glossy laptop screens give me a headache!) These are my only two conditions.

Amazon used to have the Kindle DX, and used versions of it are still available but they are quite expensive - what do you think?

Or any better suggestions?

lazydavid

Re: What's a good big e-reader?

Post by lazydavid » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:55 am

The Kindle DX is really the only option for an e-ink display. Anything else with a large screen was industrial=expensive. I have one and have read a couple of technical books on it. It's good for that. But honestly, for most PDFs you're probably better off with an iPad--yes the screen is reflective, but as long as you can keep direct light off of it, the glare is not bad.

Also, not all computer screens are glossy. My monitors both at work and at home have a matte finish and do not have much glare at all.

If you do get a Kindle DX, make sure its the Graphite version, not the White one. The screen is FAR better, and the internals are a little newer (based on the Kindle Keyboard vs. the Kindle 2).

Caduceus

Post by Caduceus » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:59 am

lazydavid wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:55 am
The Kindle DX is really the only option for an e-ink display. Anything else with a large screen was industrial=expensive. I have one and have read a couple of technical books on it. It's good for that. But honestly, for most PDFs you're probably better off with an iPad--yes the screen is reflective, but as long as you can keep direct light off of it, the glare is not bad.

Also, not all computer screens are glossy. My monitors both at work and at home have a matte finish and do not have much glare at all.

If you do get a Kindle DX, make sure its the Graphite version, not the White one. The screen is FAR better, and the internals are a little newer (based on the Kindle Keyboard vs. the Kindle 2).
Thank you! What a detailed and helpful reply. May I ask if you also have a Kindle Paperwhite - how does the quality of the DX compare to the Paperwhite in terms of readability? If it's the same or better, I think I will go ahead and buy a DX. A graphite one, as you suggest.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:11 am

Caduceus wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:59 am
Thank you! What a detailed and helpful reply. May I ask if you also have a Kindle Paperwhite - how does the quality of the DX compare to the Paperwhite in terms of readability? If it's the same or better, I think I will go ahead and buy a DX. A graphite one, as you suggest.
I have quite a few Kindles actually:

Kindle 1
Kindle 3 (Keyboard)
Kindle DX (Graphite)
Paperwhite (1st Generation)
Voyager
Oasis

The quality of the text on the DX is pretty close to the 1st and 2nd gen Paperwhite. The newer paperwhites got the screen from the Voyager, which is another BIG step up. Be aware however, that it does not have the integrated frontlight that the paperwhite does--I don't think it would even be possible on a screen this big. This obviously means you can't read it in a dark room--you need a lamp, just like a real book. It also means the screen is not "white" like the paperwhite is, more of a sepia tone. But the text is quite sharp.

mouses

Post by mouses » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:57 am

I like my Nook HD+. Maybe you could buy one used. I have 1000 books on it and haven't even needed to use any of the extra storage. The vertical dimension seems to be about 9 inches. I am too lazy to actually measure it.

Most of my books are not Barnes&Noble books, rather they're kindle books. I load the Nook HD+ up with epub books via a USB cable from my laptop, which sees the Nook as a hard drive. Calibre will turn most book formats into epub.

SuzBanyan

Post by SuzBanyan » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:37 am

In my opinion, my Kindle Paperwhite is too small for reading .pdf documents. My favorite is the standard size iPad. I read with it flat on the desk or my lap. With the IPad Pro, I can annotate with the Apple Pencil. I rarely read documents on my computer after I got the iPad Pro.

For books, I love my Paperwhite.

Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:47 am

The new iPad or iPad Mini 4 make great e-readers and so much more. We use ours much more than our Kindle Paperweight :D

CyberBob

Post by CyberBob » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:08 am

Does your PDF document have to stay in PDF?
If not, convert it to Kindle format by emailing it to your kindle using the Send to Kindle convert function. Once you do that, you can change font sizes and such just like any normal Kindle book.

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:32 pm

An anti-glare screen protector might mitigate what sounds like your main objection to reading the documents on a full-size tablet. I still don't think it will be as nice as reading on an e-ink screen, but I know where you're coming from with regards to wanting to view PDF's a full sheet at a time, and one of the downsides of e-ink is the annoyance of panning with the extremely slow refresh rate they have.

Hyperborea

Post by Hyperborea » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:05 pm

I have a somewhat similar need. I'm downsizing and getting rid of a lot of stuff and have been having some of my books digitized to PDF. I want to be able to access them as I travel without carrying all the paper.

If it doesn't have to be e-ink then a possible solution is one of the flip Chromebooks. There are of course plusses and minuses over e-ink. You can get a larger screen size, colour, faster PDF rendering (e-ink devices have pretty low end processors), and the ability to use it for other things too. You have to deal with more weight, shorter battery life (~10 hours), and higher cost (1.5x to 2.5x of the current used Kindle DX price). I'm waiting to see what ends up coming out this fall as there are a number of interesting models in the pipeline. Out of the current models something like the Samsung Chromebook Plus/Pro would be a decent choice. Depending on what ships this fall that might be my choice.

Caduceus

Post by Caduceus » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:38 pm

I'm really only going to be reading financial statements on this device, so I'm not too worried about getting locked out of Amazon's or some other vendor's ecosystem.

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone!