Should I even bother with buying a school picture?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
z91

Should I even bother with buying a school picture?

Post by z91 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:18 pm

My son just started Kindergarten and for various reasons, is not photogenic. It takes a lot of time for a good photographer to get him smiling, and IMO we got really lucky the past couple of times for Preschool photos.

This time around..the company doing it is a small one that apparently only does work for this school district, and from what I can tell, this is all the business they get for the entire year. I looked at the order sheet, and to summarize the issues I have:

1) The reviews for this place are abysmal. Lots of parents complaining about the poor quality of their photos, and wanting to get the district to change the vendor. The district has refused..
2) The order form says they will NOT take his picture unless we prepay online or hand a check before sitting down. It's only preorder, unlike other places we've seen that allow us to pick and choose photos taken, then order however many we want.
3) They have a huge note stating if our check is canceled or bounces, they reserve the right to debit our account directly, or send us to collections.

It's a picture with a blue background, that I can probably get taken any place..The cheapest package this place offers is $40, and it just doesn't seem worth it to me. My wife really wants it though for sentimental reasons, but I really hate funding outfits like this..

Carson

Re: Should I even bother with buying a school picture?

Post by Carson » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:25 pm

Nope. I have taken my kids to a department store studio each year for headshot style photos. I like that I can review before purchase, it takes 15 mins and costs $4 per sheet that I want. I can get exactly the sheets I need for family.

ETA, my oldest was super cute up till about 4 years but it is very challenging the last 3 years to get a natural smile out of him.

I do still 'let' them be photographed by the school if they want an ID card or class photo, but I don't feel obligated to buy.
30-something personal finance enthusiast, just get getting started on this whole portfolio thing.

Teague

Post by Teague » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:27 pm

I think the thread title should be something like "My wife is trying to make me do something I don't want to, so how do I handle that problem." Sorry, I just call 'em as I see 'em.

You're not going to change the quality or behavior of the photographer, unfortunately.

So, do you want your wife to be mad at you for who knows how long, or do you want to give up trying to "win" this disagreement? I know which choice would make my life easier, and which choice would make it harder. Good luck.
Last edited by Teague on Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Semper Augustus

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:30 pm

t60 wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:18 pm
My son just started Kindergarten and for various reasons, is not photogenic. It takes a lot of time for a good photographer to get him smiling, and IMO we got really lucky the past couple of times for Preschool photos.

This time around..the company doing it is a small one that apparently only does work for this school district, and from what I can tell, this is all the business they get for the entire year. I looked at the order sheet, and to summarize the issues I have:

1) The reviews for this place are abysmal. Lots of parents complaining about the poor quality of their photos, and wanting to get the district to change the vendor. The district has refused..
2) The order form says they will NOT take his picture unless we prepay online or hand a check before sitting down. It's only preorder, unlike other places we've seen that allow us to pick and choose photos taken, then order however many we want.
3) They have a huge note stating if our check is canceled or bounces, they reserve the right to debit our account directly, or send us to collections.

It's a picture with a blue background, that I can probably get taken any place..The cheapest package this place offers is $40, and it just doesn't seem worth it to me. My wife really wants it though for sentimental reasons, but I really hate funding outfits like this..
Is this part of a group photo session and/or getting put into a school book of some sort?

If not (it sounds "not"), then... just get a NICE photo with a similar background (if you wish) and a similar style/attire (if you wish).

What matters (or should) is that you'll have the photo in the future for those precious memories.

If this is something that must be shared with others in the school, that's a different problem.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:40 pm

Just had this conversation with my wife last week when the Kindergarten photo packet came. We ended up just grabbing the cheapest order for a bunch of bigger-size wallet photos.

The total was $7. I can live with that!

celia

Post by celia » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:42 pm

Are you SURE they don't take EVERYONE's photo, even in a group shot? The administration usually holds onto these for identification purposes. They also put them in the school "yearbook" at graduation time.

Why don't the parents get together and find another photographer and all take their kids there after school? Or have a picnic in the park where the whole class is invited? It would only take one time for the photographer showing up and there be no-one to be photographed for him/her to stop coming. (He/she is possibly a relative/friend of a school board member or principal.)

This would also be a good topic to bring up at back-to-school night: What is the process for us to find a decent photographer for the kid's school portraits who is also reasonably priced so that everyone could afford to buy at least a minimum set of photos? (ie, imply that the homeless/ unemployed/ poorer children should be able to receive at least the group shot)

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:41 pm

Under those terms, there is no way I would pre-order. I'd probably be ok with the usual racket though - the deal where the photographer gets permission to take photos with no obligation to buy and tries to sell them to you afterwards.

If you want basic posed photos of your kid at this age, while very generic, the price of the department stores is hard to beat. I'd just plan to do something fun (just not so fun it leaves him exhausted) before hand so he's in a good mood.

I wonder if the district gets a share of the proceeds. Otherwise, why bother refusing to consider changing photographers?

Teague

Post by Teague » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:50 pm

iamlucky13 wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:41 pm

I wonder if the district gets a share of the proceeds. Otherwise, why bother refusing to consider changing photographers?
That's the usual arrangement. The photographer agrees to "donate" a certain percentage of their proceeds to the school or district. This may or may not be spelled out anywhere in writing. But if the photographer kept their part of the bargain last year, and they're offering at least as good a kickback donation as the competition, they will probably keep the contract indefinitely. These outfits usually don't get chosen based on artistic merit.
Semper Augustus

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:50 pm

Happy wife, happy life. Reviews online may not be accurate. Usually, they take the class picture on the same day, everyone gets a copy of class picture. Do it and you be judge if they are bad or not, you may be surprised that your child smiles in them since they are with their classmates. If they come out poorly, chalk it up to experience and play it by ear, year by year.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:52 pm

The school pictures are laughable. The photogs stink. Get them if you want them for posterity. But if you want good pictures, find a good photographer. You'll pay a little more, but man, the difference is stunning.

We would walk out of a session with our private photographer thinking, "Well that was terrible day and waste of money." Two weeks later, we'd receive these beautiful pictures. I am not a big "picture" person. But I'm now glad we spent the money once the kids were born.

We bought one from the school last year. My wife is the "photographer" in the family. I could have take a better picture than the school photographer with my eyes closed. Could barely tell it was my kid. Ugh.

JT

remomnyc

Post by remomnyc » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:10 pm

At all my childrens' schools, starting from daycare, the school photo was a fundraiser, with proceeds benefiting the school. I didn't buy it one year because my son looked dorky, and now I regret not having that photo the year he only knew how to fake smile. Even bad pictures (bad hair, smile, etc) are memorable, maybe even more so. Make your wife happy. Buy the cheapest packet each year.

davebo

Post by davebo » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:40 pm

I think you're overthinking this. This isn't a photo shoot, it's lining a bunch of kids up and snapping a quick picture against a 80's style background.. You'll look back and laugh at the fake smiles and messy hair. I kinda doubt that they wouldn't take the kids picture though, they always include it in the class picture.

SR II

Post by SR II » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:43 pm

When our two kids were in school, we always bought at least the cheapest "package" available for posterity. That said, we were always able to review the pics before we bought them. Thank goodness!

When my older son brought home his first grade photos, he proudly handed them to me. I saw his adorable face smiling at me through the oval window on the front of the 8X10 envelope. I thought to myself "Wow, these look great!"

I pulled the stack from the envelope and gasped. My son looked terrific: every hair in place, perfect smile, uniform shirt on straight and looking directly at the camera...BUT the photographer's assistant's hand, with a thumbnail bitten down to the nubs, mind you, was grabbing my son's left shoulder! This wasn't visible through the envelope's transparent window. Looked as if they were so rushed, he put my son down on the stool and didn't even have time to get his hand out of the frame before the photog snapped the picture.

And, you're telling me that quality control was also so rushed, nobody saw this as they packaged the photos?

It was the only time I returned them to the school and didn't buy any. That was the last time the school used this company.

SR II

Post by SR II » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:47 pm

davebo wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:40 pm
...I kinda doubt that they wouldn't take the kids picture though, they always include it in the class picture.
At our local schools, the individual photos are also added to each student's permanent records. So, they do take each kid's pic, whether the parents buy them or not.

ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:25 pm

We buy the minimum package in the fall. It includes a class photo, which is nice to put names to faces with during the year. I consider the whole concept nearly obsolete, though. We can take better photos at home.

Spring pictures are interesting, since they send home every photo package, and then bill for what you keep. My jaw dropped when I first saw it. It even included a photo puzzle. We do not buy anything in the spring.
Last edited by ClevrChico on Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

miamivice

Post by miamivice » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:27 pm

I believe they distribute your child's pictures in class. Your child will probably be heartbroken if all of his classmates get pictures but he gets none.

If nothing else, for the sake of your child's ego, buy a small package. The joy it will bring to your child is worth the small cost.

Whakamole

Post by Whakamole » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:20 am

miamivice wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:27 pm
I believe they distribute your child's pictures in class. Your child will probably be heartbroken if all of his classmates get pictures but he gets none.

If nothing else, for the sake of your child's ego, buy a small package. The joy it will bring to your child is worth the small cost.
Is this new? Maybe that was the case when I was in school, but I do not remember it. I don't think I've seen a photo of myself as a child for years. My parents sent me some yearbooks a few years ago, most went into the trash unopened.

My parents likely got more out of the photo than I ever did.

MDfive21

Post by MDfive21 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:01 am

we just buy the cheapest 5x7 package they have and scan/archive it. if this is your first kid and you don't have the kinder pics 10, 20, 30 years from now you will regret it. just get it, knowing that school pics are not olan-mills and have a laugh.

one of our favorites is the one where my then pre-k daughter is flipping out in terror in the school easter bunny's lap. it's a great pic.

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:10 am

School pictures are and always have been a racket. I just buy the cheapest package offered, which is usually buried in the fine print under a long list of refrigerator magnets, coffee cups, mousepads, etc. Kids love them and will laugh about them when they're grown. That's worth something.

flamesabers

Post by flamesabers » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:37 am

t60 wrote:
Is your wife okay if your son get his picture taken by a private photographer? As much as your wife wants to get his school pictures, I'm doubtful she'll be very happy if the pictures are of poor quality. In 10 or 20 years I think what will really matter is quality and not whether the pictures were taken at school or in the studio of a private photographer.

Toons

Post by Toons » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:40 am

We took our own pictures of our son.
Worked out just fine.
:happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:42 am

runner3081 wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:40 pm
Just had this conversation with my wife last week when the Kindergarten photo packet came.
As did I. My wife takes 10 pictures of our kids a day, I was totally confused as to why she thought it was necessary to buy these, which will be taken with a camera no better than hers and by someone likely less skilled than she. Not to mention, her best friend's husband is an extremely skilled photographer who takes our family pictures annually; he would have done this for us for free. At least I talked her out of buying one of the larger packages.

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:46 am

Personally I think the time has passed for this "school picture" tradition. Good Photographers are plentiful out there while the ones the school gets on contract are usually mediocre at best. While it might be cheaper buying a 5x7 from the school than going to a professional it might also be cheaper to just take some pictures your self with your smart phone.
The pictures that my wife cherishes the most are the "first day of school pictures". Every year we would pose the kids on the front porch in their first-day-of-school clothes. The pictures the school took were always hit or miss - I don't know what we did with them.
My daughters high school signed a contract with a photography such that if you wanted to be in the yearbook you had to pay a $50 sitting fee to get in (after-which of course they tried to sell many packages in the hundreds of dollars). We were floored that the school did that (especially since we had our own professional photographer lined up to take the "senior pictures").

flamesabers

Post by flamesabers » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:49 am

Toons wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:40 am
Worked out just fine.
That's what my family ended up doing for my college graduation pictures. My jaw dropped when I saw the prices that were being charged by the photographer the university used to take pictures of students during the ceremony. Instead of paying the outrageous prices, my family took some pictures of me before the ceremony.

gasdoc

Post by gasdoc » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:50 am

Like a previous poster, we get the cheapest 5x7 available each year. No, they are not high quality. Yes, we take lots of good photo's year round (I am not half bad with a good SLR). At important milestones we had professional photo's done. I have all of the photo's scanned and kept on my computer, on a backup hard drive, and in the cloud. While those school pictures are not that great, they are fun to look at and only now are worth the "$40." I believe this is a fight you will lose (with DW), and in the end you won't really mind having given in.

gasdoc

gasdoc

Post by gasdoc » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:51 am

flamesabers wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:49 am
Toons wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:40 am
Worked out just fine.
That's what my family ended up doing for my college graduation pictures. My jaw dropped when I saw the prices that were being charged by the photographer the university used to take pictures of students during the ceremony. Instead of paying the outrageous prices, my family took some pictures of me before the ceremony.

College is different. You are no longer cute!!!!! :shock:

gasdoc

azurekep

Post by azurekep » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:56 am

celia wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:42 pm
What is the process for us to find a decent photographer for the kid's school portraits who is also reasonably priced so that everyone could afford to buy at least a minimum set of photos? (ie, imply that the homeless/ unemployed/ poorer children should be able to receive at least the group shot)
Don't worry. The group shot will eventually show up on the Internet. Somebody will scan it, post it online, and it will be free. For all of posterity to see.

Hopefully, though, whoever posts it won't list the actual names.

Just a joke about all the bad photographers... It's good training for when your kids get their driver's license photos. The photographers at the DMV are as surly as possible so that everyone's picture is as bad as possible. Maybe school districts could consider hiring THEM if they insist on hiring bad photographers. Undoubtedly cheaper...

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:00 pm

t60 wrote:

There are two reasons why we opt to get school pictures taken of our kids. The first is so they are included in the school annual. I still have all my old annuals from school and they are cherished possessions of mine and it is neat to show my kids how I looked in school. Two, we have one of those picture displays that holds a wallet sized picture of each of our kids every grade from K thru 12. My parents have one of myself and brother as well. Again, it is nice to see those pictures but one could take your own picture and put in them as well. We also get some to put in small picture frames and give out as presents every year. As the kids get older, ours like signing them and trading pictures with others in their class. Not so much when they were younger though.

2) This has been standard practice since I was in grade school many decades ago. They give you an order form of many packages to choose from and you write a check and send it in the day of picture taking.
3) This is also standard practice no matter who you do check business with.
4) Read the form again. Just about every picture place I have dealt with has options to buy single large pictures or one sheet of wallet sized, etc. Some will just sell you the digital image so you can print out as many as you like. If $40 is truly the basic package, you are getting taken for a ride.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:02 pm

lthenderson wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:00 pm
t60 wrote:

There are two reasons why we opt to get school pictures taken of our kids. The first is so they are included in the school annual. I still have all my old annuals from school and they are cherished possessions of mine and it is neat to show my kids how I looked in school. Two, we have one of those picture displays that holds a wallet sized picture of each of our kids every grade from K thru 12. My parents have one of myself and brother as well. Again, it is nice to see those pictures but one could take your own picture and put in them as well. We also get some to put in small picture frames and give out as presents every year. As the kids get older, ours like signing them and trading pictures with others in their class. Not so much when they were younger though.
Your child will be in the yearbook regardless of whether or not you pay for school pictures.

squirm

Post by squirm » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:06 pm

Just pay the $40, your kids are only kids once.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:07 pm

We haven't bought school pictures in years. The quality is poor and most of the time the smile is fake.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:10 pm

stoptothink wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:02 pm
lthenderson wrote:
t60 wrote:

Your child will be in the yearbook regardless of whether or not you pay for school pictures.
This. We don't buy them and they are still in yearbooks.

We can afford them but to exclude kids who can't from the yearbook would be pretty inexcusable.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:15 pm

stoptothink wrote:
lthenderson wrote:
t60 wrote:

Perhaps at a public school but at their small private school, they either have to pay ten dollars and submit their own picture or buy the minimum package which I think was $13.50 this year to be in the school annual. They get their annuals from the same place that takes their pictures so that also plays a part in it probably as well.

Easy Rhino

Post by Easy Rhino » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:50 pm

I just got my daughter's kindergarten photo back.

She usually has a great smile in photos, but this one it looks like she's farting while biting a lemon.

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:05 pm

stoptothink wrote:
lthenderson wrote:
t60 wrote:

Not in our public school system.

rob65

Post by rob65 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:33 pm

Oldest child? If so, here's the bad news. You will overpay for 13 years worth of pictures. You will buy ridiculously overpriced items for school fundraisers that make more money for the fundraising company than the school. You will patiently point out that requesting a nice tax deductible contribution might actually raise more money. You will lose this battle. Buy the cheapest package they offer and move on with life.

Pinotage

Post by Pinotage » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:35 pm

Easy Rhino wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:50 pm
She usually has a great smile in photos, but this one it looks like she's farting while biting a lemon.
MEGA lol

Lost it, still haven't gotten it back.

Pigeon

Post by Pigeon » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:03 pm

The class pictures are always terrible, IMO. Our school uses a large commercial outfit that's pretty widespread. I agree with the pp that it's not a photo shoot. Don't expect that. It' s an assembly line. They also make you order before you see the pictures. I have bought the minimum to get the class photo. I take my kids elsewhere if we want decent photos. We've actually had good luck with JCPenney and there are always promotions.

Pigeon

Post by Pigeon » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:05 pm

rob65 wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:33 pm
Oldest child? If so, here's the bad news. You will overpay for 13 years worth of pictures. You will buy ridiculously overpriced items for school fundraisers that make more money for the fundraising company than the school. You will patiently point out that requesting a nice tax deductible contribution might actually raise more money. You will lose this battle. Buy the cheapest package they offer and move on with life.
I didn't have any luck getting the PTA to ask for direct donations, but every year at back to school night, I would write them a honking big check anyway and be done with it. They would take my check, although it confused them and they were taken aback when I would decline the overpriced wrapping paper. The fundraiser catalogs would go directly in the trash.

Maya1234

Post by Maya1234 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:29 am

I hated paying for that class picture when my kids were growing up. Always such a bad picture in which I thought they looked terrible. Only now that they are grown .....

these are among my favorite pictures. They probably captured what my kids often " really" looked like after a day of school/play. A mess....an absolutely adorable mess. Money well spent I know now ( but get the cheapest package you can!)